• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

ROM ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread
Tethering works, and I can see log messages about successful hardware acceleration setup.

VoLTE should work with all carriers supported on stock — it's Wi-Fi calling that's finnicky, and I converted the carrier configs from stock for use in AOSP — but your mileage may vary. It works for me on a T-Mobile US MVNO, as does Wi-Fi calling.
I see this partially covered in the FAQ but I need further explanation. I have Sprint currently and on a legacy plan without hotspot. Roms in the past allow me to use the phone data to hotspot my laptop when I am working in an area without wifi. Will this rom?

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
I see this partially covered in the FAQ but I need further explanation. I have Sprint currently and on a legacy plan without hotspot. Roms in the past allow me to use the phone data to hotspot my laptop when I am working in an area without wifi. Will this rom?
I don't know about Sprint, but this ROM does include a common patch related to tethering APNs. Whether that's the only change you need depends on your carrier.

mindyabiznis

Oct 16, 2011
@kdrag0n can you tell me if it's possible to change the colour of the accent on lock screen clock?

It's set at blue, tried changing theme colours but doesn't change.

When I had first installed this ROM I can't remember what I was doing but it changed to red briefly.

Also I installed Google dialer and systemized it to try and get call screening but it doesn't show up as an option, it's in priv-app but?

Last edited:

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
@kdrag0n can you tell me if it's possible to change the colour of the accent on lock screen clock?

It's set at blue, tried changing theme colours but doesn't change.

When I had first installed this ROM I can't remember what I was doing but it changed to red briefly.

Also I installed Google dialer and systemized it to try and get call screening but it doesn't show up as an option, it's in priv-app but?
The color of the typographical clock is derived from the wallpaper and can't be changed.

Reactions: mindyabiznis

mindyabiznis

Oct 16, 2011
So I've managed to get AccA working on this ROM 3 nights in a row and seems to be stable.

What I did was set v2020.10.28 in the app settings.

Have the magisk module activated as well.

Switch is dc/input_suspend.

This switch successfully restarts charging when it drops below threshold as well, I know 1 or 2 people mentioned they couldn't get it to do that.

Also I have charging power control set to 4200mv and 1000ma, just for good measure.

The only issue I have is that it always seems to terminate charging 2% above what I set so I have it set at 80, it stops at 82 so if you don't want it above 80 try setting at 78 although YMMV.

Just thought I'd post this to let people know it does work and hopefully this can help others :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitharn
Question of curiosity. How does the audio/music playback stack up against the stock ROM vs ProtonAOSP with the Proton kernel? I ask as I never bothered with stock, as soon as I got the phone I unlocked it and installed both this ROM and kernel, and I have found I absolutely love the quality of audio I am hearing! I haven't even bothered to mess with the equalizer like I usually do.

Also, so far I am loving this system, it is working very well for me! So please keep up the good work!

I also would like to donate more than coffee to you some day when I can afford it! For now I will settle for a few dollars while I am in university.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Question of curiosity. How does the audio/music playback stack up against the stock ROM vs ProtonAOSP with the Proton kernel? I ask as I never bothered with stock, as soon as I got the phone I unlocked it and installed both this ROM and kernel, and I have found I absolutely love the quality of audio I am hearing! I haven't even bothered to mess with the equalizer like I usually do.

Also, so far I am loving this system, it is working very well for me! So please keep up the good work!

I also would like to donate more than coffee to you some day when I can afford it! For now I will settle for a few dollars while I am in university.
Audio playback should be identical to stock as nothing has been changed, though whether Adaptive Sound is enabled by default might vary. Thank you for the support!

eac

Apr 29, 2008
Braila
HTC U12+
Huawei P40 Pro
I have no idea how this usually works or how it behaves, but it's probably AOSP Dialer's default behavior. I took a quick look at the settings and found Calls -> Additional settings -> Call waiting. Have you tried changing it?
[...]
Well, my friend, that option (Call waiting) is something I want to be enable. I don't want to change it. I want to be notified during a call that a second call is coming. Like the other phones I had until now, did. What I don't want is that 2nd call to take over the 1st one, without any notice.
And look what else I've noticed regarding this.
If I have the phone off the ear, so if I have a speaker call, then I see somebody else is calling me, but I continue to have my 1st call, like it's normal.
That automaticaly taken over of the 1st call by the 2nd one is hapening only when I have a normal call, with the phone on my ear.

Reactions: mindyabiznis

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Well, my friend, that option (Call waiting) is something I want to be enable. I don't want to change it. I want to be notified during a call that a second call is coming. Like the other phones I had until now, did. What I don't want is that 2nd call to take over the 1st one, without any notice.
And look what else I've noticed regarding this.
If I have the phone off the ear, so if I have a speaker call, then I see somebody else is calling me, but I continue to have my 1st call, like it's normal.
That automaticaly taken over of the 1st call by the 2nd one is hapening only when I have a normal call, with the phone on my ear.
By "changing it," I meant enabling or disabling it respectively depending on your preference. Check the help text for the setting in the Phone app.

I have no idea how it's supposed to behave because I've never tried to use multiple calls at the same time, but ProtonAOSP inherits phone and dialer behavior from AOSP. It's very unlikely that we'll modify anything related to calling.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
ProtonAOSP 11.5.1 has been released.

Changes:
• June security patch and feature drop base
Added status bar icon and clock customization
Added 8 font styles, including playful, serif, and AOSP fonts
Added performance and other technical details to website
• Improved dark UI color scheme
• Fixed compatibility with some apps (e.g. Brevent)
• Fixed instability in media-heavy apps (e.g. long video calls)
• Fixed recents text selection in Pixel Launcher
• Fixed unknown characters (tofu) in some text
• Updated Now Playing song database
• Updated permissions for Google apps
• Updated website link in Settings
• Updated system fonts

Website
Install from browser (recommended)
Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.

dmbardal

Sep 9, 2010
Norway
Google Pixel 5
I hate to ask, but here it goes:

Will downloading/installing Proton and Magisk break SafetyNET and/or Microsoft InTune?
I read SafetyNET should be fine, but InTune is a must for me since I use it for work.

Also, if I unlock my Pixel 5 and install this + root, is it possible to revert to stock without any traces afterwards?
Had a Samsung S10e, and Knox more or less software-bricked the phone for me since Knox got tripped.

CrashTestDroid

Jul 12, 2013
I hate to ask, but here it goes:

Will downloading/installing Proton and Magisk break SafetyNET and/or Microsoft InTune?
I read SafetyNET should be fine, but InTune is a must for me since I use it for work.

Also, if I unlock my Pixel 5 and install this + root, is it possible to revert to stock without any traces afterwards?
Had a Samsung S10e, and Knox more or less software-bricked the phone for me since Knox got tripped.
There's no Knox so it's easy to reset to stock without leaving a trace if you like. Can't speak for In tune but mine passes Safetynet as expected. You can use MagiskHide for troublesome apps if there's an issue.

mindyabiznis

Oct 16, 2011
Got an issue this morning,

Woke up and got a notification saying "this phone is not capable of using Google pay anymore click here for details"

So I click and it tells me I am running a rooted rom or custom software and as a result Google pay has been disabled.

Has there been a sneaky Google play services update that we don't know about because Google pay was working fine until this morning.

Also in magisk safetynet test fails now, nothing on my phone has been installed or modified since yesterday.

EDIT: I have not flashed latest version of protonAOSP yet but only because I've been busy and I haven't had the time to flash then root and re-enable my magisk modules.

EDIT EDIT: so used magiskhide props config, reset fingerprint to pixel 5, rebooted, passed magisk safetynet test, Google pay still reporting card as "not setup" and not showing "device certified" in play store settings. So fully cleared data of play store and play services, rebooted, had to re setup my card but it's all working again now.

Would be interested to know what tripped and effectively completely broke gpay though, it's not like I've done anything that would cause safetynet to fail since I last updated proton, and I've been using it daily for gpay.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirSeanM10Pro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP 11.5.2 has been released. Sorry for the delay this month; I've been busy with other projects, but here's the full release.

Changes:
    • July security patch
    • Added search to website
    Added red, green, and blue color balance settings
    Added alarm, ringtone, and notification sounds from Plasma Mobile
    • Added HarmonyOS Sans font style
    Extended font styles to affect third-party apps (reboot to apply changes)
    Improved Night Light quality using chromatic adaptation (reduced color distortion)
    • Improved Ambient EQ quality (with modern color science: CAT16)
    • More gradual transition when turning Night Light on/off
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added setting for increased touch sensitivity
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G, 4/XL: Added "Saturated" color profile
    • Pixel 5, 4a 5G: Fixed Night Sight crashes in Google Camera
    • Pixel 4/XL, 2/XL: Fixed Active Edge instability with multiple profiles
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for HDR10+ (Diab)
    • Pixel 4/XL: Added support for modem diagnostics

Website
    Install from browser (recommended)
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    hi there, it seems that on any google camera past 8.2.204 (at least in terms of APKs i can find, 8.2.400 was the next version i tried), trying to take a night sight picture will crash the camera app.

would you be able to look into this to see if it's an issue with the rom? thanks!

furthermore, is there any way to auto allow Google Photos to modify images/files without asking? it's been given the storage permissions, however any time i delete or edit a photo in any way, a pop up shows up "Allow Photos to [do x] to this photo?"
    The issue with GCam Night Sight has been fixed for the next ROM version. It was caused by the latest GCam update (8.2.400) making assumptions about the ROM build that only hold true on stock.

In the meantime, downgrade GCam to 8.2.300 or older if you want Night Sight to work now.
    Sorry, I don't want to come across as forceful, but when will the July patch be out for this rom?
    "Updates#

When is the next update?#

ProtonAOSP is a free and open-source project, and anyone can use it for free. We are not obligated to release updates whenever you want them, and you are not entitled to them. Be patient; updates will be released when they are ready.

ASKING FOR ETAS​

Repeatedly asking for updates (“ETAs”) through the use of euphemisms in the community, such as “Is there an update coming soon?” will not be tolerated."

Please respect the Developer.
    Just wondering if there's any chance of having the "increase touch sensitivity for when using a screen protector" implemented into when you do a new build?

Have a new screen protector and am getting occasional non detected touches when I 100% definitely did make good contact.

@kdrag0n
    That feature has been added for the next version.
    Is the mod also giving Pixel 5 camera HDR+ with bracketing feature

From Google AI blog, that's a feature exclusive for Pixel 4a 5g and Pixel 5 (in all camera modes), while Pixel 4a and Pixel 4 have it only in Night mode.
    I believe so. It's in the advanced settings on as default.

Screenshot_20210708-070044_Camera.jpg
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.0 is now available with support for the Pixel 4a 5G, eSIM, enhanced carrier features, some Pixel-exclusive features, and many more changes.

Changes:
    • Updated to December feature drop and security patch
    • Added exclusive wallpapers created by Infinitum
    • Fixed lingering location and microphone indicators
    • Fixed some apps detecting root
    • Fixed blurry/low-resolution screenshots in recents overview
    • Tapping privacy indicators will now show active apps
    • Added permission usage dashboard in Settings
    • Tweaked memory management to hold more apps in the background
    • Fixed unexpected disconnects from weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (stock bug)
    • Streamlined Settings search hierarchy
    • Reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance
    • Added a variety of Google Material and iOS accent colors
    • Fixed briefly visible lock screen after fingerprint unlock in most cases
    • Added support for microG UnifiedNlp location provider (as system app)
    • Added support for call recording (consult local laws before using)
    • Added SSH client and server with hardened config
    • Added volume panel expansion (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overlapping type clock on ambient display (BootleggersROM)
    • Added button to clear battery stats in Settings (AOSiP)
    • Added command-line tools for developers (some from LineageOS)
    • Fixed all known Active Edge bugs (Pixel 2)
    • Improved Active Edge integration (Pixel 2)
    • Added Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, and screen attention (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added 5G adaptive connectivity (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for sub-6 5G networks (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for all carrier features supported by stock (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full eSIM support (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for AptX Bluetooth audio codec (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added stock offline charging animation and percentage (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Protected Confirmation (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Google Camera on non-gapps build (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter at the cost of Deep Press (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Merged latest December 14 carrier fixes (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for Pixel 4a 5G

Download

A new ROM with the January security update and SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box will be released within a few days. The SafetyNet failures are caused by new updates released by Google yesterday. My new Universal SafetyNet Fix Magisk module solves the problem for now: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install from browser
    Download

Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, Screen Attention, and several other Pixel-exclusive features (not all) will be added in the next version with the December security patch.