• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ROM ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

williejack619

Feb 18, 2017
How would you update the protonOS with a locked bootloader?
if your bootloader is lock you wont be able to install this rom...... period the bootloader has to be unlocked. did you pay for your phone full price if not your stuck with a locked bootloader my friend. phone has to be paid off and than you would have to call your phone carrier to unlock the phone

williejack619

Feb 18, 2017
I'm having a similar issue. I've followed that guide to a"T" and it still won't boot after I push the magisk patched boot.img.

I was on 11.5.2 and updated to 11.6. I installed the proton kernel just fine. I go to push the patched boot.img and half the time ADB says that It's waiting for a device. I restart the bootloader from the up/down menu and it recognizes it and pushes the patched boot.img. It says "boot.img missing cmdline or OS version" but still says "OK" at the end.

Phone reboots, and it either gets stuck on the "Google" logo and after a while I get this thin, horizontal band of garbled static across my screen or it gets stuck at the boot animation. I've let it sit for 10 minutes like that and that's as far is it goes. I've reinstalled the 11.6 update several times, I've installed it after wiping too. No changes. I've used 3 different cables and 2 different usb ports.

It boots just fine with 11.6 and proton kernel without root just fine, but getting root isn't working. The last update I had some trouble getting it to boot with the magisk patch but I've been at this for hours now and it's making me feel incompetent. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated!
you need to install the dboimg for this version i remember having the same problem but when i flash the dbo.img it booted up the commend is fastboot flash dbo dbo.img

Jul 25, 2019
Google Pixel 5
Anyone else having issues with Google sign in when it comes to giving 3rd party access to Google drive? It just get a long loading screen and I am trying to see if it's ROM related?
Screenshot_20211013-010122_Google_Play_services.png

Qheb

Jul 25, 2016
Thanks for your answers @creezalird & @mindyabiznis . But since I didn't take the time to install MagiskHide on my device, I couldn't try your solutions.

It turns out my Pixel 5 with ProtonAOSP 11.6.0 and ProtonKernel 2.1 finally fully passed the SafetyNet test by itself a few days ago... without changing anything. The same way it stopped passing it two months before.
I must say I don't really understand what happened, but I can now use Google Pay with ProtonAOSP & ProtonKernel, and without MagiskHide.

So, @DaddySanic , yes I had the same issue as you, and it fixed by itself... I hope it does the same for you.

Last edited:

Pixel86

Aug 6, 2021
Thanks for your answers @creezalird & @mindyabiznis . But since I didn't take the time to install MagiskHide on my device, I couldn't try your solutions.

It turns out my Pixel 5 with ProtonAOSP 11.6.0 and ProtonKernel 2.1 finally fully passed the SafetyNet test by itself a few days ago... without changing anything. The same way it stopped passing it two months before.
I must say I don't really understand what happened, but I can now use Google Pay with ProtonAOSP & ProtonKernel, and without MagiskHide.

So, @DaddySanic , yes I had the same issue as you, and it fixed by itself... I hope it does the same for you.
Just for clarity. You flashed ProtonAOSP and ProtonKernel without Magisk, relocked the bootloader, and SafetyNet passes?
I had tried this about two months ago and it did not work. I may try again this weekend.

jamesuhl

Nov 18, 2013
Please forgive me for arriving late to the party, and for my confusion caused by my tardiness.
  1. Not being fond of Android 12's aesthetics, I'm planning to manually install ProtonAOSP 11.6.0 gapps (b/c I don't see a method to "Web Install" a legacy ROM). When reading this thread's original post, it says the Proton Kernel is recommended. However, reading the ProtonAOSP website's "First steps" after installation, it says "Once you have ProtonAOSP installed, you don’t need to do anything else. The OS works entirely by itself. Enjoy!" Which one is true for 11.6.0?

2. I don't plan to root, but I am very much out of practice with loading ROMs (and Kernels). I can definitely follow these instructions for ROM installation. But... I checked all 6 pages of the Pixel 5 "Guides" forum, and didn't find a detailed guide for installing a Kernel. A link to a "Guide For Newbs" will get me on the right path as none of my searches are working out.

ViperPyro

Feb 9, 2010
Please forgive me for arriving late to the party, and for my confusion caused by my tardiness.
  1. Not being fond of Android 12's aesthetics, I'm planning to manually install ProtonAOSP 11.6.0 gapps (b/c I don't see a method to "Web Install" a legacy ROM). When reading this thread's original post, it says the Proton Kernel is recommended. However, reading the ProtonAOSP website's "First steps" after installation, it says "Once you have ProtonAOSP installed, you don’t need to do anything else. The OS works entirely by itself. Enjoy!" Which one is true for 11.6.0?

2. I don't plan to root, but I am very much out of practice with loading ROMs (and Kernels). I can definitely follow these instructions for ROM installation. But... I checked all 6 pages of the Pixel 5 "Guides" forum, and didn't find a detailed guide for installing a Kernel. A link to a "Guide For Newbs" will get me on the right path as none of my searches are working out.

kdrag0n has maintained that ProtonAOSP is fine on its own, but ProtonKernel will accent/optimize it. Optional addition.

I am a fan of Homeboy76's detailed guide for all things rooting/flashing.

It does not directly cover kernels, but the instructions in kdrag0n's ProtonKernel thread make it quite straightforward. After installing ProtonAOSP and booting once, reboot bootloader --:
Boot the image with "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" to flash it

lancebuks

Mar 29, 2012
Yokosuka
  1. I don't plan to root, but I am very much out of practice with loading ROMs (and Kernels). I can definitely follow these instructions for ROM installation. But... I checked all 6 pages of the Pixel 5 "Guides" forum, and didn't find a detailed guide for installing a Kernel. A link to a "Guide For Newbs" will get me on the right path as none of my searches are working out.
I too have the ROM and Kernel installed without root and i'm having no issues
The instructions for installing the kernel are on the github page
https://github.com/kdrag0n/proton_kernel_redbull/releases
Download the kernel, boot your phone into fastboot mode and run the following command
fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-v2.1.img

Pixel86

Aug 6, 2021

jamesuhl

Nov 18, 2013
kdrag0n has maintained that ProtonAOSP is fine on its own, but ProtonKernel will accent/optimize it. Optional addition.

I am a fan of Homeboy76's detailed guide for all things rooting/flashing.

It does not directly cover kernels, but the instructions in kdrag0n's ProtonKernel thread make it quite straightforward. After installing ProtonAOSP and booting once, reboot bootloader --:
Boot the image with "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" to flash it

@ViperPyro & @lancebuks, thank you both for your effort to help this newb (me). I realize now that I should have been more clear when I requested a guide for newbs. :) I didn't understand what "Boot the image with "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" to flash it" means, because I was ignorant of what "Boot... with "fastboot boot" meant or how to achieve that. I continued researching and learned the above assumes the user already knows how those terms apply to the SDK tools, and that it also assumes the user is familiar with using those tools on their devices. From that, I was able to assemble the following, but it has steps missing. For example, the following also assumes bootloader is already unlocked, which in some cases it might not be.

1. Download Proton Kernel to your PC, saving it in the extracted SDK platform-tools folder.
2. Put your phone into bootloader mode by restarting it and holding the volume down button until you see a red warning sign or green Android robot.
3. Once your device is in bootloader mode, plug it into the computer or device you’re installing from.
4. On your computer, open the “Command Prompt” app from the Start menu.
5. Navigate to the extracted SDK platform-tools folder in the “Command Prompt” app by typing cd (with the space at the end) and dragging the folder into Command Prompt. Press enter.
6. Now type fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-v2.0.img (use the name of the Kernel here, you can just drag it into the “Command Prompt” app) and press enter. This will install the Proton Kernel.

Those are the installation details I can recall. I installed the Kernel and verified it was successfully installed. However, I don't recall precisely what actions I took beyond what I wrote above.

ViperPyro

Feb 9, 2010
@ViperPyro & @lancebuks, thank you both for your effort to help this newb (me). I realize now that I should have been more clear when I requested a guide for newbs. :) I didn't understand what "Boot the image with "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" to flash it" means, because I was ignorant of what "Boot... with "fastboot boot" meant or how to achieve that. I continued researching and learned the above assumes the user already knows how those terms apply to the SDK tools, and that it also assumes the user is familiar with using those tools on their devices. From that, I was able to assemble the following, but it has steps missing. For example, the following also assumes bootloader is already unlocked, which in some cases it might not be.

1. Download Proton Kernel to your PC, saving it in the extracted SDK platform-tools folder.
2. Put your phone into bootloader mode by restarting it and holding the volume down button until you see a red warning sign or green Android robot.
3. Once your device is in bootloader mode, plug it into the computer or device you’re installing from.
4. On your computer, open the “Command Prompt” app from the Start menu.
5. Navigate to the extracted SDK platform-tools folder in the “Command Prompt” app by typing cd (with the space at the end) and dragging the folder into Command Prompt. Press enter.
6. Now type fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-v2.0.img (use the name of the Kernel here, you can just drag it into the “Command Prompt” app) and press enter. This will install the Proton Kernel.

Those are the installation details I can recall. I installed the Kernel and verified it was successfully installed. However, I don't recall precisely what actions I took beyond what I wrote above.
Yes, that is correct. Many ways to do it, but that would work. Homeboy76's guide I linked has fairly step by step actions for most of this (unlocking bootloader, for instance).
Glad you figured it out! Hopefully kdrag0n has another Kernel update coming based on full Android12 release :)

Reactions: jamesuhl

sic4672

Sep 26, 2009
I'm having issues with patching the boot.img using the latest Magisk canary build. Do I need to do a clean install for the patching to work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    on Android 12 (even on aosp), there is some flags that you need to disable, usually done by including the disable flags while flashing (fastboot method) or flashing separately vbmeta after sideload.
    if above was not done, if you flashed modified boot.img, it will not boot into the system.

You can get the idea what I meant by reading these posts

Thank you I finally got it up and running, Just wondering how exactly do install magisk manager to gain root?
    Magisk has two components, the core hack(s) and the app. Through the app, install "Magisk". Unless your phone is already rooted, it needs a boot.img to modify and will create a magisk_patched version. Then you boot to bootloader (hold volume down button during bootup), and use fastboot to flash the new boot image. RTFM for more instructions.
    I was having issues with the Magisk root using the same method I used on 11.x. Also had issues with the Proton Kernel. Installing either booted to the bootloader instead of booting the OS.
    Same here. Even with the latest canary build
    Same here. Even with the latest canary build
    so secure and protected that I can't use it.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.0 is now available with support for the Pixel 4a 5G, eSIM, enhanced carrier features, some Pixel-exclusive features, and many more changes.

Changes:
    • Updated to December feature drop and security patch
    • Added exclusive wallpapers created by Infinitum
    • Fixed lingering location and microphone indicators
    • Fixed some apps detecting root
    • Fixed blurry/low-resolution screenshots in recents overview
    • Tapping privacy indicators will now show active apps
    • Added permission usage dashboard in Settings
    • Tweaked memory management to hold more apps in the background
    • Fixed unexpected disconnects from weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (stock bug)
    • Streamlined Settings search hierarchy
    • Reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance
    • Added a variety of Google Material and iOS accent colors
    • Fixed briefly visible lock screen after fingerprint unlock in most cases
    • Added support for microG UnifiedNlp location provider (as system app)
    • Added support for call recording (consult local laws before using)
    • Added SSH client and server with hardened config
    • Added volume panel expansion (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overlapping type clock on ambient display (BootleggersROM)
    • Added button to clear battery stats in Settings (AOSiP)
    • Added command-line tools for developers (some from LineageOS)
    • Fixed all known Active Edge bugs (Pixel 2)
    • Improved Active Edge integration (Pixel 2)
    • Added Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, and screen attention (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added 5G adaptive connectivity (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for sub-6 5G networks (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for all carrier features supported by stock (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full eSIM support (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for AptX Bluetooth audio codec (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added stock offline charging animation and percentage (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Protected Confirmation (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Google Camera on non-gapps build (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter at the cost of Deep Press (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Merged latest December 14 carrier fixes (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for Pixel 4a 5G

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    A new ROM with the January security update and SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box will be released within a few days. The SafetyNet failures are caused by new updates released by Google yesterday. My new Universal SafetyNet Fix Magisk module solves the problem for now: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install from browser
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, Screen Attention, and several other Pixel-exclusive features (not all) will be added in the next version with the December security patch.