ROM ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ OFFICIAL ❯ ProtonAOSP 11

Search This thread

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Nice work on the rom. I was able to get it up and running on MacOS without any issues. Although seems to be security concerns for using it as daily driver.. according to GrapheneOS lead keeping bootloader unlocked is highly unsecure as it opens up attack vector:

Locking the bootloader is important as it enables full verified boot. It also prevents using fastboot to flash, format or erase partitions. Verified boot will detect modifications to any of the OS partitions (vbmeta, boot/dtbo, product, system, vendor) and it will prevent reading any modified / corrupted data. If changes are detected, error correction data is used to attempt to obtain the original data at which point it's verified again which makes verified boot robust to non-malicious corruption.

In the bootloader interface, set it to locked:

fastboot flashing lock
The command needs to be confirmed on the device since it needs to perform a factory reset.

Unlocking the bootloader again will perform a factory reset.

BTW have you thought about joining GrapheneOS as Pixel 5 maintainer? You'd be a great addition to team and project is lacking Pixel 5 dev.

Cheers
That's true, but I am not personally concerned about malicious images being flashed . As a developer, I will frequently flash unbootable and can't justify the risk of losing data.

It's possible that my ROM will support verified boot in the future so you will have the option to lock the bootloader, but I wouldn't count on that happening in the near future since my ROM is in its early days and the underlying infrastructure is immature; AVB support will require managing signing keys securely between the different machines I build ROMs on.

As much as I want to get involved, I don't have the time for it and my own ProtonAOSP project is what I'm most satisfied with using as a daily driver on my own device. GrapheneOS is great from a security and hardening perspective, but its performance and UI are lacking due to being nearly uncustomized AOSP with performance. I understand that some people will prioritize security, but personally, I don't want to make that trade-off.

I didn't see any posts covering this, but does this work for the japanese variant? I upgraded from 2xl (mine was really broken somehow) and am loving this new device and don't want to risk breaking it if the Japanese variant isn't supported/tested
It should work as long as the bootloader is unlockable. The only low-level variants are the Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 4a 5g UW (Verizon), and Pixel 5; other hardware variations should not matter at the software level.
Is there a native call recording function? one that records the other side as well, not just your side.
If not, do you plan to add it in or would rather not bother because of country laws?
I still don't have my device yet so I can't install it yet to find out myself.
Thanks.
Call recording is not a feature I'm personally interested in, and as a small project with no other core team members at the moment, I don't have time to add every feature people want while keeping the same level of quality across the board. It's also illegal to record calls without mutual consent in my location, so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

mousse04

Feb 17, 2010
Grenoble
Hi @OP,
I will ask a stupid question but how can you build a better battery saving ROM than the tons of google devs? No offense here, I'm just here to understand :)

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Hi @OP,
I will ask a stupid question but how can you build a better battery saving ROM than the tons of google devs? No offense here, I'm just here to understand :)
A lot of the battery drain on stock comes from how bloated it is from my experience — minimal in comparison to most other OEMs, but there is still bloat. AOSP does not have said bloat, and I've avoided adding too much Google bloat to help with battery life.

Jackie Coyote

Nov 19, 2020
Do you think it's possible to run this kernel on the stock factory image? Would I also have to flash the roms DTBO image?

veedubrocks

Dec 23, 2011
Hello. Anyone knows why it failed at this spot? Thanks

Checking product... KAY [ 0.069s ]

ending 'boot_a' (98304 KB)...

OKAY [ 3.270s]

writing 'boot_a'... OKAY [ 1.960s]

sending sparse 'system_a' 1/4 (262140 KB)...
OKAY [ 9.078s]

writing 'system_a' 1/4...
FAILED (remote: Partition should be flashed in fastbootd)
finished. total time: 14.739s

Press any key to exit...

Sorry couldn't attach pic

Last edited:

TikiThePug

Feb 10, 2013
OnePlus 8T
Hello. Anyone knows why it failed at this spot? Thanks

Checking product... KAY [ 0.069s ]

ending 'boot_a' (98304 KB)...

OKAY [ 3.270s]

writing 'boot_a'... OKAY [ 1.960s]

sending sparse 'system_a' 1/4 (262140 KB)...
OKAY [ 9.078s]

writing 'system_a' 1/4...
FAILED (remote: Partition should be flashed in fastbootd)
finished. total time: 14.739s

Press any key to exit...

Sorry couldn't attach pic
Sounds like your phone did not reboot into fastbootd when it got to this stage. Does it keep happening?

Mar 29, 2015
Phoenix
Hey y'all, I've been trying to install this ROM but no matter what I do I can't get it to install correctly. I navigate to where I have the flash-all.bat saved and I run that using ./flash-all.bat in powershell and it gives me this output...

HTML:
PS C:\platform-tools\proton-aosp_redfin_11.2.0-gapps\redfin-rd1a.201105.003.c1> .\flash-all.bat
target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
sending 'bootloader' (8890 KB)...
OKAY [  0.325s]
writing 'bootloader'...
(bootloader) Flashing Pack version r3-0.3-6776358
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 0
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 1
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 2
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 4
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 5
(bootloader) Flashing partition xbl_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition xbl_config_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition aop_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition tz_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition hyp_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition abl_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition keymaster_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition devcfg_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition qupfw_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition uefisecapp_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition featenabler_a
(bootloader) Flashing partition logfs
OKAY [  0.876s]
finished. total time: 1.202s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.051s]
finished. total time: 0.051s
sending 'radio' (134660 KB)...
OKAY [  3.316s]
writing 'radio'...
(bootloader) Flashing Pack version SSD:g7250-00016-200911-B-6826885
(bootloader) Flashing partition modem_a
OKAY [  2.792s]
finished. total time: 6.109s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.050s]
finished. total time: 0.051s
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.img'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'vendor.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: r3-0.3-6776358
Baseband Version.....: g7250-00016-200911-B-6826885
Serial Number........: 09281FDD40054G
--------------------------------------------
checking product...
OKAY [  0.070s]
sending 'boot' (98304 KB)...
OKAY [  2.450s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)
finished. total time: 2.828s
Press any key to exit...

I originally tried on a rooted version of the November update, then I tried installing from a stock November update, then a stock October update, eventually gave up and install and rooted October's update. I'm now trying again and having no luck. Whenever I search the error 'FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)' everyone just says "Make sure your adb and fastboot is up to date" but it IS up to date, I downloaded a fresh copy of the tools straight from google the night I tried. I have the latest adb and fastboot, I have the latest and correct USB drivers. Gonna go try on my roommate's PC but if that doesn't work I really have no clue what to do. Initially when I tried to install this I semi-bricked my device for a few hours and had to make an XDA post about it. I'd really like to try this custom ROM, if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

veedubrocks

Dec 23, 2011
What version of platform tools you're using. That was my issue at the start. Lastest version is like 30.x.x. something like that. Just a suggestion. Good luck

hanni2301

Nov 4, 2014
Is there any dark dark mode? I'm looking for black (0/0/0) and not the grayish colour like in the settings.

Hellshell

May 6, 2014
ProtonAOSP • Pixel 5
Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal custom Android 11 ROM focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Screenshots
Screenshots for v11.2.0
If you don't like Imgur, you can also find the screenshots on the public Telegram channel (no login needed).

Features

Downloads
Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Builds with and without gapps included are provided for convenience.

Make sure you download a ROM ZIP, not source code! Source code cannot be flashed.

Installation
This ROM is currently distributed as factory images similar to stock due to the lack of TWRP. Flash it as you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

Known issues
  • Wi-Fi calling doesn't work on some carriers (most notably Verizon)
  • Now Playing, Live Captions, and screen attention are missing

Join the Telegram group for support and extras
Donate to support development

Kernel source code

Brother I'm so confused do I have to flash the GAPPS as well? I know some roms have gapps already.

sic4672

Sep 26, 2009
Two versions. One already has gapps. The other doesn't

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ProtonAOSP
    Android 11 ROM​

ProtonAOSP is a minimal Android fork (custom ROM) focused on UI/UX and performance, with a touch of privacy.

Usage with my Proton Kernel is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The ROM will still work with other kernels, but you will not get the benefits of Proton Kernel.

Screenshots
    Screenshots of the latest version

Installation
    This ROM is currently distributed as factory images, similar to stock. Flash it the same way you would flash stock factory images. Don't forget to wipe all data using "fastboot -w" before booting the ROM.

Firmware is included, so there is no specific requirement for which version of the stock ROM you are coming from.

You can also use the quick & easy web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser and completes in as little as 4 minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection. Consider using the web installer instead of installing manually.

More detailed installation instructions and guides

Features
    List of current features, with accompanying screenshots and explanations

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs for all versions

Builds with and without minimal Google services (gapps) included are provided for convenience.

Using the quick and easy web installer is recommended unless you have a specific reason to download and install the ROM manually.

Support
    If you have questions or concerns, please read the Frequently Asked Questions before asking. It saves time for everyone involved, especially you, and allows us to provide higher-quality answers for all users.

Website with comprehensive documentation
    Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Please consider donating to support development if you found this helpful: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Kernel source code
    ROM source code
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.0 is now available with support for the Pixel 4a 5G, eSIM, enhanced carrier features, some Pixel-exclusive features, and many more changes.

Changes:
    • Updated to December feature drop and security patch
    • Added exclusive wallpapers created by Infinitum
    • Fixed lingering location and microphone indicators
    • Fixed some apps detecting root
    • Fixed blurry/low-resolution screenshots in recents overview
    • Tapping privacy indicators will now show active apps
    • Added permission usage dashboard in Settings
    • Tweaked memory management to hold more apps in the background
    • Fixed unexpected disconnects from weak 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (stock bug)
    • Streamlined Settings search hierarchy
    • Reduced overnight battery drain caused by idle maintenance
    • Added a variety of Google Material and iOS accent colors
    • Fixed briefly visible lock screen after fingerprint unlock in most cases
    • Added support for microG UnifiedNlp location provider (as system app)
    • Added support for call recording (consult local laws before using)
    • Added SSH client and server with hardened config
    • Added volume panel expansion (LineageOS)
    • Fixed overlapping type clock on ambient display (BootleggersROM)
    • Added button to clear battery stats in Settings (AOSiP)
    • Added command-line tools for developers (some from LineageOS)
    • Fixed all known Active Edge bugs (Pixel 2)
    • Improved Active Edge integration (Pixel 2)
    • Added Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, and screen attention (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added 5G adaptive connectivity (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for sub-6 5G networks (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full support for all carrier features supported by stock (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added full eSIM support (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for AptX Bluetooth audio codec (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added stock offline charging animation and percentage (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Protected Confirmation (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Fixed Google Camera on non-gapps build (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter at the cost of Deep Press (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Merged latest December 14 carrier fixes (Pixel 5, 4a 5G)
    • Added support for Pixel 4a 5G

Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    A new ROM with the January security update and SafetyNet passing out-of-the-box will be released within a few days. The SafetyNet failures are caused by new updates released by Google yesterday. My new Universal SafetyNet Fix Magisk module solves the problem for now: https://xdaforums.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/
    ProtonAOSP 11.3.2 is now available with security updates and an easy-to-use web installer.

Changes:
    • Updated to February security patch
    • Added new space wallpapers by Infinitum
    • Updated visual voicemail configs
    • Pixel 5: Added support for standalone 5G on T-Mobile
    New easy-to-use web installer

This version introduces a new easy-to-use web installer, which allows you to install and update the ROM from any computer or phone without using the command line. The installer works entirely within your web browser using WebUSB, which is supported by Google Chrome, as well as other browsers based on Chromium such as Brave and Microsoft Edge. Consider installing with the web installer instead of doing it manually.

Install from browser
    Download

As the ProtonAOSP project expands to support more devices, bandwidth and maintenance costs are increasing. You can help support the project and keep it alive with a recurring donation, or alternatively buy me a coffee. Everything helps, but a recurring donation is the best way to keep the project alive in the long term.
    Live Captions, Now Playing, Adaptive Sound, Screen Attention, and several other Pixel-exclusive features (not all) will be added in the next version with the December security patch.