• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[ROM][Pixel-XL][10.0.0_r41] PixelDust Android 10 for marlin [5 August 2020]

_P__

May 3, 2012
NJ
i was on the rom one day may or april version and one day i booted into recovery and wiped dalvik cache in twrp... a few days later maybe a wk or a lil more and my phone froze as i was checking a youtube notifcation ... phone frozed shutdown and tried to reboot... im in a continous bootloop... i even went as far as flashing the factory image and losing all my data and its still in a boot loop... any ideas... i bought another pixel... a 2 xl but i think i bought a verizon variant and i thought it was googled...

PunkPunk85

Oct 16, 2019
So I've used this rom for a year or so with tmobile service, but just recently switched to Sprint and Im not having any success with mobile data. Any one had issues as well or perhaps have any suggestion?

drmalenko

Jun 8, 2011
Been using this for quite a while (at least since my first Pixel Xl, 18 months?) I love it. Thank you so much for all the time you have put into this.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

My keyboard wont swipe, any suggestions? I have toggled the "gestures" on and off, but Im stuck on pressing every key... any insight?

Reactions: spezi77

spezi77

Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jan 27, 2013
/home/less
Been using this for quite a while (at least since my first Pixel Xl, 18 months?) I love it. Thank you so much for all the time you have put into this.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

My keyboard wont swipe, any suggestions? I have toggled the "gestures" on and off, but Im stuck on pressing every key... any insight?
Thanks for your feedback. Highly appreciated :good:

I'm using GBoard in which swipe gestures work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

Reactions: drmalenko

drmalenko

Jun 8, 2011
Thanks for your feedback. Highly appreciated :good:

I'm using GBoard in which swipe gestures work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs
Thanks, got it installed and I am up and swiping again...

On a side note... I found a NIB Pixel XL and it came with Android 8 on it...
1) I flashed Android 10
2) I realized that TWRP wont permanently install on Android 10
3) I read that TWRP will install on previous Android versions that were updated to Android 10
4) I flashed Android 9
5) I flashed TWRP
6) I managed to bootloop several times, finally got it back to booting
7) TWRP would not permanently install even on Android 9
8) I reflashed Android 10 and moved on with life

What did I do wrong?

How do we take the updates for PixelDust in the future (since we don't have TWRP permanently installed)?

Again, I love this ROM, and I stayed with the Pixel XL just for it, I hope that the Pixel 5/4a will bring back the fingerprint scanner and maybe you will support it =-) Thank you again!!!

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Thanks, got it installed and I am up and swiping again...

On a side note... I found a NIB Pixel XL and it came with Android 8 on it...
1) I flashed Android 10
2) I realized that TWRP wont permanently install on Android 10
3) I read that TWRP will install on previous Android versions that were updated to Android 10
4) I flashed Android 9
5) I flashed TWRP
6) I managed to bootloop several times, finally got it back to booting
7) TWRP would not permanently install even on Android 9
8) I reflashed Android 10 and moved on with life

What did I do wrong?

How do we take the updates for PixelDust in the future (since we don't have TWRP permanently installed)?

Again, I love this ROM, and I stayed with the Pixel XL just for it, I hope that the Pixel 5/4a will bring back the fingerprint scanner and maybe you will support it =-) Thank you again!!!
(1) Which version of TWRP are you flashing?
(1) What method are you utilizing to permanently install TWRP [be explicit]?

drmalenko

Jun 8, 2011
(1) Which version of TWRP are you flashing?
(1) What method are you utilizing to permanently install TWRP [be explicit]?
TWRP-installer-3.4.0-0-marlin.img and TWRP-installer-3.4.0-0-marlin.zip

I copied the zip to the phone, then used fastboot to boot TWRP-installer-3.4.0-0-marlin.img, "install", selected the TWRP-installer-3.4.0-0-marlin.zip, then slide to flash.

It did give errors once or twice, but the last few times it showed completed with no errors, I then chose reboot>system, and then the bootloops would start, so then I would go back to fastboot>flash-all>flash marlin-qp1a.191005.007.a3-factory-bef66533 (the OEM image), then try again with TWRP, I finally gave up as TWRP would never persist.

I did also try TWRP 3.3.1-3-marlin, but of course it didn't work either.

I also tried this after flashing back to Andoid 9, neither version of TWRP would persist, only give bootloops...

Last edited:

drmalenko

Jun 8, 2011
Anyone else have a problem trying to send pictures in text msgs? Mine just closes right after you select a picture

Using latest version of Google Messages...

Tried to send my first pic (since flashing the latest ROM) about 2 hours ago, when I select a pic from the gallery I get a toast that says something along the lines of "cannot load picture"... But if I take a picture from within the app, it appears to send as normal ( I havent called the person to verify that the picture was actually received)...

I have not checked permissions yet, that is first on the list...

rodken

Jan 11, 2010

I copied the zip to the phone, then used fastboot to boot TWRP-installer-3.4.0-0-marlin.img, "install", selected the TWRP-installer-3.4.0-0-marlin.zip, then slide to flash.

It did give errors once or twice, but the last few times it showed completed with no errors, I then chose reboot>system, and then the bootloops would start, so then I would go back to fastboot>flash-all>flash marlin-qp1a.191005.007.a3-factory-bef66533 (the OEM image), then try again with TWRP, I finally gave up as TWRP would never persist.

I also tried this after flashing back to Andoid 9, neither version of TWRP would persist, only give bootloops...
[ADB] Method 1:

Copy TWRP zip and Magisk Manager apk file into phone’s internal storage.

Reboot your device into bootloader by typing the command in CMD:

adb reboot bootloader

Check the slot which is active by typing the command below:

fastboot getvar current-slot

Select the non-active slot and change slot-name with actual slot name (delete inverted commas also).

fastboot --set-active="slot name"

Now flash the TWRP on your device by replacing the recovery-name.

fastboot flash recovery recovery-name.img

Now reboot the device from TWRP Recovery, and select the previously active slot by:

fastboot --set-active="slot name"

Now Go back and Install the TWRP Installer.

Once done, then reboot.

[ADB] Method 2:

Temporarily Boot into TWRP
Now, you need to take the TWRP image file (twrp.img) you downloaded earlier and transfer it to the platform-tools folder on your computer. You also need to copy that same image file to the "Download" folder on your phone's internal storage. Once those are transferred to the correct locations, you then get to run a code that will temporarily boot you into TWRP.

With a command window opened up within the platform-tools folder, type the following command, then press enter.

fastboot boot twrp.img

Once you enter the command, your phone should immediately respond and begin temporarily booting into TWRP for the first time. Pixels use the more current A/B system partition format, which is why you have to temporarily boot into TWRP the first time to install the permanent version from there.

Permanently Flash TWRP:
Head back over to the TWRP screen on your phone and swipe the slider that says "Swipe to Allow Modifications" if needed. Now you should be sitting on the TWRP main menu where you can then go into the "Advanced" section. From there, tap the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" option, and finally, navigate to the "Download" folder where you copied the TWRP image file.

Tap the image file once to bring up the "Install Recovery" main screen and check the "Back up existing image first" option to backup your current recovery for safekeeping. Now slide the "Swipe to Install" button at the bottom to begin installing the permanent version of TWRP onto your system partition. After it finishes installing, press the home button, go to "Reboot," then "Recovery".

Your phone will now reboot into TWRP once again; however, you'll now be in the permanent version rather than the temporary one. At this point, you can disconnect your phone from the computer and go on your way doing whatever you wish in recovery mode.

hairycheez

Aug 2, 2011

At least for sailfish, TWRP is too large to install on recovery ramdisk for Android 10 roms. Was able to install it after flashing king kernel first then in TWRP install recovery ramdisk and use the .IMG file.

Shouldn't use "fastboot install boot .IMG" cause the TWRP boot image is built using Android Pie sources. So if you want it installed the only way I know is to temporarily boot TWRP. Flash king kernel. Then use TWRPs ramdisk recovery installer and select the TWRP IMG file

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
At least for sailfish, TWRP is too large to install on recovery ramdisk for Android 10 roms. Was able to install it after flashing king kernel first then in TWRP install recovery ramdisk and use the .IMG file.

Shouldn't use "fastboot install boot .IMG" cause the TWRP boot image is built using Android Pie sources. So if you want it installed the only way I know is to temporarily boot TWRP. Flash king kernel. Then use TWRPs ramdisk recovery installer and select the TWRP IMG file
Were you able to get TWRP to install permanently utilizing your method?