HuntsVegas!!!
KitKat 4.4.2
:cowboy:Port from Sprint's Build VPUDND8
:cowboy:

:victory:FINAL RELEASE!!!:victory:
:cowboy::cool::cowboy:

attachment.php

:cyclops:
Remember! You flash anything and everything at your own risk! Neither I nor anyone else here at XDA or anywhere else can be held responsible for anything that goes wrong!

I am very pleased to present to you the first Touchwiz KitKat rom for the T999 and variants!!! :victory:

WiFi and screen rotation are now fully functional! HUGE Thanks to @ktoonsez for his kt747 kernel which solved these two very annoying issues!!! If you have not already, make sure you visit one of his threads and thank him for his outstanding work! (We don't even have the kernel source for the T999 and I747 and he still managed to build a fantastic kernel for us to use!) (It is included with the rom, no need to flash separately.
Visit his Kernel Thread to learn more about this kernel!

Currently, there are very few bugs and I feel this rom is perfectly capable to be a DD. See below for a list of bugs and temporary solutions so you can fix them until the next update.

Anyone is more than welcome to use this Rom in anyway they choose without asking permission first! Just please don't forget your credits, and make sure you include ktoonsez, CNexus, JustArchi and the Sprint folks without whom this Rom would not be possible!

This is quite capable to be a base for devs to create or update their current roms with. If nothing else, it would be a great way to get started by using it to test and debug your mods in preparation for the official release which isn't too far off now! (I am told, by someone who I believe to be a reliable source, that KK for the T999 and T999L should be released between 5/28 and 6/5! Possibly sooner if testing goes well!) (I have also heard that more and more test builds are being produced, indicating that they are getting close!)

Please keep an eye on the following few posts for more information about KitKat, and what to expect when our update is finally released. I have learned some interesting things working with this and the guys in the Sprint forums so I hope to relay all of that to the rest of you here.

Prerequisites
You must be running the FULL 4.3 bootloader and firmware! It has been reported to not boot when using the 4.1.2 or earlier firmware. This rom has been confirmed to work with the T999 (NC2 and MJC) and both the T999L and T999N (NC1).

Downloads

T999_Sprint_ND8_Port_2.1
SourceForge Mirror

T999_Sprint_ND8_Port_2.0
SourceForge Mirror

ND8_PORT_STOCK_DEODEXED_ROOTED.zip

Sprint_ND8_Insecure_Kernel

Sprint_ND8_Stock_Kernel

NOTE: I am leaving the above Sprint kernels in case any devs want them for any reason. These are NOT intended for normal use with this rom. They will break wifi and screen rotation is upside down. Also with the secure kernel you would have issues writing to your sd card.

Instructions

BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!
Flash rom via latest version of the custom recovery of your choice
Factory Reset recommended
First boot WILL take a while! Several minutes at least.
During setup, after choosing your language, you will see a screen with "Wait a sec..." at the top.
DO NOT, let the screen time out and turn off!!! (You will have to start over!)
After this, proceed with setup normally and reboot when done.

To fix the WiFi icon in statusbar
Open the Google Play Store and wait for it to load its home screen. Close the store.
Using a root file browser, go to /system and edit the build.prop as follows:
Change ro.product.name= "d2tmo" to "d2spr". Save and reboot.
(Note: by making this change, you will fix the WiFi icon, but will lose the T-Mobile 4G data icon. It will show 3G, H+ instead.)
(IMPORTANT: If you do not open the Play Store app BEFORE making this change, the Store will NOT work!)

Pests (Known Bugs)

MMS will not send with WiFi on - It seems this is how all Sprint builds are made. Not actually a bug, but I am told there is a Wanam Xposed module that can make this work. If WiFi is on, you can send and receive SMS, but cannot send MMS and will just get a notification if one is received.

You can only have one of the following two: Either the nice looking WiFi statusbar icon, or the T-Mobile 4G icon. Fixing one reverts the other.

Pesticide (Temporary fixes for bugs)

WiFi Icon fix
In build.prop, change d2tmo to d2spr. Reboot. -Thanks to @serio22 for figuring this odd one out! :highfive:
See instructions above. This will break the Play Store unless you first open the app and let it load.

I want to extend my gratitude and a huge thanks to all the folks in the Sprint forums for making this port possible! If I forget anyone please let me know! If you see these guys be sure to hit their "Thanks" button!

Original Sprint Rom Thread
CNexus' [STOCK ROM][4.4] ND8 Kitkat ROM

:cool:Thanks and Credits:highfive:
@CNexus - For all of his hard work on Sprints official release, his dedication and for being such a cool Kat to work with! @ktoonsez - For his outstanding kernel and help!
@JustArchi - For his new ArchiKitchen that allowed them to get out a fully functional ROM!
@bilgerryan - For his helpful posts and info!
@DR_CDMA - For releasing the ND8 firmware so quickly!
@serio22 for the WiFi icon placement fix.
@rompnit, @freeza, @sleshepic, @tdunham, @jdsingle76 - For helping CNexus and other posts and contributions!
@srnoth - For being who I believe to be the first to get Sprints release running on a different device (in a bit of a roundabout way!)
@Perseus71, @TheLastSidekick, @Aerowinder, @Woody, @saranhai, @enewman17, @mrRobinson - For always being so cool and helpful! I've learned a lot from them all whether they realize it or not!​

Attachments

• KitKatAndroid.png
    KitKatAndroid.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 18,590
Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Well, now that I have finished up on the Rom (for now!), I am going to try to let you guys know what all I have learned about Touchwiz KitKat in the process. I hope to make things easier for everyone when our official release finally makes it out.

Some of the main hurdles included getting WiFi and Mobile Data to work correctly, and writing to both internal and external storage. I will add more information as I think of it.

If I recall correctly, once they got their rom flashing over in the Sprint forums, it was quickly discovered that their mobile data would not work. It turns out it was a permissions issue and by using the new ArchiKitchen by @JustArchi, it was solved. The ArchiKitchen built a new updater-script that took care of this issue. This is a new Kitchen that started out as a continuation of dsixda's original Kitchen. JustArchi has since done a complete, total rewrite from scratch making it a 100% new and original project! Please check it out and be sure to thank him for his awesome work! I have not had much chance to mess with it much myself, but it does appear that we need to become familar as it will be required if we wish to use a kitchen to build our roms. (As I understand it, CNexus had added all d2 devices to the Kitchen, so it should be ready to use!)

Shortly after getting the updater-script right, there were reports of not being able to write to both internal and external sd cards. The fix for writing to External storage is in /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

You have to edit the following:

Code:
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
        <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
</permission>

just add a group to look like this:

Code:
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
        <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
	<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

I was having the same issues with my ported rom at this point, and after much testing found that my kernel solved the issue where we could not write to the internal storage. So for some reason, selinux was preventing us from writing to it. This is why I included and recommend only using the insecure kernel with the rom. You may notice that where you usually see selinux status in About Device, nothing is there.

For those who do not know, KitKat introduced more security features, which is what causes the inability to freely write to our storage. When you install an application it should create its own folder and will then be able to write only to that one. This is to prevent other apps from having access to your full storage and data they do not need. The problem is that many apps have not been updated to make use of this. There is also the issue where if an app that has been updated is trying to use its own folder that it created in another version, such as 4.3, it can no longer use it. Titanium Backup is a good example of this. I didn't test, but I suspect that if you started completely clean, and installed TiB, it would work fine. However, many of us have an existing TiB folder and after updating to KK, it would no longer work.

Finally, one of my biggest issues with porting it (not one experienced by the Sprint guys), was my mobile data. If I shut it off and rebooted, voice calls worked just fine. But if I enabled mobile data, the connection would cut in and out over and over. It would work while connected, but it was very annoying! I will add what I did to fix this shortly.

For now, I hope this info helps everyone! I will add links to more information a bit later.

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
ChangeLog

1.0 - Initial Release

2.0 - (5.14.2014)
  • Included kt747 kernel (5-13-2014) (WiFi fixed, Screen Rotation Fixed)
  • Added APN's (Should now auto-populate regardless of your carrier. AKA, no more manual setup!)
  • Added more language options
  • Updated system apps
  • corrected build.prop values
  • Added busybox to updater-script
  • Replaced Sprint Shutdown animation with T-Mobiles (oops forgot the sounds! Still Sprint Sounds with Tmobile anim)
  • Fixed Video Playback bug (horribly choppy playback on hi-res vids)

v2.1 - Final - (5.16.2014)
  • Fixed APN issues from previous release - Thanks to @lj27416 for posting the apns-conf.xml
  • Fixed Maps force closing
  • Fixed reboot binary - Thanks to @CNexus
  • Updated system apps (including todays Google Play Store update with Paypal support)

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Tips

GPS - If your GPS is having trouble finding your correct location, download GPS Test by Chartcross from the Play Store. Run and give it a few moments to find satellites and it should narrow to within several feet of your location. Now try your apps that require your location again (maps, weather, etc)

Metro PCS - (T999N users) - You will not have mobile data after flashing this rom. You will need to manually enter your apn. This should no longer be necessary, but I will leave this information up in case it is helpful. Your correct apn is as follows:
(any line not listed should be left blank or default)

Name: MetroPCS
APN: fast.metropcs.com
MMSC: http://metropcs.mmsvno.com/mms/wapenc
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN Type: default,mms,supl

Use the S5 Launcher! - Edit your build.prop. Change all d2tmo/d2spr/d2att values to kltetmo/klteatt/kltespr/kltevzw depending on which you have of course. Hint, try each one to see which mobile data icon you like. Use kltespr if you want the fixed wifi icon though. Thanks to @allenjthomsen and @serio22 for bringing this to our attention!

Mods & Themes - Thread by @65coupei6
[TW 4.4.2][ND8] Mods/Themes Compilation - Be aware this is an AT&T thread, but anything confirmed working there should also work here. This is no guarantee though. Also, please remember, if using ANY theme/mod and you find a bug, reflash the rom clean and test it BEFORE posting it here as a bug report. Questions/reports/etc about any of the mods there should be posted there as well. Thanks!

Last edited:

famousk

Mar 9, 2009
Atlanta
i install and everything works(including the screen rotation) but my data isn't working on Metro pcs, any idea how i could fix this
Edit: Fixed it had to manually put in the APN settings everything working now =]

Last edited:
Reactions: tokenpoke

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
You'll probably need to manually enter your apn. I'm not sure what it should be but a quick Google search should net you some good results.

Thank you for trying it out on your T999N btw! This means it should also work just fine on the T999L.

When you say screen rotation works, when you go landscape its not upside down?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

famousk

Mar 9, 2009
Atlanta
You'll probably need to manually enter your apn. I'm not sure what it should be but a quick Google search should net you some good results.

Thank you for trying it out on your T999N btw! This means it should also work just fine on the T999L.

When you say screen rotation works, when you go landscape its not upside down?

Double checked the rotation it is upside down >.<, was so excited i didn't even notice. I attached screenies of the MetroPCS Apn settings if anyone needs them

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-12-02-21-58.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-12-02-21-58.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 424
  • Screenshot_2014-05-12-02-22-13.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-12-02-22-13.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 394
Reactions: DocHoliday77

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
So it appears in your screenshots that the apn did fix mobile data, right?

I'm pretty sure the screen rotation issue is in the kernel somewhere. I'm looking into it and waiting to hear back from someone else who might have an idea on what to look for.

famousk

Mar 9, 2009
Atlanta
So it appears in your screenshots that the apn did fix mobile data, right?

I'm pretty sure the screen rotation issue is in the kernel somewhere. I'm looking into it and waiting to hear back from someone else who might have an idea on what to look for.

yes the apn worked like a charm =). everything is working perfect now except the WiFi, my LTE speeds are faster than my wifi so i don't even care XD

joseyamil7

Jun 21, 2012
Besides the wifi and screen rotation im having gps issues google maps and the weather widget dont find my location, dont know if someone has the same issue. Other than that everything else works perfectly amazing job Doc.

Reactions: DocHoliday77

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Besides the wifi and screen rotation im having gps issues google maps and the weather widget dont find my location, dont know if someone has the same issue. Other than that everything else works perfectly amazing job Doc.

Try downloading and installing GPS Test by Chartcross. Run it and give it a few moments to find satellites and your location. It should narrow it down to several feet. Now try your maps and weather.

Reactions: joseyamil7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KitKat 4.4.2
    :cowboy:Port from Sprint's Build VPUDND8
    :cowboy:

:victory:FINAL RELEASE!!!:victory:
    :cowboy::cool::cowboy:

attachment.php

Remember! You flash anything and everything at your own risk! Neither I nor anyone else here at XDA or anywhere else can be held responsible for anything that goes wrong!

I am very pleased to present to you the first Touchwiz KitKat rom for the T999 and variants!!! :victory:

WiFi and screen rotation are now fully functional! HUGE Thanks to @ktoonsez for his kt747 kernel which solved these two very annoying issues!!! If you have not already, make sure you visit one of his threads and thank him for his outstanding work! (We don't even have the kernel source for the T999 and I747 and he still managed to build a fantastic kernel for us to use!) (It is included with the rom, no need to flash separately.
    Visit his Kernel Thread to learn more about this kernel!

Currently, there are very few bugs and I feel this rom is perfectly capable to be a DD. See below for a list of bugs and temporary solutions so you can fix them until the next update.

Anyone is more than welcome to use this Rom in anyway they choose without asking permission first! Just please don't forget your credits, and make sure you include ktoonsez, CNexus, JustArchi and the Sprint folks without whom this Rom would not be possible!

This is quite capable to be a base for devs to create or update their current roms with. If nothing else, it would be a great way to get started by using it to test and debug your mods in preparation for the official release which isn't too far off now! (I am told, by someone who I believe to be a reliable source, that KK for the T999 and T999L should be released between 5/28 and 6/5! Possibly sooner if testing goes well!) (I have also heard that more and more test builds are being produced, indicating that they are getting close!)

Please keep an eye on the following few posts for more information about KitKat, and what to expect when our update is finally released. I have learned some interesting things working with this and the guys in the Sprint forums so I hope to relay all of that to the rest of you here.

Prerequisites
    You must be running the FULL 4.3 bootloader and firmware! It has been reported to not boot when using the 4.1.2 or earlier firmware. This rom has been confirmed to work with the T999 (NC2 and MJC) and both the T999L and T999N (NC1).

Downloads

T999_Sprint_ND8_Port_2.1
    SourceForge Mirror

T999_Sprint_ND8_Port_2.0
    SourceForge Mirror

ND8_PORT_STOCK_DEODEXED_ROOTED.zip

Sprint_ND8_Insecure_Kernel

Sprint_ND8_Stock_Kernel

NOTE: I am leaving the above Sprint kernels in case any devs want them for any reason. These are NOT intended for normal use with this rom. They will break wifi and screen rotation is upside down. Also with the secure kernel you would have issues writing to your sd card.

Instructions

BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!
    Flash rom via latest version of the custom recovery of your choice
    Factory Reset recommended
    First boot WILL take a while! Several minutes at least.
    During setup, after choosing your language, you will see a screen with "Wait a sec..." at the top.
    DO NOT, let the screen time out and turn off!!! (You will have to start over!)
    After this, proceed with setup normally and reboot when done.

To fix the WiFi icon in statusbar
    Open the Google Play Store and wait for it to load its home screen. Close the store.
    Using a root file browser, go to /system and edit the build.prop as follows:
    Change ro.product.name= "d2tmo" to "d2spr". Save and reboot.
    (Note: by making this change, you will fix the WiFi icon, but will lose the T-Mobile 4G data icon. It will show 3G, H+ instead.)
    (IMPORTANT: If you do not open the Play Store app BEFORE making this change, the Store will NOT work!)

Pests (Known Bugs)

MMS will not send with WiFi on - It seems this is how all Sprint builds are made. Not actually a bug, but I am told there is a Wanam Xposed module that can make this work. If WiFi is on, you can send and receive SMS, but cannot send MMS and will just get a notification if one is received.

You can only have one of the following two: Either the nice looking WiFi statusbar icon, or the T-Mobile 4G icon. Fixing one reverts the other.

Pesticide (Temporary fixes for bugs)

WiFi Icon fix
    In build.prop, change d2tmo to d2spr. Reboot. -Thanks to @serio22 for figuring this odd one out! :highfive:
    See instructions above. This will break the Play Store unless you first open the app and let it load.

I want to extend my gratitude and a huge thanks to all the folks in the Sprint forums for making this port possible! If I forget anyone please let me know! If you see these guys be sure to hit their "Thanks" button!

Original Sprint Rom Thread
    CNexus' [STOCK ROM][4.4] ND8 Kitkat ROM

:cool:Thanks and Credits:highfive:
    @CNexus - For all of his hard work on Sprints official release, his dedication and for being such a cool Kat to work with! @ktoonsez - For his outstanding kernel and help!
    @JustArchi - For his new ArchiKitchen that allowed them to get out a fully functional ROM!
    @bilgerryan - For his helpful posts and info!
    @DR_CDMA - For releasing the ND8 firmware so quickly!
    @serio22 for the WiFi icon placement fix.
    @rompnit, @freeza, @sleshepic, @tdunham, @jdsingle76 - For helping CNexus and other posts and contributions!
    @srnoth - For being who I believe to be the first to get Sprints release running on a different device (in a bit of a roundabout way!)
    @Perseus71, @TheLastSidekick, @Aerowinder, @Woody, @saranhai, @enewman17, @mrRobinson - For always being so cool and helpful! I've learned a lot from them all whether they realize it or not!​
    Well guys....looks like I'm done for a while.....phone is broken so I don't have anything to work with anymore. No idea when I will be able to fix it either so I'm going to have to call it quits until I can afford it. Ill still try to pop on from time to time to answer questions, but I've always been able to do that from anywhere on my phone so I won't be able to do that near as much either. Really sorry to leave you guys hanging, but I just don't have any way I can effectively work on any of this anymore.
    I will come back at some point, but I hate to say it will probably be quite a while. I do hope you guys continue to enjoy this rom and those being made based on it!
    Take it easy everyone! Sorry again.....
    Doc
    Uploading Sprint Port 2.0 now!

Changelog for this update:

• Included kt747 kernel (5-13-2014) (WiFi and Screen Rotation fixed!)
    • Added APN's (Should now auto-populate regardless of your carrier. AKA, no more manual setup!)
    • Updated system apps
    • Replaced Sprint Startup/Shutdown animation with T-Mobiles
    • Fixed Video Playback bug (horribly choppy playback on hi-res vids? Not anymore!)
    For those who missed it, I updated the op yesterday and to get you by till I update again I have listed fixes to all known issues. I suggest rereading it if you havent already. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    ChangeLog

1.0 - Initial Release

2.0 - (5.14.2014)
    • Included kt747 kernel (5-13-2014) (WiFi fixed, Screen Rotation Fixed)
    • Updated system apps
    • Replaced Sprint Shutdown animation with T-Mobiles (oops forgot the sounds! Still Sprint Sounds with Tmobile anim)
    • Fixed Video Playback bug (horribly choppy playback on hi-res vids)

v2.1 - Final - (5.16.2014)
    • Fixed APN issues from previous release - Thanks to @lj27416 for posting the apns-conf.xml
    • Fixed Maps force closing
    • Fixed reboot binary - Thanks to @CNexus
    • Updated system apps (including todays Google Play Store update with Paypal support)