• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][RAV*/SOFIA*][10][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1

Search This thread

Leroy_Sparks

Jun 12, 2018
Hey all,

I apologize for the incredibly amateur questions, but I am very new to this (first android phone/first custom ROM load). I successfully installed Lineage 17.1 on my Moto G Power and I am glad to see the F-droid store there. However, there are some apps that I need for work from the google play store (unfortunately they are closed source). How can I get the google play store installed alongside F-droid? Also, any other tips/suggestions for a newbie are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you are OK with having google apps (& eyes) on your phone, you can download and flash gapps (Google APPS). Open gapps (opengapps.org) is a very popular source. Depending on what google functionality you need, you select/download the package you need from the ARM64/android 10 version (for lineage 17).

Even the smallest packages pico or nano will install google playstore. If you prefer to avoid google framework you can simply download the apk files from places like apkmirror or apkpure. Many of us that avoid google as much as possible install microg and Aurora Store, but that can be a bit of a challenge for newbies.

Mar 11, 2021
If you are OK with having google apps (& eyes) on your phone, you can download and flash gapps (Google APPS). Open gapps (opengapps.org) is a very popular source. Depending on what google functionality you need, you select/download the package you need from the ARM64/android 10 version (for lineage 17).

Even the smallest packages pico or nano will install google playstore. If you prefer to avoid google framework you can simply download the apk files from places like apkmirror or apkpure. Many of us that avoid google as much as possible install microg and Aurora Store, but that can be a bit of a challenge for newbies.

Ideally I would like to avoid the Google botnet as much as possible. Infact this was largely the reason I decided to switch over to a custom ROM android phone. However, there are certain proprietary apps that I do need for work. If there is a way I could possibly get around Google to get to these apps that I need that would be fantastic.

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
All you need is APKPure or Aurora Store. They mirror everything in Play.

However some apps -require- certain aspects of the G**gle core (Lowes, Lyft, etc), in which case you can add the microG repo to F-Droid, and install microG Core. You might also need microG framework. This will fool them.

There's more at microG you can add for added functionality but I wouldn't go as far as to install their mapping or Play emulator as that actually uses the Play repo. For nav, Magic Earth is miraculous.

PS - Lineage is lame. I was very disappointed, and went back to Havoc 3.12 which is worthy of this phone.

Last edited:

TaZeR369

Aug 28, 2016
Could someone try to explain in simple terms why the FM Radio won't function on custom roms? And if there is anyway to get it working, perhaps by using a different app or modifying the current one somehow?

tcaudill01

May 31, 2010
Tuscaloosa
Moto G Power
Could someone try to explain in simple terms why the FM Radio won't function on custom roms? And if there is anyway to get it working, perhaps by using a different app or modifying the current one somehow?
Some ROMs do have functioning FM (i.e. Arrow 11). From what I understand, the kernel has to have the proper hardware links (drivers) in order for the FM radio to function.

Banana_sam

Mar 24, 2021
All you need is APKPure or Aurora Store. They mirror everything in Play.

However some apps -require- certain aspects of the G**gle core (Lowes, Lyft, etc), in which case you can add the microG repo to F-Droid, and install microG Core. You might also need microG framework. This will fool them.

There's more at microG you can add for added functionality but I wouldn't go as far as to install their mapping or Play emulator as that actually uses the Play repo. For nav, Magic Earth is miraculous.

PS - Lineage is lame. I was very disappointed, and went back to Havoc 3.12 which is worthy of this phone.
never heard of Magic Earth. its like an alternative to googles mapping api? so far the only thing ive needed microGs mapping for is to use the craigslist app, otherwise the CL app wont work.

in your opinion, do you feel like theres no use case for lineage 17.1? im new to custom roms and this is the first one ive tried. my motives for going with lineage was because i want to avoid botnet goolag as much as i can. i dont use any gapps, but just use microG incase theres apps or websites i need to pass safetycheck to access.

ive read a little bit(admittedly not as much as i should) about how lineage has some security issues, since its whats called a userdebug build(i need to read more to get a better idea of what this means) and this is supposed to be where a lot of its security flaws derive from. so my question to you is, do you think havoc 3.12 offers anything in terms of better/enhanced security or privacy that lineage doesnt already include?

there was a side by side performance/speed test ive watched on YT comparing lineage and havoc, havoc seemed to come out as the winner for that test. however im only interested in a rom for privacy and security. better mobile game play and things like adding nifty customization with the UI or whatever isnt all that important to me. so is it worth the switch for my use case?

Reactions: sifrax

Leroy_Sparks

Jun 12, 2018
never heard of Magic Earth. its like an alternative to googles mapping api? so far the only thing ive needed microGs mapping for is to use the craigslist app, otherwise the CL app wont work.

in your opinion, do you feel like theres no use case for lineage 17.1? im new to custom roms and this is the first one ive tried. my motives for going with lineage was because i want to avoid botnet goolag as much as i can. i dont use any gapps, but just use microG incase theres apps or websites i need to pass safetycheck to access.

ive read a little bit(admittedly not as much as i should) about how lineage has some security issues, since its whats called a userdebug build(i need to read more to get a better idea of what this means) and this is supposed to be where a lot of its security flaws derive from. so my question to you is, do you think havoc 3.12 offers anything in terms of better/enhanced security or privacy that lineage doesnt already include?

there was a side by side performance/speed test ive watched on YT comparing lineage and havoc, havoc seemed to come out as the winner for that test. however im only interested in a rom for privacy and security. better mobile game play and things like adding nifty customization with the UI or whatever isnt all that important to me. so is it worth the switch for my use case?
I've run both lineage 17 & Havoc 3 on my g power. One thing that poster didn't address was that the OP has been building periodic updates for lineage 17, such as security patches, whereas I believe the developer of Havoc has moved on to v4 and hasn't updated 3 since last November.

Operationally I see few differences but I'm not a "power user". The only feature not built into lineage that I missed was the configurable battery bar at the top, but it was easily remedied by installing the power line app.

IceWing_mk1

May 25, 2021
*hangs head in shame*

Ok, I'm stumped and I need help.

Last time I rooted a phone, it was our old HTC Thunderbolts... Things have changed significantly since then, or so it would appear.

Trying to fix my wife's phone after a Verizon OTA update seems to have jumped her phone from Android 10 to 11, and in the process nerfed the hotspot (which we need, as we're rural with no landline broadband available)

I'm working on a Moto G Power (sofia XT2041-4), bought late last year off the shelf from Best Buy.

Home PC is a Windows 10 box. I do not have a linux environment available to me.

So, here's where I'm at in the last 48 hours.
  • I have gone in and gotten the unlock key from motorola, and successfully undone the OEM Lock. (I know this is the case because it tells me I'm an idiot and I should lock it, every time it boots up now). This also managed to wipe the phone, which, oops, read to the end of the paragraph BEFORE unlocking and deleting pictures of the grandkids which came in since the last backup.
  • Somehow last night, I managed to get it to be a brick, but used LMSA to unbrick it, but that version is still the OTA updated Android 11, so same problem with the hotspot.
  • I have installed the Android SDK, newest motorola drivers, and also the standalone 'Minimal ADB and Fastboot' on my PC
  • I've managed to get TWRP installed in the recovery portion of the phone.
  • Following this video, I managed to bring TWRP up, wiped the device, then copied the Lineage OS image to the microSD card, as well as Open GApps.
  • When I try to install the LinageOS (17.1), it looks like it's installing, goes through steps 1 and 2, then a slew of error messages in the log.
  • I've got the 4 image files I pulled out of one of the LineageOS zip files (Boot, Product, System, VBMeta) in the 'Minimal ADB and Fastboot' directory.
  • I can run 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' from the 'Minimal ADB and Fastboot' directory and it succeeds.
  • When I try to run Product, System or VBMeta in the same way (cmdline = fastboot flash product product.img), all of them fail the Preflash Validation and it comes back with 'FAILED (remote failure)'
Things I'm not sure about
  • First, I'm pretty sure I'm not in FastbootD. I don't see a big red FASTBOOTD at the top, and according to this thread, means I'm not in it.
  • I think FASTBOOTD should be something I'm interacting with on the Moto G Power, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to it.
I feel like I've got to be CLOSE to getting this thing working, but damned if I can seem to cross the finish line.

Help?

Edit: I'm redownloading the image into LMSA since apparently getting one of four images onto a phone stops it from booting successfully and my trying to use LMSA to get the linageOS onto the phone messed up the zip file.

Last edited:

Spigaw

Dec 1, 2010
Lyon
Moto G Power
*hangs head in shame*

Ok, I'm stumped and I need help.

Last time I rooted a phone, it was our old HTC Thunderbolts... Things have changed significantly since then, or so it would appear.

Trying to fix my wife's phone after a Verizon OTA update seems to have jumped her phone from Android 10 to 11, and in the process nerfed the hotspot (which we need, as we're rural with no landline broadband available)

I'm working on a Moto G Power (sofia XT2041-4), bought late last year off the shelf from Best Buy.

Home PC is a Windows 10 box. I do not have a linux environment available to me.

So, here's where I'm at in the last 48 hours.
  • I have gone in and gotten the unlock key from motorola, and successfully undone the OEM Lock. (I know this is the case because it tells me I'm an idiot and I should lock it, every time it boots up now). This also managed to wipe the phone, which, oops, read to the end of the paragraph BEFORE unlocking and deleting pictures of the grandkids which came in since the last backup.
  • Somehow last night, I managed to get it to be a brick, but used LMSA to unbrick it, but that version is still the OTA updated Android 11, so same problem with the hotspot.
  • I have installed the Android SDK, newest motorola drivers, and also the standalone 'Minimal ADB and Fastboot' on my PC
  • I've managed to get TWRP installed in the recovery portion of the phone.
  • Following this video, I managed to bring TWRP up, wiped the device, then copied the Lineage OS image to the microSD card, as well as Open GApps.
  • When I try to install the LinageOS (17.1), it looks like it's installing, goes through steps 1 and 2, then a slew of error messages in the log.
  • I've got the 4 image files I pulled out of one of the LineageOS zip files (Boot, Product, System, VBMeta) in the 'Minimal ADB and Fastboot' directory.
  • I can run 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' from the 'Minimal ADB and Fastboot' directory and it succeeds.
  • When I try to run Product, System or VBMeta in the same way (cmdline = fastboot flash product product.img), all of them fail the Preflash Validation and it comes back with 'FAILED (remote failure)'
Things I'm not sure about
  • First, I'm pretty sure I'm not in FastbootD. I don't see a big red FASTBOOTD at the top, and according to this thread, means I'm not in it.
  • I think FASTBOOTD should be something I'm interacting with on the Moto G Power, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to it.
I feel like I've got to be CLOSE to getting this thing working, but damned if I can seem to cross the finish line.

Help?

Edit: I'm redownloading the image into LMSA since apparently getting one of four images onto a phone stops it from booting successfully and my trying to use LMSA to get the linageOS onto the phone messed up the zip file.
I managed to get to fastbootd by restoring my G8 with LMSA. After that, go back to bootloader mode, use the command
Code:
fastboot reboot fastboot
and then you'll get into fastbootd with its big shiny brighty reddy letters.

HOWEVER, I still can't understand the following and it'd be nice if someone was able to explain it to me (seriously, what's the matter with all this A/B slots stuff):
  1. Why, when flashing TWRP, fastbootd isn't available anymore and fastboot reboot fastboot returns a recovery boot?
  2. Why does my phone go back to the bootloader when flashing all the ROM files from fastbootd? Is it because I did not flash TWRP? If so, how can I boot fastbood if the command fastboot reboot fastboot returns a recovery boot?
Thanks for any answer from you guys, because I'm beginning to feel stuck :)

Cheers!

sifrax

Apr 24, 2015
Good news I've managed to compile LOS18.1. But I haven"t tried it, it's my primary phone and I can't break it. Any volunteer?

https://mega.nz/file/8gonBIgD#6Kon0qwOZS8WdrUAgQqAPJjO7qy1tDiKcua_EMjHYOA

Code:
sha256sum lineage-18.1-20210603-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip
72697012fb777affd32fe2b32adba11668863bc81c30ba3fc7a6b81a07c8ba8e  lineage-18.1-20210603-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip

And the source code is in manifest (github):
Code:
cat /home/los18/manifests/sofiar.xml  
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project name="frantiseksimorda/android_device_motorola_sofiar-1" path="device/motorola/sofiar" remote="github" />
  <project name="frantiseksimorda/android_kernel_motorola_trinket" path="kernel/motorola/trinket" remote="github" />
  <project name="frantiseksimorda/android_vendor_motorola_sofiar-1" path="vendor/motorola/sofiar" remote="github" />
</manifest>

Last edited:
Reactions: Banana_sam

sifrax

Apr 24, 2015
i ran the payload file through payload dumper after boot and its just a boot img
It extracted 5 files for me:
Screenshot_20210610_093318.png

Juniecakes97

Jun 7, 2021
Good news I've managed to compile LOS18.1. But I haven"t tried it, it's my primary phone and I can't break it. Any volunteer?

Code:
sha256sum lineage-18.1-20210603-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip
72697012fb777affd32fe2b32adba11668863bc81c30ba3fc7a6b81a07c8ba8e  lineage-18.1-20210603-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip
I got stuck here:

C:\Users\Meeee\Downloads\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash system system.img
Invalid sparse file format at header magic
Resizing 'system_a' FAILED (remote: '')
fastboot: error: Command failed

C:\Users\Meeee\Downloads\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash product lineageSo\product.img
Resizing 'product_a' FAILED (remote: '')

C:\Users\Meeee\Downloads\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash vbmeta lineageSo\vbmeta.img
Sending 'vbmeta_a' (4 KB) OKAY [ 0.001s]
Writing 'vbmeta_a' (bootloader) WARNING: vbmeta_a anti rollback downgrade, 0 vs 14
OKAY [ 0.009s]
Finished. Total time: 0.015s

Beetle84

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2013
Hervey Bay
I got stuck here:

C:\Users\Meeee\Downloads\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash system system.img

C:\Users\Meeee\Downloads\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash product lineageSo\product.img

C:\Users\Meeee\Downloads\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>fastboot flash vbmeta lineageSo\vbmeta.img
Writing 'vbmeta_a' (bootloader) WARNING: vbmeta_a anti rollback downgrade, 0 vs 14
OKAY [ 0.009s]
You aren't in fastboot d

Reactions: sifrax

sifrax

Apr 24, 2015
I got stuck here:

OKAY [ 0.009s]
As I noted It's a test build I have never tested it and it might not work. LOS17.1 I build worked when I build it on first try, 18.1 looks not.
I'd like to have more confirmation and later maybe next build will work or if someone can give me a hand I'd love to have LOS18.1 on my Sofiar device.
Please google fastbootd or search this thread. Every other person fails to enter fastbootd

Reactions: Banana_sam

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yUIn6TF.png

Mostly copied from @asineth

Disclaimer: You decided to flash your phone. I'm not responsible for bricking phone or data loss.

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

Downloads:
    Ziped images for suggested install:

lineage-17.1-20210329-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar-images.zip
    sha256sum: c57d69ade235f5c76c6eea038ad29f81e522ef713ea00b89c10010a52d6cf17f

Build for TWRP/sideload:
    lineage-17.1-20210427-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip
    sha256sum: 9c2ada552cdb3ea29ffe63f175fe514daae429c1a727cd41a574e46e97f9ffe9

lineage-17.1-20210329-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip
    sha256sum: dae9ec116de163a46efea1a1316a86dfdffda625cc568109c268f255722134e4

Lineage 18.1 - not tested:

Last updated: 2021.04.27

This ROM includes:
    • FDroid
    • FDroidPrivilegedExtension

Flashing:

I recommend GNU/Linux for this.

1. Flash TWRP
    2. Extract the zip and open a shell with ADB and fastboot.
    3. Reboot your device into fastbootd mode.
    Code:
    fastboot reboot fastboot
    4. Flash boot, system, product, and vbmeta.
    Code:
    fastboot set_active a
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash product product.img
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    4. Wipe userdata.
    5CODE]fastboot -w[/CODE]

If you are on the Moto G8/G Fast and your display cutout is misbehaving, enable your overlay like so:

Code:
    adb shell cmd overlay enable org.omnirom.overlay.moto.rav

Update:​

Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash product product.img
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot reboot

Working:
    • Display
    • Touchscreen
    • Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth (including audio)
    • Headphones via 3.5mm
    • Internal Speaker
    • Moto Actions
    • Calls/SMS/LTE/VoLTE on Verizon
    • GPS
    • Notification LED
    • Hotspot

Bugs:
    • After turning hotspot off, phone reboots
    • Inbuild screen recording app broken, phone reboots

Source:
    LineageOS
    Device tree
    Vendor tree
    Kernel tree

Telegram:
    https://t.me/MotoG8Official

Credits:

XDADevDB Information
    [ROM][RAV*/SOFIA*][10][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1, ROM for the Moto G Power

ROM OS Version:
    Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information

Created
    Last Updated 2021.04.27
    No idea how these files differ, which one do I use or how.

No idea what this means or why is it important and listed as second most important paragraph.

Don't know what that means.

Don't know what `fastbootd` mode is.

Doesn't work, after reboot the command line says "waiting for any devices". Can't continue.

Every year I try some Android device and venture to XDA to try some custom ROMs. It never works.
    This is a very stable and well presented ROM. It is also very easy to install.
    I'm not trying to be a ****, but with all the questions you have, you obviously have no idea what you are doing! If other people are successfully installing and using a ROM and you can't, the problem is not the ROM.
    For starters, is your bootloader unlocked? If not, you need to do that before trying anything. If you don't know how, use search.
    Most of your answers are here

"Moto G Power Guides, News, & Discussion"​

Do your homework first and read everything you can.
    New build - kernel update from Odin.
    lineage-17.1-20210329-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar-images.zip
    sha256sum: c57d69ade235f5c76c6eea038ad29f81e522ef713ea00b89c10010a52d6cf17f

lineage-17.1-20210329-UNOFFICIAL-sofiar.zip
    sha256sum: dae9ec116de163a46efea1a1316a86dfdffda625cc568109c268f255722134e4
    I downloaded and installed this yesterday. So far, I haven't encountered any issues or found anything that doesn't work. Good job!!!!
    I thought I was flashing 10 based on the site I got it from, but based on the below build info, it seems I've been flashing 11. Should I find an Android 10 stock rom instead?

BUILD REQUEST INFO:
    SW Version: sofiar_retail-user 11 RPE31.Q4U-47-35 0edbf release-keysM6125_43.45.03.44R
    Modem Version: M6125_43.45.03.44R
    FSG Version: FSG-6125-03.97
    MBM Version: MBM-3.0-sofiar_retail-5e7c77c73-210221
    Build Fingerprint: motorola/sofiar_retail/sofiar:11/RPE31.Q4U-47-35/0edbf:user/release-keys

VERSION INFO FOUND UNDER 'ABOUT PHONE' SCREEN:
    System Version: 31.0.34.sofiar_retail.retail.en.US
    Model Number: moto g(8) power
    Android Version: 11
    Build Id: RPE31.Q4U-47-35
    SW Display Build ID: RPE31.Q4U-47-35
    Build Date: Sun Feb 21 20:28:39 CST 2021

OTHER MISC VERSION INFO:
    Subsidy Lock Config: slcf_rev_d_default_v1.0.nvm
    Regulatory Info (eLabel): regulatory_info_xt2041_1_mexico.png
    eLabel SHA1: a4711f57031a098ad2db4c3855bf31212478886f
    Blur Version: Blur_Version.31.0.34.sofiar_retail.retail.en.US
    Version when read from CPV: sofiar_retail-user 11 RPE31.Q4U-47-35 0edbf release-keys

AB Update Enabled: False
    Full Treble Enabled: False
    Yep, definitely.