[ROM] [ROOT] MTK 8227L 2GB/32GB BONROAD BMW E60/E65/E90/E92 8.8" Touch Screen head unit iDrive integration (Magisk root now working!)

Search This thread

biznatcher

Jan 21, 2021
Hi everyone,

Created an account just so I could post this as I hadn't seen the firmware for this specific 8227L setup anywhere else. This ROM was sent to me by the seller of the unit directly, obviously no guarantees it will work on any other unit.

Anyway, it's for an 8227L_demo with 2GB ram, 32GB ROM, 8.8" touch screen, 1280x480 resolution. It is setup to be integrated with the BMW iDrive system, allowing you to switch back and forth between the original iDrive and the Android unit - the ROM is supposedly Android 10, but I believe it's really 8.1 as usual. Factory settings menu password is 8888.

It's worth noting that the ROM has no radio app baked in as this particular 8227L has no radio tuner (at least as far as I know) as it retains and uses the OEM BMW radio tuner instead. The ROM does have the ID6 EVO BMW launcher integrated which someone might be able to extract for use on other units.

I haven't attempted to root the ROM as yet, but will follow up with results when I do.

Hope this helps someone out, or some nice development for this unit can come from it.

Enjoy!

mega.nz link to ROM

UI Screenshot:

Hbcf4a24a48274fa0afa79e4135af3aa7J.png

Reactions: JayDubbleU

biznatcher

Jan 21, 2021
An update on rooting.

I was successfully able to root it using the ADB method for 8227L, and had root access for approximately 10 minutes. After that, the headunit rebooted by itself and displayed a black screen with a multicoloured circle and chinese writing (download mode maybe?). The headunit then rebooted to a fresh installation of the firmware, wiping all user data.

I attempted to root it a few more times again via the ADB method, however when I reach the step 'adb remount', the headunit immediately reboots, yet again to a fresh installation wiping all user data. Unsure of what's going on, perhaps some kind of inbuilt protection in the firmware? Anyway, now it seems I cannot root via this method.

Next attempt at root would be to bake it into the ROM, does anyone have this expertise?

biznatcher

Jan 21, 2021
I was successfully able to root this unit using magisk to patch the boot.img.

I then extracted the firmware (as above) to the thumbdrive, making sure that the parent folder is named CKXUPG. I then replaced the boot.img in that folder with the patched one, and performed the system update.

Patched boot.img attached. I am able to grant superuser permissions to apps etc. There still appears to be some kind of file system protection however, as when I attempted to replace the bootanimation.zip in the root/system/media folder, I was again presented with the black screen, multicoloured circle and chinese writing and of course wiped user data. Thankfully because magisk was already baked into the boot.img, I didn't need to re-root the device.

Maybe someone can figure out what that file system protection is and how we can disable it? Otherwise advice on unpacking these system.img and repacking them would be appreciated.

Attachments

• boot.img
    6.8 MB · Views: 341

JayDubbleU

Mar 16, 2021
Hi everyone,

Created an account just so I could post this as I hadn't seen the firmware for this specific 8227L setup anywhere else. This ROM was sent to me by the seller of the unit directly, obviously no guarantees it will work on any other unit.

Anyway, it's for an 8227L_demo with 2GB ram, 32GB ROM, 8.8" touch screen, 1280x480 resolution. It is setup to be integrated with the BMW iDrive system, allowing you to switch back and forth between the original iDrive and the Android unit - the ROM is supposedly Android 10, but I believe it's really 8.1 as usual. Factory settings menu password is 8888.

It's worth noting that the ROM has no radio app baked in as this particular 8227L has no radio tuner (at least as far as I know) as it retains and uses the OEM BMW radio tuner instead. The ROM does have the ID6 EVO BMW launcher integrated which someone might be able to extract for use on other units.

I haven't attempted to root the ROM as yet, but will follow up with results when I do.

Hope this helps someone out, or some nice development for this unit can come from it.

Enjoy!

mega.nz link to ROM

UI Screenshot:

View attachment 5194423
I have the same screen and no access to the advanced settings menu. As hard a time that I had dealing with no space for the harness, I would expect the ability to change things to my liking!!! I am ready to put the original back in and call it a day.

kynet

May 2, 2021
Hy , can anyone help me with something please . So i have this android headuniton my bmw 8227 2/32GB 10.25 inch and i installed "car launcher free" from google play . And now when i start the car and also the headunit, it does not boot ... it's stuck at the bmw logo so i can't do anything . Can't go to settings to restore it to factory settings . I tried to push the reset buton with a needle but all it does is to restart the headunit. Some one told me to speak to the manufacturer to send me a soft upgrade but i don't know where is the headunit from (i have bought the car with the headunit allready installed). How can i install this firmware on it ? maybe i can acces something and reset it to factory settings if the firmware does't work . Thank you

innye95

May 10, 2021
I've done same thing as you. Problem is that this radio always goes to bootloop when default launcher is changed. I managed to repair mine somehow, but I used so many ways that I don't even which one worked.
Last thing before it started to work was downloading those two files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LJ-FVgn73hxqJ-x7-pSJZuJDkfEV-c-7
Formatting pendrive to FAT32 and putting those two files on it. Then I opened car plugged in key, plugged pendrive to navi USB, disconnected negative terminal from battery for few seconds and then I reconnected negative terminal. It was supposed to boot from pendrive but it didn't happen but somehow it booted right into stock launcher.....

Also my navigation was bought on aliexpress from seller AutoTop, but he blocked me when I asked for original firmware.

Deanicus

Jan 11, 2011
I believe I have the exact same unit, very difficult to find info on them so thanks for this!

Mind if I ask a couple of questions?

1. Does the USB connection work for you when connecting to an Android phone? I can't get mine to connect at all
2. Can you tell me how you made the ROM dump? I think yours is newer than mine and I'd like to flash it but would like to create a backup of mine first, just in case.
3. Can you share a screenshot of the settings screen from the launcher? Mine is below. Just want to compare

IMG_20201223_215426.jpg

innye95

May 10, 2021
I have exactly the same system as you do. The file I attached was some random AC8227L software just to boot this system up somehow to recovery. I did not connect it with phone I just pluged in pendrive

aldro32

Dec 4, 2021
I have exactly the same system as you do. The file I attached was some random AC8227L software just to boot this system up somehow to recovery. I did not connect it with phone I just pluged in pendrive
Hello,
I have the same problem, after BMW logo stays in a black screen showing LINK SYS 1, NO SIGNAL.
Can you share the files you have used please?

mauipascal

May 30, 2019
is there a rom for this device available to update from Android 9 to 10? the details of my device are attached. many thanks in advance

Attachments

• unit px6.jpg
    unit px6.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 130

aldro32

Dec 4, 2021
Hy , can anyone help me with something please . So i have this android headuniton my bmw 8227 2/32GB 10.25 inch and i installed "car launcher free" from google play . And now when i start the car and also the headunit, it does not boot ... it's stuck at the bmw logo so i can't do anything . Can't go to settings to restore it to factory settings . I tried to push the reset buton with a needle but all it does is to restart the headunit. Some one told me to speak to the manufacturer to send me a soft upgrade but i don't know where is the headunit from (i have bought the car with the headunit allready installed). How can i install this firmware on it ? maybe i can acces something and reset it to factory settings if the firmware does't work . Thank you
Hello, I have same problem, I have a screen from the seller AUTOTOP and now is stuck it doesn't boot. Please could you explain me how you solved it? the link of a file you had uploaded is not working. :)

aldro32

Dec 4, 2021
I've done same thing as you. Problem is that this radio always goes to bootloop when default launcher is changed. I managed to repair mine somehow, but I used so many ways that I don't even which one worked.
Last thing before it started to work was downloading those two files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LJ-FVgn73hxqJ-x7-pSJZuJDkfEV-c-7
Formatting pendrive to FAT32 and putting those two files on it. Then I opened car plugged in key, plugged pendrive to navi USB, disconnected negative terminal from battery for few seconds and then I reconnected negative terminal. It was supposed to boot from pendrive but it didn't happen but somehow it booted right into stock launcher.....

Also my navigation was bought on aliexpress from seller AutoTop, but he blocked me when I asked for original firmware.
Hello man, I have also bought a screen from AUTOTOP for my bmw e90. and since a week ago is stuck at the bmw logo. How can I proceed? Seller instructed me to send it back for repairing...

nightchild79

Apr 15, 2010
flytouch2.bplaced.net
Hello there, I like this unit but I have one question.
Can this unit control all features from ccc system like parking heat and other things without the original bmw professionell radio but with idrive knob?

My unit is broken and I have to try a simple 1din radio as amplifier and a 1din cup holder. Have everyone test it without the bmw radio.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

Enjoy!

mega.nz link to ROM

UI Screenshot:

Hbcf4a24a48274fa0afa79e4135af3aa7J.png