[ROM][ROOT][STOCK][7.0] v2 Samsung Tab A 2016 10.1 (SM-P585Y/SM-P580), Jul 23, 2017

Search This thread

mordantly

Apr 16, 2016
I run the p580 wifi only spen "full" rom on my tablet since he released it. Uptime right now... 21,787 hours! 908 days.

Anyhow, I will try to upload it today or tomorrow in it's as downloaded form the author created.

mordantly

Apr 16, 2016
Ok, I found it. I have the full version for P580 (spen and only wifi) with or without magisk. It will take a while to upload so which do you want?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings! :)

ROMs for the two variants of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016, 10.1") with S Pen:
    WiFi+Cellular (SM-P585Y) gtanotexllte (other variants, SM-P585, SM-P585N0, SM-P585M etc. not tested for ROM compatibility)
    WiFi only (SM-P580) gtanotexlwifi (even this has not been tested since I don't have this device)

Disclaimer: No warranties, stated or implied. Flashing a custom ROM might void your warranty. If you download the ROM & use it, you do so at your own risk. The author or XDA are not liable for any issues arising out of the usage of this ROM.

Different people have different requirements, so I have made available two versions of the ROM:
    - Lite (heavily debloated with almost all Samsung apps removed, since I don't use them)
    - Full (No debloat/no apps removed, apart from Knox)

Current version - Nougat 7.0 ROM v2 (rooted with Magisk 13.3)

Download Nougat 7.0 ROM v2 for SM-P580 WiFi only
    Lite: Google Drive
    Full: Google Drive

Download Nougat 7.0 ROM v1 for SM-P585Y WiFi+Cellular
    Lite: Google Drive
    Full: Google Drive

Previous versions - Marshmallow 6.0.1 ROMS (no further development):

Download Marshmallow 6.0.1 ROM v2 for SM-P585Y WiFi+Cellular (its somewhere between lite & full)
    Mega, Mediafire, Dropbox,

Download Marchmallow 6.0.1 ROM v1 for SM-P580 WiFi only
    Lite: Dropbox
    Full: Dropbox
    (Additional disclaimer: I don't have the WiFi only tab, so I cannot test this ROM. It underwent the same process as the WiFi+Cellular model, which I do have, so it should be okay. If you encounter any issues, please let me know.)

Pre-requisites:
    • Enable Developer options by going to Settings -> About device -> Software info -> click 7 times on 'Build number'.
    • Now go to Settings -> Developer options -> Turn on 'OEM Unlock' & 'USB Debugging' if not already done so.

Caution: The stock ROM has Verifed Boot enabled with device-mapper-verity (dm-verity) kernel feature, which prevents a successful bootup if it detects any modification to the original setup. See details. This needs to be disabled if you need to install a custom recovery, or a custom ROM.

Download dm-verity disabler:
    https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/no-verity-opt-encrypt/

Download TWRP recovery:
    LTE version - https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxytaba101lte2016spen.html
    WiFi version - https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxytaba101wifi2016spen.html

Instructions - Install TWRP Recovery & flash DM-Verity disabler:
    • Transfer the downloaded file 'no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip' to SD card or OTG USB drive.
    • Download Odin 3.12.3 or any recent version.
    • Shutdown your tab.
    • Use Power+Volume Down+Home to reach the Download screen & then press Volume Up to confirm.
    • Use the AP section to flash the TWRP recovery.
    • After installing TWRP via Odin, uncheck auto reboot & manually go into TWRP to install the file 'no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip'
    • THEN, format /data, DON'T wipe it.
    • Booting to the stock ROM AFTER installing TWRP without doing this will show you a Verification failed warning, asking you to reset to factory defaults, since you basically overwrote Samsung's default recovery with TWRP, so it is cross with you. ;)

Instructions - Install ROM:
    1. Copy ROM to SD card or OTG USB drive (TWRP can have issues reading the internal storage)
    2. Insert the SD card or OTG USB drive into the tab (very important!) ;)
    3. Press Power + Volume Up + Home & keep them pressed till you reach the TWRP splash screen
    4. Swipe right to allow modification
    5. Install 'no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip' from SD card or OTG USB drive
    6. Format /data
    7. From Advanced Wipe, wipe Dalvik/ART Cache, System, Internal Storage & Cache
    8. Install the ROM, no need to wipe again since we already wiped & formatted in TWRP
    9. Remember to remove the tick mark against reboot before clicking next, do NOT reboot yet!
    10. Wipe Dalvik/ART cache (yes, again, after ROM install)
    11. NOW, Reboot
    12. Let the ROM boot, give it time
    13. Install any extra applications you need

Bugs/Limitations & Workarounds:
    • Some APKs have been removed as part of the deknox/debloat, however, the appropriate system level modifications have not been touched in order to remain as close to stock as possible. So if you try to change a setting which relies on the removed feature, the appropriate app might force close, or it may continue to wait for the missing app. This is expected. Currently I have no plans to correct this behavior.
    • Software updates will not work.
    • Google Play Services might force close, so you will need to update it.
    • Samsung notes may force close out of the box. Just update it from Google Play Store. It will work after that. (zayi)
    • Accessibility service doesn't work on the debloated/lite ROM. Just use any third party keyboard like Swiftkey/Google Gboard etc & then enable the service for the application you desire. (zayi)

ROM features: See post # 2

Extra recommendations for ROM & App recommendations: See post # 3

XPOSED (was only tested on Marshmallow 6.0.1 ROM, NOT on Nougat 7.0):
    Xposed framework v86.1 (you can then upgrade to v87)
    Xposed Installer v3.1
    Xposed modules & other stuff

Credits/Thanks:
    • IAM_TheFlash for the inspiration & advice
    • Assayyed for Assayyed Kitchen, using which this ROM was built, along with the numeroud features of the kitchen, including the app debloat list
    • zayi for the excellent feedback & solutions to the problems the ROM causes. :)
    • AndroidSword for the invaluable guide. :)
    • zxz0O0 for the download tool. :)
    • XDA community for the platform
    • Samsung/updato.com/Samsung Updates Live/Alfafile/MrCrab for the ROM

ROM Screenshots for SM-P585Y attached for the Home screen, Applications & Software Info.
    None for SM-P580, since I don't have the tab to test.

--
    Jp
    Current Nougat 7.0 Releases:
    SM-P585Y Changelog::
    v2:
    • Based on stock Nougat 7.0 XSA (Australia) firmware build P585YDXU1BQF1 from June 2, 2017
    • Android security patch level May 1, 2017
    • Deodexed
    • Zipaligned
    • Rooted with Magisk v13.3
    • SU.d support
    • Busybox installed
    • Build.prop tweaks
    • Init.d support
    • Ext4-TuneFS scripts
    • Knox removed
    • SQLite script
    • ADB Connect/SysRO SysRW scripts
    • Debloated (Lite version, see attachment v3 for details of APK's removed)
    SM-P580 Changelog::
    v1:
    • Based on stock Nougat 7.0 XAR (United States) firmware build P580UEU1BQE4 from June 13, 2017
    • Android security patch level May 1, 2017
    • Deodexed
    • Zipaligned
    • Rooted with Magisk v13.3
    • SU.d support
    • Busybox installed
    • Build.prop tweaks
    • Init.d support
    • Ext4-TuneFS scripts
    • Knox removed
    • SQLite script
    • Debloated (Lite version, see attachment v3 for details of APK's removed)

Old Marshmallow 6.0.1 Releases:
    SM-P585Y Changelog::
    v2:
    • Added some of the stuff back, since it was not playing nice with /data format
    • Investigated Xposed compatibility & added links for Xposed framework, installer & modules
    • Updated instructions
    v1/baseline:
    • Based on stock firmware build P585YDXU1API1
    • Android security patch level September 1, 2016
    • Deodexed
    • Zipaligned
    • Systemless pre-root with SuperSU
    • Busybox installed
    • Build.prop tweaks
    • Init.d support
    • Knox removed
    • SQLite script
    • SU.d support
    • Heavily debloated (See attachment for details of APK's removed)
    • Ext4-Tune2FS scripts
    SM-P580 Changelog::
    v1:
    • Based on stock firmware build P580ZSU1APJ3
    • Android security patch level September 1, 2016
    • Deodexed
    • Zipaligned
    • Systemless pre-root with SuperSU
    • Busybox installed
    • Build.prop tweaks
    • Init.d support
    • Knox removed
    • SQLite script
    • SU.d support
    • Heavily debloated lite version & almost stock full version (See attachment for details of APK's removed in lite)
    • Ext4-Tune2FS scripts

Jp
    Extra recommendations for the tab:
    1. Since SM-P585Y doesn't have a huge internal storage, just 16 GB, out of which, only ~9 GB is left for the user, you may want to use adoptable storage to use your SD card as internal storage. Go to this thread by ashyx to enable adoptable storage, whereby you have the option to convert your SD card as an internal storage unit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-a/how-to/patch-adoptable-storage-enabler-t3507387. The only caveat is that it formats & converts the whole SD card for use as internal storage & you won't be able to pop the card out & use it on your PC to transfer data, you will need to transfer data via the USB cable just like you would for the internal storage.
    2. Go to Developer options & turn off Windows, Transitions & Animator animations. It would visibly speed up your tab slightly by cutting down on the slight delay introduced by the animations.

App recommendations (Free in Play Store):
    • 'Xodo PDF Reader & Editor' for PDF annotation
    • 'INKredible - Handwriting Note' for taking notes with guaranteed beautiful handwriting :)

Jp
    is the dev still active?
    Both with and without magisk.

UNMOLESTED AND AS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY THE THREAD AUTHOR.

Also hostingSamsung BQK1 TAR.

Thanks man. Appreciate it