[ROM][S][mata] Unofficial, optimized LineageOS 19.1 - August 7th

Search This thread

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
The new build is available. It brings a lot of new updates and tweaks. Be sure to read this post, from another thread of mine, to understand what UI/UX changes are included in this build: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...geos-18-1-december-12th.3693223/post-86085733

Regression: the recovery present in this build has got one little issue: the "Back" arrow, visible in the top-left corner of the screen when you are in a submenu , is difficult to press. You must tap a little bit above the arrow, not exactly on the arrow. I'm currently working to fix this issue.

I see that some people have downloaded the 2021-12-13 build I had uploaded to SourceForge two days ago. That was just an experiment I shouldn't have pushed. No worries, just update to today's build to avoid problems.

Okay, I just tried this and EVERYTHING seems to work so far for me, no dreaded mic bug (tested with signal), no ghost touches, full speed WiFi 5, VoLTE, WiFi calling, Essential camera app, good battery life.

I haven't tested hotspot yet so can't comment on that. But other than that this looks like a very smooth, polished stock lineageos experience! I tried it with both stock and gapp'd (using mindthegapps).

Excellent job! Would love to buy you a coffee if you have a link.

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
Okay, I just tried this and EVERYTHING seems to work so far for me, no dreaded mic bug (tested with signal), no ghost touches, full speed WiFi 5, VoLTE, WiFi calling, Essential camera app, good battery life.

I haven't tested hotspot yet so can't comment on that. But other than that this looks like a very smooth, polished stock lineageos experience! I tried it with both stock and gapp'd (using mindthegapps).

Excellent job! Would love to buy you a coffee if you have a link.
Thanks for the words of appreciation. Hotspot & USB tethering works just fine, I use them quite often.
Tomorrow I'll post a flashable zip that should fix the microphone issue in case someone still has problems on this build.

mervinb

May 8, 2015
Thanks for the words of appreciation. Hotspot & USB tethering works just fine, I use them quite often.
Tomorrow I'll post a flashable zip that should fix the microphone issue in case someone still has problems on this build.
I have just updated my PH-1 and the initial results on speaker phone seem good. Thank you so much for trying to address this long-standing issue.

If, after a few weeks, the issue is indeed fixed for all users, is there a chance that your excellent work on the mic issue is pulled into to the official release? That would make a lot of others happy, I think.

For me, I'll stick with your version!

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
I have just updated my PH-1 and the initial results on speaker phone seem good. Thank you so much for trying to address this long-standing issue.

If, after a few weeks, the issue is indeed fixed for all users, is there a chance that your excellent work on the mic issue is pulled into to the official release? That would make a lot of others happy, I think.

For me, I'll stick with your version!
It is indeed possible that fixes I implement (now and in the future) into my builds make their way into the official LineageOS builds. In fact, I have already contributed the recovery visual improvements I've put into my last build (touch support in official nightlies is still WIP).

However, there is something that makes me smile about all the positive feedback on the mic issue in the last build, something that is worth explaining :)
To put it simply, there is no fix!
Since some users told me that there is no mic issue in AOSPA, I've checked AOSPA's device tree, looking for changes in the mixer_paths_tasha.xml file. It turned out that Lineage's tree has got a couple of commits affecting that file that are not there in AOSPA, so I thought: "Let's see if removing them fixes the problem". But, in the end, I forgot to revert those commits before building my latest update. So, audio setup-wise, my latest build is 100% identical to official ones and to my previous ones.

According to the discussion on the Gitlab issue describing this problem, a fix was merged into LineageOS in June 2021. Is it possible that you guys did not try any LineageOS build built after that month, and so did not actually notice the problem was fixed? Seems silly to think, but I can't think of any other explanation.

As of now, I am not facing this issue on my latest build when using the speakerphone in a normal phone call using LineageOS's dialer app. This means that June's fix works fine for me. I'd like everyone to try this specific scenario (ordinary phone call, no Telegram/Whatsapp/Skype/whatever) and report back. Thanks!

Reactions: temporarium

buckiller

Feb 22, 2018
It is indeed possible that fixes I implement (now and in the future) into my builds make their way into the official LineageOS builds. In fact, I have already contributed the recovery visual improvements I've put into my last build (touch support in official nightlies is still WIP).

Yeah, looks like this change is the first for mata since October?

Wonder if you could look into the minimum screen brightness not being low enough ? This is the main issue for me on Lineage (in addition to the mic issue, noticed when recording videos; don't know if it was fixed by default, I just need to remember to use opencamera and select unprocessed as audio source).

Reactions: IronRoo

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
Yeah, looks like this change is the first for mata since October?

Wonder if you could look into the minimum screen brightness not being low enough ? This is the main issue for me on Lineage (in addition to the mic issue, noticed when recording videos; don't know if it was fixed by default, I just need to remember to use opencamera and select unprocessed as audio source).
Let me add these to the list of things I have to give a look at. Unfortunately I will be very busy for the next 2-3 weeks so little will happen until mid January.
Can you describe in more detail the mic issue in the context video recording?

buckiller

Feb 22, 2018
Can you describe in more detail the mic issue in the context video recording?

With Lineage I recorded some videos of some live music and noticed later the video was ruined because a lot of the audio was dipping out like it was being filtered. Tried searching for folks with similar issues and found this thread. I tried this and by selecting unprocessed as the source, it seems fixed. To test, I recorded a video of some violin type music on youtube (laptop) and could immediately notice the difference between default config of Lineage, and the unprocessed option in opencamera. Not sure if it's related to other mic issues on Lineage for ph1.

Speaker phone does not work for me on Lineage, ph1...

And again, I would really appreciate anyone looking into the brightness changes for ph1.. stock has a better, lower brightness on minimum brightness (see earlier link).

Mario3DS

Jul 25, 2013
How can I install Magisk in this rom?

forget it Imanaged to do it by myself, I had to decrypt some payload.bin file and blabla x_x

so far the ROM looks great, no chrome freezes, good performance....

thanks for your work!

Last edited:

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
With Lineage I recorded some videos of some live music and noticed later the video was ruined because a lot of the audio was dipping out like it was being filtered. Tried searching for folks with similar issues and found this thread. I tried this and by selecting unprocessed as the source, it seems fixed. To test, I recorded a video of some violin type music on youtube (laptop) and could immediately notice the difference between default config of Lineage, and the unprocessed option in opencamera. Not sure if it's related to other mic issues on Lineage for ph1.

And again, I would really appreciate anyone looking into the brightness changes for ph1.. stock has a better, lower brightness on minimum brightness (see earlier link).
I'm looking into the video recording microphone issue right now. I think I have found a fix.
Minimum brightness is the next thing I'll look into.

How can I install Magisk in this rom?

forget it Imanaged to do it by myself, I had to decrypt some payload.bin file and blabla x_x

so far the ROM looks great, no chrome freezes, good performance....

thanks for your work!
You chose to do it the hard way :) Flashing it through Lineage recovery would have been enough.

Mario3DS

Jul 25, 2013
I'm looking into the video recording microphone issue right now. I think I have found a fix.
Minimum brightness is the next thing I'll look into.

Some information about the video recording mic issue

apparently the mic sounds so bad on video recordings because the system is assigning the voice cancelling microphone of the phone to record audio instead of the main microphone you use for calls and voice messages

if you use open camera you can change this on its settings so video recording uses the main mic instead but it only works on that app

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
A new build is available! Featuring: January's security patches, some interesting kernel improvements (Linux 4.4.297, lots of useless debugging stuff has been removed from the WiFi chip's driver, some improvements in the USB controller's driver - MTP file transfer speed from PC to phone seems to have improved noticeably, let me know if you agree). The recovery touchscreen regression of the last build has been fixed (now touches are detected in the proper places). There also is a possible fix for the camcorder microphone issues.

Some information about the video recording mic issue

apparently the mic sounds so bad on video recordings because the system is assigning the voice cancelling microphone of the phone to record audio instead of the main microphone you use for calls and voice messages

if you use open camera you can change this on its settings so video recording uses the main mic instead but it only works on that app
Can you guys please try out video recording again, to check if the microphone issue is gone? Thanks.

Reactions: eunius

Mario3DS

Jul 25, 2013
A new build is available! Featuring: January's security patches, some interesting kernel improvements (Linux 4.4.297, lots of useless debugging stuff has been removed from the WiFi chip's driver, some improvements in the USB controller's driver - MTP file transfer speed from PC to phone seems to have improved noticeably, let me know if you agree). The recovery touchscreen regression of the last build has been fixed (now touches are detected in the proper places). There also is a possible fix for the camcorder microphone issues.

Can you guys please try out video recording again, to check if the microphone issue is gone? Thanks.
it sounds a bit louder I think

tried it with Essential Camera app, Gcam and Whatsapp video recording feature

MuddyDog

Sep 3, 2019
A new build is available! Featuring: January's security patches, some interesting kernel improvements (Linux 4.4.297, lots of useless debugging stuff has been removed from the WiFi chip's driver, some improvements in the USB controller's driver - MTP file transfer speed from PC to phone seems to have improved noticeably, let me know if you agree). The recovery touchscreen regression of the last build has been fixed (now touches are detected in the proper places).

Hi, the only issue I have encountered is a long standing one: in-call audio when VoLTE is enabled fails, there is either no audio or sped up 'chipmunk' audio. When VoLTE is disabled, in-call audio works ok. This bug runs across all of the Lineage based roms I have tried (Statix, CarbonROM, Havoc, etc.)

The CarbonROM devs have looked at this (a bit) and said that this bug is very carrier specific. I am using t-mobile in the USA, which is apparently one of the affected carriers.

On the other hand, VoLTE works in AOSPA pa-ruby-1-mata-20210629-beta, phhusson's A11 builds and all of the A11 gsi's based on phhusson.

The bug presents as if the amr-wb decoder is receiving a different bitrate than it expects.
In any event, since phh et al. and paranoid android have this working, the fix exists. (or I could just change over to ATT or Verizon)

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
Hi, the only issue I have encountered is a long standing one: in-call audio when VoLTE is enabled fails, there is either no audio or sped up 'chipmunk' audio. When VoLTE is disabled, in-call audio works ok. This bug runs across all of the Lineage based roms I have tried (Statix, CarbonROM, Havoc, etc.)

The CarbonROM devs have looked at this (a bit) and said that this bug is very carrier specific. I am using t-mobile in the USA, which is apparently one of the affected carriers.

On the other hand, VoLTE works in AOSPA pa-ruby-1-mata-20210629-beta, phhusson's A11 builds and all of the A11 gsi's based on phhusson.

The bug presents as if the amr-wb decoder is receiving a different bitrate than it expects.
In any event, since phh et al. and paranoid android have this working, the fix exists. (or I could just change over to ATT or Verizon)
Is the problem present on later AOSPA R builds? Or are there none?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I've just realized July's build was never made available via OTA, sorry!
    Anyway, I've released a new build with lots of interesting stuff (mainly optimizations for bionic's routines). And it's of course available via OTA. Enjoy!

EDIT: and very importantly, today's build contains a workaround for the long-standing issue of bad audio quality in video recordings :) I'm working to refine the workaround and turn it into a proper fix that can be pushed to official LineageOS as well.
    In this thread I'll share with you my personal builds of LineageOS 19.1 and 18.1 for the Essential PH-1 (codename: mata). These builds are unofficial LineageOS builds, customized with my favorite tweaks and features, and with some interesting optimizations.

MAIN FEATURES
    LineageOS 19.1 features:
    • support for MicroG (signature spoofing) - read the 2nd post!
    • some debugging/tracing instructions have been removed from ART
    • some UI changes from ProtonAOSP (ripple effect)
    • updates and compiler optimizations applied to critical system components (ART, memory management routines, mathematical routines)
    • bionic libc fixes and updates
    • updated 3rd-party libraries: SQLite, giflib, zlib
    • inbuilt F-Droid privileged extension
    • debugging/logging code removed from system components (system frameworks, init system) to reduce overhead
    • other minor tweaks to system frameworks and ART, to maximize performance
    KERNEL FEATURES
    • updates for zram/zsmalloc (+ zstd compression algorithm instead of lz4) reverted due to regressions
    • power-efficient workqueues are implemented in many drivers
    • simple_lmk by kerneltoast replaces standard LMK
    • Kcal & Klapse
    • maple I/O scheduler as default
    • DDR bandwidth boost when launching apps and other scenarios
    • DriveDroid support (not tested)
    • Wireguard support (not tested)
    • lots patches to improve memory allocation-related overhead
    • USB controller driver updated (MTP speed improvements)
    • memory routines optimized for the arm64 architecture
    • built with -O3 optimizations
    • binder backported from Linux 5.4
    • lots of drivers and components only useful for debugging are disabled
    • many small, miscellaneous patches to improve performance and power consumption
    LineageOS 18.1 features:
    • support for MicroG (signature spoofing) - read the 2nd post!
    • built with the latest Clang 12.0.x
    • updated & improved libraries: sqlite, zlib, libpng, jemalloc, libvpx, libyuv
    • critical system components built with -O3 optimizations (art, SurfaceFlinger, bionic)
    • arm64-optimized bionic routines
    • Android RunTime (ART) updates and improvements
    • several debugging & tracing components are removed from the system
    • partial/full screenshot QS tile
    • reduced priority of the USB connection type & USB debugging notifications
    • in-built F-Droid Privileged Extension
    • removed some links with Google: DNS nameservers & captive portal URL
    • support for OTA updates
    • signed with my own keys
    • other minor tweaks and improvements

BUGS
    Common to official builds as well:
    • VPNs are not supported (can't configure a VPN in Settings) - fixed in my 2022-05-24 build, and in later official nightlies
    • swiping up on the lockscreen is difficult (a very long swipe is required) - fixed/improved in my 2022-05-24 build, and in later official nighlies
    • minimum brightness is too high compared to stock firmware - fixed in my 2022-06-09 build and later official builds
    • HDR+ and Portrait mode make Klik (Essential's camera app) crash
    • bad sound quality in video recordings - fixed in my 2022-08-07 build, soon in officials too
    Specific of my builds:
    • none, at the moment
    Common to official builds as well:
    • unaligned recovery logo + black bar at the right of the screen - fixed in my 2021-12-15 build and newer official builds
    • distorted in-call audio when VoLTE is enabled for T-Mobile users - fixed in my 2022-03-11 build and newer official builds
    • low microphone volume/distorted audio when recording videos
    • PPSSPP crashes on startup
    Specific of my builds:
    • recovery "Back" button is difficult to press - workaround: press a little bit above it - fixed in the 2022-01-07 build
    • speaker misbehaving when listening to voice messages in apps such as Telegram and WhatsApp - fixed in the 2022-02-21 build

CHANGELOG for LineageOS 19.1:
    August 7th:
    • synced with LineageOS + August's security patches
    • "poor audio quality in video recording" bug has been fixed!
    • updates for ART
    • optimizations and improvements for bionic's memory routines
    • F-Droid privileged extension build in the system

June 9th:
    • Rebased on the latest tag from Google (android_12.1.0_r7)
    • June's security patches
    • new ripple effect from ProtonAOSP
    • updated and optimized SQLite library
    • minimum screen brightness reduced
    • minor tweaks to system frameworks and ART

May 24th:
    • initial build, 100% equal to LineageOS except for the following aspects
    • support for signature spoofing
    • some debugging removed from ART
    • device-specific bug fix: improved swipe-to-unlock experience (fix has landed in official repos)
    • device-specific bug fix: VPNs are supported (fix has landed in official repos)

May 6th:
    • May's security patches
    • various kernel updates and fixes

April 28th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • updated SQLite to v3.37.2
    • kernel bug fix involving ZRAM
    • minor kernel tweaks and improvements

April 13th:
    • synced with LineageOS, April's security patches
    • some minor tweaks and fixes in the Android frameworks
    • kernel: binder driver backported from Linux 5.4
    • kernel: simple_lmk replaces the standard LMK
    • kernel: updates for the random number generator driver
    • kernel: other minor fixes and improvements

March 21st:
    • lots of updates and fixes for the platform code (picked from crDroid)
    • critical system components/libraries are built with ThinLTO and PGO
    • improved the energy efficiency of the WiFi chip
    • synced with LineageOS

March 11th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • March's security patches
    • fix for distorted in-call audio for T-Mobile users when VoLTE is enabled

February 21st:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • a fix by the Lineage team for a telephony bug: more info here
    • a fix by me for a permission issue that caused the playback of voice messages in messaging apps not to switch properly between the main and the call speakers when the proximity sensor was covered/uncovered

February 11th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • kernel updated to Linux 4.4.302
    • minor bug fix in the system

January 22nd:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • kernel updated to Linux 4.4.299
    • Google's DNS nameservers have been replaced with Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1)
    • some security hardening patches taken from GrapheneOS

January 7th:
    • kernel: Linux 4.4.297
    • kernel: removed debugging junk from the WiFi chip's driver
    • kernel: patches for the dwc3 driver (improve MTP transfer speeds)
    • tentative fix for the camcorder microphone issues
    • recovery touchscreen issues are fixed
    December 15th:
    • synced w/ LineageOS (incl. December's security patches)
    • kernel updated to Linux 4.4.294
    • lots of small kernel improvements and fixes
    • maple I/O scheduler is now the default
    • several user interface/user experience improvements (read here)
    • alignment of visual elements in recovery is fixed (now also in official LineageOS)
    November 5th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • November's security patches
    • kernel: DriveDroid support
    • kernel: Wireguard support
    • kernel: DDR bandwidth boost on zygote fork
    • kernel: several other small updates and improvements
    October 23rd:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • touchscreen support in Lineage recovery
    • kernel now supports Kcal and Klapse
    October 7th:
    • initial build with all the above features
    • October's security patches are included

DOWNLOADS
    LineageOS 19.1: SourceForge
    19.1 recovery images: SourceForge

LineageOS 18.1: SourceForge
    18.1 recovery images: SourceForge

SOURCES
    All my repos are on Github. In particular: device tree, kernel sources.

A BIG "THANK YOU" TO
    the whole LineageOS team, and the multitude of great developers of the Android custom ROM scene, such as kdrag0n, kerneltoast (Sultanxda), arter97, nathanchance, neobuddy89, flar2, franciscofranco, frap129, the MSM-Xtended project, the crDroid project. I hope I have not forgotten anyone.
    Hello, official LineageOS 19 nightlies will be available for mata in a couple of days circa. I'll start building my 19-based ROM in the next few weeks. Expect the first build to be available before the end of the month :)
    A new build is available. It brings the latest updates from the Lineage code base and an updated kernel (4.4.302).
    I've also prepared a separate kernel that you can optionally flash on top of the new build: https://mega.nz/file/llFiBD7D#6Jsum5lcswtvgMaC6-6hLQYtvGuZLp7YPEybjoFbXT8
    This kernel features more twekas and performance optimizations, mainly related to the task scheduler and the memory management subsystem. All these changes will be included in the next build's kernel.
    New build available! Featuring November's security patches plus several interesting kernel updates and improvements, such as DDR bandwidth boost on app startup (should improve app launching time a bit), memory allocation speed & overhead improvements, Wireguard support and DriveDroid support. I haven't tested Wiregaurd and DriveDroid, so try them if you can and let me know if they work.
    The speakerphone issue is still under investigation, I haven't had enough time to look at it lately.
    A new build is available!
    It brings several updates to the Android frameworks and other internal components (libcore, art, bionic - mostly picked from crDroid), including advanced optimizations (ThinLTO, PGO) applied to some critical system libraries.
    There are also a few device-specific changes, notably some tweaks for the WiFi driver's configuration, which should improve the energy efficiency of the chip.