[ROM][S][mata] Unofficial, optimized LineageOS 19.1 - August 7th

Search This thread

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
Here we are! My first 19.1 build is available :)
It already brings a couple of bug fixes over the official builds (more info in the first post), one of them has already been pushed to our official LineageOS device tree, the other one should be approved soon.
MicroG and OTA Updates are already supported.
Lots of optimizations, tweaks and whatnot are coming in the next weeks.
Happy flashing!

EDIT: the Updater will report an error if you try to check for an update. This is "normal" for now, it'll start working fine when I publish the next update.

Last edited:

temporarium

It already brings a couple of bug fixes over the official builds (more info in the first post), one of them has already been pushed to our official LineageOS device tree, the other one should be approved soon.
Happy flashing!

EDIT: the Updater will report an error if you try to check for an update. This is "normal" for now, it'll start working fine when I publish the next update.
Trying to download today's image and no go. Anyone else? The one from yesterday (5-23) starts to download ok

temporarium

Happy flashing!

Well, surprise, surprise! I did a dirty flash on top of your previous (all-configured) A11 version, and everything seems to work and kept its settings! That's a good start if I don't need to wipe/format data... But will keep testing to make sure.

temporarium

One thing that doesn't work for me is Gravitybox (LSPosed module) - to be expected as there is no A12 version.

The one (only?) reason I use it is for re-mapping the recents key. So, a request:

Please implement re-mapping, not to last app (which is there in the settings already), but to previous active app - ie., if apps are terminated/killed they're not reopened.

temporarium

And then it all went to pieces... I added fingerprint protection and that must have triggered data encryption (I had only swipe on A11). Even though I removed all security settings, TWRP can't decrypt data and system won't boot (probably can't read it either). And my TWRP backups were on that (now undecryptable?) data partition. So, I may have to wipe and start fresh after all 😕

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
One thing that doesn't work for me is Gravitybox (LSPosed module) - to be expected as there is no A12 version.

The one (only?) reason I use it is for re-mapping the recents key. So, a request:

Please implement re-mapping, not to last app (which is there in the settings already), but to previous active app - ie., if apps are terminated/killed they're not reopened.
IF you can point me to a custom ROM (even for another device, not necessarily for mata) that implements this feature out-of-the-box (i.e. without GravityBox)
THEN I might be able to port the feature into my ROM
ELSE it won't come, as it's probably too hard for me to implement it on my own.

And then it all went to pieces... I added fingerprint protection and that must have triggered data encryption (I had only swipe on A11). Even though I removed all security settings, TWRP can't decrypt data and system won't boot (probably can't read it either). And my TWRP backups were on that (now undecryptable?) data partition. So, I may have to wipe and start fresh after all 😕
Not sure about what happened here. TWRP cannot decrypt Android 12's encrypted /data partition, this is a known issue. But I cannot explain why the OS cannot boot.

temporarium

IF you can point me to a custom ROM (even for another device, not necessarily for mata) that implements this feature out-of-the-box (i.e. without GravityBox)
THEN I might be able to port the feature into my ROM
ELSE it won't come, as it's probably too hard for me to implement it on my own.

Not sure about what happened here. TWRP cannot decrypt Android 12's encrypted /data partition, this is a known issue. But I cannot explain why the OS cannot boot.
Right, well I recovered by sideloading the ROM, etc.

It works, but I do miss the TWRP access to data (for backups, etc.) that was there with A10 & A11. Android really is becoming less and less usable with each new release 🙄

surya17

May 25, 2014
Amazing to still see support for this cool old phone. Did anyone encounter the loudspeaker low mic volume bug on this ROM? On the official lineage 19.1, it's apparently still present!

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
Amazing to still see support for this cool old phone. Did anyone encounter the loudspeaker low mic volume bug on this ROM? On the official lineage 19.1, it's apparently still present!
Low? Do you mean loud? A known issue of LineageOS for mata (and other devices) is that the loudspeaker, during calls, has got a very loud volume and it cannot be adjusted. This issue is present in my builds as well, at the moment, but I will look into it soon.

surya17

May 25, 2014
Low? Do you mean loud? A known issue of LineageOS for mata (and other devices) is that the loudspeaker, during calls, has got a very loud volume and it cannot be adjusted. This issue is present in my builds as well, at the moment, but I will look into it soon.
That also may be an issue, but I meant that people on the other side couldn't hear you well (or even not at all hear you) when on loudspeaker for regular calls/ WhatsApp video calls. This was also a known issue.

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
That also may be an issue, but I meant that people on the other side couldn't hear you well (or even not at all hear you) when on loudspeaker for regular calls/ WhatsApp video calls. This was also a known issue.
That microphone issue should be fixed. Please try and let me know, if you can. I'll be glad to look into it again if you still face it.

Reactions: surya17

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
OnePlus One
Essential Phone
I've uploaded a new build, with June's security patches; a new ripple effect that can be seen when tapping on button, menu entries, etc.; an updated and optimized SQLite library, for improved database management performance; and a few minor tweaks in the Android RunTime.
This build is the last one featuring LineageOS's default kernel: starting from the next one, my kernel will be bundled.
The new build is not available via OTA yet. It's on SourceForge, but I'll make it available via OTA tomorrow, because I can't do so right now.

temporarium

I've uploaded a new build, with June's security patches; a new ripple effect that can be seen when tapping on button, menu entries, etc.; an updated and optimized SQLite library, for improved database management performance; and a few minor tweaks in the Android RunTime.
This build is the last one featuring LineageOS's default kernel: starting from the next one, my kernel will be bundled.
The new build is not available via OTA yet. It's on SourceForge, but I'll make it available via OTA tomorrow, because I can't do so right now.
Will check it out in the next few days 👍🏻

surya17

May 25, 2014
@Tomoms I'm coming from official Q (Jan build). I just installed LOS recovery, and was about to format the phone before installing your build. I just saw that it would wipe internal storage as well. Is there no way to factory reset just the system without internal? Maybe I can use twrp, which has system-only reset to install the your LOS ROM? I was on TWRP recovery before LOS, which worked perfectly for me to install magisk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I've just realized July's build was never made available via OTA, sorry!
    Anyway, I've released a new build with lots of interesting stuff (mainly optimizations for bionic's routines). And it's of course available via OTA. Enjoy!

EDIT: and very importantly, today's build contains a workaround for the long-standing issue of bad audio quality in video recordings :) I'm working to refine the workaround and turn it into a proper fix that can be pushed to official LineageOS as well.
    In this thread I'll share with you my personal builds of LineageOS 19.1 and 18.1 for the Essential PH-1 (codename: mata). These builds are unofficial LineageOS builds, customized with my favorite tweaks and features, and with some interesting optimizations.

MAIN FEATURES
    LineageOS 19.1 features:
    • support for MicroG (signature spoofing) - read the 2nd post!
    • some debugging/tracing instructions have been removed from ART
    • some UI changes from ProtonAOSP (ripple effect)
    • updates and compiler optimizations applied to critical system components (ART, memory management routines, mathematical routines)
    • bionic libc fixes and updates
    • updated 3rd-party libraries: SQLite, giflib, zlib
    • inbuilt F-Droid privileged extension
    • debugging/logging code removed from system components (system frameworks, init system) to reduce overhead
    • other minor tweaks to system frameworks and ART, to maximize performance
    KERNEL FEATURES
    • updates for zram/zsmalloc (+ zstd compression algorithm instead of lz4) reverted due to regressions
    • power-efficient workqueues are implemented in many drivers
    • simple_lmk by kerneltoast replaces standard LMK
    • Kcal & Klapse
    • maple I/O scheduler as default
    • DDR bandwidth boost when launching apps and other scenarios
    • DriveDroid support (not tested)
    • Wireguard support (not tested)
    • lots patches to improve memory allocation-related overhead
    • USB controller driver updated (MTP speed improvements)
    • memory routines optimized for the arm64 architecture
    • built with -O3 optimizations
    • binder backported from Linux 5.4
    • lots of drivers and components only useful for debugging are disabled
    • many small, miscellaneous patches to improve performance and power consumption
    LineageOS 18.1 features:
    • support for MicroG (signature spoofing) - read the 2nd post!
    • built with the latest Clang 12.0.x
    • updated & improved libraries: sqlite, zlib, libpng, jemalloc, libvpx, libyuv
    • critical system components built with -O3 optimizations (art, SurfaceFlinger, bionic)
    • arm64-optimized bionic routines
    • Android RunTime (ART) updates and improvements
    • several debugging & tracing components are removed from the system
    • partial/full screenshot QS tile
    • reduced priority of the USB connection type & USB debugging notifications
    • in-built F-Droid Privileged Extension
    • removed some links with Google: DNS nameservers & captive portal URL
    • support for OTA updates
    • signed with my own keys
    • other minor tweaks and improvements

BUGS
    Common to official builds as well:
    • VPNs are not supported (can't configure a VPN in Settings) - fixed in my 2022-05-24 build, and in later official nightlies
    • swiping up on the lockscreen is difficult (a very long swipe is required) - fixed/improved in my 2022-05-24 build, and in later official nighlies
    • minimum brightness is too high compared to stock firmware - fixed in my 2022-06-09 build and later official builds
    • HDR+ and Portrait mode make Klik (Essential's camera app) crash
    • bad sound quality in video recordings - fixed in my 2022-08-07 build, soon in officials too
    Specific of my builds:
    • none, at the moment
    Common to official builds as well:
    • unaligned recovery logo + black bar at the right of the screen - fixed in my 2021-12-15 build and newer official builds
    • distorted in-call audio when VoLTE is enabled for T-Mobile users - fixed in my 2022-03-11 build and newer official builds
    • low microphone volume/distorted audio when recording videos
    • PPSSPP crashes on startup
    Specific of my builds:
    • recovery "Back" button is difficult to press - workaround: press a little bit above it - fixed in the 2022-01-07 build
    • speaker misbehaving when listening to voice messages in apps such as Telegram and WhatsApp - fixed in the 2022-02-21 build

CHANGELOG for LineageOS 19.1:
    August 7th:
    • synced with LineageOS + August's security patches
    • "poor audio quality in video recording" bug has been fixed!
    • updates for ART
    • optimizations and improvements for bionic's memory routines
    • F-Droid privileged extension build in the system

June 9th:
    • Rebased on the latest tag from Google (android_12.1.0_r7)
    • June's security patches
    • new ripple effect from ProtonAOSP
    • updated and optimized SQLite library
    • minimum screen brightness reduced
    • minor tweaks to system frameworks and ART

May 24th:
    • initial build, 100% equal to LineageOS except for the following aspects
    • support for signature spoofing
    • some debugging removed from ART
    • device-specific bug fix: improved swipe-to-unlock experience (fix has landed in official repos)
    • device-specific bug fix: VPNs are supported (fix has landed in official repos)

May 6th:
    • May's security patches
    • various kernel updates and fixes

April 28th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • updated SQLite to v3.37.2
    • kernel bug fix involving ZRAM
    • minor kernel tweaks and improvements

April 13th:
    • synced with LineageOS, April's security patches
    • some minor tweaks and fixes in the Android frameworks
    • kernel: binder driver backported from Linux 5.4
    • kernel: simple_lmk replaces the standard LMK
    • kernel: updates for the random number generator driver
    • kernel: other minor fixes and improvements

March 21st:
    • lots of updates and fixes for the platform code (picked from crDroid)
    • critical system components/libraries are built with ThinLTO and PGO
    • improved the energy efficiency of the WiFi chip
    • synced with LineageOS

March 11th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • March's security patches
    • fix for distorted in-call audio for T-Mobile users when VoLTE is enabled

February 21st:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • a fix by the Lineage team for a telephony bug: more info here
    • a fix by me for a permission issue that caused the playback of voice messages in messaging apps not to switch properly between the main and the call speakers when the proximity sensor was covered/uncovered

February 11th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • kernel updated to Linux 4.4.302
    • minor bug fix in the system

January 22nd:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • kernel updated to Linux 4.4.299
    • Google's DNS nameservers have been replaced with Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1)
    • some security hardening patches taken from GrapheneOS

January 7th:
    • kernel: Linux 4.4.297
    • kernel: removed debugging junk from the WiFi chip's driver
    • kernel: patches for the dwc3 driver (improve MTP transfer speeds)
    • tentative fix for the camcorder microphone issues
    • recovery touchscreen issues are fixed
    December 15th:
    • synced w/ LineageOS (incl. December's security patches)
    • kernel updated to Linux 4.4.294
    • lots of small kernel improvements and fixes
    • maple I/O scheduler is now the default
    • several user interface/user experience improvements (read here)
    • alignment of visual elements in recovery is fixed (now also in official LineageOS)
    November 5th:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • November's security patches
    • kernel: DriveDroid support
    • kernel: Wireguard support
    • kernel: DDR bandwidth boost on zygote fork
    • kernel: several other small updates and improvements
    October 23rd:
    • synced with LineageOS
    • touchscreen support in Lineage recovery
    • kernel now supports Kcal and Klapse
    October 7th:
    • initial build with all the above features
    • October's security patches are included

DOWNLOADS
    LineageOS 19.1: SourceForge
    19.1 recovery images: SourceForge

LineageOS 18.1: SourceForge
    18.1 recovery images: SourceForge

SOURCES
    All my repos are on Github. In particular: device tree, kernel sources.

A BIG "THANK YOU" TO
    the whole LineageOS team, and the multitude of great developers of the Android custom ROM scene, such as kdrag0n, kerneltoast (Sultanxda), arter97, nathanchance, neobuddy89, flar2, franciscofranco, frap129, the MSM-Xtended project, the crDroid project. I hope I have not forgotten anyone.
    Hello, official LineageOS 19 nightlies will be available for mata in a couple of days circa. I'll start building my 19-based ROM in the next few weeks. Expect the first build to be available before the end of the month :)
    A new build is available. It brings the latest updates from the Lineage code base and an updated kernel (4.4.302).
    I've also prepared a separate kernel that you can optionally flash on top of the new build: https://mega.nz/file/llFiBD7D#6Jsum5lcswtvgMaC6-6hLQYtvGuZLp7YPEybjoFbXT8
    This kernel features more twekas and performance optimizations, mainly related to the task scheduler and the memory management subsystem. All these changes will be included in the next build's kernel.
    New build available! Featuring November's security patches plus several interesting kernel updates and improvements, such as DDR bandwidth boost on app startup (should improve app launching time a bit), memory allocation speed & overhead improvements, Wireguard support and DriveDroid support. I haven't tested Wiregaurd and DriveDroid, so try them if you can and let me know if they work.
    The speakerphone issue is still under investigation, I haven't had enough time to look at it lately.
    A new build is available!
    It brings several updates to the Android frameworks and other internal components (libcore, art, bionic - mostly picked from crDroid), including advanced optimizations (ThinLTO, PGO) applied to some critical system libraries.
    There are also a few device-specific changes, notably some tweaks for the WiFi driver's configuration, which should improve the energy efficiency of the chip.