Tried it again. I had assumed it would work right out of the box, but I had to download the desired input languages first. After that it worked and I cut the internet access again.
Thanks for writing this out, was enough to convince me to switch over from lineageOS with gapps.I managed to finally restore my WhatsApp messages. If you have a spare device handy it helps, I'll assume in my instructions that you do and this device has WhatsApp with all your data on.
On the spare device:
On the new device with iodé:
- Open WhatsApp -> Settings -> Chats -> Chat Backup
- Make sure "Back up to Google Drive" is set to "Never"
- Then click "Back Up"
- This will then save a local backup to the root of your device (well the main user folder)
- Navigate to your root/user folder and compress the WhatsApp folder. It should contain 3 folders within it: Backups, Databases, Media.
- Download Airdroid (or something similar, but this worked best for me) and start a web session.
Hope this helps!
- Go to the Local IP Address displayed in Airdroid (or equivalent)
- Download the .zip file you created.
- Unzip this file into the root/user folder that you found it on the spare device.
- DOUBLE CHECK: That the folder structure is the same as on the spare device:
- Install WhatsApp from the Aurora Store (or whereever you prefer)
- You should then be prompted to "Restore Backup" after the SMS/Phone verification in the process.
p.s. Use Signal rather than WhatsApp if you're interested in even more privacy. The hard part is getting others to use it.
Great Rom, I am using it since 2 hours.
One important note:
Your installation guide has some mistakes(at least for unlocked phones )
You do not tell which recovery should be used. Also that you need the recovery image and the file vbmeta .img.
The TWRP xda page instructions for Heimdall Linux helped me: