• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] [S9/S9+] ArrowOS 11.0 | OFFICIAL [Android 11] [OTA] [WEEKLY]

Search This thread

testerS4

Mar 7, 2019
Is there also a lean version of the GApps than the 1 GB download offered here?
(sorry for engl ... I use translators)
Device: G960F (starlte)
TWRP: 3.5.0.9-1

king1990

Oct 13, 2012
Is there a way to enable Night Light in this ROM?
Native support is broken for our device , there are some apps that can do similar thing

Is there also a lean version of the GApps than the 1 GB download offered here?
(sorry for engl ... I use translators)
Device: G960F (starlte)
TWRP: 3.5.0.9-1
No, this the only gapps version available , Personally I'm using vanilla version + opengapps nano

Reactions: testerS4

gnarf49

Jan 21, 2013
Hi Dev, thanks very much for this ROM!
I moved here after mucking up my install of last official Lineage 17.1 MicroG and like it very much so far. Things are working, battery life seems good.

Two observations/minor problems, maybe someone already found a way to get these working:
1. MicroG setup: With MicroG installed using the Magisk installer on top of the Vanilla edition, the register-with-Google feature does not start automatically after reboot. Means e.g. Signal messenger does not use Google push but starts its own.
For some reason the Magisk MicroG installer comes without network location providers. I installed Mozilla and Nominatim from FDroid and registered with MicroG, but still the phone needs GPS fix for location.
2. Not sure if caused by Android 11 or the ROM: Apps like Nextcloud's auto-upload feature have no access to the /Android/data/xyz folders of other apps anymore. Root explorer is needed. In Lineage 17.1/Android 10 apps this was working from standard apps.

Cheers,
Georg

basarix

Dec 27, 2012
Silly question.. I've lazied out and haven't upgraded my S9's OS since android 8.0.... what'd be the best/fastest course of action to get it up to date to get ArrowOs 11 installed on it safely without bricking it?

themooleman

Dec 5, 2013
Silly question.. I've lazied out and haven't upgraded my S9's OS since android 8.0.... what'd be the best/fastest course of action to get it up to date to get ArrowOs 11 installed on it safely without bricking it?
I would suggest the following course of action:

1. Download the latest version of your device's firmware (be careful to double check that you have the correct model number and CSC) either from Sammobile (https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/) or by using Samloader (https://technastic.com/samloader-samsung-firmware-download-tool/).

2. Flash Firmware using ODIN (or Heimdall if you're feeling brave)

3. Now that you're on the latest firmware follow the following guide to disable encryption and flash TWRP:

4. Flash ArrowOS.

5. Enjoy.

PS: I used Samloader to download my firmware. It's a little bit more fiddly but the download speeds are SO much faster I figure it's worthwhile. Sammobile throttles download speeds massively unless you have a paid subscription.

noahthedominator

Feb 9, 2013
Flashed Vanilla build today. Was on a previous community build without OTAs.
Lost magisk upon install but im encrypted so kind of expected that. Pointed magisk to my recovery image to patch. Then went into recovery and TWRP 3.3.1.1 was unable to decrypt data using pattern.
However magisk zip was able to install just fine.

Up and running on latest vanilla build with encryption and root.:cowboy:

Reactions: detlev24

noahthedominator

Feb 9, 2013
Could you please specify the exact steps you followed for an update with encrypted /data and Magisk installed? THX!

====
In case somebody is looking for the Android 11 OpenGApps: https://sourceforge.net/projects/opengapps/files/arm64/te

1. I started on an unencrypted verson of Lineage OS 18.
  2. Obviously gotta have TWRP, unlocked bootloader, etc.
  3. From there I flashed the latest modem and vbootloader from Alexis on XDA.
    1. https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693803443 (s9+, find a diff link for s9)
  4. Next I flashed Arrow OS vanilla and magisk in TWRP.
  5. Once i setup my phone how i liked i ran encryption from settings.
  6. Doing this broke magisk but i was able to fix it in the magisk app using the direct install/update.
I am not sure if this is the 100 percent correct order but it worked for me. After I installed the latest version of arrow, I did lose magisk but was able to fix it again. I think this is just the nature of encryption and magisk with teh android bootloader/ramdisk.

Where you run into issues is if the encryption doesn't work. On the unofficial build of Lineage OS18 this is exactly what happened. Phone couldn't boot after encrpytion and I had to start all over. Arrow OS seems to have no problem with encryption.

detlev24

Jun 5, 2008
[...] Where you run into issues is if the encryption doesn't work. On the unofficial build of Lineage OS18 this is exactly what happened. Phone couldn't boot after encrpytion and I had to start all over. Arrow OS seems to have no problem with encryption.
Thank you! I ran into issues, i.e., I tried OTA update with encryption... However, this is how I clean flash(ed):

1) updated TWRP to, currently, version 3.5.2_9-0
2) wiped everything [I know, not recommended]: Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Vendor, ODM, Cache, Data, Internal Storage, Preload
3) installed @_alexndr's ROM and BL to, currently, these releases [ edit: enforcing my required CSC via modified 'options.prop' file ]
4) wiped: Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Cache, Data, Internal Storage
5) installed: previous ArrowOS Official (VANILLA), OpenGApps pico (currently, version 20210130), Magisk (v23.0, renamed *.apk -> *.zip)
6) ran encryption within ArrowOS successfully and used the phone for a while

...but then received OTA update information, tried to flash it, got stuck at boot and could not rescue it; hence had to start all over. :poop:

I guess I will set-up the device completely now, back it up in TWRP and only then run encryption.

====
So far I encountered the following anomalies. First, I cannot get "swipe" gestures to work on AOSP keyboard [ "/system/lib64/libjni_latinimegoogle.so" is present] and second, I have to manually re-select the alarm tone in the clock app which I preselected for system-wide use; as otherwise no alarm will sound (maybe incorrect link to file?).

Last edited:

noahthedominator

Feb 9, 2013
Thank you! I ran into issues, i.e., I tried OTA update with encryption... However, this is how I clean flash(ed):

1) updated TWRP to, currently, version 3.5.2_9-0
2) wiped everything [I know, not recommended]: Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Vendor, ODM, Cache, Data, Internal Storage, Preload
3) installed @_alexndr's ROM and BL to, currently, these releases [ edit: enforcing my required CSC via modified 'options.prop' file ]
4) wiped: Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Cache, Data, Internal Storage
5) installed: previous ArrowOS Official (VANILLA), OpenGApps pico (currently, version 20210130), Magisk (v23.0, renamed *.apk -> *.zip)
6) ran encryption within ArrowOS successfully and used the phone for a while

...but then received OTA update information, tried to flash it, got stuck at boot and could not rescue it; hence had to start all over. :poop:

I guess I will set-up the device completely now, back it up in TWRP and only then run encryption.

====
So far I encountered the following anomalies. First, I cannot get "swipe" gestures to work on AOSP keyboard [ "/system/lib64/libjni_latinimegoogle.so" is present] and second, I have to manually re-select the alarm tone in the clock app which I preselected for system-wide use; as otherwise no alarm will sound (maybe incorrect link to file?).
I would get to latest Arrow os release and they once you are there run encryption. Wait until everything is setup how you would want then run it. Keep in mind this is going to break root. - its how encryption and the android bootloader work with magisk.

Open magisk, point it at your twrp/recovovery image. Run the installer. Then flash magisk zip from twrp and root should be back with encryption.

As for swipe, it doesn't work for me either on the AOSP keyboard.

Phone hot? Sounds like a gapps issue. I run this rom with zero google apps and have had pretty much no issues. Voicemail works, texting, calling, encryption, camera, bluetooth, etc. Its time to ditch google and go with FOSS apps.

pantsuloli

Feb 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S9
Installed this ROM, so far is nice, but I have a problem, how to make SD Card to be phone storage? I try with twrp recovery for change file system micro SD to F2FS, but after change file system, i got SD Card issue, SD Card just allow to be portable storage, not phone storage :confused:.
Anyone can help me with this issue?
Sorry for my bad English.

*Edited: got another issue, NFC didn't work, i can't scan my card using NFC.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you very much for your work.

However, I just tried to install it on a brand new S9 plus Duos, and this ended in a boot loop (reboots about every 5 seconds). This is what I did:

- Samsung SM-G965F/DS (S9 plus Duos, Exynos version)

- Activated developer options (from with stock O/S)

- Unlocked bootloader (from within developer options in stock O/S)

- Installed TWRP 3.5.2, using ODIN (works flawlessly)

- Got ArrowOS with GMAPS for star2lte from here (file name Arrow-v11.0-star2lte-OFFICIAL-20210620-GAPPS.zip)

- Put the .zip file onto a microSD card, switched off the phone, inserted the microSD card into the phone

- Booted into TWRP

- Went into "Wipe -> Advanced", ticked everything except the SD card and the USB to go (no USB device was attached, and we obviously can't wipe the SD card if I want to install something from it), and performed the wipe (worked flawlessly)

- Went into "Install", selected the microSD card as source and installed the Arrow OS zip (worked flawlessly)

- Let TWRP reboot the phone

Now I have a boot loop. As soon as I try to boot into the O/S, either from within TWRP or directly, the phone reboots after roughly five seconds. The only thing I can do is to boot into TWRP again.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance!

Don't wipe the vendor.

Flash stock vendor again and you will able to boot also remember to format data if encrypted
    OK, after having played around some minutes, I've got a few questions:

- What about the DuckDuckGo app? How do I uninstall it?

- In the left lower corner of the home screen, there is an icon which probably is linked to some Google services. How do I remove this icon? I will never start the Play Store on that phone (apart from that, Google Play Store and Play Services are constantly crashing all the time. This probably happens because I have have removed permissions for them as far as possible).

If you don't need google services you should install the vanilla version instead of gapps one.

Reboot , wipe system , data , cache then flash the vanilla version.

For duckduckgo you can go to app settings and disable it from there.
    Thank you very much again! I had already done that, but had forgotten to wipe the system, data and cache. Using your instructions, it works now - no more Google traces.

Thank you for your time and expertise!
    Is it just me or is there no way to move the clock in the statusbar? Also no quick pulldown for the quick settings menu? The rom is very fluid so far, but I feel that it lacks some customization
    I noticed it too. Use GravityBox and Lsposed.

GravityBox
    Lsposed
    logo.png

ArrowOS

ABOUT
    ArrowOS
    is an AOSP/CAF based project started with the aim of keeping things simple, clean and neat.

Telegram: Channel | TG Portal/Links
    Github: https://github.com/ArrowOS
    Code Review: review.arrowos.net
    E-mail: arrowos.contact
    PayPal: Donate to us
    Blog: blog.arrowos.net

Checkout more documentation at (maintainership/contributing): Check this out

WHAT WORKS?
    • Almost everything

WHAT DOESN'T WORK?
    • Volte, Wifi Calling and other samsung proprietary apps
    Be sure to include a log : check how to

DOWNLOADS

SUPPORT GROUP
    Telegram

Read our blog article/post about:
    * HOW-TO report a bug
    * GAPPS and VANILLA variants
    * Checking build integrity

ROM Source: https://github.com/ArrowOS
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/ArrowOS-Devices/android_kernel_samsung_universal9810

CREDITS
    ArrowOS Team for the rom sources
    @Synt4x.93 for his amazing work and support for S9/S9+/N9
    Builds are official now and can be downloaded from arrow website.
    • Official builds can be dirty flashed over community builds.
    • Official builds have OTA support.
    OTA is live with june security update. Happy flashing
    Community builds are live

About "community" builds , these are official builds hosted on arrowos servers they only miss OTA updater. After a while these builds will become "official" with the updater.

There are two variants for each device a Vanilla (no gapps) and Gapps.

Nikkgapps is no longer recommend, if you are one my previous build and flashed nikkgapps , DON'T UPDATE until you do the following

* First Backup your data
    * Wipe system
    * Flash your current build of the ROM
    * Flash open gapps
    * Reboot
    * If everything is okay , dirty flash rom update. Otherwise clean flash.

Opengapps is recommended one for vanilla builds

Gapps builds should be cleaned flashed to avoid any issues only for the first time , later on you can dirty flash.

If you are coming from another ROM always clean flash.
    Regarding ROM updates :
    * Community Builds will receive 2-3 updates weekly.
    * You don't have to update every time , update whenever you want.
    * Any update can be be dirty flashed , no need to flash every update.
    * Community builds will become official after some time and will have OTA support
    * Check the download link for latest version https://arrowos.net/download