• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][21-03-2021]

Search This thread

Vurnality

Aug 15, 2019
Hi,

My fingerprint scanner suddenly stopped working
I've changed fingerprint with the props thing for valid safetynet check maybe that's something to do with IT?

If i try to remove old fingerprints but IT delete 2 other 2 wont delete and get grayed out until i reopen fingerprint settings.

When i try use fingerprint on apps IT doesn't do anything and for unlocking it resets lockscreen but wont unlock i included screens

Its dutch but when adding IT instantly says fingerprint registration not complete try again or use another finger

PS: i fixed IT by removing pincode(IT delete fingerprints as well then) set new pincode and added new fingers so i think its a bug in the build)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-015421_Instellingen.png
    Screenshot_20210706-015421_Instellingen.png
    94 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210706-015301_Instellingen.png
    Screenshot_20210706-015301_Instellingen.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 21

esko1one

Jun 3, 2010
Hannover
possibly not related to this rom but ill ask anyway. i built the user version of this for my starlte aka s9 and everything seems to be working except i cant use twrp properly anymore because i cant decrypt my data partition. the password is 100% correct. i tried a few different twrp versions so far but no luck.

it always stop with the msg "E: Decrypt took too long, killing process. Failed to decrypt data."

is this a know issue? i got this phone second hand and quite like it but not being unable to use twrp is kinda annoying. i was going to use it to flash magisk and some other things.

perhaps im missing something?

Tom1369

Nov 13, 2019
Munich
possibly not related to this rom but ill ask anyway. i built the user version of this for my starlte aka s9 and everything seems to be working except i cant use twrp properly anymore because i cant decrypt my data partition. the password is 100% correct. i tried a few different twrp versions so far but no luck.

it always stop with the msg "E: Decrypt took too long, killing process. Failed to decrypt data."

is this a know issue? i got this phone second hand and quite like it but not being unable to use twrp is kinda annoying. i was going to use it to flash magisk and some other things.

perhaps im missing something?
I think this is a know issue, which affects all Android versions since Android 9 (?). In fact, I had it on LOS 17.1, IODE 1.2 and LOS 18.1 all of them running Android 10 firmware. I still have the most recent TWRP installed and use it for flashing. But I cannot use TWRP to access (or backup) the encrypted /data partition. :(

Either you prevent encryption of your /data partition at all (by manipulating the fstab of your firmware or by flashing a corresponding image before the data partition is encrypted) or you use a different approach for backups.

Regards
Tom

esko1one

Jun 3, 2010
Hannover
I think this is a know issue, which affects all Android versions since Android 9 (?). In fact, I had it on LOS 17.1, IODE 1.2 and LOS 18.1 all of them running Android 10 firmware. I still have the most recent TWRP installed and use it for flashing. But I cannot use TWRP to access (or backup) the encrypted /data partition. :(

Either you prevent encryption of your /data partition at all (by manipulating the fstab of your firmware or by flashing a corresponding image before the data partition is encrypted) or you use a different approach for backups.

Regards
Tom
i wasnt aware of that, ty for the explanation.

what happens if i flash magisk before i encrypt my data partition and encrypt it afterwards? will i be able to still use it to flash other zips? by manipulating the fstab, u mean it disables encryption altogether or only for the purpose of twrp?

Khalil777

Jul 22, 2015
Cape Town
Samsung Galaxy S9+
lineage-18.1-20210707-UNOFFICIAL-star2lte:
(June security update)
https://github.com/Geoknyda/OTA/releases/tag/star2lte
Hi, i want to install this on my s9+, i am currently on stock android OneUI 2.5.
I have downloaded all the files i need, my only question is does it matter if i flash the dm-verity file before flashing magisk V23.0?
I will update you on how this ROM performs, i'm very excited, the last phone i flashed was an s7 edge a few years back...hehe

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][Weekly]

All credit still goes to Synt4x.93 for the development and hosting of local_manifests that make this possible. I am just starting the thread to make it easier for S9/S9+ owners to find the Weekly builds.

Any help getting the kernel updated would be greatly appreciated! I got a version uploaded there with Synt4x's Lineage-18.1 branch of the kernel, which is version 4.9.218, but I don't know how to further upgrade it. I'm sure the community would appreciate your help in this regard and your name will certainly go on the list of contributors!

Last edited:

Khalil777

Jul 22, 2015
Cape Town
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Thank you, I'll install, test and give you feedback

EDIT:

So far so good, everything I use seems to work perfectly. Thank you once again for the update.
Hi can you maybe assist me on how you did your installation? i was on stock OneUI 2.5, i tried flashing the star2lte of los 18.1 and NikkGapps with magisk V23.0 and everything installed successfully, when i then rebooted into system it went straight into download mode and just stays there all the time.

edit: managed to get it working, formatting was the solution thanks.
BTW Loving this rom! been using it all day for 2 days and have found NO issues. Thanks a lot for this ROM :)

Last edited:

Tom1369

Nov 13, 2019
Munich
i wasnt aware of that, ty for the explanation.

what happens if i flash magisk before i encrypt my data partition and encrypt it afterwards? will i be able to still use it to flash other zips? by manipulating the fstab, u mean it disables encryption altogether or only for the purpose of twrp?
1) Magisk

Magisk and encryption of the /data partition are independent of each other and do not rule out each other. I am running an S9 with both encrypted /data partition and Magisk. No problems.

2) fstab

When the encryption is disabled, it is disabled for every application, TWRP and all other Apps. This is the reason, why I do not have encryption disabled on my S9. Nevertheless, if you are interested in tweaking the vendor image in order to disable encryption in the fstab, here is the guideline I found somewhere and adapted for my needs:

Remove enforced encryption from Vendor image​

For those who want to get rid of forced encryption i'm gonna explain what i did to modify the vendor.img:​
  1. I downloaded the most updated firmware for my device and decryted it using samfirm.​
  2. From the "AP_*" file I extracted the "vendor.img.lz4".​
  3. Then I used lz4 to convert it to vendor.img (lz4 -d vendor.img.lz4 vendor.img).​
  4. After that, I used simg2img to convert that vendor.img into vendor_raw.img that can be mounted in linux (simg2img vendor.img vendor_raw.img).​
  5. Then I mounted that img file in a folder and I went to etc folder and edited "fstab.samsungexynos9810" file using a text editor with root priviledges. I changed the next line:​
/dev/block/platform/11120000.ufs/by-name/USERDATA /data ext4 noatime,nosuid,nodev,noauto_da_alloc,discard,journal_checksum,data=ordered,errors=panic wait,check,forceencrypt=footer,quota,reservedsize=128M,length=-20480
for no encryption to

/dev/block/platform/11120000.ufs/by-name/USERDATA /data ext4 noatime,nosuid,nodev,noauto_da_alloc,discard,journal_checksum,data=ordered,errors=panic wait,check,quota,reservedsize=128M,length=-20480

for optional encryption to

/dev/block/platform/11120000.ufs/by-name/USERDATA /data ext4 noatime,nosuid,nodev,noauto_da_alloc,discard,journal_checksum,data=ordered,errors=panic wait,check,encryptable=footer,quota,reservedsize=128M,length=-20480
  1. Then I saved the file and unmount the vendor_raw.img.​
  2. After that I flashed the lastest stock firmware in odin making sure that the auto reboot is unchecked (or heimdall under linux)​
  3. Then I flashed twrp and booted straight to twrp.​
  4. Flashed the img vendor_raw.img into vendor.​
  5. Then I flashed the last official lineage os, gapps, magisk and thats all.​
All working fine.
There also seem to be some no-verity-opt-encrypt images available that are said to reach the same effect when flashed, however, those that I tried on my S9 did not do the trick, while the aforementioned procedure did work (although I do not use it anymore).

Regards
Tom

Reactions: esko1one

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Can someone please help me get started on updating kernels?
The current kernel progression for this build is 4.9.118 -> 4.9.218.

I would greatly appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction to continue updating the kernel. If possible I would prefer using the github web-based repos (like the links shared above) and simply updating the kernel branch in my local_manifests/roomservice.xml to the most recent branch for merging with Lineage framework during the repo force sync. Can I do this by merging some official Linux kernel like 4.9.y with a new branch in my github repo? Can I pick and choose which changes are made?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some advice!

Last edited:

esko1one

Jun 3, 2010
Hannover
1) Magisk

Magisk and encryption of the /data partition are independent of each other and do not rule out each other. I am running an S9 with both encrypted /data partition and Magisk. No problems.

2) fstab

When the encryption is disabled, it is disabled for every application, TWRP and all other Apps. This is the reason, why I do not have encryption disabled on my S9. Nevertheless, if you are interested in tweaking the vendor image in order to disable encryption in the fstab, here is the guideline I found somewhere and adapted for my needs:

There also seem to be some no-verity-opt-encrypt images available that are said to reach the same effect when flashed, however, those that I tried on my S9 did not do the trick, while the aforementioned procedure did work (although I do not use it anymore).

Regards
Tom
thank you for the in-depth explanation.

i tried encrypting my phone with magisk on it and had some funky behaviour. the phone was constantly restarting every few minutes. might have been a magisk module though, but i lost track and didnt bother with it anymore, as i was already building a new build with with signature spoofing to use with microg.

so if i understood you right, i only loose the ability to use twrp properly because it cant decrypt the data partition. everything else should work as expected. that should be fine since i can use magisk to flash zips.

esko1one

Jun 3, 2010
Hannover
Can someone please help me get started on updating kernels?
The current kernel progression for this build is 4.9.118 -> 4.9.218.

I would greatly appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction to continue updating the kernel. If possible I would prefer using the github web-based repos (like the links shared above) and simply updating the kernel branch in my local_manifests/roomservice.xml to the most recent branch for merging with Lineage framework during the repo force sync. Can I do this by merging some official Linux kernel like 4.9.y with a new branch in my github repo? Can I pick and choose which changes are made?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some advice!

from the github you linked:
INSTALLING the kernel source:

- If you install the full sources, put the kernel tarball in a
directory where you have permissions (e.g. your home directory) and
unpack it:

xz -cd linux-4.X.tar.xz | tar xvf -

Replace "X" with the version number of the latest kernel.

Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
files. They should match the library, and not get messed up by
whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be.

- You can also upgrade between 4.x releases by patching. Patches are
distributed in the xz format. To install by patching, get all the
newer patch files, enter the top level directory of the kernel source
(linux-4.X) and execute:

xz -cd ../patch-4.x.xz | patch -p1

Replace "x" for all versions bigger than the version "X" of your current
source tree, _in_order_, and you should be ok. You may want to remove
the backup files (some-file-name~ or some-file-name.orig), and make sure
that there are no failed patches (some-file-name# or some-file-name.rej).
If there are, either you or I have made a mistake.

Unlike patches for the 4.x kernels, patches for the 4.x.y kernels
(also known as the -stable kernels) are not incremental but instead apply
directly to the base 4.x kernel. For example, if your base kernel is 4.0
and you want to apply the 4.0.3 patch, you must not first apply the 4.0.1
and 4.0.2 patches. Similarly, if you are running kernel version 4.0.2 and
want to jump to 4.0.3, you must first reverse the 4.0.2 patch (that is,
patch -R) _before_ applying the 4.0.3 patch. You can read more on this in
Documentation/applying-patches.txt

Alternatively, the script patch-kernel can be used to automate this
process. It determines the current kernel version and applies any
patches found.

linux/scripts/patch-kernel linux

The first argument in the command above is the location of the
kernel source. Patches are applied from the current directory, but
an alternative directory can be specified as the second argument.

- Make sure you have no stale .o files and dependencies lying around:

cd linux
make mrproper

You should now have the sources correctly installed.
just a disclaimer, i have no idea how this works but i assume this should get you started?

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
from the github you linked:

just a disclaimer, i have no idea how this works but i assume this should get you started?

Thanks for the info! I already learned a little bit about updating the kernel locally on my computer from the instructions you linked to!

I tried downloading the 4.9.218 kernel but it only downloads as a zip file and has the same hierarchy as shown in the online github repo; there's no option I can see that allows me to download it as a tarball per the instructions :(

What would seem easier, if at all possible, would be being able to compare 4.9.218 directly to a newer kernel using the online web-based github repos, cherry-picking the updates, and merging them into a new branch. Then I would update my local_manifests/roomservice.xml to point the kernel project to the new branch.

So I guess I am looking for:
1) How to compare and merge web-based github repos, and
2) An appropriate kernel to cherry-pick updates from and then merge into a new branch of 4.9.218

I found this kernel, which seems pretty active and up-to-date. Maybe it's the kernel I am looking for?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Stock Samsung Oneui 2 - 2.5 (Android 10) Firmware. (Bootloader + Vendor)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Lineage Recovery or TWRP
    • Format /system + /data + /cache
    • Flash
    • Reboot

WORKING:
    • Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth
    • Mobile Network
    • GPS
    • NFC
    • Audio
    • Camera
    • Fingerprint Sensor
    • HDMI
    • Ethernet
    • MTP/ADB
    • Call Recording
    • Encryption
    • SELinux Enforcing
    • Android Auto
    • Glove Mode
    • OTA Updates

BROKEN:
    • Iris Scanner
    • VoLTE

DOWNLOADS:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S9

Version Information
    Stable
    ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.9.118
    ROM Firmware Required: Oneui 2 - 2.5

Contributors
    synt4x.93

Source Code: https://github.com/synt4x93/

Created: 16-12-2020
    Last Updated: 21-03-2021
    would you mind specifying exactly what you did to build this? I am using the lineage for microg docker based build and it currently succesfully builds 17.1. I would like to build 18.1 with OTA and sign it myself and provide the OTA like you do.
    There are fragments of info across this thread, it would be great if you or anyone else can put them together.
    Thanks!
    Hi,

Sure I can share what I did.

1. Prepare directories and get Lineage sources (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/starlte/build)

# Create directories
    Bash:
    mkdir -p ~/bin
    mkdir -p ~/android/build
    mkdir -p ~/android/build/src
    mkdir -p ~/android/build/ccache
    mkdir -p ~/android/build/keys
    mkdir -p ~/android/build/logs
    mkdir -p ~/android/build/zips
    mkdir -p ~/android/build/manifests

# Get repo tools
    Bash:
    curl https://storage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo
    chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

# Create a "~/.profile" file and paste this into:
    Bash:
    “if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
        PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
    fi”

# Prepare git
    Bash:
    cd ~/android/build/src
    git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
    git config --global user.name "Your Name"

# Init repo
    Bash:
    source ~/.profile
    repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b lineage-18.1

# Time to sync (it can take a very long time, so be patient).
    Bash:
    repo sync

2. At this point, I forked all Synt4x.93 related repositories on my Github. But, you don’t really need to do that if you just want to build.

For OTA, the only repo you will need to fork is android_device_samsung_starlte.

Create an other repository named OTA.

4. From your forked android_device_samsung_starlte repository, modify the file lineage_starlte.mk

Change the last line with your GitHub username:
    Code:
    PRODUCT_PROPERTY_OVERRIDES += \
    lineage.updater.uri=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/<Your_username>/OTA/lineage-18.1/starlte.json

5. Then you need to add the roomservice.xml file to add the device and kernel sources.

You can use the resources from Synt4x.93, mine or from Neurotical (He’s maintaining a more recent version of the kernel, you should have a look: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-s9-s9-unofficial-lineageos-18-1-weekly.4302901/ )

Get one of the manifests:
    -Synt4x.93: https://github.com/synt4x93/local_manifests
    -pakaoraki: https://github.com/pakaoraki/local_manifests
    -Neurotical: https://github.com/Geoknyda/local_manifests

Then modify the file roomservice.xml: change "project name" with your GitHub username to match your repository:
    Code:
    <project name="synt4x93/android_device_samsung_starlte" path="device/samsung/starlte" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1" />

Copy your version of roomservice.xml into ~/android/build/manifests directory.

# Update source again
    Bash:
    repo sync

6. Generate your own keys (https://wiki.lineageos.org/signing_builds.html)

From the root of your Android tree, run these commands, altering the subject line to reflect your information:
    Bash:
    subject='/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Android/OU=Android/CN=Android/[email protected]'

cd ~/android/build/src
    for x in releasekey platform shared media networkstack testkey; do \
        ./development/tools/make_key ~/android/build/keys/$x "$subject"; \
    done
    make a copy of the “keys” directory and keep it safe.

7. Install docker and get docker-lineage-cicd image:

You can use lineaos4microg : https://hub.docker.com/r/lineageos4microg/docker-lineage-cicd/Dockerfile
    Bash:
    docker pull lineageos4microg/docker-lineage-cicd

Or

I also re-write my own docker image to add some options. You can try: https://hub.docker.com/r/pakaoraki/docker-lineage-cicd
    Bash:
    docker pull pakaoraki/docker-lineage-cicd

8. Then you are ready to build:

Execute this command (change pakaoraki/docker-lineage-cicd with lineaos4microg/docker-lineage-cicd if needed)

Bash:
    docker run \
    -e "BRANCH_NAME=lineage-18.1" \
    -e "DEVICE_LIST=starlte" \
    -e "INCLUDE_PROPRIETARY=false" \
    -e "SIGN_BUILDS=true" \
    -v "~/android/build/src:/srv/src" \
    -v "~/android/build/zips:/srv/zips" \
    -v "~/android/build/logs:/srv/logs" \
    -v "~/android/build/ccache:/srv/ccache" \
    -v "~/android/build/keys:/srv/keys" \
    -v "~/android/build/manifests:/srv/local_manifests" \
    pakaoraki/docker-lineage-cicd

9. When build is done, create a new release on your OTA repo: choose a tag and upload recovery.img and zips file.

you will need to create a starlte.json that match to your build and release information:
    Code:
    {
       "response": [
          {
             "datetime": 1627204505,
             "filename": "lineage-18.1-20210725-UNOFFICIAL-starlte.zip",
             "id": "39b85208c5c30edfafd983673a703d60",
             "romtype": "UNOFFICIAL",
             "size": 608774193,
             "url": "https://github.com/<username>/OTA/releases/download/<tag>/lineage-18.1-20210725-UNOFFICIAL-starlte.zip",
             "version": "18.1"
          }
       ]
    }

<tag>: the tag you use when creating the release on Github.
    <username>: your username.

Then, upload starlte.json to your OTA repository.

It's possible that I forget something but you get the global idea.

@ElPakoTech

Thanks for your work!
    I will test the build and give you feedback.

Nice , if we have a maintained LOS with current security patches.
    Have you a paypal adress, that i can buy you a beer?

Regards
    dreas
    I will do my own build anyway if there is no official support so I'm happy to share it. No need to tips but thanks :)
    5th July security update ready on this build if you are compiling your own.
    How to check when its available besides going thru the make process and checking
    ~/android/build/core/version_defaults.mk
    once complete for the security update date ?

Also checking the
    //source.android.com/security/bulletin
    for the monthly date and
    https://lineageos.org/blog/
    changelog
    isnt helpful. How to know what patch is ready to build before I go thru the whole process ???

Need to keep the device patched to the latest at all times to be able to use as a daily for work :p
    To check for security update version of Lineage 18.1 before building your own: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_build/blob/lineage-18.1/core/version_defaults.mk#L243

There is a build with July security update and an upstreamed kernel here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-s9-s9-unofficial-lineageos-18-1-weekly.4302901/

I am upstreaming the kernel daily and building these new builds daily as well.
    Don't mean to be a jerk, simply stating my choices. The person who made this unoffical rom has been online several days this past week and has given us zero communication on future updates.

I'll be heading to arrow os soon.
    In open source nobody owes anything to anyone. People are working in their free time. Which is kind of obvious.