• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][Exynos][Weekly]

Search This thread

abra-kadabra

Dec 10, 2011
Screenshot_20210928-181514.jpg
Any idea for this to work?

J'aimerais savoir quels gapps vous me recommandez. J'ai un s9 plus exynos pour information. (désolé pour mon anglais j'utilise un traducteur)

Translated by GT: I would like to know which gapps you recommend to me. I have an s9 plus exynos for information. (sorry for my english i use a translator)
https://nikgapps.com/ is what I use and it works great. No issues so far.

ElPakoTech

Apr 18, 2020
https://nikgapps.com/ is what I use and it works great. No issues so far.

J'aimerais savoir quels gapps vous me recommandez. J'ai un s9 plus exynos pour information. (désolé pour mon anglais j'utilise un traducteur)

Translated by GT: I would like to know which gapps you recommend to me. I have an s9 plus exynos for information. (sorry for my english i use a translator)
J'utilise Opengapps version 11 nano (https://opengapps.org/) et ça marche très bien. J'ai vu que des personnes qui utilisent "google pay" ont raporté des problèmes avec Opengapps (perso j'ai pas testé). Il semble que ça marche mieux avec Nickgapps .

nasdaq0

Oct 10, 2009
Hello, i have the feeling, that the battery dries very quickly since a couple of builds (1-2 months).
I updated from github
pls help
i have a S9.
anybody else with this feeling?
Especially when not used, the mobile does appear to still require a similar amount of battery comp. to usage. i see that in the battery usage graph
PS Tremendous work apart from this issue

Last edited:
Hi @Neurotical Must say this is the only custom rom I've had boot on my s9+ every other ROM would boot to download mode .

I'm liking this ROM so far , smooth transition and havent noticed anything major .

It was raining yesterday and a couple of splashes went on screen and all hell broke loose (dunno if there is a sensitivity issue in settings )

Is there a way to return the normal navigation buttons also ? I am not a fan of the on screen nav buttons .

Apart from that you've done an amazing rom here my friend and I'd like to thank you for that . look forward to the weekly updates .

Expect a donation shortly , really appreciated, cheers

Regard

diuksnm

Oct 3, 2021
Hi, i want to try this rom but i have a few questions, i have an S9+ (exynos) with stock rom.
It is neccesary to update the baseband?
It is neccesary to use odin to flash a recovery? Or maybe can i use : adb boot recovery.img ? (I used to do this with a xiaomi A2 and work)
once in recovery, just flash the rom zip? i have to copy the rom zip to an sdcard?
I want to install gapps also, i have to flash it before first boot or something?

In the stock rom i have a few problems with audio output trought headphones, it seems like samsung made some eq modifications, a workaround is to set the eq to -2b in every band
reference and also is this fixed on this rom?
And finally, there is a easy way to re-map the bixby button?

Thanks and sorry :)

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Hi @Neurotical Must say this is the only custom rom I've had boot on my s9+ every other ROM would boot to download mode .

I'm liking this ROM so far , smooth transition and havent noticed anything major .

It was raining yesterday and a couple of splashes went on screen and all hell broke loose (dunno if there is a sensitivity issue in settings )

Is there a way to return the normal navigation buttons also ? I am not a fan of the on screen nav buttons .

Apart from that you've done an amazing rom here my friend and I'd like to thank you for that . look forward to the weekly updates .

Expect a donation shortly , really appreciated, cheers

Regard
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I do not know how to change the nav buttons because I think Lineage controls all that. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

As for the donation, the thought is very kind, but please do not feel the need. I really believe this ROM work should remain free for all and transparent. Its a good learning experience for newcomers to the custom ROM world and that is what is worth the most. If you want to give back somehow, please feel free to share your learnings here for others to benefit 👍

Hi, i want to try this rom but i have a few questions, i have an S9+ (exynos) with stock rom.
It is neccesary to update the baseband?
No, but it is recommended for performance and security features.
It is neccesary to use odin to flash a recovery? Or maybe can i use : adb boot recovery.img ? (I used to do this with a xiaomi A2 and work)
once in recovery, just flash the rom zip?
You do not need Odin to flash a recovery, but it is recommended to use the Lineage recovery. ADB Sideload for the recovery works fine.
i have to copy the rom zip to an sdcard?
You don't have to. You can install the ROM with adb Sideload in the Lineage recovery. Afterwards, you can just update via OTA.
I want to install gapps also, i have to flash it before first boot or something?
I do not know about gapps install procedure, sorry.
In the stock rom i have a few problems with audio output trought headphones, it seems like samsung made some eq modifications, a workaround is to set the eq to -2b in every band
reference and also is this fixed on this rom?
This is new to me! I did not know about the sound decibel tweak. I will try it out, thanks! As for working it into the ROM, I don't think I can do that.
And finally, there is a easy way to re-map the bixby button?
Not really... I did try several functions for it, but the only one that worked was the MENU function. Everything else didn't work. You can see the actual code that changes the function of the Bixby button (key 703) here: https://github.com/Geoknyda/android...3cede7f3af777fcfc5/keylayout/gpio_keys.kl#L20
Cool, eh?!
Thank YOU for providing feedback and helping the community grow 👍

Last edited:

diuksnm

Oct 3, 2021
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I do not know how to change the nav buttons because I think Lineage controls all that. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

As for the donation, the thought is very kind, but please do not feel the need. I really believe this ROM work should remain free for all and transparent. Its a good learning experience for newcomers to the custom ROM world and that is what is worth the most. If you want to give back somehow, please feel free to share your learnings here for others to benefit 👍

No, but it is recommended for performance and security features.

You do not need Odin to flash a recovery, but it is recommended to use the Lineage recovery. ADB Sideload for the recovery works fine.

You don't have to. You can install the ROM with adb Sideload in the Lineage recovery. Afterwards, you can just update via OTA.

I do not know about gapps install procedure, sorry.

This is new to me! I did not know about the sound decibel tweak. I will try it out, thanks! As for working it into the ROM, I don't think I can do that.

Not really... I did try several functions for it, but the only one that worked was the MENU function. Everything else didn't work. You can see the actual code that changes the function of the Bixby button (key 703) here: https://github.com/Geoknyda/android...3cede7f3af777fcfc5/keylayout/gpio_keys.kl#L20
Cool, eh?!

Thank YOU for providing feedback and helping the community grow 👍
Ready! everything seems to work, just i dont see netflix app on Google Play, do i need to flash something to have it? I dont flashed magisk, just Los and opengapps

Edit: rear camera not working, in any app, front camera works nice but the rear one no (for example in instagram), the Los camera app don't open and gives and error saying "can't connect to camera" or something like that, it closes instantly.
Edit2: Im stupid. I flashed the starlte and i have an s9+ , made all the process again but with the correct file and now works :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Neurotical
@Neurotical

Wow you are a proper dev much respect to you my friend.

Ok I used latest TWRP as i wasnt sure how to flash NikGapps (recommended Gapps for Android R) followed by Magisk in the Lineage os recovery.

Everything went as expected and boot was quick an smooth.

I use the Lineage 18.1 by Taluatxda on a Samsung T580 tablet so just followed same procedure. As i said no other rom would boot on my S9+ so hats off to you mate . Cheers.

Regards

reon_todd

Sep 21, 2021
used it for almost 2 week battery timing had been awesome can last for a day but the reason i revert back to stock rom is because of volte and stock camera had installed gcam but camera result improved little bit and in night even gcam was giving worst result and volte issue is biggest reason i had to go back to stock rom.

Monvigliero

Aug 20, 2021
guys, my batteriy issue is severe. Where can i find older builds? from July or August?

Hello, i have the feeling, that the battery dries very quickly since a couple of builds (1-2 months).
I updated from github
pls help
i have a S9.
anybody else with this feeling?
Especially when not used, the mobile does appear to still require a similar amount of battery comp. to usage. i see that in the battery usage graph
PS Tremendous work apart from this issue
I had similar issues. Because all the Neurotical Lineage Bilds seems perfect, the problems are on our side. I hope you mean the build from the 1st page of this feed.

I experienced high drain even during night/stand by hours: 3%+/hr with Wifi and phone on. Of course same during the day, but it was harder to notice. (The optimal is under 0,5%/hr on stand by. You can try if airplane mode but wifi on helps to reduce drainage (practically with mobile services off). If yes U face the same issue.)

My issue was the incorrect APN (Mobile Networks > Access Point Names) settings. Same to my friend in different country, different provider, but exact same Build.

The default APN settings are usually not good. Delete ALL the APNs, check your mobile provider's website, and set them manually.

I also keep Settings > Accounts > Automatically sync app data off (only the necessary on).

Developer options > Mobile data always active (even when Wi-Fi is active) could be also turned OFF (unfortunately it turns back on sometimes with restarts).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
FYI, new build available via OTA and OP includes:

New kernel 4.9.286
AOSP October 2021 security update
Power and charger enhancements
Full 4G set as default network protocol

Enjoy!

Neurotical, can you upload your roomservice.xml to your github pls.​

I'm frankensteining my roomservice between your kernel, Lineage and Synt4x.93 and todays build went thru ok, but install gave the dreaded
fix-Decryption-unsuccessful.jpg

--=== UPDATE ===--
the roomservice manifest can no longer use the original synt4x93 repos without building successfully and getting this error on install. Building from neurotical + LOS manifest will work and install fine.
Built new image, dirty flashed right over the top of my build from synt4x93 repos / neurotical kernel and LOS with previous security patch ( last month ) and installed as normal on 9+. Kernel 286, + 1st Oct patch = YAY !!!

Massive thanks to neurotical and ElPakoTech

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
👍

Feel like squid player 456 now :O

Last edited:
Reactions: Neurotical

Splendid Angharad

Jan 12, 2019
Hi, I am a somewhat newb in the process of installing this. First of all thank you for working on this project, I was a bit bummed to see that there is no official Lineage support for S9 anymore but your build is an excellent alternative.

I would like to add MicroG to my installation, but I'm not sure how best to do this. I know it requires signature spoofing; is this possible with this build? If so, how would I best go about including MicroG with my installation?

Thank you

pumori

Dec 12, 2010
Battery life improved dramatically on my device with the last build, almost 2 days, Great ROM!!

squinzia

Jul 8, 2016
Thanks to the developers, got my hands on a s9 and installed this and it seems great.
Also I've installed pico open gapps and had no problems

Any reccomendations on best camera app? maybe a link? s9 exynos version

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Battery life improved dramatically on my device with the last build, almost 2 days, Great ROM!!
This is absolutely amazing! I am so happy the ROM is working as intended. Thanks for your interest, feedback and support!

Thanks to the developers, got my hands on a s9 and installed this and it seems great.
Also I've installed pico open gapps and had no problems

Any reccomendations on best camera app? maybe a link? s9 exynos version
I use Open Camera. It gets the job done with a modest amount of features.

Reactions: squinzia

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI:

New kernel 4.9.290 released.
    Now available via OTA or OP.

Have a nice day! :coffee:(y):geek:
    FYI:

November AOSP Security Update now available via OTA or OP

Have a nice day!
    Okay! So it sounds like you're good to go.

The one important thing I would suggest is to make sure to use the accompanying Recovery with the ROM, not anything else like TWRP, because that gives some people problems. These recoveries are in the download section of the OP and are released every week with the ROM. Once installed all you have to do is run the OTA update service inside the ROM. I try to release kernel updates weekly and the AOSP updates monthly.

Regarding the always on display, you can see below the setting exists and I can confirm it works.

View attachment 5450535

Hi, adding to Neurotical's answer above:
    1. Very stable! Though the definition of "just work" might vary between us - VoLTE is not present in this ROM for example, but as I do not use VoLTE, I'm not too bothered.
    2. Yes, it's a bit more involved than installing ROMs on Nexuses, but definitely doable as long as your phone is not carrier locked.
    3. Sound works, but there is a definite decrease in loudspeaker audio quality through Lineage. Definitely less bassy and more hollow, but if you listen through Bluetooth or 3.5mm it won't matter anyway. Brightness also works, along with auto brightness, but I find that the minimum brightness on Lineage is a bit brighter than the minimum brightness on Samsung One UI.
    4. The photos on Lineage will never be as good as on One UI because Samsung's camera magic is proprietary. That doesn't mean the photos are bad - they're definitely still usable! OpenCamera will give you a lot more options than what the Lineage default camera app can offer, while GCam is a whole can of worms I'm not even willing to open as making it work on a non-Snapdragon device is tedious.
    5. I'm personally on the pico variant of OpenGapps and it works great. SafetyNet will not pass by default on a modified device, but I got SafetyNet to pass using a combination of Magisk, MagiskHide, LSPosed, and XPrivacyLua. Rather tedious process that was, involving a couple of reboots, but at least my banking apps are none the wiser :)

Thanks both for the detailed replies!

Hmm, the GApps situation definitely sounds less than ideal. I also saw in other places on the internet that the clock on the LineageOS AOD is a lot smaller than in Samsung's AOD, which is another sacrifice I'd have to make. (I know this sounds like a huge nitpick, but like I said, my time perception unfortunately isn't the best, so clocks are a very important tool to me :) )

I'll think it over a bit more, and if I do end up installing the ROM I will post here again to let you guys know how it went. Even if I end up replacing the phone, I might install the ROM anyway just to try out LOS :)
    Thanks Neurotical! One suggestion: revert b729c703 . Setting the side button to "Menu" works, but if you leave it as "Search" then the Settings -> System -> Buttons options allow you to change it to whatever you want.
    Thanks and done. It'll be in the next build :)
    Hi there!

@Neurotical I have my SM-G9600 fully unlocked. Is this ROM going to work?
    I'm currently on DotOS and would like to try something new...
    I would say no, because it is a Snapdragon variant.
    2okPze5.png

ROM DOWNLOADS:

ROM INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    • From OEM:
      • Lineage Recovery
      • Format /system + /data + /cache
      • Flash
      • Reboot
      • Root is not included. To root, install Magisk yourself.
    • From existing Unofficial weekly:
      • Use OTA, or
      • Sideload via ADB in recovery

BASEBAND UPDATING:
    1. Install Samsung USB drivers
    2. Install Odin 3.14 (or later)
    3. Download updated baseband firmware from the XDA thread for your model phone.
    4. Unzip and re-pack "modem.bin" into a .tar file such as "modem.tar"
    5. Reboot phone into download mode
    6. Open Odin
    7. Load your modem.tar file into CP in Odin
    8. Start flash
    9. Reboot

CONTRIBUTORS:

SOURCE CODE:

REFERENCES:

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Stock Samsung Oneui 2 - 2.5 (Android 10) Firmware. (Bootloader + Vendor)

WORKING:
    • GPS
    • NFC
    • Wi-Fi
    • Audio
    • HDMI
    • Camera
    • Ethernet
    • Bluetooth
    • MTP/ADB
    • Encryption
    • Glove Mode
    • Android Auto
    • OTA Updates
    • Call Recording
    • Mobile Network
    • SELinux Enforcing
    • Fingerprint Sensor
    • Wireguard (via kernel)

BROKEN:
    • Iris Scanner
    • VoLTE

XDA DevDB Information
    • LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S9

Version Information
    • ROM Firmware Required: Oneui 2 - 2.5

My work will always be free for everyone to use and I will never hide anything behind a paywall.

* We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone by installing custom ROMs/kernels.
    * You do it at your own risk. You take responsibility upon yourself and are not to blame us or XDA.
    * Your warranty will likely be voided by installing custom ROMs.
    Good day,

I just want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who has tried this ROM, given feedback, and even helped out along the way! It is with all of your help that I can keep the builds coming and I look forward to doing this for as long as I can for the S9 and the S9+ :) Our community deserves the best and that only happens when we all work together :)

Have a great day, and thank you again to everyone in this community :)
    FYI:
    • Updated kernel 4.9.277
    • Wireguard kernel access persists through ROM update :)
    • Root with Magisk v23 persists through ROM update :)
    Enjoy!
    FYI, new build available via OTA and OP includes:

New kernel 4.9.286
    AOSP October 2021 security update
    Power and charger enhancements
    Full 4G set as default network protocol

Enjoy!
    A couple of questions as I am somewhat new:
    1. Why is this build unofficial resp. what is preventing this build to become official again (as starlte official was discontinued after LOS 17.1)?
    2. How trustworthy is an unofficial build compared to an official build?
    With regards to safety and trustworthiness:
    • Everything is open source so anyone can see what is going into the all the builds. This includes the kernel, Lineage OS, and Samsung device trees. These links are in the OP.
    • I don't make any changes of my own because I am not knowledgeable enough to do that, but I do copy kernel patches from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team run by Linus and Greg for the 4.9y branch; I can at least bug-test and roll them into the weekly ROM builds. Linus & Greg pretty much head up Linux entirely, so the patches they approve are as trustworthy as you can get :D
    • I also got the Wireguard kernel patch into this build, which is pretty awesome, but without the help of the contributors in the OP, I really wouldn't have been able to do it on my own.
    With regards to making it official:
    • I was using the official Lineage OS, but when the support for official status was dropped, I started learning how to build Lineage for unsupported devices. Then I came across Synt4x's repos, which gave me all the resources needed to build Lineage 18.1 for the S9 and S9+. I simply maintain kernel patches that come out weekly by the Linux Long-term Maintenance team (Linus & Greg et al.), work with the community here to maintain the device trees, and then compile the builds as often as needed.
    • After I got the hang of all this, I figured everyone who has an S9 or S9+ should be able to benefit form Lineage OS 18.1 support. These phones have great hardware and I think it a shame not to allow users the option to de-google it or take full control of it so soon after it has been released. Besides, the 4.9y kernel is going to be maintained until 2023. So I upgraded from a 3600 to a 5900x and 16gb RAM to 32gb RAM to speed up the builds (each build is only about 8 minutes now) and support the community!
    • I would like to see an official build, but I can't maintain it all by myself. I am not a programmer, and most of the code I look at is jibberish to me; I just trust the Linux team and Lineage OS team. So we need the community here to help me with build errors when the Lineage team makes changes to their OS; I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to tackle those problems on my own. But I am learning, and have successfully tackled two compile errors so far with the help of the community, and I've learned from them :D
    What you will get with this build, even though it is unofficial is:
    • Kernel updates straight from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team; this is very official and safe;
    • AOSP security patches straight from the Lineage group; this is very official and safe;
    • Lineage OS updates as they roll out; this is very official and safe;
    I literally can't do anything else because of my limited skillset.