• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][Exynos][Weekly]

Search This thread
Sep 14, 2017
Thanks a lot for the new update :)
I have two quick generally question.

1. When I update over OTA my recovery does not get updated, I have to manually load it over Heimdall. Is this normal? In the Updater preferences the "Update recovery" is checked.

2. After every update over OTA I have to reflash Magisk because root is then gone, is this also normal?

Sorry if the questions are a bit dump :D I hope you guys are not mad with me.
I would be very happy for a short classification. Thank you very much :)

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks a lot for the new update :)
I have two quick generally question.

1. When I update over OTA my recovery does not get updated, I have to manually load it over Heimdall. Is this normal? In the Updater preferences the "Update recovery" is checked.

2. After every update over OTA I have to reflash Magisk because root is then gone, is this also normal?

Sorry if the questions are a bit dump :D I hope you guys are not mad with me.
I would be very happy for a short classification. Thank you very much :)

1. I haven't updated my recovery for quite some time, so it's not necessary to reinstall the recovery each time.
2. If you have to reflash Magisk v23 each time, that is not normal. Every time I update via OTA, my root access and Magisk v23 stays.

No worries on the questions :) They help the community learn :)

Reactions: citizenserious
Sep 14, 2017
And finally, there is a easy way to re-map the bixby button?
Actually there is, you can use the app "Key Mapper" from the F-Droid Store as a "workaround" :)
It works fine for me, the majority of the functions of the app even works without root, if you do not have one.
The app also has a wider range of functions than the LOS would have. And it does not even appear in the battery usage stats, because of its efficiency.
It is worth a look: https://f-droid.org/de/packages/io.github.sds100.keymapper/
It's also available in the PlayStore (Aurora Store).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017
1. I haven't updated my recovery for quite some time, so it's not necessary to reinstall the recovery each time.
2. If you have to reflash Magisk v23 each time, that is not normal. Every time I update via OTA, my root access and Magisk v23 stays.

No worries on the questions :) They help the community learn :)
Thanks a lot for the fast answer :)
Hmm.. maybe it is because I flash Magisk over the zip file. I'll try to investigate this phenomenon and keep the community posted about my findings (y)

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks a lot for the fast answer :)
Hmm.. maybe it is because I flash Magisk over the zip file. I'll try to investigate this phenomenon and keep the community posted about my findings (y)
Good idea! I do think perhaps Magisk is reinstalled because you updated the recovery. It is not necessary to update recovery each time.

Sep 14, 2017
Good idea! I do think perhaps Magisk is reinstalled because you updated the recovery. It is not necessary to update recovery each time.
It is definitely independent from the recovery update. I do not update the recovery all the time, but from time to time. I somehow like to know that its on a recent version, even if I know that it doesn't matter :D

geronimoge

Aug 4, 2016
Thanks to the developers, got my hands on a s9 and installed this and it seems great.
Also I've installed pico open gapps and had no problems

Any reccomendations on best camera app? maybe a link? s9 exynos version
I'd give this GCam Port a try. For Samsung use "Scan3d" or "Ruler" apk.
Right now I'm using an older version (v8.1.101.345618084) and I think the photo quality is still better than from other camera apps.
But if someone knows something better I'd be happy to hear that since it's pretty slow and sometimes I'm experiencing bugs.

Reactions: Monvigliero

Monvigliero

Aug 20, 2021
It is definitely independent from the recovery update. I do not update the recovery all the time, but from time to time. I somehow like to know that its on a recent version, even if I know that it doesn't matter :D

I had to reflash Magisk every time when my device was encrypted. (Storage mount issues.) Without encryption it works perfectly without reflashing. Maybe this is the case with you too. (I did the flash with zip too, so that is not the problem.)

Last edited:

Monvigliero

Aug 20, 2021
I'd give this GCam Port a try. For Samsung use "Scan3d" or "Ruler" apk.
Right now I'm using an older version (v8.1.101.345618084) and I think the photo quality is still better than from other camera apps.
But if someone knows something better I'd be happy to hear that since it's pretty slow and sometimes I'm experiencing bugs.

+1 for the same GCam app. This is the best so far. Way better than Open Camera. (Altough pain in the *ss to install, set up front camera/gallery, find the proper config file, and block it's trackers (3 libraries)).

Which one U use exactly? I would gladly try. Why "Scan3d" or "Ruler" is better?
Should our device still be considered as Samsung with LineageOS or just a general android device (because I use MGC, but I would gladly try a better working option)?
Do you use a special config file (I downloaded all four that I had found in their Telegram feed.)?

The photo quality is already OK, but having an S9 PLUS, I lost the 2nd rear "Tele Camera", and I am quite sad about it, I would be happy to find an option to make it work again.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017
I had to reflash Magisk every time when my device was encrypted. (Storage mount issues.) Without encryption it works perfectly without reflashing. Maybe this is the case with you? (Initially I did the flash with zip too, so that is not the problem.)
That's probably it! My device is encrypted too. Thank you (; I'll keep reflashing than. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering if I did something wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monvigliero
Mar 19, 2021
Cudos to the latest build, OTA on encrypted phone ( no Magisk ) is seemless. Super happy at the speed the builds are available every time a kernel / security / LOS update is ready.
5 stars
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Last edited:

ptuner

Oct 3, 2020
Hello, curious here what is the difference of this and

[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][21-03-2021]?​

Also I notice it says some "formatting" is required for the install, coming from other devices using TWRP to install roms not familiar with this, is there an explanation/ tutorial somewhere? Any ecryption, LTE problems? Also do you need to be careful what version S9 you get or you cant flash TWRP and this?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Hello, curious here what is the difference of this and

[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][21-03-2021]?​

Also I notice it says some "formatting" is required for the install, coming from other devices using TWRP to install roms not familiar with this, is there an explanation/ tutorial somewhere? Any ecryption, LTE problems? Also do you need to be careful what version S9 you get or you cant flash TWRP and this?
Thanks.

This is a branch of that one. It used the same repos, but the original developer made a lot of changes of his own over the past few months, including f2fs.

Yes you should use the Lineage recovery because TWRP has had issues for some people. I think it has something to do with encryption.

The ROM will work on S9 and S9+ :)

Reactions: Galaxy9plus-support

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Is there a way to support this work? Unfortunately I am not a programmer. But willing to learn stuff.
Thanks for the interest!

I suppose the first step would be learning how to compile the Lineage 18.1 ROM using my repos in a roomservice.xml. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this. Once done, I would benefit from help learning how to add in some programs to the ROM build. I think the community can perhaps vote on which, if any, programs could be included in the ROM, like Aurora Store, F-Droid, and the like.

gnarf49

Jan 21, 2013
I would vote to remove stuff rather than add and keep the system image as tidy as possible, to save space/battery, avoid duplicates and keep security risks low. Possibly not required here currently, Lineage seems already very much debloated.
And then have a best-of/where-to-get-them list for must-have apps like email/browser/camera/calendar/etc.for getting started, in case there are no preferences already.

HQwarp

Aug 16, 2011
Thank you for compiling this rom!
I am trying to use your rom with MicroG. Installing the MicroG ended up with error that the system need to be patch for spoofing signature.
With the previous lineage I use NanoDroid-patcher-23.1.2.20210117.zip to make the necessary steps to install MicroG.

The script is running fine on Lineage 18 on other devices. This file is unable to run on this rom.
Can you check it out?

Thanks!!

Sep 14, 2017
Thank you for compiling this rom!
I am trying to use your rom with MicroG. Installing the MicroG ended up with error that the system need to be patch for spoofing signature.
With the previous lineage I use NanoDroid-patcher-23.1.2.20210117.zip to make the necessary steps to install MicroG.

The script is running fine on Lineage 18 on other devices. This file is unable to run on this rom.
Can you check it out?

Thanks!!
You can use Magisk with "Riru" and "Riru - LSPosed" for spoofing and the "microG Installer Revived". This worked for me.
Please read the documentation for spoofing on Android 11 for more information.
To my knowledge, Nanodroid does not support Android 11.

Spoofing information: https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/wiki/Signature-Spoofing

Xposed solution for android 11 and 12 consists of the magisk modules "Riru" and "Riru - LSPosed" and FakeGApps fork by whew-inc

Last edited:

gnarf49

Jan 21, 2013
I have tried some of the above to enable signature spoofing for MicroG but without success, this was the main reason to start my own builds.
Signature spoofing while building is very easy (link in above post, apply patch from MicroG website before the "brunch" step). The patched ROM allows to simply install and update MicroG from the MicroG FDroid repo.

Sorry I don't have a public git or suchlike, if someone is interested and provides a link I can upload the ROM. The complete build process is some pages up: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-s9-s9-unofficial-lineageos-18-1-weekly.4302901/post-85645889

Reactions: Speedmatze

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would vote to remove stuff rather than add and keep the system image as tidy as possible, to save space/battery, avoid duplicates and keep security risks low. Possibly not required here currently, Lineage seems already very much debloated.
    And then have a best-of/where-to-get-them list for must-have apps like email/browser/camera/calendar/etc.for getting started, in case there are no preferences already.
    FYI:

New Kernel 4.9.289
    Available via OTA or OP

Have a great day!
    FYI:

New kernel 4.9.290 released.
    Now available via OTA or OP.

Have a nice day! :coffee:(y):geek:
    FYI:

November AOSP Security Update now available via OTA or OP

Have a nice day!
    Thanks Neurotical! One suggestion: revert b729c703 . Setting the side button to "Menu" works, but if you leave it as "Search" then the Settings -> System -> Buttons options allow you to change it to whatever you want.
    Thanks and done. It'll be in the next build :)
    2okPze5.png

ROM DOWNLOADS:

ROM INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    • From OEM:
      • Lineage Recovery
      • Format /system + /data + /cache
      • Flash
      • Reboot
      • Root is not included. To root, install Magisk yourself.
    • From existing Unofficial weekly:
      • Use OTA, or
      • Sideload via ADB in recovery

BASEBAND UPDATING:
    1. Install Samsung USB drivers
    2. Install Odin 3.14 (or later)
    3. Download updated baseband firmware from the XDA thread for your model phone.
    4. Unzip and re-pack "modem.bin" into a .tar file such as "modem.tar"
    5. Reboot phone into download mode
    6. Open Odin
    7. Load your modem.tar file into CP in Odin
    8. Start flash
    9. Reboot

CONTRIBUTORS:

SOURCE CODE:

REFERENCES:

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Stock Samsung Oneui 2 - 2.5 (Android 10) Firmware. (Bootloader + Vendor)

WORKING:
    • GPS
    • NFC
    • Wi-Fi
    • Audio
    • HDMI
    • Camera
    • Ethernet
    • Bluetooth
    • MTP/ADB
    • Encryption
    • Glove Mode
    • Android Auto
    • OTA Updates
    • Call Recording
    • Mobile Network
    • SELinux Enforcing
    • Fingerprint Sensor
    • Wireguard (via kernel)

BROKEN:
    • Iris Scanner
    • VoLTE

XDA DevDB Information
    • LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S9

Version Information
    • ROM Firmware Required: Oneui 2 - 2.5

My work will always be free for everyone to use and I will never hide anything behind a paywall.

* We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone by installing custom ROMs/kernels.
    * You do it at your own risk. You take responsibility upon yourself and are not to blame us or XDA.
    * Your warranty will likely be voided by installing custom ROMs.
    Good day,

I just want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who has tried this ROM, given feedback, and even helped out along the way! It is with all of your help that I can keep the builds coming and I look forward to doing this for as long as I can for the S9 and the S9+ :) Our community deserves the best and that only happens when we all work together :)

Have a great day, and thank you again to everyone in this community :)
    A couple of questions as I am somewhat new:
    1. Why is this build unofficial resp. what is preventing this build to become official again (as starlte official was discontinued after LOS 17.1)?
    2. How trustworthy is an unofficial build compared to an official build?
    With regards to safety and trustworthiness:
    • Everything is open source so anyone can see what is going into the all the builds. This includes the kernel, Lineage OS, and Samsung device trees. These links are in the OP.
    • I don't make any changes of my own because I am not knowledgeable enough to do that, but I do copy kernel patches from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team run by Linus and Greg for the 4.9y branch; I can at least bug-test and roll them into the weekly ROM builds. Linus & Greg pretty much head up Linux entirely, so the patches they approve are as trustworthy as you can get :D
    • I also got the Wireguard kernel patch into this build, which is pretty awesome, but without the help of the contributors in the OP, I really wouldn't have been able to do it on my own.
    With regards to making it official:
    • I was using the official Lineage OS, but when the support for official status was dropped, I started learning how to build Lineage for unsupported devices. Then I came across Synt4x's repos, which gave me all the resources needed to build Lineage 18.1 for the S9 and S9+. I simply maintain kernel patches that come out weekly by the Linux Long-term Maintenance team (Linus & Greg et al.), work with the community here to maintain the device trees, and then compile the builds as often as needed.
    • After I got the hang of all this, I figured everyone who has an S9 or S9+ should be able to benefit form Lineage OS 18.1 support. These phones have great hardware and I think it a shame not to allow users the option to de-google it or take full control of it so soon after it has been released. Besides, the 4.9y kernel is going to be maintained until 2023. So I upgraded from a 3600 to a 5900x and 16gb RAM to 32gb RAM to speed up the builds (each build is only about 8 minutes now) and support the community!
    • I would like to see an official build, but I can't maintain it all by myself. I am not a programmer, and most of the code I look at is jibberish to me; I just trust the Linux team and Lineage OS team. So we need the community here to help me with build errors when the Lineage team makes changes to their OS; I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to tackle those problems on my own. But I am learning, and have successfully tackled two compile errors so far with the help of the community, and I've learned from them :D
    What you will get with this build, even though it is unofficial is:
    • Kernel updates straight from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team; this is very official and safe;
    • AOSP security patches straight from the Lineage group; this is very official and safe;
    • Lineage OS updates as they roll out; this is very official and safe;
    I literally can't do anything else because of my limited skillset.
    FYI:
    • Updated kernel 4.9.277
    • Wireguard kernel access persists through ROM update :)
    • Root with Magisk v23 persists through ROM update :)
    Enjoy!
    FYI, new build available via OTA and OP includes:

New kernel 4.9.286
    AOSP October 2021 security update
    Power and charger enhancements
    Full 4G set as default network protocol

Enjoy!