• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][Exynos][Weekly]

Search This thread

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Hello everyone! I would like to ask the community for some help with a minor tweak that could add value to the build.

I would like to change the default Bluetooth audio codec channel mode from "stereo" to "dual channel". The audio quality is really good with dual channel, and it seems to be supported on a lot of devices, but it's a hassle to get to the setting every time.

Screenshot_20211102-182102_Settings.png
Screenshot_20211102-182111_Settings.png

I tried searching my repos for these keywords:

The best I can come up with are these files and lines, which appear to set an indicator for "dual_channel":

However, I don't know what to do or change :( Any help would really be appreciated!

jamy015

Mar 27, 2014
Hi folks, my old Galaxy S9 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I'm considering either replacing it with a new phone, or having the battery & display replaced and installing this ROM. However, though I used fastboot, TWRP and adb to root my old Nexus 5X before, I'm a total noob when it comes to custom ROMs and/or Samsung. Therefore, I have some noob questions when it comes to the ROM - please bear with me.

1. How stable is this ROM? My S9 is my only phone, so I need it to 'just work' and not break.
  2. Is it even possible to install it? In some other threads, I read some conflicting messages about whether Samsung has permanently locked the bootloader alongside some security update. How can I check this?
  3. In some other threads I read that with custom ROMs, there can be issues with the sound and brightness compared to Samsung stock. Is that the case for this ROM, and if so, are there any solutions to that?
  4. I also read that when it comes to the camera, you need to install a third-party camera (OpenCamera or GCam) -- how stable are these solutions and are the photos of reasonable quality?
  5. If I install GApps and don't root, will the phone still pass SafetyNet? How stable are the various GApps packages?
Thanks.

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Hi folks, my old Galaxy S9 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I'm considering either replacing it with a new phone, or having the battery & display replaced and installing this ROM. However, though I used fastboot, TWRP and adb to root my old Nexus 5X before, I'm a total noob when it comes to custom ROMs and/or Samsung. Therefore, I have some noob questions when it comes to the ROM - please bear with me.

1. How stable is this ROM? My S9 is my only phone, so I need it to 'just work' and not break.
  2. Is it even possible to install it? In some other threads, I read some conflicting messages about whether Samsung has permanently locked the bootloader alongside some security update. How can I check this?
  3. In some other threads I read that with custom ROMs, there can be issues with the sound and brightness compared to Samsung stock. Is that the case for this ROM, and if so, are there any solutions to that?
  4. I also read that when it comes to the camera, you need to install a third-party camera (OpenCamera or GCam) -- how stable are these solutions and are the photos of reasonable quality?
  5. If I install GApps and don't root, will the phone still pass SafetyNet? How stable are the various GApps packages?
Thanks.

Hi Jamy.

1. The ROM is stable. I have an S9 as a daily driver and use the ROM I share weekly in this thread; it has to be stable for me to have a phone.
  2. Yes, you can install it. Make sure you have the Exynos version (international) of your S9; the Snapdragon (US) is locked.
  3. There are no problems with sound or brightness. This is LineageOS which is a very large, trusted, and bug-free ROM.
  4. The stock Lineage camera is okay, but Opencamera has better features.
  5. I don't know much about Gapps, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamy015

jamy015

Mar 27, 2014
Hi Jamy.

1. The ROM is stable. I have an S9 as a daily driver and use the ROM I share weekly in this thread; it has to be stable for me to have a phone.
  2. Yes, you can install it. Make sure you have the Exynos version (international) of your S9; the Snapdragon (US) is locked.
  3. There are no problems with sound or brightness. This is LineageOS which is a very large, trusted, and bug-free ROM.
  4. The stock Lineage camera is okay, but Opencamera has better features.
  5. I don't know much about Gapps, sorry.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! I do indeed have the Exynos model -- at least, I assume so (my phone is coded for the Swiss market). It's good to hear that the ROM is stable and has no issues!

There's one more important (to me) question I forgot to ask: does Always On Display work? I tend to have trouble with time perception, so the AOD clock is essential to me.

Finally, is there anything else I should know as someone who would be coming from the stock Samsung OneUI, and who hasn't used custom ROMs before?

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! I do indeed have the Exynos model -- at least, I assume so (my phone is coded for the Swiss market). It's good to hear that the ROM is stable and has no issues!

There's one more important (to me) question I forgot to ask: does Always On Display work? I tend to have trouble with time perception, so the AOD clock is essential to me.

Finally, is there anything else I should know as someone who would be coming from the stock Samsung OneUI, and who hasn't used custom ROMs before?

Okay! So it sounds like you're good to go.

The one important thing I would suggest is to make sure to use the accompanying Recovery with the ROM, not anything else like TWRP, because that gives some people problems. These recoveries are in the download section of the OP and are released every week with the ROM. Once installed all you have to do is run the OTA update service inside the ROM. I try to release kernel updates weekly and the AOSP updates monthly.

Regarding the always on display, you can see below the setting exists and I can confirm it works.

Screenshot_20211105-184251_Settings.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jamy015

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me

Thanks.

Hi, adding to Neurotical's answer above:
  1. Very stable! Though the definition of "just work" might vary between us - VoLTE is not present in this ROM for example, but as I do not use VoLTE, I'm not too bothered.
  2. Yes, it's a bit more involved than installing ROMs on Nexuses, but definitely doable as long as your phone is not carrier locked.
  3. Sound works, but there is a definite decrease in loudspeaker audio quality through Lineage. Definitely less bassy and more hollow, but if you listen through Bluetooth or 3.5mm it won't matter anyway. Brightness also works, along with auto brightness, but I find that the minimum brightness on Lineage is a bit brighter than the minimum brightness on Samsung One UI.
  4. The photos on Lineage will never be as good as on One UI because Samsung's camera magic is proprietary. That doesn't mean the photos are bad - they're definitely still usable! OpenCamera will give you a lot more options than what the Lineage default camera app can offer, while GCam is a whole can of worms I'm not even willing to open as making it work on a non-Snapdragon device is tedious.
  5. I'm personally on the pico variant of OpenGapps and it works great. SafetyNet will not pass by default on a modified device, but I got SafetyNet to pass using a combination of Magisk, MagiskHide, LSPosed, and XPrivacyLua. Rather tedious process that was, involving a couple of reboots, but at least my banking apps are none the wiser :)

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me
Hello everyone! I would like to ask the community for some help with a minor tweak that could add value to the build.

I would like to change the default Bluetooth audio codec channel mode from "stereo" to "dual channel". The audio quality is really good with dual channel, and it seems to be supported on a lot of devices, but it's a hassle to get to the setting every time.

View attachment 5447919View attachment 5447923

I tried searching my repos for these keywords:

The best I can come up with are these files and lines, which appear to set an indicator for "dual_channel":

However, I don't know what to do or change :( Any help would really be appreciated!

This got me curious, so I tried out the option myself and there is indeed a subtle but definite increase in audio quality with Dual Channel enabled. Apparently it was a user-facing feature in Lineage 15.1 (source), but got shelved as a developer-only option sometime after that as the original feature author no longer had a device to work with (source).

The Lineage blog entry (link) mentions the system property

Code:
persist.bluetooth.sbc_hd_higher_bitrate

which, when set to 1, apparently tells Android to try and use a higher bitrate over SBC, but it's unclear to me if this requires Dual Channel to be explicitly enabled beforehand.

Either way it's a shame this neat little feature isn't getting enough love, and I'm afraid I don't know the inner workings of Android enough to discover how to make a device tree overlay to make Dual Channel the default.

Reactions: francoism90

neves4

Apr 28, 2015
Hi there!

@Neurotical I have my SM-G9600 fully unlocked. Is this ROM going to work?
I'm currently on DotOS and would like to try something new...

jamy015

Mar 27, 2014
Okay! So it sounds like you're good to go.

The one important thing I would suggest is to make sure to use the accompanying Recovery with the ROM, not anything else like TWRP, because that gives some people problems. These recoveries are in the download section of the OP and are released every week with the ROM. Once installed all you have to do is run the OTA update service inside the ROM. I try to release kernel updates weekly and the AOSP updates monthly.

Regarding the always on display, you can see below the setting exists and I can confirm it works.

View attachment 5450535

Hi, adding to Neurotical's answer above:
  1. Very stable! Though the definition of "just work" might vary between us - VoLTE is not present in this ROM for example, but as I do not use VoLTE, I'm not too bothered.
  2. Yes, it's a bit more involved than installing ROMs on Nexuses, but definitely doable as long as your phone is not carrier locked.
  3. Sound works, but there is a definite decrease in loudspeaker audio quality through Lineage. Definitely less bassy and more hollow, but if you listen through Bluetooth or 3.5mm it won't matter anyway. Brightness also works, along with auto brightness, but I find that the minimum brightness on Lineage is a bit brighter than the minimum brightness on Samsung One UI.
  4. The photos on Lineage will never be as good as on One UI because Samsung's camera magic is proprietary. That doesn't mean the photos are bad - they're definitely still usable! OpenCamera will give you a lot more options than what the Lineage default camera app can offer, while GCam is a whole can of worms I'm not even willing to open as making it work on a non-Snapdragon device is tedious.
  5. I'm personally on the pico variant of OpenGapps and it works great. SafetyNet will not pass by default on a modified device, but I got SafetyNet to pass using a combination of Magisk, MagiskHide, LSPosed, and XPrivacyLua. Rather tedious process that was, involving a couple of reboots, but at least my banking apps are none the wiser :)

Thanks both for the detailed replies!

Hmm, the GApps situation definitely sounds less than ideal. I also saw in other places on the internet that the clock on the LineageOS AOD is a lot smaller than in Samsung's AOD, which is another sacrifice I'd have to make. (I know this sounds like a huge nitpick, but like I said, my time perception unfortunately isn't the best, so clocks are a very important tool to me :) )

I'll think it over a bit more, and if I do end up installing the ROM I will post here again to let you guys know how it went. Even if I end up replacing the phone, I might install the ROM anyway just to try out LOS :)

ptuner

Oct 3, 2020
This is a branch of that one. It used the same repos, but the original developer made a lot of changes of his own over the past few months, including f2fs.

Yes you should use the Lineage recovery because TWRP has had issues for some people. I think it has something to do with encryption.

The ROM will work on S9 and S9+ :)
Thanks so this one is a more custom one then. Dumb question: when flashing via Lineage Recovery is the finished system encrypted?

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me
Thanks so this one is a more custom one then. Dumb question: when flashing via Lineage Recovery is the finished system encrypted?
It's not encrypted out of the box, however if you skip initial setup and encrypt the phone from the Settings app, it will be encrypted and remain so throughout updates from within the recovery. I've not been able to make encryption work after setting up the phone with a Google account and everything, so it seems skipping initial setup is crucial.

gusnz

May 12, 2013
Thanks Neurotical! One suggestion: revert b729c703 . Setting the side button to "Menu" works, but if you leave it as "Search" then the Settings -> System -> Buttons options allow you to change it to whatever you want.

Top Liked Posts

@Neurotical Did you tried building for LOS19 yet? Building this with the 19.0 sources, get me stuck on the boot animation. :/
    Use arrow trees if want to boot los19. Old tree need few modifications to make bootable) usable.
    Could you please give more details? Because I'm trying to build it, but I'm keep getting stuck when doing this with los19 sources.

ArrowOS indeed boots fine. :)
    All trees are here https://github.com/ArrowOS-Devices
    you can pick the commits to your tree or just use the same trees (common tree and kernel tree)
    @Neurotical Did you tried building for LOS19 yet? Building this with the 19.0 sources, get me stuck on the boot animation. :/
    Okay I'll re-run the repo init with LOS 19.0 branch and try and compile.

EDIT: It didn't work. This will take some time to figure out.
    great work! just a question though;

why not start official support, is something missing?

edit:
    nevermind, i searched the thread and have seen your previous reply, something about your "limited skillset"

i say you've got all the lineage nuance down and probably capable of continuing official support; i'd love to help out in any way I can, I've got a dev background but android development is new to me, it'll be a great learning experience
    Good day everyone!

I have returned from a small vacation and time off caring for my newborn baby! He is healthy and well.
    I apologize for the brief hiatus, but I am back to continue providing updated kernels, security patches, and Lineage OS 18.1 for you all!

What's new since the latest version:
    Kernel: 4.9.290 -> 4.9.297
    Security patch: November 5, 2021 -> December 5, 2021 (January 5, 2022 should be out soon)

Now available via OTA or OP, as usual :)

Have a great day!
    Why don't You Maintain The ROM Officially ?.Love This ROM Very Much Hope it Gets Lineage OS 19
    I would love to maintain it officially. In fact I reached out to the Lineage team about doing just that in September last year.

They responded back outlining how there are a lot of procedures to follow, including needing a team to manage the device tree and other repos. There were also some things that me not being a programmer just can't provide like being able to independently bug fix compile errors when changes are made by the LOS team that are incompatible with the S90/S9+. Right now I rely on the community to help with these fixes and I just copy them. It's worked so far because there are, humbly, more knowledgeable people maintaining device trees than I.

That leaves me in a position where I am learning from the experts and this wonderful community in a collaborative effort to keep the LOS 18.1 going for the S9 and S9+ :)
    At first, congratulations on the new born son, I am glad to hear he is well and so are you, nice to have you back :)

I have not forgotten about the post above, and still willing to help.
    But I kind of stuck, I could not figure out what you meant exactly with your repos and the "roomservice.xml". And also could you recommend a tutorial? I have a dual boot computer with Windows and Linux, so I think it would be better to try it directly on Linux. I am not sure which tutorial I should follow exactly, would be nice if you could give me a hint where to start best :)
    Thanks so much! He's a happy baby and we are happy parents :)

Your question is a big one, so I'll start at the beginning and we can move on from there one step at a time.

I am only familiar with running Linux (Ubuntu) in a Windows virtual environment. The first step would be to install that using this guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install. The next step would be to build LOS using this official guide here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/starlte/build.

When you get to the part about extracting proprietary blobs, you can skip that and instead use a 'roomservice.xml' file. You will see that I created a 'local_manifests' repo on my Github account that houses the xml file you'll need. Download it and place it in the ~/android/lineage/.repo/local_manifests directory of your Ubuntu system. Then you should be able to start the build.

If you have any issues, please let me know and I'll do my best to share and help :)
    FYI January 15 update:

New Wireguard kernel patch upgrade:
    20210606 (June 6, 2021) -> 20211208 (December 8, 2021)
    Available via OTA or OP.

Have a great day!
    :coffee::)
    Congratulations! A very valid reason for shift in priorities :)
    2okPze5.png

ROM DOWNLOADS:

ROM INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    • From OEM:
      • Lineage Recovery
      • Format /system + /data + /cache
      • Flash
      • Reboot
      • Root is not included. To root, install Magisk yourself.
    • From existing Unofficial weekly:
      • Use OTA, or
      • Sideload via ADB in recovery

BASEBAND UPDATING:
    1. Install Samsung USB drivers
    2. Install Odin 3.14 (or later)
    3. Download updated baseband firmware from the XDA thread for your model phone.
    4. Unzip and re-pack "modem.bin" into a .tar file such as "modem.tar"
    5. Reboot phone into download mode
    6. Open Odin
    7. Load your modem.tar file into CP in Odin
    8. Start flash
    9. Reboot

CONTRIBUTORS:

SOURCE CODE:

REFERENCES:

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Stock Samsung Oneui 2 - 2.5 (Android 10) Firmware. (Bootloader + Vendor)

WORKING:
    • GPS
    • NFC
    • Wi-Fi
    • Audio
    • HDMI
    • Camera
    • Ethernet
    • Bluetooth
    • MTP/ADB
    • Encryption
    • Glove Mode
    • Android Auto
    • OTA Updates
    • Call Recording
    • Mobile Network
    • SELinux Enforcing
    • Fingerprint Sensor
    • Wireguard (via kernel)

BROKEN:
    • Iris Scanner
    • VoLTE

XDA DevDB Information
    • LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S9

Version Information
    • ROM Firmware Required: Oneui 2 - 2.5

My work will always be free for everyone to use and I will never hide anything behind a paywall.

Donations welcome!
    Bitcoin address: bc1q20p3vj9jk3fx36d23453ghcxvaxf5v3ack288g

* We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone by installing custom ROMs/kernels.
    * You do it at your own risk. You take responsibility upon yourself and are not to blame us or XDA.
    * Your warranty will likely be voided by installing custom ROMs.
    Good day,

I just want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who has tried this ROM, given feedback, and even helped out along the way! It is with all of your help that I can keep the builds coming and I look forward to doing this for as long as I can for the S9 and the S9+ :) Our community deserves the best and that only happens when we all work together :)

Have a great day, and thank you again to everyone in this community :)
    FYI:
    • Updated kernel 4.9.277
    • Wireguard kernel access persists through ROM update :)
    • Root with Magisk v23 persists through ROM update :)
    Enjoy!
    FYI, new build available via OTA and OP includes:

New kernel 4.9.286
    AOSP October 2021 security update
    Power and charger enhancements
    Full 4G set as default network protocol

Enjoy!
    A couple of questions as I am somewhat new:
    1. Why is this build unofficial resp. what is preventing this build to become official again (as starlte official was discontinued after LOS 17.1)?
    2. How trustworthy is an unofficial build compared to an official build?
    With regards to safety and trustworthiness:
    • Everything is open source so anyone can see what is going into the all the builds. This includes the kernel, Lineage OS, and Samsung device trees. These links are in the OP.
    • I don't make any changes of my own because I am not knowledgeable enough to do that, but I do copy kernel patches from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team run by Linus and Greg for the 4.9y branch; I can at least bug-test and roll them into the weekly ROM builds. Linus & Greg pretty much head up Linux entirely, so the patches they approve are as trustworthy as you can get :D
    • I also got the Wireguard kernel patch into this build, which is pretty awesome, but without the help of the contributors in the OP, I really wouldn't have been able to do it on my own.
    With regards to making it official:
    • I was using the official Lineage OS, but when the support for official status was dropped, I started learning how to build Lineage for unsupported devices. Then I came across Synt4x's repos, which gave me all the resources needed to build Lineage 18.1 for the S9 and S9+. I simply maintain kernel patches that come out weekly by the Linux Long-term Maintenance team (Linus & Greg et al.), work with the community here to maintain the device trees, and then compile the builds as often as needed.
    • After I got the hang of all this, I figured everyone who has an S9 or S9+ should be able to benefit form Lineage OS 18.1 support. These phones have great hardware and I think it a shame not to allow users the option to de-google it or take full control of it so soon after it has been released. Besides, the 4.9y kernel is going to be maintained until 2023. So I upgraded from a 3600 to a 5900x and 16gb RAM to 32gb RAM to speed up the builds (each build is only about 8 minutes now) and support the community!
    • I would like to see an official build, but I can't maintain it all by myself. I am not a programmer, and most of the code I look at is jibberish to me; I just trust the Linux team and Lineage OS team. So we need the community here to help me with build errors when the Lineage team makes changes to their OS; I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to tackle those problems on my own. But I am learning, and have successfully tackled two compile errors so far with the help of the community, and I've learned from them :D
    What you will get with this build, even though it is unofficial is:
    • Kernel updates straight from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team; this is very official and safe;
    • AOSP security patches straight from the Lineage group; this is very official and safe;
    • Lineage OS updates as they roll out; this is very official and safe;
    I literally can't do anything else because of my limited skillset.