• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][S9+/S9][UNOFFICIAL][LineageOS 18.1][Weekly]

Search This thread

moe61

Oct 29, 2008
Hey Neurotical,

thanks for your great work to revive the Galaxy S9+.

Since I'm interested in building images myself but have never done so can you nudge me in the right direction on how to build Android images for the S9+? Would be very grateful for that.

murtzsch

May 10, 2014

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
thank you very much for yourwork neurotical

only one problem, voice quality and volume are very very bad when using a bluetooth headset
tested 2 different bt-hs on a stock android and ios phone, crystal clear voice
Thanks so much for the feedback tommyvirus. I'll try and look into this, but in the meantime perhaps you can explore some of the different Bluetooth codecs in the developer options settings menu. Please feel free to share any discoveries you may find with us in this thread.

Hi guys,
Would like to install it on my S9 (eyxnos) but the use of wifi calls (vowifi) is very important for me.
I saw that volte is not working but could you confirm vowifi is ok ?
Hi vebrruyer. VOLTE and VOWIFI are broken on Samsung roms as these are proprietary to Samsung. See this comment.

Last edited:

tommyvirus

Dec 8, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Thanks so much for the feedback tommyvirus. I'll try and look into this, but in the meantime perhaps you can explore some of the different Bluetooth codecs in the developer options settings menu. Please feel free to share any discoveries you may find with us in this thread.

Hi vebrruyer. VOLTE and VOWIFI are broken on Samsung roms as these are proprietary to Samsung. See this comment.
thank you for your reply, tried every bt setting in dev
aptx hd is on, sound/music quality is perfect, only voice nearly unusable
other custom roms like rr, crdroid, arrow or dotos have exact same issue, only stock rom has perfect voice quality

right now im on stock vendor, twrp 3.5.2 9.0 and of course your great rom :)

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for your help murtzsch. I have been able to update Wireguard kernel patch to the most recent version 20210606. It's available via OTA right now in a ROM update. All commits are in my kernel log.

Screenshot_20210729-220631_WireGuard.png

Last edited:

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
Is it possible to change screen resolution with that ROM?
The stock one allows you to set 1480x720(HD+), 2220x1080(FHD+) and 2960x1440(WQHD+)
  1. Enable USB debugging via developer options
  2. With phone running normally, use cmd prompt in Windows:
    adb shell wm size 1440x2560 (Change res accordingly)
  3. adb shell wm size reset (Reset res to default)

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
OTA does not get the latest updates

Are you using an s9+?
I may have forgotten to update the strings.xml in the S9+ before compile in the July 28th version... But you can always adb sideload the most recent version from the OP, which should have an updated strings.xml allowing for future OTA updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: moe61

aureljared

May 2, 2013
jared.gq
  1. Enable USB debugging via developer options
  2. With phone running normally, use cmd prompt in Windows:
    adb shell wm size 1440x2560 (Change res accordingly)
  3. adb shell wm size reset (Reset res to default)
To add to this: if you use 2220x1080 (FHD+) and find the UI to be too large, do adb shell wm density 411 to set the screen density to 411dp, same as stock One UI. Downside being the boot animation will be improperly scaled and some apps such as Gmail might show wrongly sized graphics, but otherwise it works like a charm.

Reactions: Neurotical

steven12821

Aug 27, 2017
Im still relatively new to rom flashing, ive tried flashing with twrp and the provided recovery following the instructions and get rebooted to download mode every time what am i doing wrong?

Neurotical

Feb 7, 2011
In the latest S9+ build the lineage.updater.uri props points to the wrong address. It has Synt4x.93 OTA address in it.

TREMENDOUS THANK YOU for finding this!

The bug has been fixed for the next build. See this commit for tracking 😀

The OP has been updated with a July 31, 2021 build. Please ADB sideload it for OTA to work going forward 😀

Top Liked Posts

Battery life improved dramatically on my device with the last build, almost 2 days, Great ROM!!
    This is absolutely amazing! I am so happy the ROM is working as intended. Thanks for your interest, feedback and support!

Thanks to the developers, got my hands on a s9 and installed this and it seems great.
    Also I've installed pico open gapps and had no problems

Any reccomendations on best camera app? maybe a link? s9 exynos version
    I use Open Camera. It gets the job done with a modest amount of features.
    FYI, new build available via OTA and OP includes:

New kernel 4.9.286
    AOSP October 2021 security update
    Power and charger enhancements
    Full 4G set as default network protocol

Enjoy!
    FYI:

New kernel 4.9.284 now available!
    Please update via OTA or download ROM via OP.

Have a nice day!
    FYI:

New kernel 4.9.283 now available!
    Please update via OTA or download ROM via OP.
    Have a nice day!

:):coffee::geek:
    Hi, I have todays release update installed. However, I do not see any wireguard settings or menus. Have I missed something?
    You have to install the Wireguard app. There you will see that the kernel module is installed.
    Sorry for the S9+ novice question.
    Would this rom work on a G965N Exnyos Korean model?
    I only know that this ROM is designed for the S9 Exynos and S9+ Exynos. Snapdragon is not compatible.
    2okPze5.png

ROM DOWNLOADS:

ROM INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    • From OEM:
      • Lineage Recovery
      • Format /system + /data + /cache
      • Flash
      • Reboot
      • Root is not included. To root, install Magisk yourself.
    • From existing Unofficial weekly:
      • Use OTA, or
      • Sideload via ADB in recovery

BASEBAND UPDATING:
    1. Install Samsung USB drivers
    2. Install Odin 3.14 (or later)
    3. Download updated baseband firmware from the XDA thread for your model phone.
    4. Unzip and re-pack "modem.bin" into a .tar file such as "modem.tar"
    5. Reboot phone into download mode
    6. Open Odin
    7. Load your modem.tar file into CP in Odin
    8. Start flash
    9. Reboot

CONTRIBUTORS:

SOURCE CODE:

REFERENCES:

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Stock Samsung Oneui 2 - 2.5 (Android 10) Firmware. (Bootloader + Vendor)

WORKING:
    • GPS
    • NFC
    • Wi-Fi
    • Audio
    • HDMI
    • Camera
    • Ethernet
    • Bluetooth
    • MTP/ADB
    • Encryption
    • Glove Mode
    • Android Auto
    • OTA Updates
    • Call Recording
    • Mobile Network
    • SELinux Enforcing
    • Fingerprint Sensor
    • Wireguard (via kernel)

BROKEN:
    • Iris Scanner
    • VoLTE

XDA DevDB Information
    • LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S9

Version Information
    • ROM Firmware Required: Oneui 2 - 2.5

My work will always be free for everyone to use and I will never hide anything behind a paywall.

* We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone by installing custom ROMs/kernels.
    * You do it at your own risk. You take responsibility upon yourself and are not to blame us or XDA.
    * Your warranty will likely be voided by installing custom ROMs.
    Good day,

I just want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who has tried this ROM, given feedback, and even helped out along the way! It is with all of your help that I can keep the builds coming and I look forward to doing this for as long as I can for the S9 and the S9+ :) Our community deserves the best and that only happens when we all work together :)

Have a great day, and thank you again to everyone in this community :)
    A couple of questions as I am somewhat new:
    1. Why is this build unofficial resp. what is preventing this build to become official again (as starlte official was discontinued after LOS 17.1)?
    2. How trustworthy is an unofficial build compared to an official build?
    With regards to safety and trustworthiness:
    • Everything is open source so anyone can see what is going into the all the builds. This includes the kernel, Lineage OS, and Samsung device trees. These links are in the OP.
    • I don't make any changes of my own because I am not knowledgeable enough to do that, but I do copy kernel patches from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team run by Linus and Greg for the 4.9y branch; I can at least bug-test and roll them into the weekly ROM builds. Linus & Greg pretty much head up Linux entirely, so the patches they approve are as trustworthy as you can get :D
    • I also got the Wireguard kernel patch into this build, which is pretty awesome, but without the help of the contributors in the OP, I really wouldn't have been able to do it on my own.
    With regards to making it official:
    • I was using the official Lineage OS, but when the support for official status was dropped, I started learning how to build Lineage for unsupported devices. Then I came across Synt4x's repos, which gave me all the resources needed to build Lineage 18.1 for the S9 and S9+. I simply maintain kernel patches that come out weekly by the Linux Long-term Maintenance team (Linus & Greg et al.), work with the community here to maintain the device trees, and then compile the builds as often as needed.
    • After I got the hang of all this, I figured everyone who has an S9 or S9+ should be able to benefit form Lineage OS 18.1 support. These phones have great hardware and I think it a shame not to allow users the option to de-google it or take full control of it so soon after it has been released. Besides, the 4.9y kernel is going to be maintained until 2023. So I upgraded from a 3600 to a 5900x and 16gb RAM to 32gb RAM to speed up the builds (each build is only about 8 minutes now) and support the community!
    • I would like to see an official build, but I can't maintain it all by myself. I am not a programmer, and most of the code I look at is jibberish to me; I just trust the Linux team and Lineage OS team. So we need the community here to help me with build errors when the Lineage team makes changes to their OS; I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to tackle those problems on my own. But I am learning, and have successfully tackled two compile errors so far with the help of the community, and I've learned from them :D
    What you will get with this build, even though it is unofficial is:
    • Kernel updates straight from the Linux Long-term Maintenance team; this is very official and safe;
    • AOSP security patches straight from the Lineage group; this is very official and safe;
    • Lineage OS updates as they roll out; this is very official and safe;
    I literally can't do anything else because of my limited skillset.
    FYI:
    • Updated kernel 4.9.277
    • Wireguard kernel access persists through ROM update :)
    • Root with Magisk v23 persists through ROM update :)
    Enjoy!
    FYI, new build available via OTA and OP includes:

New kernel 4.9.286
    AOSP October 2021 security update
    Power and charger enhancements
    Full 4G set as default network protocol

Enjoy!