• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Sargo] Ubuntu Touch for Google Pixel 3a

Search This thread

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
devices-bq-aquaris-main.png

A Mobile Version of the Ubuntu Operating System
Ubuntu Touch is made and maintained by the UBports Community. A group of volunteers and passionate people across the world. With Ubuntu Touch we offer a truly unique mobile experience - an alternative to the current most popular operating systems on the market. We believe that everyone is free to use, study, share and improve all software created by the foundation without restrictions. Whenever possible, everything is distributed under free and open source licenses endorsed by the Free Software Foundation, the Open Source Initiative.

For more information check out the UBports website.

Known issues:
  • During installation finding the device in recovery mode takes some time. Use the "Try again" button frequently until it is found by the UBports Installer.
  • Under active investigation: Sometimes the device loses data signal without indication. In this case the device needs a reboot.
  • Even though GPS should work it might take a long time to get a GPS fix on location requests.
  • Bluetooth calls miss working microphone routing.
  • WIFI usage drains the battery.

Contribute:
Please join @UBports_Porting on Telegram for more.

Prerequisites:
  • Factory image PQ3B.190801.002

Instructions (tested on Ubuntu 20.04):

Links:
Kernel source: GitHub
Device tree: GitHub

Last edited:

dev1334

Oct 21, 2018
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to get support, but I didn't see any other place linked for support.
I am wondering if Visible (Verizon MVNO) should be working with this? I cannot get it to work with my pixel.
Also, I tried the update commands, but when I rebooted directly after running the commands I couldn't boot.

Thanks!

nylar357

May 23, 2018
holon.is
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Hows the development going on this? I'm a linux only use. Ubuntu 20.04 | OpenboxWM as my daily driver & Various Security Distros (info sec professionally). I've been extremely interested to see this project when it comes to fruition. Also can you leave a link to a community site? I'd love to get involved with the project.

Duhjoker

My pixel 3a will not boot this. I have tried several times and I even still have the rootfs.img and android.img still in my data partition but it won't boot it just goes to the Google splash and stays

Also fastboot format:ext4 userdata gives me an error

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
News flash: the Google Pixel 3a is now part of the official UBports installer!
The instructions have been updated and should be easier to follow now, please give it a try again!

@nylar357 what are you interested in? I can link you to the right people, or find out yourself here: https://ubports.com/en/join-us

Duhjoker

I've been trying to install Ubuntu touch to my pixel 3a now for days and no progress. The installer gets stuck at preparing system image and will run for hours. Also tried using the gsi installer with no luck. I've followed instructions to a t

FrogDispenser

Jan 4, 2021
I managed to get UBPorts installed and working on my pixel 3a, but calls, SMS, and cell data are all not working. My service provider is Verizon. Anyone happen to know why this is the case? Thanks.

AdamIsYou

Mar 14, 2011
I had to change the APN field in "4G LTE Contract" to 'vzwinternet' and that got data working, but when I try to do the same for the APN field in "MMS" it's not saving what I enter.

Did you set it up as “Internet and MMS” or two separate settings?
You’ll want to set up both together. Be sure to delete your old ones, and make sure the box is checked.
If MMS still doesn’t work, I saw somewhere somebody used factory image PD2A.190115.029 instead of the one specified above and had some success. I believe MMS not working may be a known issue though.

Last edited:

dev1334

Oct 21, 2018
Hi. I'm posting again because I never got a response. I'd like to use ubuntu, but my texting, calling, and cellular data refuse to work on this port. I have a pixel 3a (with a Visible (Verizon MVNO) sim right now). It simply says "Denied" when trying to connect to the cellular network. Not sure what to do..Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    devices-bq-aquaris-main.png

A Mobile Version of the Ubuntu Operating System
    Ubuntu Touch is made and maintained by the UBports Community. A group of volunteers and passionate people across the world. With Ubuntu Touch we offer a truly unique mobile experience - an alternative to the current most popular operating systems on the market. We believe that everyone is free to use, study, share and improve all software created by the foundation without restrictions. Whenever possible, everything is distributed under free and open source licenses endorsed by the Free Software Foundation, the Open Source Initiative.

For more information check out the UBports website.

Known issues:
    • During installation finding the device in recovery mode takes some time. Use the "Try again" button frequently until it is found by the UBports Installer.
    • Under active investigation: Sometimes the device loses data signal without indication. In this case the device needs a reboot.
    • Even though GPS should work it might take a long time to get a GPS fix on location requests.
    • Bluetooth calls miss working microphone routing.
    • WIFI usage drains the battery.

Contribute:
    Please join @UBports_Porting on Telegram for more.

Prerequisites:
    • Factory image PQ3B.190801.002

Instructions (tested on Ubuntu 20.04):

Links:
    Kernel source: GitHub
    Device tree: GitHub