seeARMS' Bell UGJL2 Custom ROM
02/13/11: v0.4 is released! Major overhaul: allowed for a customizable install. Users are now able to select their preferred kernel, modem, theme, applications, etc!
01/19/11: v0.3 is out folks. Updated the kernel, updated a few apps, and (hopefully) fixed the WiFi. See the full changelog for more info.
01/12/11: Improved Beta, v0.2 released! Better battery life and speed, new kernel (Super Optimized), improved update script.
01/09/11: Initial beta release, v0.1
Welcome to seeARMS' JL2-based custom ROM. The essential purpose of this ROM is to provide a fast, functional ROM for those who are wishing to run JL2. Basically every other custom ROM out there is a variant of JPY, and that's great, but what about those seeking a different base? I chose JL2 because frankly I wanted to stick to a firmware which my provider, Bell, has actually released, not an unofficial ROM created by Samsung.
This is a ROM which aims to be fast without sacrificing any necessary features or software, as well as similar to stock firmware but without all the bloatware Samsung has included. This ROM includes many tweaks and bug fixes which creates a high-performance phone with a long lasting battery.
It's also running the newest Bell firmware, UGJL2 (Froyo v2.2). This allows us Canadian users (which seem to get ignored quite often - no other JL2 custom ROMs!?) to have our precious 850MHz band back, while sticking with an officially released ROM base.
If you have any questions prior, while, or after installing this ROM, please read the first few posts, as I'll try to address every possible (major) problem which can occur. If, after reading the posts, you are still encountering a problem, please reply to this thread being as detailed as possible. This allows me to fix problems quickly and easily. Also, I encourage you to post your opinions and comments; it's a beta, and as such, I'll be improving the ROM in future releases.
Note: Please don't complain about Quadrant, Linpack, or any other pointless benchmark scores. If you've used the ROM and it's sluggish, by all means tell me, but don't base your opinion of the speed merely on a benchmark.
Okay, so what else?
1. Download and Install Instructions
2. Changelog, To-Do
3. FAQ And Common Problems
4. Screenshots, Media, User Comments
- Based on UGJL2 (Bell Froyo 2.2) [850MHz band, Bell base!]
- Choice between Super Optimized Kernel and SpeedMod [Voodoo sound, sharpness + color, BLN, overclockable, lagfix, faster, better battery!]
- Steam multi-touch recovery: update.zip on SD card [New, enhanced recovery!]
- Added an error-checking script which prevents errors when installing [Ensures the installation goes as smoothly as possible]
- 3 Launchers - Gingerbread, Stock, Launcher Pro
- 3 Keyboards - Gingerbread, Stock, Swype (w/ French Canadian)
- Fully deodexed [Easily Themable]
- Fully zipaligned [Better RAM Usage]
- Fully updated Google Apps (YouTube, Flash, Market, Gmail, Maps)
- Latest Su and Busybox [Preinstalled, no extra effort required]
- All protected apps in market visible - modified build.prop
- Big APN list, which allows instant internet + MMS access
- Integrated Custom ClockworkMod Recovery
- Stock AOSP Lockscreen [with the option to use default samsung]
- Backlight Notifications
- Buddies Now
- All Share
- Write and Go
- ThinkFree Office
- Mini Diary
Credits (in no particular order)
-laststufo for the kernel
-sztupzy for the Steam recovery
If you like this ROM and are interested in supporting me, then a simple "Thanks" would suffice. Also, please try to help out others on the XDA forums - we were all newbs once, and it's quite overwhelming, being introduced to everything Android.
Oh, and the mandatory, "like my work, buy me a beer" way of supporting would also be cool.