[ROM] Sero 7 Pro - AOSP 6.0.1 - DoPa6 v1-bld3

Search This thread

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
DoPa6 v1 build 3 is the Marshmallow ROM for Sero 7 Pro owners worldwide.

This build, based on AOSP 6.0.1 r43, focuses on features that must be built in and can't be added on such as selective overclocking and multiple formatting options for your SDcards.

For those who want to customize the ROM's look and feel, Xposed and Gravity Box come pre-installed to provide all the tweaks you want - and none of the ones you don't.

DoPa6 also offers a companion build of TWRP v3.0.2 (DoPa6 v2). Based on Marshmallow code, this new version offers an updated look and feel plus a few Sero 7-specific tweaks.

Installation
  • backup your data so you can easily return to your current ROM
  • - initial installation: wipe your '/data' partition (a "Factory reset" in TWRP will work)
    - upgrade from previous DoPa6: no need to wipe or format anything
  • install sero7pro-aosp601-dopa6-v1-bld3.zip
  • install your choice of Gapps packages
  • (optional)install the Nexus 7 spoof
  • reboot
  • Note: after using this ROM, TWRP 2.8.7 will report that it can't mount '/thirdparty'. This is to be expected since that partition is now used for swap space. You can safely ignore this warning. (TWRP 3.0.2 does not have this problem.)
Important: please do not report any bugs you encounter the first time you boot-up after installation. Instead, please reboot then see if the problem persists. If so, let me know so I can (try to) fix it.

Downgrade

If you decide to return to a previous version of a DoPa ROM (i.e. Kitkat or Lollipop) after using DoPa6, you must reformat the '/thirdparty' partition as ext4. This will restore compatibility with the older version - without it, previous versions won't boot. You can do so directly using TWRP 3.0.2 or by installing sero7pro-format-thirdparty.zip (links below).

Notes
  • Memory Features - users can enable/disable key memory features to suit their needs. Open Settings->Performance->Configure RAM options and change these items as appropriate:
    • Dynamic fsync - cache writes to flash memory until the screen goes off [excessive memory use]
    • Kernel same-page merge - scan for and merge blocks of kernel memory that have the same content [overhead]
    • Disk-based swap file - use the '/thirdparty' partition to add 256mb of virtual memory [possible i/o contention]
    • Low-ram mode - employ the memory-saving tactics normally used on a device with only 512mb of memory [reduced graphics capabilities]
    • Low-ram graphics - reenables accelerated drawing that low-ram mode disables [significant increase in RAM usage]
    Note: all of the system properties used by previous versions to set these features are now obsolete and have been removed from 'build.prop'; do not restore them.
  • ADB Over WiFi - to access ADB with having to install any drivers, open Settings->Performance and check "Enable ADB access via WiFi". At a command prompt/terminal, run "adb connect <your.tablet's.ip.address>". You should now be able to run any adb command. Note that this setting is not saved: ADB Over WiFi will be disabled when you reboot.
  • External Storage - this ROM now supports two types of external storage:
    • portable - your sdcard is used for storing non-secure data (music, photos, etc.). It remains compatible with any device that supports the filesystem you've chosen.
    • adoptable - the sdcard becomes your "internal sdcard": besides storing app data and media, you can also move entire apps to the card. Because the card is encrypted, it is incompatible with any other device.
    The first time you insert a card, there is an option in the Notifications pull-down to set up the card. Alternately, you can open Settings->Storage and USB, select the card, then tap the menu button for setup options. If you choose Format as internal, the card will be formatted F2FS and encrypted; you'll then be given the opportunity to move your data to it. Choosing the Format option displays a screen that lets you choose the filesystem to be used (fat32, exfat, ntfs, f2fs, or ext4). Be aware that both options repartition the card and destroy all existing data on it.
  • Multi-Window - To enable it, open Settings->Developer Options, then scroll down to the "Drawing" section. Multi-window mode is the last item in that category.
Known Bugs
  • Encryption - attempts to encrypt the '/data' partition will fail but no data is lost because the process never really gets started; the problem appears to lie in the kernel and may take a while to resolve
  • Large SDcards - Class 10 32gb and 64gb sdcards may not be recognized or may be reported to be corrupt; this issue was also reported for Lollipop
  • Bluetooth - Bluetooth Low Energy profiles are not supported
Downloads
GPL Notice: the source code for this kernel is available at https://github.com/dolorespark/android_kernel_hisense_m470bsa on the 'master' branch.

Last edited:

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
Changelog

v0 bld 8
* new: easy access to ADB over WiFi
* new: user control over key memory features such as swapping
* changed: restored ArchiDroid build optimizations used in DoPa5
* changed: reverted to original kernel due to Bluetooth and WiFi Display issues

v0 bld 7
* new: upgraded kernel to use networking code from Linux 3.4

v0 bld 6
* new: converted the unused '/thirdparty' partition into a dedicated 256mb swap partition
* new: Xposed and Gravity Box are now pre-installed
* enhanced: choose any filesystem when reformatting an SDcard from "adoptable" to "portable" storage
* bugfix: the flashlight/torch quick-settings tile would only work once per session

v0 bld 5
* new: format an external SDcard using any of the 5 supported filesystems from within the Settings app
* bugfix: screen rotation failed to work if the tablet wasn't charging

v0 bld 4
* new: extended SDcard/USB storage support to include ntfs, ext4, and f2fs

v0 bld 3
* bugfix: a regression prevented using an SDcard as "adoptable" storage
* bugfix: an empty MTP device appeared on a PC even when the tablet was set to "charge-only"

v0 bld 2
* new: all Bluetooth features work except BT-Low Energy

v0 bld 1
* new: major updates to the kernel to support mount namespaces - external storage now works

v0 bld 0
* initial release: most hardware features work except external storage and Bluetooth

Last edited:

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Nice. I am behind on stuff due to being sick the past few weeks so I'll install this build and see what I notice within the next day or two. I do wonder perhaps since the Nexus 7 (Grouper) has semi official MM that stuff like Bluetooth, DRM, etc can be fixed from that source?

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
perhaps since the Nexus 7 (Grouper) has semi official MM that stuff like Bluetooth, DRM, etc can be fixed from that source?

Not necessarily. We're working from the same source code but in most cases the hardware is different. For BT, the hardware is the same (BCM4330) but the firmware is different. I tried using the N7's firmware and that eliminated the crashes - but it wouldn't connect to anything, so that wasn't much help. As to DRM, I haven't read of any problems but that could just mean that no one has tried. At some point I'll try swapping in some of their proprietary files (as I've done in the past) and see if that fixes anything.

Speaking of fixes... I made some massive changes to the kernel and now have external storage working (this took at least 60 hours to achieve). Once I have exFat support in place, I'll release an update.

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Not necessarily. We're working from the same source code but in most cases the hardware is different. For BT, the hardware is the same (BCM4330) but the firmware is different. I tried using the N7's firmware and that eliminated the crashes - but it wouldn't connect to anything, so that wasn't much help.

I'll get some logs once the next version is out and see maybe if those error messages when connecting BT devices might help out. :)

kc12

Aug 10, 2013
Sarasota
I can't get the update to flash. I get to the lockscreen, swipe to open, and all I can get is a black screen and the error message " unfortunately setup wizard has stopped". I've reflashed a couple times.

kc12

Aug 10, 2013
Sarasota
Ok. I got it flash. It took 17 min. to boot up. I could of fried an egg on the back of my tablet. But it's fine now! :laugh: runs great.

Thanks! Looks great!

Bones519

Sep 12, 2012
So, do we know if xposed and gravity box works on this build yet?

Edit: Never mind. I don't suppose there will be a Gravity Box for Marshmallow for a while. :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
v0 build2 released

Now that everything works (sorta), DoPa6 - Marshmallow for the Sero 7 Pro - has entered its beta-testing phase. It would be really helpful if you could try it out and tell me what glitches you encounter.

For example, I know that Launcher FCs when you rotate the tablet, and that the "Memory" figures displayed in the Settings app are all wrong, but what else? Does the thing spontaneously reboot? Is WiFi unreliable? Do apps lag? Et cetera, et cetera...

Truth is, I spend so much time screwing with the thing that I don't get to use it as much as you do. If it doesn't generate an error message in a logcat, I might never know something's wrong. :)

yanu

Apr 1, 2010
Auto-rotate issue

dolorespark - Thanks for the great rom. I'm really impressed with what this older hardware can do.

The only issue I'm seeing right now is that my auto-rotate only works occasionally. I originally noticed this problem with build 1 and I'm using build 2 and the problem is still there. If I switch from portrait to landscape the display will not turn. If I turn off the tablet while it's in portrait and power it back on in landscape it will display in landscape. When I originally noticed this I thought that the sensor might have stopped working but I used a hardware info app and I can see the changes as I rotate the tablet. I don't know if any logs would help with this but I'm willing to try if you need them.

jachol

Apr 23, 2012
NW England
Hi,

Over the week-end I had a brief try with your marshmallow ROM, it apparently installed OK, and appeared to be running fine once it settled down after a couple of
reboots.

There was an oddball thing happened though which may not be relative to your build (could be other causes) ... Marshmallow took a dislike to my 64GB SD card I got a

message saying the card had not been prepared, and did I want to do this ? (or words to that effect), I OK'd the preparation and it did it's stuff, next I had a

pop-up saying the card couldn't mount as it was corrupted (it had been OK when running in lollipop). At first it appeared as if the card was a write off, but I eventually got it

restored after running Chkdsk /R on the windows PC, strange thing is now it wont mount in the Sero 7, but mounts OK in 2 separate allwinner tablets we have in family,

2 separate identical SD cards do mount no problems in the Sero 7. (now back on Lollipop).

I think you said initially that there was problems with storage, could my issue be down to that ?.

I liked what I saw of marshmallow (great on this older hardware), but admit I didn't spend much more time on assessment of it, I was diverted into recovering the SD

card, and as I've said restored my Lollipop backup. ... J.

Last edited:

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
The only issue I'm seeing right now is that my auto-rotate only works occasionally. [...] I thought that the sensor might have stopped working but I used a hardware info app and I can see the changes as I rotate the tablet.

Everyone with a Nexus 7 has been reporting this problem. I've only seen it once when I killed the Launcher while in Settings->Apps but I haven't been able to reproduce it. As mentioned in the OP, I get FC's in Launcher when I rotate. However, I've found an odd "cure"...

I wanted to see if the FC problem was specific to Launcher3 or more generic, so I installed Apex. After switching to it, I was able to rotate without problem, so I went back to stock and discovered that the problem had disappeared. Even after I uninstalled Apex and cleared Launcher3's data so I was back to the default home screen, I didn't get any FCs

There was an oddball thing happened though which may not be relative to your build (could be other causes) ... Marshmallow took a dislike to my 64GB SD card

I don't think this is new. Several people mentioned intermittent problems with 64GB sdcards on Lollipop (Samsung in particular, IIRC). This is one thing I can't test because I don't have (or need) anything bigger than 16GB. Sorry...

yanu

Apr 1, 2010
Everyone with a Nexus 7 has been reporting this problem. I've only seen it once when I killed the Launcher while in Settings->Apps but I haven't been able to reproduce it. As mentioned in the OP, I get FC's in Launcher when I rotate. However, I've found an odd "cure"...

I wanted to see if the FC problem was specific to Launcher3 or more generic, so I installed Apex. After switching to it, I was able to rotate without problem, so I went back to stock and discovered that the problem had disappeared. Even after I uninstalled Apex and cleared Launcher3's data so I was back to the default home screen, I didn't get any FCs

I loaded Apex and auto-rotate still doesn't work. I installed 'Rotation Control' which allows me to easily rotate the display so I can live with it for now. I haven't seen any FC's in the Launcher or anything else at this point.

jachol

Apr 23, 2012
NW England
E
I don't think this is new. Several people mentioned intermittent problems with 64GB sdcards on Lollipop (Samsung in particular, IIRC). This is one thing I can't test because I don't have (or need) anything bigger than 16GB. Sorry...
Thanks ,,, no problem point taken, and thinking back I agree. SD card soon fills up when you store video files as I do that's the main reason for the 64GB card.

I'm more curious re. why this card will no longer mount in the Sero 7 when identical cards do, ideas anyone ?. ... J. :confused:

splatdotsplat

Mar 28, 2007
External Storage - this ROM now supports two types of external storage:
* conventional - your sdcard is used for storing data - currently only Fat32 and exFat are supported
* adoptable - the sdcard becomes an extension of internal storage and can store apps and data. The first time you insert a card, there is an option in the Notifications pull-down to set this up. Alternately, you can open Settings->Storage and USB, select the card, then tap the menu button for setup options. Note that the card gets formatted and encrypted, and can't be used with any other device until reformatted.

I never got the prompt nor do I have the setup option for the adoptable, all that is in the menu/settings is Eject and Format, am I missing something?

Garrett

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DoPa6 v1 build 3 is the Marshmallow ROM for Sero 7 Pro owners worldwide.

This build, based on AOSP 6.0.1 r43, focuses on features that must be built in and can't be added on such as selective overclocking and multiple formatting options for your SDcards.

For those who want to customize the ROM's look and feel, Xposed and Gravity Box come pre-installed to provide all the tweaks you want - and none of the ones you don't.

DoPa6 also offers a companion build of TWRP v3.0.2 (DoPa6 v2). Based on Marshmallow code, this new version offers an updated look and feel plus a few Sero 7-specific tweaks.

Installation
    • backup your data so you can easily return to your current ROM
    • - initial installation: wipe your '/data' partition (a "Factory reset" in TWRP will work)
      - upgrade from previous DoPa6: no need to wipe or format anything
    • install sero7pro-aosp601-dopa6-v1-bld3.zip
    • install your choice of Gapps packages
    • (optional)install the Nexus 7 spoof
    • reboot
    • Note: after using this ROM, TWRP 2.8.7 will report that it can't mount '/thirdparty'. This is to be expected since that partition is now used for swap space. You can safely ignore this warning. (TWRP 3.0.2 does not have this problem.)
    Important: please do not report any bugs you encounter the first time you boot-up after installation. Instead, please reboot then see if the problem persists. If so, let me know so I can (try to) fix it.

Downgrade

If you decide to return to a previous version of a DoPa ROM (i.e. Kitkat or Lollipop) after using DoPa6, you must reformat the '/thirdparty' partition as ext4. This will restore compatibility with the older version - without it, previous versions won't boot. You can do so directly using TWRP 3.0.2 or by installing sero7pro-format-thirdparty.zip (links below).

Notes
    • Memory Features - users can enable/disable key memory features to suit their needs. Open Settings->Performance->Configure RAM options and change these items as appropriate:
      • Dynamic fsync - cache writes to flash memory until the screen goes off [excessive memory use]
      • Kernel same-page merge - scan for and merge blocks of kernel memory that have the same content [overhead]
      • Disk-based swap file - use the '/thirdparty' partition to add 256mb of virtual memory [possible i/o contention]
      • Low-ram mode - employ the memory-saving tactics normally used on a device with only 512mb of memory [reduced graphics capabilities]
      • Low-ram graphics - reenables accelerated drawing that low-ram mode disables [significant increase in RAM usage]
      Note: all of the system properties used by previous versions to set these features are now obsolete and have been removed from 'build.prop'; do not restore them.
    • ADB Over WiFi - to access ADB with having to install any drivers, open Settings->Performance and check "Enable ADB access via WiFi". At a command prompt/terminal, run "adb connect <your.tablet's.ip.address>". You should now be able to run any adb command. Note that this setting is not saved: ADB Over WiFi will be disabled when you reboot.
    • External Storage - this ROM now supports two types of external storage:
      • portable - your sdcard is used for storing non-secure data (music, photos, etc.). It remains compatible with any device that supports the filesystem you've chosen.
      • adoptable - the sdcard becomes your "internal sdcard": besides storing app data and media, you can also move entire apps to the card. Because the card is encrypted, it is incompatible with any other device.
      The first time you insert a card, there is an option in the Notifications pull-down to set up the card. Alternately, you can open Settings->Storage and USB, select the card, then tap the menu button for setup options. If you choose Format as internal, the card will be formatted F2FS and encrypted; you'll then be given the opportunity to move your data to it. Choosing the Format option displays a screen that lets you choose the filesystem to be used (fat32, exfat, ntfs, f2fs, or ext4). Be aware that both options repartition the card and destroy all existing data on it.
    • Multi-Window - To enable it, open Settings->Developer Options, then scroll down to the "Drawing" section. Multi-window mode is the last item in that category.
    Known Bugs
    • Encryption - attempts to encrypt the '/data' partition will fail but no data is lost because the process never really gets started; the problem appears to lie in the kernel and may take a while to resolve
    • Large SDcards - Class 10 32gb and 64gb sdcards may not be recognized or may be reported to be corrupt; this issue was also reported for Lollipop
    • Bluetooth - Bluetooth Low Energy profiles are not supported
    Downloads
    GPL Notice: the source code for this kernel is available at https://github.com/dolorespark/android_kernel_hisense_m470bsa on the 'master' branch.
    DoPa 6 v1 build 3

DoPa 6 v1 build 3 is now available along with an updated version of my Gapps nano package. This release upgrades the ROM to Android 6.0.1_r43; an update to Xposed is also included.
    Still Alive and Interested

I haven't posted in a while so I wanted to let you know that I'm still doing development for the S7P.

In particular, I've been building the AOSP versions of the "N Preview". While this doesn't have any of the newly-added features of the next version of Android, it gives me a chance to work out issues with the build process, new SELinux restrictions, and the like. Hopefully, this will give me a head start in turning out the final product when it is released in a few months.

Meanwhile... I see a number of new participants in this thread, some of whom seem to be having installation issues. I'm sorry to see that you're having these problems - and glad to see that others are stepping up to help you resolve them. Please understand that none of the issues reported in the last few weeks are typical - most of us have been using this ROM for months trouble-free.

Sadly, tired hardware, lax manufacturing standards, undiagnosed bugs, and the occasional user error are usually at the root of this problem or that. Like others, I can only suggest that you re-download the latest versions, wipe the entire slate clean, and retry. Before you reboot that first time, remove any external SDcard, along with any cables that may be attached. Once booted up, go through the Setup Wizard (assuming you installed a Gapps package), let it sit idle for up to 5 minutes, then reboot before installing any apps or tweaking any settings.

If nothing else seems to work for you, you may want to consider installing an earlier version which may not tax your hardware quite so much.
    perhaps since the Nexus 7 (Grouper) has semi official MM that stuff like Bluetooth, DRM, etc can be fixed from that source?

Not necessarily. We're working from the same source code but in most cases the hardware is different. For BT, the hardware is the same (BCM4330) but the firmware is different. I tried using the N7's firmware and that eliminated the crashes - but it wouldn't connect to anything, so that wasn't much help. As to DRM, I haven't read of any problems but that could just mean that no one has tried. At some point I'll try swapping in some of their proprietary files (as I've done in the past) and see if that fixes anything.

Speaking of fixes... I made some massive changes to the kernel and now have external storage working (this took at least 60 hours to achieve). Once I have exFat support in place, I'll release an update.
    Dopa 6 v0 build 5

Build 5 is now available from the OP. Beside fixing the rotation bug, it offers a new feature: (re)format your SDcard in any supported format directly from Settings. See the "Notes" section of the OP for details.

Not mentioned there (yet) is something I just discovered: you can move entire apps to the SDcard if you format it as "Internal storage" - it's just not obvious. Go to Settings->Apps, then select the app you want to move. On the next screen, select "Storage", then "Change" on the following screen. Depending on where the app is currently, you can move it between main storage and SDcard at will. This may just put all these 'xxxx2SD' apps out of business.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone