[ROM] Sero 7 Pro (US/UK/AU/DE) - AOSP 4.4.4_r2 DoPa v2.7

Search This thread

unomar

Jul 9, 2010
Whatever crash you're seeing isn't the one that I fixed. That one was produced a full-blown hardware crash with a register dump. Your logcat doesn't show a register dump or even a Java runtime exception dump. There were two errors that caught my eye but I don't know if either would cause an "Unfortunately..." popup.
Code:
04-08 09:40:24.213 E/DownloadTaskImpl( 3156): Download failed because of IO Error: Socket closed
04-08 09:40:24.213 W/DownloadTaskImpl( 3156): Experienced error when trying to download: [mId=[7871, DEFAULT] mTrackTitle="Le onde" mRemoteId=9ea5817b-9753-348e-af52-ea7c0947c6cb mSourceAccount=1954430662 mPriority=3 mOwner=MUSIC_PLAYBACK mSeekMs=0 mRetryAllowed=true mFileLocation=[mFullPath=/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music/mplayback_7871.tmp mStorageType=INTERNAL mCacheType=2] mExplicit=false]
Here, the (software) communication link being used to download "Le onde" was broken. Later on, you got this error:
Code:
04-08 09:40:57.133 I/wpa_supplicant(  618): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=00:1a:30:e4:64:00 reason=0
[...]
04-08 09:40:59.803 E/DownloadTaskImpl( 3156): Download failed because of IO Error: recvfrom failed: ETIMEDOUT (Connection timed out)
04-08 09:40:59.803 W/DownloadTaskImpl( 3156): Experienced error when trying to download: [mId=[363, DEFAULT] mTrackTitle="Black Hole Sun" mRemoteId=8076a782-8454-3fd8-899d-213bb23836ac mSourceAccount=1954430662 mPriority=0 mOwner=MUSIC_PLAYBACK mSeekMs=0 mRetryAllowed=true mFileLocation=[mFullPath=/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music/mplayback_363.tmp mStorageType=INTERNAL mCacheType=2] mExplicit=true]
This download failure is a lot easier to understand: your WiFi connection had dropped. I don't know that either of these is something I can fix. As above, you may want to try the obvious fixes if you haven't done so already: use the most recent GApps package, clear the app's cache and data, and play with the app's caching options.

Clearing the cache & data seems to have fixed the issue. There must have been some issue carried over when I updated. Google Play Music works much better now. Before (on v0) it was laggy and sometimes unresponsive until it rebooted. Thanks for all your work!

envygreen

Feb 27, 2011
@dolorespark hey, one tiny issue with v1. I tried to read a book in a cab on the way home and screen went dark. Looks like same issue reported to Dave about the auto brightness sensor dropping it too low at the bottom end and LCD goes black.

Otherwise rock solid!

chopin_k

Jan 8, 2014
Do you need extra hardware to cast screen? I was thinking as long as I connected to TV through wifi direct it would work but it still says no devices found.

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
@doloresparkI tried to read a book in a cab on the way home and screen went dark. Looks like same issue reported to Dave about the auto brightness sensor dropping it too low at the bottom end and LCD goes black.

Auto-brightness is not something I've touched. In fact, it's something I'd turn off immediately if it weren't already disabled - I'm deeply suspicious of stuff that tries to be "helpful" because it's usually anything but. That said, I enabled it, turned off the screen, then went into a dark room at night. When I turned the screen on, it was far too dim for my tastes but everything was also clearly visible.

Afterthought... I just checked and there is a configuration item which specifies the minimum brightness. Currently, it has the same value that was used for the Nexus7. I could increase it a bit, but it's not zero (which I assume equates to no backlight at all) so I don't believe that would fix whatever issue you encountered. Plus, others would probably complain that it's not as dim as it "should be". Honestly, I'd rather not mess with it if no one else reports problems.

Do you need extra hardware to cast screen? I was thinking as long as I connected to TV through wifi direct it would work but it still says no devices found.

No, assuming your TV explicitly supports WiFi Display. However, you do need to tap on the little menu thingy at the top of the WFD screen and enable it (now I see why the patch's author had another patch to change that easy-to-miss menu item to a nice, always visible on-off slider).

Reactions: rookiefool

paratwa53

Jun 25, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Tried to load the Asopv1 and got an error on
setting metadata, set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E: Error in /external_sd/sero7pro-asop442-dopa-v1.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Any ideas on what went wrong?

I had Xboxexperts rom installed, I went into recovery, wiped Dalvik and cache, install zip from ext SD. Then the error.

I thought I might have gotten a bad zip, so I downloaded it again and retried it, same error.

EDIT:
Ok, figured out that Exboxperts version of CWM does not work for this. I downloaded randomblame's version and and it installed, Now it is stuck on the android screen. I have waited 5 min and it is still stuck.

Edit 2
Ok, stupid me, I forgot to wipe the user data. Now it's up and running!!

Thanks for the work! Looks great!

Last edited:

paratwa53

Jun 25, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I have been using it for a few hours now, and I have had no wifi drops or any other problems. I do not use the HDMI out or miracast, so I have no idea about those. Bluetooth with poweramp works great.

All in all I have to say you did one hell of a job getting this version up and running!

I am a bit concerned about power levels dropping faster than I am used to though. Any thoughts about how I can change my power usage?

paratwa53

Jun 25, 2013
Chandler, AZ
There is defiantly a problem with charging. I left it turned off while on the charger for 7 hours, and its at 87% charge. Any ideas? It was at 56% when I plugged it in.

paratwa53

Jun 25, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I am having no issues with charging or battery life. Everything seems really nice. Been using since last Monday. Thanks @dolorespark

Sent from my XT1034

Yeah I think it was the charger I was using. The charger I used last night is for my bluetooth headset, I guess it does not have the amperage to really charge the tablet.
I plugged it into its normal charger about an hour ago, and now it is at 97%. So I am guessing that was the problem.

I get freaked out easily when it comes to my tablet. It has become a very important device in my life. I listen to music on it while at work for 10 hours a day, and it is also my ebook reader. I don't use if for much of anything else, but music and reading are very important to me.
I don't even bother with my Kindle anymore since I got this.

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Yeah I think it was the charger I was using. The charger I used last night is for my bluetooth headset, I guess it does not have the amperage to really charge the tablet.
I plugged it into its normal charger about an hour ago, and now it is at 97%. So I am guessing that was the problem.

I get freaked out easily when it comes to my tablet. It has become a very important device in my life. I listen to music on it while at work for 10 hours a day, and it is also my ebook reader. I don't use if for much of anything else, but music and reading are very important to me.
I don't even bother with my Kindle anymore since I got this.

FYI.....Even some phone chargers don't put out enough to charge the Sero 7 Pro and the LTE version. I ran into that problem and a friend bought a charger when his cord went bad, never got a full charge. Finally convinced him to just buy a new cord and use the Sero wall unit. Now it charges fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: paratwa53

paratwa53

Jun 25, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Question, I read that OTG is supposed to work with this version of ASOP, how do I enable it?

I tried hooking up an external drive, but my Sero does not see it.

I tried using the app USB OTG Checker, but it tells me "System Not detect USB OTG signal"

Last edited:

Radon_22

Nov 15, 2008
I plugged in my PS3 controller and it recognized it in about 30 seconds. It recognized my thumb drive right away.

You should try a different device. Then again, your problem may be with your OTG cable. Had it worked for you with another rom on your Sero?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

paratwa53

Jun 25, 2013
Chandler, AZ
It is a brand new cable. I have never tried using one before.

I was trying to connect to a USB hard drive, not a thumb drive. Maybe it is not in the correct format for Android. I have a thumb drive at work, I will try it again tomorrow.

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
It is a brand new cable. I have never tried using one before.

I was trying to connect to a USB hard drive, not a thumb drive. Maybe it is not in the correct format for Android. I have a thumb drive at work, I will try it again tomorrow.

Some OTG cables will not work on a device but will on another device. So if it doesn't work then try a different brand cable. I also use Nexus Media import/export from Play, used it before the Sero 7 Pro got support for OTG and it worked great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
I was trying to connect to a USB hard drive, not a thumb drive. Maybe it is not in the correct format for Android.

The drive has to be formatted FAT32 or ext4 - this kernel doesn't support NTFS or exFAT. Also, does the hard drive have its own power supply? I'd be surprised if the tablet could supply enough power.

I am a bit concerned about power levels dropping faster than I am used to though. Any thoughts about how I can change my power usage?

When you wiped your /data partition, you deleted the system's battery stats which it uses to generate accurate battery usage info. You really shouldn't put too much faith in the battery readings until you've fully charged it then run it down almost all the way at least once. Once it has rebuilt its database, the readings will be more meaningful.

To prolong battery life, turn off NFC, GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi when you're not using them (GravityBox makes this pretty easy to do since there's a Quick Settings tile for each one). And of course, kill the screen whenever possible.

BTW... speaking of USB-OTG devices and charging the battery... Someone sent me a link to a kernel patch which enables you to charge the tablet while using OTG. Using it requires a special Y-cable so both the device and the charger can be attached, plus it may require a small app to turn the feature on and off. I'll add this the next time I build a new kernel.

Radon_22

Nov 15, 2008
This sounds fantastic - Being able to supply power while using USB could have a lot of applications. Know what cable should be used?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jerbear294

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
FYI.....Even some phone chargers don't put out enough to charge the Sero 7 Pro and the LTE version. I ran into that problem and a friend bought a charger when his cord went bad, never got a full charge. Finally convinced him to just buy a new cord and use the Sero wall unit. Now it charges fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Did you mean LT? I would be shocked if there was an LTE Sero 7, and a Google search didn't pull anything up.

Reactions: rookiefool

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** DoPa6 (AOSP - Marshmallow) ** is now available - see this post for details and downloads
    ** DoPa5 (AOSP - Kitkat) ** is now available - see this post for details and downloads
    DoPa v2.7 is a ROM for Sero 7 Pro owners everywhere. Whether bought in the US, Britain, Australia, Germany, or elsewhere, your tablet is supported.

The ROM starts with well-tested AOSP code and adds core functions where needed but skips the frills that are easy to add on - and remove when they cause problems. It's aimed at people who want to choose their own features and not have them imposed by the developer.

New / Improved
    • International Support - a single ROM for all Sero 7 Pros sold worldwide
      New in v2.7 - support for the German model of the Sero 7 Pro (m470bsg)
    • Speed Control - a unified kernel provides speed when you need it and stock performance when you don't.
      Use the new Performance page in the Settings app to control it
    • exFAT - support has been moved into the kernel for improved performance
    • Boot Animation - a handsome new DoPa animation thanks to @mikembley, our first-ever UK user
    To get you started customizing your ROM, v2.7 offers these add-ons:
    • built-in: SuperSU, Xposed Installer GravityBox, Phab7
    • optional: have your tablet claim it's a Nexus7 to get more apps in PlayStore
    The package does not include any Google apps (e.g. Playstore). See this thread for links to the latest GApps packages.

Installation

UK / AU / DE / First-time Users
    If you're upgrading from a stock ROM (any variety), please click the "show content" button and read the instructions very carefully - they're long but your tablet's continued good health may depend on it!

STEP 1: Install Philz Touch Recovery
    Users outside the US must use this version of Philz to install the ROM - neither the stock recovery nor other versions of CWM or Philz will work. Users in the US should use it just to avoid problems.

Stock Recovery
    If you still have the stock recovery program you'll have to use the 'fastboot' program to install Philz. On Windows, this requires installation of the 'ADB' USB drivers while in fastboot mode (see below). A package containing the drivers, fastboot, adb and other files can be found in the 2nd posting on the DoPa Stock ROM thread. Note: there are several batch files (*.bat) in the package - do NOT run them.
    • put fastboot.exe in a convenient directory, then unzip sero7pro-philz6.58.0-dopa-v2.7.zip and put the file philz.img in the same directory (you won't need the other files)
    • unplug any USB cable, then press and hold Power+VolumeUp; the word "fastboot" should appear on the screen (nothing further will appear)
    • plug the USB cable from your PC into the tablet, then install the driver (open Device Manager, right click on "Other Devices->Fastboot", then select "Update Driver Software")
    • after installing the driver, open a command prompt ("DOS window") and change to the directory containing the files
    • enter fastboot flash recovery philz.img
    • when done, force the tablet off, remove the USB cable, then reboot into recovery: Power+VolumeDown - you should see the word "recovery", then the Philz menu
    CWM
    If you have CWM installed, copy sero7pro-philz6.58.0-dopa-v2.7.zip to an SD card, insert it in the tablet, then:
    • remove any USB cable, then boot into recovery: Power+VolumeDown
    • select "Install Zip", then "Choose zip from /storage/sdcard1"
    • select the file, then OK the selection
    • when done, back out to the main menu, select "Advanced options", then "Reboot recovery"
    • after the initial "recovery" screen, you should see the Philz menu
    Regardless of how you install Philz, the result should be the same. If it boots OK, compatibility is assured

STEP 2: Backup
    I can't emphasize this enough: you must make a backup of your existing ROM. If something goes wrong, there's no way to get your device working again other than to restore it using the backup you've made. There's also another reason to do a backup: before installing the new ROM, you will have to reformat your /data partition. This will wipe out your apps, your settings, and most importantly, all the music/photos/etc stored on your "internal SDcard". These last items can be restored if you follow the instructions below:

ROM
    You must do your backup onto a real SD card that you can remove because your "internal SDcard" will be erased in the next step. In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do two backups (preferably to different cards) just in case one is faulty.
    • on Philz main menu, select "Backup and Restore"
    • next, select "Backup to /storage/sdcard1" (the 6th item on that menu)
    • if there's enough space on the card, the backup will start without any further prompt; it could take anywhere from 3 to 15+ minutes depending on the amount of data and the speed of your card
    • if needed, you can enable compression to create a smaller backup: select "Misc Nandroid Settings -> Default Backup Format -> tar + gzip", then on the previous menu, tap on "Compression" to set the appropriate level
    Internal SD card
    This is optional but worthwhile if you have files you value stored on the tablet:
    • on Philz main menu, select "Backup and Restore"
    • next, select "Custom Backup to /storage/sdcard1" (the 9th item on that menu)
    • on the next screen, deselect everything, then select "Backup /data/media" (the next-to-last item)
    • finally, select "Start Custom Backup Job"
    STEP 3: Install the DoPa ROM
    Before you begin, you may want to download a Google Apps ("Gapps") package that you can install after the ROM. See this thread for a selection of packages. To avoid complications, I'd suggest choosing the "Nano Modular Package" to get just the basics - you can always upgrade later. Put your Gapps package along with the ROM zip on an SD card and insert it into the tablet - you can use the same card you're using for your backups.

• on Philz main menu, select "Wipe and Format Options", then "Custom Format Options"
    • select "format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)" (the 8th item), then OK your choice
    • back on the main menu, select "Install Zip -> Choose zip from /storage/sdcard1"
    • select sero7pro-aosp444-dopa-v2.7.zip, then OK your choice - the install process should take about 40 seconds
    • next, install your Gapps package
    • return to the main menu, select "Reboot System Now", then hold your breath for the next 3-4 minutes :)
    • the Hisense screen should be up for less than a minute, followed by the DoPa boot animation for another 2-3 minutes
    • when the Google setup screen appears, you'll probably get a warning that "Bluetooth Sharing" has stopped - after you clear it, you'll never see it again
    If the boot animation is still running after 5+ minutes, force the tablet off, then reboot. If that doesn't fix it, try formatting /data again. If it still doesn't work, restore your tablet from your backup ("Backup and Restore -> Restore from /storage/sdcard1"), then post a message here. If everything works out as hoped for, re-read the first posting in this thread for details on some of the features (and problems) of this ROM.

Upgrades
    While any SELinux-enabled version of CWM or TWRP can be used to install the ROM, the companion Philz Touch CWM-based recovery is highly recommended if you use exFAT-formatted SD cards.
    • from DoPa AOSP Kitkat ROMs (v1.0-v2.6) - no need to wipe or format anything!
    • from pre-Kitkat (v4.4.x) or any CM-based ROMs - wipe your /data partition before installing to avoid unnecessary problems.
    • install sero7pro-aosp444-dopa-v2.7.zip
      - the installer will wipe (but NOT format) /cache and dalvik-cache for you
    • install your preferred Gapps package
      - upgraders: this is required to prevent your downloaded Google apps from crashing
    • optionally, install the Nexus7 spoof (sero7pro-nexus7spoof-dopa-v2.7.zip)
    • reboot (ignore any "fix root" prompt - it's incorrect)

f2fs / ext4 Migration
    This DoPa ROM gives you the flexibility to format any of your built-in partitions using either the f2fs or ext4 file systems.
    As part of your install - or at any time - you can switch formats without losing any data. Click "show content" for instructions.
    If you haven't already installed Philz Touch Recovery, please do so first. Philz has gotten complicated, so read this carefully!
    • make a nandroid backup to your external SD card
    • select Wipe and Format Options, then Custom Format Options
    • select toggle f2fs <-> ext4 migration
      - be sure there's a confirmation message at the bottom of the screen
    • select each partition you want to convert or wipe, then select the format and OK your choice
    • Important: to convert your /data partition, you must select format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)!!!
    • use Custom Restore from /storage/sdcard1 to restore the contents of the partitions you reformatted

Notes
    • Speed Control - this version uses a redesigned kernel that caps processor speeds at stock levels during start-up, then adjusts them once the tablet is up and running. Go to Settings->Performance to enable this feature, and to set the top speeds for the CPU (1.0-1.5ghz) and GPU (448-520mhz). When disabled,the processor will remain at stock speeds (1.2ghz/448mhz) unless changed by a 3rd-party app.
    • Encryption - the first time you formatted your /data partition, you lost the ability to encrypt your tablet's data. Using the companion Philz Touch Recovery to reformat /data (using either filesystem) will restore that ability. To preserve your existing data, do a backup first, then restore just /data when done. Note: you must select "format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)" when reformatting.
    • OTG Charging Support - this kernel supports charging the tablet while an external device (flash drive, keyboard, etc.) is attached to the USB port. This feature requires either an OTG 'Y' cable or an OTG USB hub, and the AC adapter that came with the tablet. For this to work, power must be connected to the cable or hub before plugging it into your tablet. The OTG device(s) can be attached/detached at any time.
    • WiFi Display (a.k.a. Miracast) - video works but its performance may depend upon your TV; audio does not work.
    • Bluetooth Sharing - on the initial boot, this service will FC due to a timing issue. The system will restart it and you should never see this error again.
    Added/Changed in v2.6
    • International Support - added support to the kernel for the British and Australian models of the Sero 7 Pro
    • Overclocking - replaced separate standard and overclocked kernels with a unified kernel that uses less power when overclocked; added a new Performance page to the Settings app to control it
    • exFAT Support - moved exFAT support to the kernel for improved performance
    • Boot Animation - added a custom boot animation created by @mikembley
    Added/Changed in v2.51
    • Flexible Formatting - added F2FS support for the /thirdparty and /mnt/modem partitions
    • Bug Fix - enabled Philz Touch Recovery to format the /thirdparty and /mnt/modem partitions using EXT4
    Added/Changed in v2.5
    • Flexible Formatting - enabled use of either F2FS or EXT4 for any of the built-in partitions
    • External Storage - added support for F2FS, and for devices formatted without a partition table (i.e. Windows-style "super-floppies")
    • Android version - upgraded from AOSP 4.4.4_r2 to AOSP 4.4.4_r2.0.1
    • Recovery - added a DoPa version of Philz Touch Recovery
    Added/Changed in v2.1
    • SD Cards - added support for SD cards formatted with the NTFS or exFAT filesystems
    • Android version - upgraded from AOSP 4.4.4_r1 to AOSP 4.4.4_r2
    Added/Changed in v2.0
    • Google Now - voice activation (i.e "OK Google") now works in the Google Now launcher
    • kernel - added OTG charging support.
    Credits
    • ziddey
    • randomblame
    • davepmer
    • the CM team
    Downloads
    GPL Notice: the source code for this kernel is available at https://github.com/dolorespark/android_kernel_hisense_m470bsa on the 'master' branch.
    Still alive...

For those who fear development has ceased: I've just started my second build of AOSP 4.4.3.2.1.000.000 - the bleeding edge of Google's efforts as of Monday morning. My first build worked but had some glitches, and I'm sure I'll have do yet another before I have something worth releasing. It may be a while (a week or so) but it will be along "in the fullness of time"...
    Sero7Pro AOSP Beta v2.5

Yes, folks, there _is_ original development for the Sero7Pro :) Like many other ROMs, this beta offers F2FS support, but unlike any other ROM I know of, the choice of ext4 or f2fs is yours, not the developer's.

Format any of the main partitions (/data, /cache, and/or /system) either way using the companion PhilZ Touch (beta) and this ROM will handle it. Try f2fs on one or all partitions (or revert to ext4) at will - there's no need to flash a different ROM every time you change formats.

---- Edit ----

The final version of DoPa v2.5 has been released, so this beta has been withdrawn. See the original posting for details.
    Lollipop

I've got Android 5.0.0 up and running on my tablet. Sadly, there's a big problem: no sound.

The proprietary binaries that provide audio were created for 4.2.1 and are incompatible with Lollipop's sound system. I have no idea if there's a fix or workaround but I'll certainly look into it. Meanwhile, I'm going to fix various other buglets and should be able to release a (mute) preview version some time in the next week or so.
    AOSP 4.4.3.x-v0

I've released a very-vanilla build of Android 4.4.3.

Changes
    • ART Runtime - the Dalvik VM is gone, it's ART only. This also means the Xposed installer and apps won't work until Xposed is updated.
    • SE Linux - new security policies make root access nearly useless and apps like SuperSU ineffective. As a temporary workaround, this build runs in 'permissive' mode. It also uses the generic AOSP su which doesn't prompt before granting (or denying) root access.
    Installation
    • wipe /data and /cache
    • install sero7pro-aosp443x-v0.zip
    • install GApps (optional, see this thread)
    • reboot
    • wait at least SEVEN MINUTES before you start to sweat. With GApps installed, the first boot should take roughly 6 minutes. If it goes on for 8 or more minutes, turn it off then restart.
    Notes

This is the tip of the AOSP master branch as of 2014-05-30 19:12:00 UTC. All of the expected features (WiFi, Audio, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.) seem to work OK. Developing it for the Sero7Pro required fixing a large number of SELinux policy errors. The ROM itself shouldn't generate any errors and could be run in 'enforcing' mode. The kernel, device, and vendor trees for this ROM are available from github

File

sero7pro-aosp443x-v0.zip