[ROM] [SGH-I757M only] CyanogenMod 9

Search This thread

bnevets27

Oct 19, 2010
I'm running mine unlocked with Rogers, so I have no say ;)

One last question dsixda, does LTE work fine for you?

According to rogers:
Based on Rogers 2600 MHz spectrum available in majority of sectors within Rogers LTE coverage areas; in sectors where 2600 MHz is not available, device will seamlessly fallback to 2100 MHz.

The I757 only has: 800 / 1800 / 2600
The I727 has: 1700 / 2100

So according to rogers then I guess the I757 just can't fall back to 2100 so it would fall back to HSDPA+ I assume. Would be nice to see a coverage map of the 2600 spectrum.

Sorry to be asking this here, just there is so little info on this device and no specific forum for it.

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
One last question dsixda, does LTE work fine for you?

According to rogers:

The I757 only has: 800 / 1800 / 2600
The I727 has: 1700 / 2100

So according to rogers then I guess the I757 just can't fall back to 2100 so it would fall back to HSDPA+ I assume. Would be nice to see a coverage map of the 2600 spectrum.

Sorry to be asking this here, just there is so little info on this device and no specific forum for it.

With the stock ROM I got download speeds of 25Mbps with LTE here in Ottawa. With CM9 I haven't used it much, just 3G/HSPA, but I got 15Mbps once with 4G when I tried. I'd probably get higher speeds depending on tower location.

AllyKat

Feb 9, 2010
Vancouver
I am considering this since a few days ago Bell's schedule of ICS updates bumped the phone to August. I would like to confirm what ISN'T working in the last release of this ROM? The front page only list what does and its so long that I cannot tell what's missing?

[Side note: would someone tell me if the 'oid emulators (such as the GBA one: http://slideme.org/application/gameboid) have the issue with this ROM that cause the A + B buttons on the virtual screen to press at the same time?]

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I am considering this since a few days ago Bell's schedule of ICS updates bumped the phone to August. I would like to confirm what ISN'T working in the last release of this ROM? The front page only list what does and its so long that I cannot tell what's missing?

I wouldn't be hiding anything ;-)

What's not working:

From the first page -
NEEDS WORK (AND HELP):

- The 'Silly Faces' effects option for the front camcorder results in a distorted preview image, but the video gets saved perfectly with effects. Click here for all the logcat info and analysis.

That's the only thing not working (preview screen for Silly Faces; although the video recording in Silly Faces is perfect). I'll re-word it to make it more clear.

123abcalex

Jul 2, 2012
NFC capabilities

So to wrap up the NFC issue, I just got off the phone with Samsung after an email and online chat with them resulted in them simply pointing out the section in the guide on how to enable NFC. The rep on the phone knew nothing of NFC and this device and I expected as much with this being a rare device and NFC being relatively unknown. After speaking with what I assume was a help desk or something, the rep told me that basically the software supports NFC but the hardware doesn't. Having worked in customer support and having dealt with crappy customers, also since the issue is crystal clear, I knew better than to make a big deal of this.

So there you have it, our phone is advertised as having NFC but lacks the hardware. I only wish it was the other way around like with the AT&T Note and the software was lacking, that way dsixda would have long ago enabled it to work.

So if you want this feature, you will have to get one of those NFC sd cards (and block up your SD slot in process, which is not practical) or maybe, just maybe we can rip one off a nexus or note and stick it in our battery cover (and align the connectors and as long as the phone has the actual chip within it and as long as the chip is actually enabled) but good luck finding one at a reasonable price and getting it to actually work. I am quite disappointed as I was looking forward to getting to use this feature, so please make your feelings on this issue heard (all 5 of us) and other than that tough luck, hey at least we got fully functional ICS, so that more than makes up for it.

Reactions: dsixda

reallybigabe

Jan 27, 2011
I did the same digging this weekend.
Here's my process:
- Contacted Bell, explained my phone was advertised as having NFC but doesn't. I actually USE NFC a lot (I have several proxy cards at work, and with the root apps available, its easy to do a 'hard-write' and store several encrypted proxy cards on my phone so I don't have to walk around with a janitor tag bundle like a loser.

- Transferred to "Customer Relations" / "Customer Dispute Resolution" <-- The same number answered with each of these titles
- Same explanation, left call-back details with an 'investigator'
- Contacted back by some goofball with zero technical knowledge who told me the first step with a dispute was to contact my retailer (Booth Wireless), I was adamant that he forward my complaint and the details of it to the store so that it's coming from Bell.
- Contacted Booth... I've been away for work for 2 months, so my 'local' shop was nowhere near where I was, and they couldn't transfer my complaint to the nearest store...
- Talked all week back and forth with a Store Manager (incidentally, MUCH more technically-inclined than the resolution center, a pleasure)

So, I went in Saturday, little kids in tow, for a specified timing of 0930... the kid working didn't open until 1005, and I had 2 tired and hungry kids, so I wasn't happy... then he told me the store manager was out partying last night and won't be in until after 12... I was @#$@#ing irate... but there's no point being a **** to the min-wager working that morning, so I came back after 12....

Now, here I am. 2 months after I bought my S2 HD LTE with NFC for $99.99 on a 3-year with a $50 rebate for signing up for 'All Bell' (Home, Satellite, Internet, & Mobile)... so $49.99 out of pocket... the store manager "Split the difference" on an S3 for me ($159.99 - $99.99) = $50 /2 = $25 + HST.

So, 2 months later, custom rom count of 20+, a few thousand minutes used... and I traded it in for an S3 for $25.

Feel free to do the same. Once again, a big 3 flogged off a product without asking someone technical in the process... it really really grates me when they do that - so let them take the hit on this ridiculous notion. Demand an exchange for a product that has the advertised features.

Sorry, once again DSI - you're still a bloody legend. Last I looked, the small army of SGH-i747 devs didn't have camera working on CM9. You're a machine.

Yeah. Anyways. Screw Bell. They deserve it... not nearly as much as Rogers mind you... but still. Thieves.

BTW - Touchwiz 5 is actually worth the Bell bloatware to me. It's the first time I've ever enjoyed a stock rom vs first few custom roms attempted. So, if you're hanging on to this device, and the update comes soon - it's a nice OS right out of the gates.

AllyKat

Feb 9, 2010
Vancouver
How do you get it so that the Internal SD Card and External work properly? It will not let me delete the system files it keeps adding to my external memory stick.

Jul 16, 2012
Like a good noob I re-read this entire thread to make sure I didn't miss something. I was waiting for the front camera to get working to try this out. Was pumped when I finally saw you had it working - Thanks BTW!

On Saturday I flashed cm-9-20120713-UNOFFICIAL-celoxhd.zip after rooting and all that other good stuff.

It has been pretty flawless actually. I didn't know there was a funny faces thing either, but I've been texting and taking pics and playing around without issue for the most part. I have found a couple odd things that might not even be issues with regards to the capacitive buttons only.

1) When I have the phone charging and I get a message, the capacitive buttons light up and stay lit until I at least unlock then lock again. (Wow monday coffee, just figured this might be intentional - as in a you have messages light - which would be cool). What setting would I use to turn this off (which might solve the 2nd issue)?

2) I like my phone to be my alarm clock by the bed so I have an app Kaloer Clock that turns on when I charge the phone over night. It keeps the screen on so I have a clock to look at. Unfortunately the capacitive button light stays on all night which is probably not great for it?

Cheers sir. Really appreciate the time you spent working on this. I may never bother with the Bell update if it keeps working as well as it has thus far.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Like a good noob I re-read this entire thread to make sure I didn't miss something. I was waiting for the front camera to get working to try this out. Was pumped when I finally saw you had it working - Thanks BTW!

On Saturday I flashed cm-9-20120713-UNOFFICIAL-celoxhd.zip after rooting and all that other good stuff.

It has been pretty flawless actually. I didn't know there was a funny faces thing either, but I've been texting and taking pics and playing around without issue for the most part. I have found a couple odd things that might not even be issues with regards to the capacitive buttons only.

1) When I have the phone charging and I get a message, the capacitive buttons light up and stay lit until I at least unlock then lock again. (Wow monday coffee, just figured this might be intentional - as in a you have messages light - which would be cool). What setting would I use to turn this off (which might solve the 2nd issue)?

2) I like my phone to be my alarm clock by the bed so I have an app Kaloer Clock that turns on when I charge the phone over night. It keeps the screen on so I have a clock to look at. Unfortunately the capacitive button light stays on all night which is probably not great for it?

Cheers sir. Really appreciate the time you spent working on this. I may never bother with the Bell update if it keeps working as well as it has thus far.

You can turn off button lights or backlight notifications under System Settings / Advanced / Sensors.

EDIT: However, I can raise this is an issue when the clock app is used with the backlight off (the button lights ideally should be off in this case, but they're not).

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2012
You can turn off button lights or backlight notifications under System Settings / Advanced / Sensors.

EDIT: However, I can raise this is an issue when the clock app is used with the backlight off (the button lights ideally should be off in this case, but they're not).

Ahh I didn't go in the sensor section. Thanks.

Maybe terminology is getting the best of me, but in order to display stuff on the screen the backlight must be on right? Or would this be a setting in the app itself?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 9 for Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M)

THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL BUILD OF CYANOGENMOD 9 BUT CAN STILL BE USED AS A DAILY DRIVER.

CyanogenMod is an open source replacement firmware based on the Android mobile operating system for smart phones and tablet computers. It offers features and options not found in the official firmware distributed by vendors of these devices.

Bell Canada released the Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M), which is a slight upgrade from its original Galaxy S2 GT-I9100M released the summer before, with now a bigger display and HD resolution. Since Bell hadn't released an ICS update yet, I have ported CyanogenMod 9 (stock ICS / Android 4.0) to the SGH-I757M.

NOTE: I was told by mods to post this thread in this General forum because it's not an I9100.

2e5imwp.jpg

(Screenshots attached below)

What works:

Pretty much everything for daily use. Click below for details.

Code:
    - Phone calls
    - 3G/HSPA/LTE Data
    - SMS send/receive
    - Wi-Fi
    - Video playback
    - YouTube (including HD videos)
    - Adobe Flash
    - Hardware acceleration in browser
    - Rear camera (model M5MO) takes photos and videos, and uses flash
    - Front camera (model SR200PC20M) - takes photos and videos
    - BLN (Backlight Notification on buttons)
    - Overclocking/underclocking
    - Face Unlock
    - Panorama mode for camera
    - USB mass storage
    - MTP
    - Play Store
    - Vibration and haptic feedback
    - Orientation sensor
    - Magnetic field sensor / compass (model AK8975)
    - Gyroscope (model K3G) 
    - Accelerometer (model K3DH)
    - Optical sensor, i.e. proximity and ambient light sensor (model TAOS)
    - Auto-brightness
    - Bluetooth (and A2DP)
    - GPS
    - Headphone audio
    - Torch app
    - USB tethering
    - Speakerphone
    - Wi-Fi hotspot
    - Google Goggles
    - Lights on capacitive buttons
    - Internal and external (micro) SD card access 
      - Note: Internal SD is under [B]/mnt/emmc[/B], micro SD is '/sdcard'
    - CPU frequency is being reported correctly as 1512MHz
    - MHL (compiled into kernel but not tried yet)

What doesn't work:

- I.P. CALLING: VoIP/SIP clients like CSipSimple and Dell Voice crash when making calls, or nothing heard at other end of line when using them. Click here and here for more info. Skype works fine.
    - IN CAMCORDER: The 'Silly Faces' effects option for the front/rear camcorders is currently showing a distorted image in the preview screen. However, the video recording itself gets saved perfectly with the chosen effect. Normal front/rear camcorder functionality (i.e. without the silly effects) has no issues. If you want to help out, click here for all the logcat info and analysis for the Silly Faces option.
    - IN CAMCORDER: Not really an issue, but the zoom control should not be present in 1080p mode for the camcorder, because it does not zoom in 1080p (limitation of Galaxy S2, not CM9)
    - IN CAMERA: No touch-to-focus for camera, although regular focus works fine. A workaround would be to use LgCamera app from the Play Store.
    - CAPACITIVE BUTTONS: button lights will not come on when turning device on from sleep; user must touch screen after 10 seconds to turn button lights on (issue is common in CM9 for other SGS2 Qualcomm-based variants)

Download:

WARNING! Do not flash this to a different device model from the one it's meant for. It will not work with the other Galaxy S2 iterations, so don't try it with the Bell Galaxy S2 I9100M (non-HD). DO NOT flash it on the Asian variant of the GS2 HD (SHV-E120) either, as it uses slightly different internal hardware - the ROM will be unstable and the phone component will not work. If you are sure you have the CANADIAN Bell Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M), then click on the button below:

(For questions about CM9 for the SHV-120L, contact skysbird on Twitter or GitHub. I will not discuss that device in my thread.)

OLD LINK: http://d-h.st/users/dsi

UPDATE: September 20, 2012: I don't own this device anymore, and am no longer maintaining the builds, please find latest versions here, thanks to XDA user crlogic:

http://d-h.st/users/crlogic

Go to the Dev-Host link above and navigate to the CM9 sub-folder to access the files required for the following steps. Please read the installation instructions carefully.

Support my work:

DONATE / FOLLOW ME

Full instructions for installing:

Download the necessary files:

1) Ensure you have my latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery image for the SGH-I757M. Please refer to this thread for details. NOTE: The original released version of CWM for this device is not compatible with the CM9 ROMs, so update to the latest one please.
    2) Download the CM9 ROM from the SGS2 HD LTE / cyanogenmod9 folder found at the big Dev-Host link above.
    3) Download the Google Apps (gapps) file from the SGS2 HD LTE / cyanogenmod9 folder found at the link above. The Google Apps are flashed separately from the ROM due to legal requirements (proprietary files). They include Gmail, YouTube, Play Store, Maps, etc.
    4) Optional: Download the stock Bell ICS modem (MUGLH2) from the SGS2 HD LTE / factory images folder. You should skip this step if you had earlier flashed the stock Bell ICS update, since it contains that modem/baseband (check your Settings-->About screen to verify the Baseband).

Back up your data:

1) If you're coming from a non-CM9 ROM, back up your apps and data with the Titanium Backup app if you wish. Back up your SMS messages with apps like 'SMS Backup and Restore'.
    2) Boot into CWM (hold down power and both volume buttons, let go at the Samsung logo)
    3) Enter CWM Recovery and make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM, just in case.

Now flash:

1a) If you have CM9 already installed and want to flash it again: In CWM - wipe cache, then go to Advanced menu and wipe Dalvik cache. Then flash the CM9 zip file.
    1b) OR if this is your first time flashing CM9: In CWM - wipe data (factory reset), then flash the CM9 zip file TWICE.
    2) Next, flash the zip file for Google Apps - it is recommended to flash this every time you flash a new CM9 ROM!
    3) If you had also downloaded the modem, then flash that as well.
    4) Reboot phone
    5) If you have problems, read the FAQ below and ask questions in this thread if necessary. Please do not PM me about tech support.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Change Logs, Sources, Acknowledgements, etc.

- NOTE: I do not own this device anymore and cannot provide tech support. All help is found in the following posts.

CyanogenMod 10 - Jelly Bean available?

- Yes it is, go here.
    Ladies and gentlemen, we now have front camera working :)

I just updated to newer kernel sources for MSM8660 devices, and they support our ICS camera interfaces.

In the meantime I'm going to try to get overclocking and BLN merged into this stock kernel source.
    We have achieved God Mode for this ROM
    OK ROM (June 29th build) should be there in 25 minutes.

I have flashed it and confirmed it has the correct sensors. ;)
    ROM will be fully uploaded in about 20 minutes from now.

I have moved this ROM to the SGS2 LTE HD / cyanogenmod9 folder.

cm-9-20120713-UNOFFICIAL-celoxhd.zip
    - Front camera now works
    - Added SGH-I757M ICS camera binaries
    - Updated to newer kernel sources (this allowed the front camera to work with the above binaries)
    - Merged kernel configuration with that from SGH-I757M ICS test ROM (generally the same but CM9 version includes BLN and overclocking)