[ROM] (Sheldon) Fire TV Stick - Tweaked + Google Play + Debloated (7.2.4.9)

Search This thread

bnevets27

Oct 19, 2010
This was inspired by the ROM @burcbuluklu made for mantis (4k). Creating this image took a lot of time and effort to figure out. One key difference I was aiming for, was for you, the user to not need to use an OTG adapter and keyboard to complete the setup and pair the remote. I also wanted the user to go through the standard setup (OOBE), including setting up the equipment controls, if applicable. I finally managed to accomplish both.

Please understand what this process entails. I've tried to provide as much info and guidance as possible but you should have a good understanding of the basics (TWRP, rooting, etc).

This has only been used by me thus far. While I've done many restores on a few sticks multiple times to ensure everything goes smoothly, consider this BETA as it hasn't been tested by others. If you are comfortable with getting yourself out of trouble, please try this out and report back.

So far there doesn't seem to be any report of this ROM causing issues thus far, so it could be considered stable now.

You do this at at your own risk. No warranty is explicit or implied. With that out of the way.

Some Info:
Android Version: 9
Fire OS Version: 7.2.4.9
TWRP Version: 3.6.1_9-0
Magisk Version: 25.1.FTV
Launcher: Wolf Launcher
Internal Storage after installation: 3.41 GB
Netflix works

Screenshot:
1667611633350.png

Requirements:
  • Computer
  • Firestick
  • Possible with:
    • Just a Computer
  • Possibly easier with some or all of the following:
    • TV or Monitor
    • OTG Adapter
    • USB Hub
    • USB Keyboard/Mouse
    • USB Stick Formatted Fat32

Before we start:
  1. Be aware that your warranty will be void.
  2. Backup your files.
  3. All of your apps will be wiped. Technically the "data partition" / "sdcard" will not be wiped but it should be a backed up just incase

1. Root - How to root
  2. If not 3rd Gen (Sheldonp) then convert to Sheldonp, see: Convert Lite (Sheldon) to Sheldonp (3rd Gen)
    1. Sheldon = Fire TV Stick Lite - 1st Gen
    2. Sheldonp = Fire TV Stick - 3rd Gen
    3. if you aren't sure, you can check with this command from adb:
      1. Code:
        adb shell getprop ro.product.device
  3. Confirm stick is on 7.2.4.9 or flash stock rom, see: Flash stock ROM
    1. To check which version you are on:
      1. Go to Settings > My Fire TV > About > Software Version
      2. or, from adb (doesn't work in TWRP)
      3. Code:
        adb shell getprop ro.build.version.name
  4. Restore TWRP image from this thread
    1. Use OTG adapter, a USB hub, a USB stick and a mouse
      1. Extract the zip attached to this thread to the following path: /TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9/
      2. Mount the USB stick in TWRP
      3. Go to restore and select storage
      4. Find the folder with the unzipped files
      5. Swipe to Restore
    2. or, if you don't have an OTG adapter (Only a computer is needed)
      1. See: How to Restore without OTG
    3. or, if you don't have a USB Hub and USB Stick but have an OTG adapter
      1. See: How to Restore without USB Hub and USB Stick
  5. Most will skip this step. If you want to skip OOBE, see: Option to Skip OOBE (Amazon registration)
  6. Reboot system
  7. First boot will take a little while, be patient.
  8. On screen will say, press play on the remote.
    1. Press play, if it does work right away, press it a few times, if that doesn't work, hold it for a second or two
    2. if that doesn't work
    3. Hold home button for 10 seconds, then press play
  9. Setup WiFi
  10. It will try to update but fail (as the amazon servers are blocked in the host file)
  11. Once it fails hold the back key and menu button at the same time for a few seconds, as outlined here
  12. Once Voice View is displayed, press the back button
  13. Now sign in and continue through the setup as normal
  14. Once the setup is complete you will end up on the launcher (wolf launcher in this case)
  15. Give the stick a full minute or so and it will reboot itself. If after a few minutes it does not, reboot it.
  16. When it reboots, the stick will have been debloated
  17. It's ready to use
Note:
  • Screensavers
    • Backdrop is enabled by default
      • Backdrop = Chromecast screensaver
    • Aerial Views is installed and can be enabled in the settings
      • Aerial Views = Apple TV screensaver
    • Warning: Aerial Views uses a lot of bandwidth (it plays video constantly). I would not suggest using it if you are on a limited data usage.
  • More debloat
    • If you would like to disable more bloat/amazon apps, use the debloat toolbox found in the system folder
      • select what you want to debloat, then select play (top right)
  • Less debloat
    • If you want to remove all the debloating, use the debloat toolbox found in the system folder.
      • Select all, then select all again (until nothing is checked), then click play (top right)
  • Re-bloat to "stock"
    • If you want to go back to how the stick was bloated when it was first setup
      • Go to magisk > modules, then enable "FireTV/FireOS 7 Debloat"
      • Reboot, give it a minute and it will reboot itself, it will now have been debloated
  • Important: Never install magisk updates from magisk. Use TWRP.
  • If you want to create TWRP backup, select "System Image" and "Vendor Image" instead of system and vendor. <- Thanks @burcbuluklu
  • Suggestion: FX Web Access makes it easier to transfer files.

Remote Button Changes
  • Holding the back button will kill the foreground app
  • Holding the home button will kill all background apps
  • Holding the menu button will bring up the "HUD"/quick settings. By default this was assigned to the home button
Remapping buttons
  1. Open system folder on launcher home screen
  2. Click "xposed edge" (green rectangle with < )
  3. Select "Keys"
  4. Now click on the button you want to change
Note:
  • The button must have the green check mark or the changes will have no effect
  • Clicking the checkbox must be done with a mouse, either with OTG or through adb + scrcpy (Flakie's ADB GUI or ADBLink)
Remapping "extra" buttons
You can assign whichever app you like (or any other option) to the additional buttons on the remote. This has been setup for the remote with the following buttons: Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Music. If your remote is different you will have to add the buttons to xposed edge, see: To add buttons to exposed edge

The following is which "app" is mapped to which button on the remote:
  • KEYCODE_APP_1 = Netflix
  • KEYCODE_APP_2 = prime video
  • KEYCODE_APP_3 = Disney+
  • KEYCODE_APP_4 = amazon music
Note: You can not remap a button if the app associated with that button is installed or enabled. You must either uninstall or disable the app first. The amazon apps can be disabled via the debloat tool.

To add buttons to exposed edge:
  • A mouse (via OTG or Flakie ABD GUI/ADBLink) is needed to check the check boxes/enable the mapping, it's also needed to click OK when adding a button to be mapped
  • Steps to get button added:
    1. Click “+”
    2. Press button on remote
    3. This will open the app or some sort or dialog
    4. Press back button on the remote, once only
    5. Use the mouse to click ok

Convert Lite (Sheldon) to Sheldonp (3rd Gen)

From twrp recovery or adb
Code:
adb shell resetprop ro.product.device sheldonp

Flash stock ROM

Get stock ROMs from here
If you are blocking updates to your fire tv sticks on your router, you may need to remove “d1s31zyz7dcc2d.cloudfront” from the block list. Careful your other sticks don't update, if you have others connected to the same network.
  1. Rename *.bin to *.zip
  2. Boot to recovery/TWRP
    1. If using OTG + USB,
      1. Navigate to wipe
      2. "Wipe to Factory Reset"
      3. Mount USB
        1. Select Mount
        2. Check Storage 1
      4. Install img
        1. Go to install
        2. Select storage
        3. Storage 1 > Ok
        4. Navigate to the 7.2.4.9.zip > Click it
        5. "Swipe to confirm Flash"
        6. Delete the zip by going to Advanced > File Manager
    2. or, from adb
      1. adb push name_of_file.zip /sdcard
      2. adb shell
      3. twrp wipe cache
      4. twrp wipe dalvik
      5. twrp wipe data
      6. twrp wipe system
      7. twrp install /sdcard/name_of_file.zip
      8. rm /sdcard/name_of_file.zip
    3. Boot to FireOS (Not sure if this is necessary but no harm, it will take a while, but will land on the setup screen)
    4. Reboot to TRWP
      1. To reboot to TWRP
        1. with OTG and mouse to click cancel
        2. or
        3. Run the command in linux as outlined in the rooting thread
          1. Hint: ./boot-recovery.sh

Option to Skip OOBE (Amazon registration)

There are things that will not work if you skip OOBE. I do not know the extent of what is non-functional when OOBE has been skipped, but here is what I've seen off hand.
Won't work if you skip OOBE:
  • Manage Applications
  • More to be added as found
How to skip OOBE
  1. After restoring the TWRP backup
  2. Install the "skip-OOBE.zip" via TWRP
  3. Reboot system
  4. You will end up on the custom launcher home
  5. You will either need an OTG adapter, or to plug the stick into a computer and use adb + scrcpy. You can use Flakie's ADB GUI or ADBLink to help with that. You may be able to use the fire tv remote app on a mobile device but this has not been tested.
  6. Navigate to the settings by holding enter on one of the icons
    1. Go to Android settings
    2. Remotes > Amazon Fire TV Remotes > Add New Remote
    3. Enter = the Ok button, when asked to click ok on the "old" remote
  7. Done!

How to Restore without USB Hub and USB Stick
* Probably just as easy if not easier to just used the "How to Restore without OTG" option

Plug the firestick into the computer, run the following via adb:

Code:
adb shell
twrp mkdir /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
exit
adb push data.ext4.win /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
adb push data.ext4.win.md5 /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
adb push boot.emmc.win /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
adb push boot.emmc.win.md5 /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
adb shell
twrp wipe cache
twrp wipe dalvik
twrp wipe data
twrp restore /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9

rm -r /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9/*
exit

adb push system_image.emmc.win /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
adb push system_image.emmc.win.md5 /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
adb push vendor_image.emmc.win /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9
adb push vendor_image.emmc.win.md5 /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9

Plug the OTG in and get back to TWRP and restore the remaining partitions, via the GUI with the mouse. Delete the /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9 folder using the file manager

How to Restore without OTG

Code:
adb shell
exit
adb shell
twrp wipe cache
twrp wipe dalvik
twrp wipe data

exit

adb shell
reboot

Apps included in this ROM
Tweaks

The future:
I may release another version in the future without the Google Play store installed. I also am not sure which "version" of the play store I prefer (open to suggestions one way or another)
For v1 (my naming scheme) I used this guide: [ROOT] [Guide] Google Apps Install + Pass Safetynet + Help/Extra Info (Sheldon/p)
For v2 (my naming scheme) I used this guide: [GUIDE] Google Play Store on rooted Fire TV (Systemless / microG)
I've used "v2" for this first image.
I did some side by side testing. They were as scientific as I could make them but it is hard to get 100% repeatable results. But ranked from fastest to slowest was:
No playstore
Playstore v2
Playstore v1
While there was very minor difference between v1 and v2. No playstore seemed to at least have a somewhat noticeable and repeatable speed advantage, though it is still quite minor.

Guides and apps that made this ROM possible
[Guide] [ROM] (mantis) Fire TV Stick 4K Prerooted Android TV Rom (6.2.7.6)

[UNLOCK][ROOT][TWRP][UNBRICK] Fire TV Stick 3 and Fire TV Stick Lite (sheldon/p)
Fire TV Stick 4K/Lite/3rd Gen Build.prop Tweaks (Works with latest FireOS) (Need Root)
[APP][FIRETV][NOROOT] Launcher Manager (Change Launcher without Root)
Fire TV Stick Lite/3 (sheldon/p) Firmware
[GUIDE] Google Play Store on rooted Fire TV (Systemless / microG)
Magisk 25.1 for Fire TV
[ROOT] [Guide] Google Apps Install + Pass Safetynet + Help/Extra Info (Sheldon/p)
Universal SafetyNet Fix
MagiskHideProps
LSPosed
FakeGApps
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Firmware and apps

Thanks to:
@SweenWolf
@tsynik
@Skel40
@Flakie
@Tech0308
@t3chg33k
@burcbuluklu
@k4y0z
exoteric.roach.org - for the wallpaper
@PesiCC - for pointing out how to TRWP restore only some partitions
and to the many more whom I used the information they posted on xda and throughout the web.

Attachments

• Skip-OOBE-v1.2.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 119
  • PS7249-Playstore.v2-Final-4.4.rar
    1.5 GB · Views: 405
Last edited:

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
Thank you for all the work you put into this!

But where is your custom ROM file?

Last edited:

bnevets27

Oct 19, 2010
WOW, finally a Sheldon ROM! THANK YOU!! I can't wait to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Yeah it's a bit late in the product's lifecycle, unfortunately. I just happen to get a few for cheap and that allowed me to play around with them easier. Sheldon doesn't get as much love as mantis but they are just as good as long as you don't need 4K.

All the knowledge I learned playing with this though is transferable to mantis to make an updated ROM for the new remotes. I plan to post my procedure/notes on the process. They just need to be cleaned up. I hope to also make a newer ROM for mantis but it will be a while till I have time for that. With the info I provided maybe someone else can do it. After I figured out certain things it was relatively easy. It was just really time consuming to figure out certain aspects. Unfortunately, the updates are also killing the ability to gain root so the target audience is sadly getting smaller.

Reactions: AmberLynn

VelvetB

Jan 5, 2018
Boca Raton, FL
Moto E6
I have it working and like it much. I tried the USB hub/stick method but I ended up going with TWRP & adb. For me TWRP, seems sensitive to different sticks and hubs. I tried 4 different hubs and sticks and found a consistently working combo with an old Belkin 2.0 bus powered hub and 4GB Sony stick. I don't know if there's a size limit but I couldn't get anything larger than 4GB working. Using TWRP/adb I do need to go back to the PC to transfer the backups and free up space, but that literally takes only seconds. I used the voiceview exploit to sign in and link the remote. I continued to get the "Amazon needs to update" message but that went away after a few restarts. I put it on another fire stick and the 2nd time took less than a 1/2 hour to end up with a complete, rooted stick with apps I like installed. I added Kodi and Puffin. First time trying Puffin and it's okay but when I discovered that it was a one-week trial I uninstalled it and went with the now unsupported Firefox. I need to find something else, what do you use? Thanks again for this efficient and well thought out ROM! Is there any benefit or need to update the Amazon app?

WOW, finally a Sheldon ROM! THANK YOU!! I can't wait to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sheldon already has a rom produced by Rortiz2.
I mean great work to the OP taking the time to produce a twrp backup but lets not forget to credit the guys who done the hard work to make this possible (ie the root , twrp ) If it werent for this , this wouldnt be possible . Just saying

Regards

VelvetB

Jan 5, 2018
Boca Raton, FL
Moto E6
Couldn't agree more! Kudos to all these highly intelligent and skilled developers who donate their time for the benefit of others. You are correct, I misspoke saying "finally a custom ROM". I've used the Lineage ROM and think it's awesome. I meant a custom ROM with apps setup, ready to rock. While searching for 1, there are so many for mantis yet this is the 1st I've found for Sheldon. Before finding this, I'd been adding apps to Lineage and just realized I was going to need Magisk. It takes me some time to setup Magisk, install modules, etc. This one works well.

Reactions: Bertonumber1

bnevets27

Oct 19, 2010
I have it working and like it much. I tried the USB hub/stick method but I ended up going with TWRP & adb. For me TWRP, seems sensitive to different sticks and hubs. I tried 4 different hubs and sticks and found a consistently working combo with an old Belkin 2.0 bus powered hub and 4GB Sony stick. I don't know if there's a size limit but I couldn't get anything larger than 4GB working. Using TWRP/adb I do need to go back to the PC to transfer the backups and free up space, but that literally takes only seconds. I used the voiceview exploit to sign in and link the remote. I continued to get the "Amazon needs to update" message but that went away after a few restarts. I put it on another fire stick and the 2nd time took less than a 1/2 hour to end up with a complete, rooted stick with apps I like installed. I added Kodi and Puffin. First time trying Puffin and it's okay but when I discovered that it was a one-week trial I uninstalled it and went with the now unsupported Firefox. I need to find something else, what do you use? Thanks again for this efficient and well thought out ROM! Is there any benefit or need to update the Amazon app?
I also found the fire tv stick to be picky about OTG adapters and hubs. I was hoping to provide a way that doesn't require them at all but it looks like TRWP lacks the commands to restore some of the partitions needed for this to work.

I don't use a web browser on the fire stick. Silk from what I understand is the official browser from amazon which I think works well but again, I've never used a web browser on this.

As for updating, my rule is if everything is working then don't update. If you find something that isn't working then an update may fix it but it also may break other things. So if there isn't a specific reason to do so, I wouldn't update just for the sake of updating.

Thanks for reporting back. Now I know at least it does work fine for another person. As I said, I tried to test this a lot but definitely needed feedback from others to confirm it's working correctly,

I mean great work to the OP taking the time to produce a twrp backup but lets not forget to credit the guys who done the hard work to make this possible (ie the root , twrp ) If it werent for this , this wouldnt be possible . Just saying

Regards

I was really excited that there was a LineageOS rom for sheldon, installed it first thing when I got the sheldon. Unfortunately, with Netflix not working it's hard to actually use that rom on a daily use device. I hate that it's a "requirement" for everyone I know but can't change that. There are a couple other things that the fireOS has that isn't in LineageOS or any android tv rom. For example, scaling the image. I know the first response to that is to use the tv's scaling, but some tv's don't have that option. It may be older tv issue but that's what I find the sheldon sticks to be good for. I think only the fireOS has the audio latency adjustment also, but not 100% on that one.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to do away with all that is amazon on these sticks but unfortunately there is some reasons to keep it around.

As for credit where credit is due, please let me know if I've missed anyone that I should have thanked. All of this was made possible by other peoples work, I'm very aware of that. I tried to make sure I linked to all the threads I used information/tools etc. from, and including thanks to developers who's work I used.

As for credit where credit is due, please let me know if I've missed anyone that I should have thanked. All of this was made possible by other peoples work, I'm very aware of that. I tried to make sure I linked to all the threads I used information/tools etc. from, and including thanks to developers who's work I used.
Hey,

Thanks for the response, ofc I totally agree that these devices should be free of amazon crap. I'm currently trying to mod a patched Tank 2nd gen. 800mb free of 8gb and all I have on the device is smart tube and cinema HD. Its an absolute joke the bloatware on these devices and they won't even let you change a launcher.

Excellent work BTW. And didnt mean to sound as though I was pissin in your cornflakes. Just always good to mention the guys that unlocked and enabled development on these devices.

Keep up the good work.

Regarss

PesiCC

Mar 15, 2014
Nis
Sony Xperia Z
Amazon Fire TV
NOTE: This isn't possible at the moment. If someone can tell me the commands to restore the system image and vendor image partitions in TWRP, then this will be possible.
It looks like it might be impossible to backup/restore the system image and vendor image via cmd line/openrecoveryscript, according to this.

Code:
adb shell
exit
adb shell
twrp wipe cache
twrp wipe dalvik
twrp wipe data
twrp restore /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9 D:
twrp restore /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9 B:

exit

twrp restore /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9 D: <- Data partition. Needs to be system image, how?
twrp restore /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9 B: <- Boot partition. Needs to be vendor image, how?
It is possible to restore system and vendor without OTG.

Make sure the only files in the backup folder are the system and vendor files.
Then run the command without the arguments that specify what you are restoring.

The command would look like this:
Code:

It will proceed to restore only system and vendor after.

Awesome job with the rom by the way, keep it up!
Cheers.

EDIT: Arguments to specify system and vendor image exist but are not functional for some reason.
For more info see:
TWRP Commandline guide

Reactions: bnevets27

bnevets27

Oct 19, 2010
It is possible to restore system and vendor without OTG.

Make sure the only files in the backup folder are the system and vendor files.
Then run the command without the arguments that specify what you are restoring.

The command would look like this:
Code:

It will proceed to restore only system and vendor after.

Awesome job with the rom by the way, keep it up!
Cheers.

EDIT: Arguments to specify system and vendor image exist but are not functional for some reason.
For more info see:
TWRP Commandline guide
I don't know how I missed such an obvious option on how to restore the image in two parts. This would have saved me a ton of aggregation.

Updated the OP, an OTG adapter is not a requirement anymore!

As you noticed I was trying to use arguments for system_image and vendor_image. But there aren't any working commands for that (found definitive proof here). Thanks for the suggestion of just using the general twrp restore

Last edited:
Reactions: PesiCC

VelvetB

Jan 5, 2018
Boca Raton, FL
Moto E6
Slight update to my above post, I have been able to get a large USB drive working with an older spider hub. ROM is working great, as suggested I haven't updated the OS. Amazing to me how little love your wonderful ROM has received. I think it would benefit any members using the word NETFLIX or NEWBIE while posting in the Lineage forum, to be pointed here by an administrator. You've got a big fan here, thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This was inspired by the ROM @burcbuluklu made for mantis (4k). Creating this image took a lot of time and effort to figure out. One key difference I was aiming for, was for you, the user to not need to use an OTG adapter and keyboard to complete the setup and pair the remote. I also wanted the user to go through the standard setup (OOBE), including setting up the equipment controls, if applicable. I finally managed to accomplish both.

Please understand what this process entails. I've tried to provide as much info and guidance as possible but you should have a good understanding of the basics (TWRP, rooting, etc).

This has only been used by me thus far. While I've done many restores on a few sticks multiple times to ensure everything goes smoothly, consider this BETA as it hasn't been tested by others. If you are comfortable with getting yourself out of trouble, please try this out and report back.

So far there doesn't seem to be any report of this ROM causing issues thus far, so it could be considered stable now.

You do this at at your own risk. No warranty is explicit or implied. With that out of the way.

Some Info:
    Android Version: 9
    Fire OS Version: 7.2.4.9
    TWRP Version: 3.6.1_9-0
    Magisk Version: 25.1.FTV
    Launcher: Wolf Launcher
    Internal Storage after installation: 3.41 GB
    Netflix works

Screenshot:
    1667611633350.png

Requirements:
    • Computer
    • Firestick
    • Possible with:
      • Just a Computer
    • Possibly easier with some or all of the following:
      • TV or Monitor
      • OTG Adapter
      • USB Hub
      • USB Keyboard/Mouse
      • USB Stick Formatted Fat32

Before we start:
    1. Be aware that your warranty will be void.
    2. Backup your files.
    3. All of your apps will be wiped. Technically the "data partition" / "sdcard" will not be wiped but it should be a backed up just incase

1. Root - How to root
    2. If not 3rd Gen (Sheldonp) then convert to Sheldonp, see: Convert Lite (Sheldon) to Sheldonp (3rd Gen)
      1. Sheldon = Fire TV Stick Lite - 1st Gen
      2. Sheldonp = Fire TV Stick - 3rd Gen
      3. if you aren't sure, you can check with this command from adb:
        1. Code:
          adb shell getprop ro.product.device
    3. Confirm stick is on 7.2.4.9 or flash stock rom, see: Flash stock ROM
      1. To check which version you are on:
        1. Go to Settings > My Fire TV > About > Software Version
        2. or, from adb (doesn't work in TWRP)
        3. Code:
          adb shell getprop ro.build.version.name
    4. Restore TWRP image from this thread
      1. Use OTG adapter, a USB hub, a USB stick and a mouse
        1. Extract the zip attached to this thread to the following path: /TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9/
        2. Mount the USB stick in TWRP
        3. Go to restore and select storage
        4. Find the folder with the unzipped files
        5. Swipe to Restore
      2. or, if you don't have an OTG adapter (Only a computer is needed)
        1. See: How to Restore without OTG
      3. or, if you don't have a USB Hub and USB Stick but have an OTG adapter
        1. See: How to Restore without USB Hub and USB Stick
    5. Most will skip this step. If you want to skip OOBE, see: Option to Skip OOBE (Amazon registration)
    6. Reboot system
    7. First boot will take a little while, be patient.
    8. On screen will say, press play on the remote.
      1. Press play, if it does work right away, press it a few times, if that doesn't work, hold it for a second or two
      2. if that doesn't work
      3. Hold home button for 10 seconds, then press play
    9. Setup WiFi
    10. It will try to update but fail (as the amazon servers are blocked in the host file)
    11. Once it fails hold the back key and menu button at the same time for a few seconds, as outlined here
    12. Once Voice View is displayed, press the back button
    13. Now sign in and continue through the setup as normal
    14. Once the setup is complete you will end up on the launcher (wolf launcher in this case)
    15. Give the stick a full minute or so and it will reboot itself. If after a few minutes it does not, reboot it.
    16. When it reboots, the stick will have been debloated
    17. It's ready to use
    Note:
    • Screensavers
      • Backdrop is enabled by default
        • Backdrop = Chromecast screensaver
      • Aerial Views is installed and can be enabled in the settings
        • Aerial Views = Apple TV screensaver
      • Warning: Aerial Views uses a lot of bandwidth (it plays video constantly). I would not suggest using it if you are on a limited data usage.
    • More debloat
      • If you would like to disable more bloat/amazon apps, use the debloat toolbox found in the system folder
        • select what you want to debloat, then select play (top right)
    • Less debloat
      • If you want to remove all the debloating, use the debloat toolbox found in the system folder.
        • Select all, then select all again (until nothing is checked), then click play (top right)
    • Re-bloat to "stock"
      • If you want to go back to how the stick was bloated when it was first setup
        • Go to magisk > modules, then enable "FireTV/FireOS 7 Debloat"
        • Reboot, give it a minute and it will reboot itself, it will now have been debloated
    • Important: Never install magisk updates from magisk. Use TWRP.
    • If you want to create TWRP backup, select "System Image" and "Vendor Image" instead of system and vendor. <- Thanks @burcbuluklu
    • Suggestion: FX Web Access makes it easier to transfer files.

Remote Button Changes
    • Holding the back button will kill the foreground app
    • Holding the home button will kill all background apps
    • Holding the menu button will bring up the "HUD"/quick settings. By default this was assigned to the home button
    Remapping buttons
    1. Open system folder on launcher home screen
    2. Click "xposed edge" (green rectangle with < )
    3. Select "Keys"
    4. Now click on the button you want to change
    Note:
    • The button must have the green check mark or the changes will have no effect
    • Clicking the checkbox must be done with a mouse, either with OTG or through adb + scrcpy (Flakie's ADB GUI or ADBLink)
    Remapping "extra" buttons
    You can assign whichever app you like (or any other option) to the additional buttons on the remote. This has been setup for the remote with the following buttons: Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Music. If your remote is different you will have to add the buttons to xposed edge, see: To add buttons to exposed edge

The following is which "app" is mapped to which button on the remote:
    • KEYCODE_APP_1 = Netflix
    • KEYCODE_APP_2 = prime video
    • KEYCODE_APP_3 = Disney+
    • KEYCODE_APP_4 = amazon music
    Note: You can not remap a button if the app associated with that button is installed or enabled. You must either uninstall or disable the app first. The amazon apps can be disabled via the debloat tool.

To add buttons to exposed edge:
    • A mouse (via OTG or Flakie ABD GUI/ADBLink) is needed to check the check boxes/enable the mapping, it's also needed to click OK when adding a button to be mapped
    • Steps to get button added:
      1. Click “+”
      2. Press button on remote
      3. This will open the app or some sort or dialog
      4. Press back button on the remote, once only
      5. Use the mouse to click ok

Convert Lite (Sheldon) to Sheldonp (3rd Gen)

From twrp recovery or adb
    Code:
    adb shell resetprop ro.product.device sheldonp

Flash stock ROM

Get stock ROMs from here
    If you are blocking updates to your fire tv sticks on your router, you may need to remove “d1s31zyz7dcc2d.cloudfront” from the block list. Careful your other sticks don't update, if you have others connected to the same network.
    1. Rename *.bin to *.zip
    2. Boot to recovery/TWRP
      1. If using OTG + USB,
        1. Navigate to wipe
        2. "Wipe to Factory Reset"
        3. Mount USB
          1. Select Mount
          2. Check Storage 1
        4. Install img
          1. Go to install
          2. Select storage
          3. Storage 1 > Ok
          4. Navigate to the 7.2.4.9.zip > Click it
          5. "Swipe to confirm Flash"
          6. Delete the zip by going to Advanced > File Manager
      2. or, from adb
        1. adb push name_of_file.zip /sdcard
        2. adb shell
        3. twrp wipe cache
        4. twrp wipe dalvik
        5. twrp wipe data
        6. twrp wipe system
        7. twrp install /sdcard/name_of_file.zip
        8. rm /sdcard/name_of_file.zip
      3. Boot to FireOS (Not sure if this is necessary but no harm, it will take a while, but will land on the setup screen)
      4. Reboot to TRWP
        1. To reboot to TWRP
          1. with OTG and mouse to click cancel
          2. or
          3. Run the command in linux as outlined in the rooting thread
            1. Hint: ./boot-recovery.sh

Option to Skip OOBE (Amazon registration)

There are things that will not work if you skip OOBE. I do not know the extent of what is non-functional when OOBE has been skipped, but here is what I've seen off hand.
    Won't work if you skip OOBE:
    • Manage Applications
    • More to be added as found
    How to skip OOBE
    1. After restoring the TWRP backup
    2. Install the "skip-OOBE.zip" via TWRP
    3. Reboot system
    4. You will end up on the custom launcher home
    5. You will either need an OTG adapter, or to plug the stick into a computer and use adb + scrcpy. You can use Flakie's ADB GUI or ADBLink to help with that. You may be able to use the fire tv remote app on a mobile device but this has not been tested.
    6. Navigate to the settings by holding enter on one of the icons
      1. Go to Android settings
      2. Remotes > Amazon Fire TV Remotes > Add New Remote
      3. Enter = the Ok button, when asked to click ok on the "old" remote
    7. Done!

How to Restore without USB Hub and USB Stick
    * Probably just as easy if not easier to just used the "How to Restore without OTG" option

Code:
    adb shell
    exit
    adb shell
    twrp wipe cache
    twrp wipe dalvik
    twrp wipe data

exit

Plug the OTG in and get back to TWRP and restore the remaining partitions, via the GUI with the mouse. Delete the /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/7.2.4.9 folder using the file manager

How to Restore without OTG

Code:
    adb shell
    exit
    adb shell
    twrp wipe cache
    twrp wipe dalvik
    twrp wipe data

exit

adb shell
    reboot

Apps included in this ROM
    Tweaks

The future:
    I may release another version in the future without the Google Play store installed. I also am not sure which "version" of the play store I prefer (open to suggestions one way or another)
    For v1 (my naming scheme) I used this guide: [ROOT] [Guide] Google Apps Install + Pass Safetynet + Help/Extra Info (Sheldon/p)
    For v2 (my naming scheme) I used this guide: [GUIDE] Google Play Store on rooted Fire TV (Systemless / microG)
    I've used "v2" for this first image.
    I did some side by side testing. They were as scientific as I could make them but it is hard to get 100% repeatable results. But ranked from fastest to slowest was:
    No playstore
    Playstore v2
    Playstore v1
    While there was very minor difference between v1 and v2. No playstore seemed to at least have a somewhat noticeable and repeatable speed advantage, though it is still quite minor.

Guides and apps that made this ROM possible
    [Guide] [ROM] (mantis) Fire TV Stick 4K Prerooted Android TV Rom (6.2.7.6)

[UNLOCK][ROOT][TWRP][UNBRICK] Fire TV Stick 3 and Fire TV Stick Lite (sheldon/p)
    Fire TV Stick 4K/Lite/3rd Gen Build.prop Tweaks (Works with latest FireOS) (Need Root)
    [APP][FIRETV][NOROOT] Launcher Manager (Change Launcher without Root)
    [GUIDE] Google Play Store on rooted Fire TV (Systemless / microG)
    Magisk 25.1 for Fire TV
    [ROOT] [Guide] Google Apps Install + Pass Safetynet + Help/Extra Info (Sheldon/p)
    Universal SafetyNet Fix
    MagiskHideProps
    LSPosed
    FakeGApps
    Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Firmware and apps

Thanks to:
    @SweenWolf
    @tsynik
    @Skel40
    @Flakie
    @Tech0308
    @t3chg33k
    @burcbuluklu
    @k4y0z
    exoteric.roach.org - for the wallpaper
    @PesiCC - for pointing out how to TRWP restore only some partitions
    and to the many more whom I used the information they posted on xda and throughout the web.
    Thank you for all the work you put into this!

But where is your custom ROM file?
    I've been trying to attach it. It gets to 100%, looks like it's there but then when I hit save it disappears.

EDIT: Got it added now.
    I also found the fire tv stick to be picky about OTG adapters and hubs. I was hoping to provide a way that doesn't require them at all but it looks like TRWP lacks the commands to restore some of the partitions needed for this to work.

I don't use a web browser on the fire stick. Silk from what I understand is the official browser from amazon which I think works well but again, I've never used a web browser on this.

As for updating, my rule is if everything is working then don't update. If you find something that isn't working then an update may fix it but it also may break other things. So if there isn't a specific reason to do so, I wouldn't update just for the sake of updating.

Thanks for reporting back. Now I know at least it does work fine for another person. As I said, I tried to test this a lot but definitely needed feedback from others to confirm it's working correctly,

Regards

I was really excited that there was a LineageOS rom for sheldon, installed it first thing when I got the sheldon. Unfortunately, with Netflix not working it's hard to actually use that rom on a daily use device. I hate that it's a "requirement" for everyone I know but can't change that. There are a couple other things that the fireOS has that isn't in LineageOS or any android tv rom. For example, scaling the image. I know the first response to that is to use the tv's scaling, but some tv's don't have that option. It may be older tv issue but that's what I find the sheldon sticks to be good for. I think only the fireOS has the audio latency adjustment also, but not 100% on that one.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to do away with all that is amazon on these sticks but unfortunately there is some reasons to keep it around.

what I did was installed the OOBE zip when I was restoring the backup. Was that not what we all did? lol
    Depending your intented end goal. If you don't want to have any Amazon services/don't want to setup the fire tv with an Amazon account and don't mind some breakages (manage apps doesn't work), then flashing the OOBE skip zip is correct.

We were discussing ways to prevent OTA. During the OOBE, the packages that are normally disabled to prevent OTA have to be enabled or the OOBE won't complete.

In this rom, I blocked the fire tv from accessing the OTA servers via the host file. If I didn't and left the OOBE enabled, then the fire tv will update. Unless of course the user blocks the OTA servers via their router.

Skel40 is talking about patching the package to fool the OS into thinking it's fully updated, thus doesn't need to be disable (so the OOBE will run fine) nor do the Amazon OTA servers need to be blocked. It also will skip the step where the OOBE tries to update and fails, where the user has to use the voice view trick to get past that screen.