[ROM] SlimLP 5.1.1 for Amazon Fire 2015 (DISCONTINUED)

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I can not mount any external Micro SD card. I have tried a new 128GB SanDisk Micro SD card which is working perfectly in my laptop, and is not getting detected by my tablet. Mount SD card and Erase SD card options are not working, and do not grey out when the card is removed. I have tried rebooting my tablet multiple times and is still not working correctly. I have also tried other cards including an 8 GB SanDisk Class 4. I have had this problem before and really want to get my new Micro SD card working, especially considering the fact that there is only 8GB of internal storage on this tablet.
See previous post regarding state of SlimLP. Other thoughts:
- reboot device; amazing how often this fixes SD card issues
- see if card is detectable in a 3rd party app such as Apps2SD, Link2SD or a file explorer/manager
- test format a small (≤32GB) FAT32 partition on another device
- try a different ROM to validate card reader is working; you can backup and restore SlimLP image using FlashFire

Drivepnut

May 18, 2016
Hello XDA Dev. Team –

Any help with the below issue would be extremely appreciated. That being said, I will no matter what be reading every post related so I can to fully educate myself for the future, which is what I should have done in the first place. I’m angry at myself for doing these things without fully understanding how it all works.

• I recently purchased an Amazon Fire 7” 5th generation Tablet (16GB). HERE
• I used RootJunky’s supertool to downgrade to version 5.1.2 from 5.1.4
• I then used RootJunky’s supertool to root the device, install Google apps, remove ads -
• I then used RootJunky’s supertool to replace the fire launcher with nova launcher. - HERE
• Everything worked great, but I noticed I couldn’t use widgets, so I decided to try a ROM.
• So I then followed the instructions in flashing the Nexus Rom here - > HERE
• Everything was great at this point except for two issues - I would get Netflix errors when trying to play videos, and I kept getting the annoying the unfortunately Google play services is not responding messages.
• So I thought I would try flashing a new ROM. This is where it all went bad…
• I downloaded the Unofficial SlimLP 0.15 (20160321) by clicking on the link in this thread. HERE
• I flashed the ROM with flashfire.
• Installed fine, however somehow I lost root access, and SupeSu and flashfire disappeared. So now I’m stuck.…
• I can’t download anything as I can’t get Google Play. I also can’t get into recovery as when I try it just freezes at the Amazon screen.
• I can get into fastboot, and I can get into SlimLP, but that’s it.
• Note I tried installing Gapps through rootjunky’s supertool, and they installed, but apparently aren’t compatible as google play won’t open. I just get an error.

Any help would be extremely appreciated….Thanks for your time.

Current SlimLP About Tablet screenshot attached.
Did you ever find the solution to this problem cause same exact thing happened to me

Drivepnut

May 18, 2016
I lost root root when I installed slim lp. I know I did everything right as I followed rootjunky instructions word by word. Everything was fine until I booted up. I went to supersu and I couldn't update binary. Downloaded rootchecker and it says I am not rooted. So I get ready to restore Amazon firmware so I can root tablet again. I power device off and then hold down power and volume down, it gets stuck on Amazon screen and I can't get into recovery. I have to hold the power button for 15 seconds so it will go away so I can turn device back on. Is there a fix for this. Any help in advance is appreciated.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I lost root root when I installed slim lp. I know I did everything right as I followed rootjunky instructions word by word. Everything was fine until I booted up. I went to supersu and I couldn't update binary. Downloaded rootchecker and it says I am not rooted. So I get ready to restore Amazon firmware so I can root tablet again. I power device off and then hold down power and volume down, it gets stuck on Amazon screen and I can't get into recovery. I have to hold the power button for 15 seconds so it will go away so I can turn device back on. Is there a fix for this. Any help in advance is appreciated.
Well, that's not good. Button combination to access stock recovery is <power> + <vol-up>, where <vol-up> is the button nearest the headphone jack.

There is no known recovery if the device will not progress beyond the Amazon logo. Contact Amazon for a courtesy exchange if still under warranty.

Tip: skip SlimLP and go for CM 12.1 next time around. To many bad outcomes with this build.

Drivepnut

May 18, 2016
Well, that's not good. Button combination to access stock recovery is <power> + <vol-up>, where <vol-up> is the button nearest the headphone jack.

There is no known recovery if the device will not progress beyond the Amazon logo. Contact Amazon for a courtesy exchange if still under warranty.

Tip: skip SlimLP and go for CM 12.1 next time around. To many bad outcomes with this build.
I thought that button near the headset jack was the down button. It's strange because I can just press power and it will turn on and I am stuck with using it with no root but when I try to go in recovery it gets stuck at the Amazon logo. I wonder what cause all that to happen

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I thought that button near the headset jack was the down button. It's strange because I can just press power and it will turn on and I am stuck with using it with no root but when I try to go in recovery it gets stuck at the Amazon logo. I wonder what cause all that to happen
One question. Could I use rootjunky super tool to root it even though it is on the slim lp rom or is that no no

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

One question. Could I use rootjunky super tool to root it even though it is on the slim lp rom or is that no no
An apparent interaction between FlashFire and SlimLP permanently borks access to the stock recovery partition. Happened with other 5th gen Fire ROMs (especially CM 12.1) in early releases but developer identified and addressed the issue nearly a year ago. There is no known fix short of sending device back to Amazon for a courtesy exchange if still in warranty.

You can try rooting with KingRoot 4.x (no need to use SuperTool); others have tried without success. However, KingRoot is continuously evolving so maybe you will have better luck. Be aware KingRoot is borderline malware that often spawns other issues that are difficult to resolve.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2014
See previous post regarding state of SlimLP. Other thoughts:
- reboot device; amazing how often this fixes SD card issues
- see if card is detectable in a 3rd party app such as Apps2SD, Link2SD or a file explorer/manager
- test format a small (≤32GB) FAT32 partition on another device
- try a different ROM to validate card reader is working; you can backup and restore SlimLP image using FlashFire

Already tried rebooting device and has still not been detected. Tried using third party app to check, not recognized, formatted a 16 GB Kingston Micro SD on my computer and plugged it into tablet, still not detected, now just completely formatted the device and reinstalled FireOS 5.1.1 and still no Micro SD cards are detected. Is there any way that I can fix this?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Already tried rebooting device and has still not been detected. Tried using third party app to check, not recognized, formatted a 16 GB Kingston Micro SD on my computer and plugged it into tablet, still not detected, now just completely formatted the device and reinstalled FireOS 5.1.1 and still no Micro SD cards are detected. Is there any way that I can fix this?
Possible hardware problem given symptoms are identical after restoring FireOS. Contact Amazon for an exchange (if still in warranty).

Reactions: sd_shadow

NightCrayon

Nov 11, 2016
Pasco, WA

Make sure the partition is formatted as a primary partition and not a logical one. I had this same issue with a different ROM on a different device. Use minitool or other partitioning software to verify partition type. Ensure partition is formatted as a primary partition. This may not fix your problem, but its worth trying.

Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
do not flash version 0.15
otherwise you will stuck with the rom without root nor recovery
Will take it a step further and say do not flash this ROM period. There has been limited (essentially no) developer support since initial release and many less than favorable outcomes. The perceived merits of SlimLP over other stable ROMs for this device do not offset this risks IMHO. At minimum review thread for detail and know what you are buying into.

Last edited:
Reactions: wuhoatu and Marsu42

wuhoatu

Sep 15, 2012
Will take it a step further and say do not flash this ROM period. There has been limited (essentially no) developer support since initial release and many less than favorable outcomes. The perceived merits of SlimLP over other stable ROMs for this device do not offset this risks IMHO. At minimum review thread for detail and know what you are buying into.
I myself would like to say many thanks to developers. v 0.14 is the first room I flash to my fire. Just warning about the risk of 0.15

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER
    We are not responsible for any damage, bootloop, bricked or broken tablets and Relationships.

slimroms.png

Team @csolanol, @diegocr & @lovejoy777

This is an unofficial SlimLP build for Amazon Fire 2015 (aka FORD).
    It includes all SlimRoms features plus some added mods.

Issues
    • Bluetooth
    • Video playing
    • USB OTG
    • Camera can take pictures but not video
    • Orientation artifact while turning screen off

Notice
    Art optimized v2.3 build became DISCONTINUED

Additional features
    • SuperSU built in
    • AdAway built in
    • Network traffic monitor
    • App icon on toast notifications
    • Global menu
    • Screen Recorder through global menu (Settings under Interface section)
    • Prebuilt WebView
    • Double tap to sleep anywhere on the lock screen
    • Flat app picker
    • Unknown source apps enabled by default
    • Partition information menu
    • Show Optimizing app dialog on first boot and package names
    • Show application's package name in the "App info" screen
    • Added DocumentsUI as a standalone filemanager
    • Optimized apks to slim the build
    • init.d support
    • Something i don't remember

Installation
    • Reboot tablet to bootloader: adb shell reboot bootloader or power button + volume up
    • Boot recovery: fastboot boot TWRP_Fire_2.8.7.0_adb.img
    • Wipe dalvik cache, cache, data and system if you come from stock or another rom.
    • Flash Rom (supersu is included)
    • Flash Gapps (Slim Gapps recommended)
    • If you use FlashFire, be sure to wipe everything and move the wipes to the top of the flashing list.

Upgrading
    For dirty flashing i recommend cache, dalvik cache and system wipe. Flash rom and gapps and all should be ok.

Download

2u4ijqw.jpg

THANKS TO
    SlimRoms
    Cyanogenmod
    ezio84
    ggow

Happy flashing!!!

Device tree: https://github.com/csolanol/device_amazon_ford/tree/lp5.1

XDA:DevDB Information
    SlimLP 5.1.1, ROM for the Amazon Fire

Contributors
    csolanol, diegocr, lovejoy777
    Source Code: https://github.com/SlimLPFord

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: SlimRoms

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 0.15
    Beta Release Date: 2016-02-06

Created 2015-11-24
    Last Updated 2017-01-26
    UPDATES:
    2016/03/22
    • March google's security patch
    • Fix users not showing in global menu (circular avatar)
    2016/02/06
    • Bump to 0.15
    • Added layers support back. Thanks to @lovejoy777
    • Dark layers theme installed by default thanks to setiawanjimmy. You can remove it with built in layers manager app or removing /system/vendor/overlay stuff.
      Most of layers on play store doesn't work with this build because of themers doesn't support lp5.1 or mdpi devices. We will post some compatible themes soon.
    • Update to android 5.1.1_r34 with Google February security patch.
    • New project sources located at https://github.com/SlimLPFord (We will update the "how to build" post soon)
    2016/01/7
    • v2.3 with ezio mods is DISCONTINUED
    • Unofficial SlimLP b0.14 started (Added features listed in op).
    • Updated to android-5.1.1_r33 with latest security patches from google
    2015/12/19 - v2.3
    • Fix screen off glitch
    • Tagged as stable
    20151210 - v2.2b:
    • Update boot.img from 5.1.1 (Thanks @k4y0z for the kernel module)
    • Updated MTK flags to allow video work properly (Thanks @ggow).
    • Fixed camera video recording (Thanks @ggow).
    20151209 - v2.2:
    • Updated blobs from 5.1.1 OTA.
    • Moved selinux permissive from netd to a kernel module. Thanks to @k4y0z
    • Enable init.d support (Thanks to @k4y0z) on SuperSU flashing process.
    • Slimmed down the rom, now it's less than 193 Mb.
    • Fixed some dependencies.
    • Tested with latest slim mini gapps.
    20151202 - v2.1:
    • Fix google play movies not allowing to play movies.
    • Otg fixed.
    • Bluetooth sound fixed. Thanks to @ggow
    20151201 - v2.0:
    • Video playing should work now.
    • Camera is able to take pictures now but we broke video recording.
      If you find problems taking pictures after installing google camera a reboot will fix them.
    • Multiuser support.
    20151130 - v1.1:
    • Bluetooth fixed.
    Op updated with v2.2 and Changelog in second post.
    Enjoy!.
    Hi all, really disappointed with your comments about the rom.
    We don't force anyone to use this rom. This is the rom I have been using in my nexus 5 for a bunch of time and wanted to build it for this device when I got it.
    If you want, use it, if you don't like don't use it and let people and me do whatever we want to.
    Reading this I am not sure if I am going to continue updating it here. @diegocr and me did this for our own use and believe me, I really thought a lot about publish it here. Btw too much time passed until someone started to beg and and put **** over others work.
    You want x or y feature, add it to the sources and build it for you.

If you want to know about ezio optimizations you can visit his github at http://github.com/ezio84 read and learn some stuff.