• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [SM-G920P] [DEBLOAT/DEODEX] TDH-JR (Just enough ROM) [v5.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

hotwired34

Aug 27, 2007
So, I finally did a clean factory reset of my phone... after over 2 years of updates, rooting, versioning of ROMs, dirty flashing, etc.

I have to say thank you to @TdHide for a job well done. This is awesome!

One (minor) issue that I have found is that my pictures don't show in the Gallery after I close the camera app.

If the camera stays open, I can switch to the Gallery with the little round button to the right of the capture button and see the pics. However, if I exit the camera then open the Gallery, there are no pics. Going back into the camera also shows no pics.

Anyone else experiencing this? I've tried clearing the apps data and resetting permissions. No luck.

Thanks again for your help.

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
So, I finally did a clean factory reset of my phone... after over 2 years of updates, rooting, versioning of ROMs, dirty flashing, etc.

I have to say thank you to @TdH. . . One (minor) issue that I have found is that my pictures don't show in the Gallery after I close the camera app.

Hmm. Not experiencing that, but will sure try to repeat the issue.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy1life

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
hi!
Any way to enable wifi tether? i tried foxfi and wont work. I tried the flasheable zip in second post and I get error 7

Tether is built in. Don't try other methods is my opinion.

Can you just reflash the ROM and check that it is not actually working? And if not, please send a logcat. I need to see that the tether fix actually ran at boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: joej191

IamTCM

May 28, 2008
Hey @tdhite,

Just installed the rom and it's working mostly great. Thank you so much!!

However, when I hit the hotspot menu item, it says I'm not subscribed to the service. I thought that was fixed? Can you please advise?

Thanks again!

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Hey @tdhite,

Just installed the rom and it's working mostly great. Thank you so much!!

However, when I hit the hotspot menu item, it says I'm not subscribed to the service. I thought that was fixed? Can you please advise?

Thanks again!

Send me a logcat after a minute or so after a reboot. Hotspot definitely works, so need to see if something is wrong with the device boot.

Also, you are Sprint? Or another carrier?

Reactions: ossdevel

IamTCM

May 28, 2008
Send me a logcat after a minute or so after a reboot. Hotspot definitely works, so need to see if something is wrong with the device boot.

Also, you are Sprint? Or another carrier?

@tdhite, that's strange. Rebooted it with ADB and restarted and now it's working fine. It was my first boot after installation, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyway, thanks again for your work. Donation incoming :)

zackhow

Jul 15, 2010
San Marcos
@tdhite, that's strange. Rebooted it with ADB and restarted and now it's working fine. It was my first boot after installation, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyway, thanks again for your work. Donation incoming :)

I can confirm the above, first reboot still said I was not subscribed. So I installed the hotspot zip, still no go, just did a reflash(without wiping) of the rom and it worked. I would suggest to the next person to have the same issue to first reboot to see if it works, if not, reflash the rom, should work then.

Last edited:

blacksantron

May 27, 2012
Does the Sprint warning for going over 10gigs with the hotspot occur on this Rom? Only thing keeping me from moving to nougat is that stupid warning.

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Does the Sprint warning for going over 10gigs with the hotspot occur on this Rom? Only thing keeping me from moving to nougat is that stupid warning.

This ROM does not alter billing data. With that said, the mobile data warning is just a user setting in Settings -> Connections -> Data usage. Hotspot is added in just like everything else. Independent hotspot data, if memory service, is done via ip6tables filter chains. You could trick those rules if, if you really want, by just inserting a 'return' target at the start of the natcrtl_FORWARD chain that relates to wlan0 <-> rmnet_data0 and vice versa.

blacksantron

May 27, 2012
I don't think it's just a data usage setting warning on the phone because every phone on my account (3) will get the warning text when I go over 10gigs. On Android 6.0 I've never received this warning. Anymore information about altering the ip6 filter could be helpful.. I'd try it to see if it works.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

This ROM does not alter billing data. With that said, the mobile data warning is just a user setting in Settings -> Connections -> Data usage. Hotspot is added in just like everything else. Independent hotspot data, if memory service, is done via ip6tables filter chains. You could trick those rules if, if you really want, by just inserting a 'return' target at the start of the natcrtl_FORWARD chain that relates to wlan0 <-> rmnet_data0 and vice versa.
I don't think it's just a data usage setting warning on the phone because every phone on my account (3) will get the warning text when I go over 10gigs. On Android 6.0 I've never received this warning. Anymore information about altering the ip6 filter could be helpful.. I'd try it to see if it works.

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW

Turn on tethering, then look at "iptables -L -v" and "ip6tables -L -v" specifically for the natctl_FORWARD chains. There are counters there for the tethering packets. I have no idea how else such packets can be tracked, unless the app itself is magically marking packets (possible).

Nye-uhls

Jun 25, 2016
Grand Rapids
Turn on tethering, then look at "iptables -L -v" and "ip6tables -L -v" specifically for the natctl_FORWARD chains. There are counters there for the tethering packets. I have no idea how else such packets can be tracked, unless the app itself is magically marking packets (possible).

Sprint started allowing 10gb of free hotspot per month (it must be with plans started after a certain date, because i cant access it)

So presumably when you use hotspot on stock, it reports the data transferred in the same way that it verifies hotspot subscription... So presumably, your hotspot fix gets around that by using the phones normal data connection?

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Sprint started allowing 10gb of free hotspot per month (it must be with plans started after a certain date, because i cant access it)

So presumably when you use hotspot on stock, it reports the data transferred in the same way that it verifies hotspot subscription... So presumably, your hotspot fix gets around that by using the phones normal data connection?

There is only one data connection for tethering, there's no real magic there. All I am proposing is if one wanted to mask the data count specifically dealing with tethered connections, changing the iptables rules for the forward chains I note would seem the place to alter rules (by appropriate return targets).

If the tethering app is marking packets (technically possible), it would give horrible performance, I'd think, so I doubt it's doing that, but hey -- stranger things surely happen with carrier code.

--- update ---
Digging in, there is more to it, TTL drops are being watched, as are MAC address values, all can be handled by mangle chains. Point is, if one really wants to hide the usage, a set of iptables rules will probably suffice. There are still endpoint watches (windows update sites, Mac OS update sites, etc), so you have to mask that as well (difficult).

Last edited:

Nye-uhls

Jun 25, 2016
Grand Rapids
--- update ---
Digging in, there is more to it, TTL drops are being watched, as are MAC address values, all can be handled by mangle chains. Point is, if one really wants to hide the usage, a set of iptables rules will probably suffice. There are still endpoint watches (windows update sites, Mac OS update sites, etc), so you have to mask that as well (difficult).

Personally i haven't had any issues with the current way hotspot works. I'm mostly just curious at this point (and in case it ever does become an issue, I'd like to know what goes into it)

So are those values you reffered being monitored by sprint directly over your data connection? Or is it collected by a Sprint package of some sort, for example the mobile hotspot and tethering package (com.samsung.spg) or even just sprintzone or something like that? Because that'd be much easier to deal with than directly over the data connection, one could simply block the relevant sprint address in their hosts file (right? Lol)

P.s. you should post your rom and kernel to the main galaxy s6 forum, i think a lot of people don't think to check the sprint specific forum, even if they have g920p. (Also theres that other small carrier that uses g920p, american cellular or something like that)

lorddavid

Jun 3, 2008
Tether is built in. Don't try other methods is my opinion.

Can you just reflash the ROM and check that it is not actually working? And if not, please send a logcat. I need to see that the tether fix actually ran at boot.

Ok, I reinstall the rom, clean flash, I need to install Hotspot Fix Update??? because I cant see any native theter option. I added the hotspot shortcut with QuickShortcutMaker but wont open anything
Edit: The hotspot fix gave me error 7 in twrp

Last edited:

aven_soulgazer

Feb 20, 2008
I flashed this last night, tonight I was tethering and received a pop up box on my phone be talking about having modified files and it killed my data connection at the same to the. Don't know if it was linked or coincidence. Sadly I didn't screenshot it.

anon_coward

Feb 1, 2016
I flashed this last night, tonight I was tethering and received a pop up box on my phone be talking about having modified files and it killed my data connection at the same to the. Don't know if it was linked or coincidence. Sadly I didn't screenshot it.

I don't think you're the only one getting weird messages. Definitely holding off on Nougat in general. Wondering if everything is related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description
    TDH-JR is a stock derived ROM that is extremely debloated, deodexed and comes with a highly stable, tunable and fast kernel (@tdhite Skyhigh). This ROM is not for those seeking a lot of UI tweaks, mods or otherwise. If you want that, go get BiggDaddy or similar. This ROM is about sticking as close as possible to stock less the bloat, though also extremely battery efficient, fast, clean and highly stable.

Screenshots
    You can find Screenshot images in the Screenshots Tab.

Features
    • @tdhite Skyhigh kernel
    • @tdhite Hotspot/Tether fix
    • Netflix encryption fix
    • Deodexed
    • Extremely Debloated (Just enough ROM to Use, add your own apps)
    • Knox Removed
    • MobileID Removed
    • SuperSU Rooted (Prior to QF1 Release)
    • Magisk Rooted (QF1 and beyond).
    • Busybox (Not where Magisk is used as you must use the Magisk Module due to Magisk incompatibilities).
    • Essential build.prop and default.prop tweaks
    • Passes SafetyNet.

Downloads
    TDH-JR v54.0 (based on Firrmware version G920PVPS4DQH1):

Previous Releases

TDH-JR v4.0 (based on Firrmware version G920PVPS4DQF1):

TDH-JR v3.0 (based on Firrmware version G920PVPS4CQB1):

TDH-JR v2.0 (based on firmware version G920PVPS4CQA2):

TDH-JR v1.0 (For those running G920PVPU4CPL3 firnware).

How to Install
    1. READ THE DISCLAIMER BEFORE INSTALLING!
    2. Assure you are on the appropriately similar firmware (see Previous Releases above for the correct firmware for prior releases of this ROM).
    3. Make a backup of your existing rom (TWRP nandroid is best)
    4. Backup apps as desired (e.g., via Titanium Backup)
    5. Place the ROM flashable downloaded from the link(s) above in internal storage (e.g., /sdcard)
    6. Boot into TWRP Recovery
    7. Wipe Cache, Dalvik in all cases, Data if you are not dirty flashing.
      • Dirty flashing coming from pure stock may work, but no promises
      • Dirty flashing over a previous, clean install of this ROM should work fine
    8. Flash (i.e., Install in TWRP) the ROM flashable zip
    9. Reboot (to System)
    10. Enjoy!

Dirty Flashing
    Generally dirty flashing over stock setups should work fine, losing no settings. To do so:
    1. Upgrade to corresponding Firmware version (e.g., QF1) in Odin (or if you already have, no need);
    2. Copy the downloaded zip flashable to somewere in /sdcard (let's just presume that dir for now);
    3. Load TWRP Recovery;
    4. Backup your existing Stock QA2 ROM;
    5. Wipe Dalvik, Cache, System (Data optionally);
    6. Install this ROM from where you copied it (e.g., /sdcard/TDH-JR-G920P-QA2.zip);
    7. Reboot to System -- it will take a good long time (and likely at least one reboot), just hang with it;
    8. Once up, if you did not use the 'Briefing' Page in your UI, just turn it of again -- upgrades generally turn it back on;
    9. Enjoy.

After installing this ROM, the initial boot will take many minutes and will likely reboot at least once during its initial setup sequence. Many operations are taking place (e.g., Dalvik regeneration, Synapse support setup, etc.).

Special Thanks and Credits
    • [MENTION]SuperR.[/MENTION]@xda (For his fantastic Kitchen)
    • [MENTION]Chainfire[/MENTION]@xda (For the venerable SuperSU root)
    • [MENTION]topjohnwu[/MENTION]@xda (For the venerable Magisk root)
    • [MENTION]osm0sis[/MENTION]@xda (For the Android Kitchen and Busybox build)

XDA:DevDB Information
    TDH-JR, ROM for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6

Contributors
    tdhite
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: G920PVPS4DQF1
    Based On: Stock: G920PVPS4DQF1

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v5.0
    Stable Release Date: 2017-09-30

Created 2017-02-04
    Last Updated 2017-09-30
    Updated -- Sept 30, 2017

As the post title says, the ROM is updated to v5.0 which is based on QH1 firmware. The OP is updated.

As always, Read the Disclaimer!

This release installs Magisk v14.2 (1420) as the SU app and manager. Note that that version is 'beta' at this particular time, but frankly it's better than anything else to date, so it's included. I'll update things as the final release of Magisk for this version comes to fruition. To be sure, this thread is not a support thread for Magisk so post any related question in the Magisk threads. A few things to note:

• Magisk still loses root on Zygote based apps (your normal Android apps) when Magisk Hide is on. It is very difficult to pin it on anything, but we're all working on it. Root still works for shells, e.g., "add shell" but not apps -- this has nothing to do with the ROM, rather Magisk, so please do not post here on that topic;
    • Magisk installer will install MagiskManager v5.3.5.
    • The Magisk Module installer sometimes fails to install the module properly when flashing the ROM. Always look to see if /vendor/skyhigh exists (or /magisk/skyhigh). If not, just refresh the ROM and it *should* install. Either that or grab the magisk-module-skyhigh.zip from the kernel thread and flash it in recovery. Either way should work.

Enjoy!

:cowboy:
    Updated 07/16/2017

As the post title says, the ROM is updated to v4.0 which is based on QF1 firmware. The OP is updated.

As always, Read the Disclaimer!

This is the first release to use Magisk v13.2 as the SU app and manager. To be sure, this thread is not a support thread for Magisk so post any related question in the Magisk threads. A few things to note:

• Magisk tends to lose root on Zygote based apps (your normal Android apps) when Magisk Hide is on. Root still works for shells, e.g., "add shell" but not apps -- this has nothing to do with the ROM, rather Magisk, so please do not post here on that topic;
    • Magisk installer will initially install MagiskManager v5.04. Almost immediately, you should open the MagiskManager App and let it down and install the update (currently 5.06). Magisk will, sooner or later, tell you to do so anyway, just might as well do it right away.

Enjoy!

All,

It has been a pleasure working on this ROM for everyone. It is time to deprecate it, however, in favor of a newer method of achieving he same result.

I will release, tomorrow, a new kernel (SkyHigh) update and also will open a new thread for a new Magisk module that you can flash. That module performs even more debloating than his ROM and does so systemlessly (does not modify anything related to /system).

Look for that and again, my appreciation for all of you that contributed to me for this ROM. Hopefully it made folks' lives with this phone at least a bit better than pure stock.

Moderators, please close this thread.

Tester Update -- Feb 20, 2017

Update is ready for release presuming other testers go well.

The new version, TDH-JR-G920P-QA2-01 (based on latest QA2 firmware) is available here:

You *can* dirty flash over stock setup and it should work fine, losing no settings. To do so:

1. Upgrade to QA2 in Odin (or if you already have, no need);
    2. Copy the downloaded zip flashable to somewere in /sdcard (let's just presume that dir for now);
    3. Load TWRP Recovery;
    4. Backup your existing Stock QA2 ROM;
    5. Wipe Dalvik and Cache;
    6. Install this ROM from where you copied it (e.g., /sdcard/TDH-JR-G920P-QA2.zip);
    7. Reboot to System -- it will take a good long time (and likely at least one reboot), just hang with it;
    8. Once up, if you did not use the 'Briefing' Page in your UI, just turn it of again -- upgrades generally turn it back on;
    9. Enjoy.

Of note: I removed all the modules (thus also the Synapse page for Modules) from the kernel and built-in those that the vast, vast and very vast majority want (ExFAT and NTFS). Saves space. If we want the others back, let me know and I'll add them. Also, my SkyHigh kernel has quite a few other upgrades, including SmartMax governor and a slew of other optimizations. You will see it as v3.70. Just FYI -- I continue to use the ktoonservative, but may gamers may well prefer SmartMax as it is both battery efficient and also should be quite responsive to up-speed needs.

Let me know if there are any issues. If I hear nothing after a couple days, I'll post it up as released.