• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][SM-T500] Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020) - LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

wizzdome

Jan 10, 2012
Denver
I found that you can move apps to SD card on the updated stock rom by turning on a setting in developer options called force allow apps on SD or something along those lines. It does not let you moves system or stock apps but you can move the apps you install from the playstore. The my files storage explorer won't show the change in storage. To see your actual storage visit your installed apps on the play store. This will show your true free space. To move apps after turning the setting on... go to settings...apps.... select an app you want to move... choose storage. If it can be moved to SD you will have a button that says change. When you click that it gives option internal or sd... choose SD m and it will pop up a button that says move... click move and wait till it has moved.... rinse repeat with other apps will give you more room.

Note. If you move widgets to SD they will no longer load until you put them back to internal.
Does this ROM allow you to install apps to SD card? The Stock ROM doesn't and it's the main reason for me wanting to change OS

LainSzvahl

Sep 21, 2011
no matter what i do or how i try , i cannot get magisk to hide root, it keeps saying abnormal state on its own root binaries, ive installed linieage with out root and started it up checked it for root and it had none, but when i twrp magisk in, it writes to the boot.image saying it stock and modify's it and i have root great!, but when in lineage magisk app complains about its own root ( yes i have used the sm-t500 fix in the sh bash file ) but it still stays and applications still can see root even if i enable magiskhide so im not sure why magisk is having so much problems and doesnt help that the sar is readonly so i cant just remove the su binaries.

But if i dont install magisk this lineageos has no root which i need for some apps. really i know its because its stuck in the boot.img since magisk installed it there and it cant seem to remove itself from it.

Deano1889

Jul 20, 2008
Sheffield
I found that you can move apps to SD card on the updated stock rom by turning on a setting in developer options called force allow apps on SD or something along those lines. It does not let you moves system or stock apps but you can move the apps you install from the playstore. The my files storage explorer won't show the change in storage. To see your actual storage visit your installed apps on the play store. This will show your true free space. To move apps after turning the setting on... go to settings...apps.... select an app you want to move... choose storage. If it can be moved to SD you will have a button that says change. When you click that it gives option internal or sd... choose SD m and it will pop up a button that says move... click move and wait till it has moved.... rinse repeat with other apps will give you more room.

Note. If you move widgets to SD they will no longer load until you put them back to internal.
What version ROM? 'm on T500XXU3AUC6 and I can force allow apps option from within Dev option but it still won't allow me to move any apps across via Storage or Apps menu.

testman42

Jul 13, 2021
I messed something up. Odin failed to flash vbmeta_disabled_R, and after some time of trying various things, I decided to re-lock bootloader from Download mode, in hopes that unlocking it again would maybe make flashing work. But now there is no OEM Unlock option in developer options, fastboot can't unlock it either.
Am I in "unlock jail"? Or did I permanently mess up my tablet?

I must say that I am quite disappointed with quality of instruction in OP / this thread.
Would it be possible to get a more detailed guide, with steps explained more accurately?
I would gladly contribute to the creation of such guide.
Would it make sense to make a GitLab/GitHub repository at this point?
So that we can have a guide in nice README.md, that people can contribute to as they wish? And also so that we have a nice issue tracker?
This thread is not exactly the best example of organised information.

edit: somehow managed to trick the developer options to display the OEM Unlocking toggle again. followed some guide that instructed me to disable automatic time & timezone, disable auto system update in developer options, disable auto update download in Software Update and to tap on Manual Download in software update. Did not seem to work at first, but it did work for some reason after I connected to WiFi.
It still did not unlock the bootloader after restart, but the option to unlock did appear in download mode.
So now bootloader is unlocked again and I am back to getting Odin to successfuly flash vbmeta_disabled_R.

edit 2: bloody hell
I got it to work, LineageOS is installed. But there were so many pit-falls and obstacles on the way that at some point I considered giving up.
But at least I learned a lot about how Samsung is brutally locking down their tech.
I am not sure if any of these issues were reported already, but here are the ones that I see on my tablet now:
- WiFi not working
- Gyroscope not working (screen not rotating when auto-rotate is enabled)
- when connected through USB cable, the MTP file transfer does not work (File browser does detect the device, but fails to display the content)
As I said, I am willing to contribute my newly gained knowledge towards something that will make installation easier.
Feel free to tell me how I could do that.

Last edited:

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I messed something up. Odin failed to flash vbmeta_disabled_R, and after some time of trying various things, I decided to re-lock bootloader from Download mode, in hopes that unlocking it again would maybe make flashing work. But now there is no OEM Unlock option in developer options, fastboot can't unlock it either.
Am I in "unlock jail"? Or did I permanently mess up my tablet?

I must say that I am quite disappointed with quality of instruction in OP / this thread.
Would it be possible to get a more detailed guide, with steps explained more accurately?
I would gladly contribute to the creation of such guide.
Would it make sense to make a GitLab/GitHub repository at this point?
So that we can have a guide in nice README.md, that people can contribute to as they wish? And also so that we have a nice issue tracker?
This thread is not exactly the best example of organised information.

edit: somehow managed to trick the developer options to display the OEM Unlocking toggle again. followed some guide that instructed me to disable automatic time & timezone, disable auto system update in developer options, disable auto update download in Software Update and to tap on Manual Download in software update. Did not seem to work at first, but it did work for some reason after I connected to WiFi.
It still did not unlock the bootloader after restart, but the option to unlock did appear in download mode.
So now bootloader is unlocked again and I am back to getting Odin to successfuly flash vbmeta_disabled_R.

edit 2: bloody hell
I got it to work, LineageOS is installed. But there were so many pit-falls and obstacles on the way that at some point I considered giving up.
But at least I learned a lot about how Samsung is brutally locking down their tech.
I am not sure if any of these issues were reported already, but here are the ones that I see on my tablet now:
- WiFi not working
- Gyroscope not working (screen not rotating when auto-rotate is enabled)
- when connected through USB cable, the MTP file transfer does not work (File browser does detect the device, but fails to display the content)
As I said, I am willing to contribute my newly gained knowledge towards something that will make installation easier.
Feel free to tell me how I could do that.
If there is no OEM option in Dev it is because you don't have a Google Account registered so there is no need to enable OEM. Remember, unlocking the bootloader and enabling OEM are two entirely different things. One has NOTHING to do with the other. The bootloader has to be unlocked to flash anything other than a stock ROM. OEM needs to be enabled to prevent the FRP lock from engaging when performing a factory reset. But ONLY if there is a Google Account present on the device.

Also, Samsung tablet don't use fastboot. That is what Odin is for.

agreenbhm

Jun 14, 2010
USA
Samsung Galaxy S21
Im
If there is no OEM option in Dev it is because you don't have a Google Account registered so there is no need to enable OEM. Remember, unlocking the bootloader and enabling OEM are two entirely different things. One has NOTHING to do with the other. The bootloader has to be unlocked to flash anything other than a stock ROM. OEM needs to be enabled to prevent the FRP lock from engaging when performing a factory reset. But ONLY if there is a Google Account present on the device.

Also, Samsung tablet don't use fastboot. That is what Odin is for.
I not sure what you're talking about but OEM unlocking is directly tied to bootloader unlocking (just 2 different names for it). FRP and Google accounts have nothing to do with any of this. Please think twice before spreading misinformation.

IIRC I had to connect to wifi before the OEM Unlocking setting appeared in developer settings. Probably so Samsung can make sure the device isn't blacklisted somehow or supposed to be linked to Knox Mobile Enrollment.

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Im
I not sure what you're talking about but OEM unlocking is directly tied to bootloader unlocking (just 2 different names for it). FRP and Google accounts have nothing to do with any of this. Please think twice before spreading misinformation.

IIRC I had to connect to wifi before the OEM Unlocking setting appeared in developer settings. Probably so Samsung can make sure the device isn't blacklisted somehow or supposed to be linked to Knox Mobile Enrollment.
OEM has been around for years with the FRP lock. It is only in the last couple of years that Samsung has started locking the bootloader on tablets that weren't tied to a carrier. If you remove all of the Google Accounts prior to a factory reset and don't add when you reboot, OEM will be either grey out but enable, or not appear at all. What IS necessary is to have Dev mode enabled. I have been doing this since Android 2 with at least a dozen tablets, so don't try teaching grandpa to suck eggs.

edit: Also there are custom ROMs which don't have an OEM option. You can factory reset them without the FRP lock engaging.

Last edited:

agreenbhm

Jun 14, 2010
USA
Samsung Galaxy S21
OEM has been around for years with the FRP lock. It is only in the last couple of years that Samsung has started locking the bootloader on tablets that weren't tied to a carrier. If you remove all of the Google Accounts prior to a factory reset and don't add when you reboot, OEM will be either grey out but enable, or not appear at all. What IS necessary is to have Dev mode enabled. I have been doing this since Android 2 with at least a dozen tablets, so don't try teaching grandpa to suck eggs.

edit: Also there are custom ROMs which don't have an OEM option. You can factory reset them without the FRP lock engaging.

You seem to be mixing terms. OEM is not an option (it's OEM Unlocking, so if that's what you're talking about then clarify). FRP is tied to Google or Samsung accounts and prevents you from wiping a stolen device and loading your own account on there (you need to know the credentials of the previous account). Similar to device activation lock on iOS. FRP is not connected to OEM Unlocking/bootloader unlocking. They are two completely separate things.

And since you seem to want to have a pissing contest: I've been developing hacking tools for Android since the OG Droid and hack phones as part of my job. So I know what I'm talking about. And this ROM and TWRP are my work so as far as this tablet is concerned, I know what's up.

DzbanCban

Sep 18, 2021
Going to wait for a stable version, it freezes out for me after about 5 minutes and the only thing I can do is restart the tablet. 🤔

Edit: It appears Magisk was the one who's causing the freezes, it detects some other 'su' and tells me to uninstall it, I have no idea what, where or how to get rid of the other 'su' though. Without Magisk it's running like a dream. 😁

Last edited:

BakaPhoenix

Jul 16, 2010
Roma
Can someone post some benchmark result using los?
I'm finding the tablet with stock os underperforming, for example i did a slingshot extreme on opengl 3.1 and it only did 1190 pts while looking around the internet i saw that a snapdragon 662 usually do 2300 pts.

If someone could post some bench i can find out if the problem is the tablet itself or samsung rom.
So i can decide to install this rom or not :D

Edit: nevermind i read wrong results

Last edited:

lakodathecat

Feb 7, 2011
Been following thread, seems to be some inconveniences in disk partitions to small. Would disk size issue go away if bought the larger 64GB size? Also seems part of install appears to be creation or resizing partitions, would the extra disk space (64gb) get added to main partition or would have to manually resize partitons assuming all of this thread is done for the 32GB size?
Thanks

BakaPhoenix

Jul 16, 2010
Roma
Been following thread, seems to be some inconveniences in disk partitions to small. Would disk size issue go away if bought the larger 64GB size? Also seems part of install appears to be creation or resizing partitions, would the extra disk space (64gb) get added to main partition or would have to manually resize partitons assuming all of this thread is done for the 32GB size?
Thanks
Once you root the tablet you can use app2sds to move the biggest app on the sd, i don't recomend using adoptable storage because is buggy and add more problems than the ones ytou want to fix it. I also recomend to get a high quality sd since cheap one won't make the apps runs fine

Jim in CA

Sep 21, 2021
I am new to this forum, having just registered today so I can contribute to this thread. I have installed Lineage OS on a handful of Samsung tablets, and HTC and OnePlus phones. I wanted to share my experiences in trying to load Lineage on my brand new SM-T500 this week.

First, my tablet had already updated to the 3BUH3 version. When I did the install, I could not get the wifi to work. I finally decided to download and flash the earlier version stock OS using Odin. That did get my tablet up and running again. I repeated the TWRP and Lineage install and got the wifi to work starting with this version.

After trials and tribulations, I got the ROM to properly load, and have a usable version of Lineage on my tablet. I did have the problems discussed on this threat with TWRP not reading encryption, missing Play Store, Device not certified, etc. But once I got the Nik Gapps installed properly using the correctly modified and placed nikgapps.config file, things went well. I will note I decided to use Basic instead of Omni. No issue with Omni, but I simply didn't need some of those features to satisfy my needs. IF you follow the directions, it will work! Brightness slider works. I haven't used Magisk yet, so haven't tested that fix. But no reboots in two hours since I did the fix.

I do have a few issues however. They are:
  1. Unable to do TWRP backups. (Addressed on this thread.)
  2. Cannot connect to my PC via USB, in order to do file transfers via USB. But it does connect to the PC to allow ADB commands to function.
  3. With the tablet turned off and connected to the charger, I get the screen to show the charge level, but the charge level never appears. And the charge screen does not go off like on other Lineage ROM's I use. I will note that it does charge.
  4. Once I disconnect the charge cable, the charge screen with the circle where the charge screen should be does not go off. I have to hold the charge button for about 10 seconds to turn off the screen.
I have just started using the modified tablet. There may be other issues I have not found yet. Play Store works fine and stopped giving the certified warning once registered, and a reboot after 5 minutes. (The Device ID app from Play Store will give you the number you need for registration (I had to sideload it), after you convert the HEX number to decimal with an online converter.)

Overall I would say this build is not as polished as other Lineage ROM's I have used, but if you really want to get rid of Google and Samsung bloatware, this ROM is worth it, quirks and all. My thanks to the OP for all of his work.

Reactions: testman42

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am new to this forum, having just registered today so I can contribute to this thread. I have installed Lineage OS on a handful of Samsung tablets, and HTC and OnePlus phones. I wanted to share my experiences in trying to load Lineage on my brand new SM-T500 this week.

First, my tablet had already updated to the 3BUH3 version. When I did the install, I could not get the wifi to work. I finally decided to download and flash the earlier version stock OS using Odin. That did get my tablet up and running again. I repeated the TWRP and Lineage install and got the wifi to work starting with this version.

After trials and tribulations, I got the ROM to properly load, and have a usable version of Lineage on my tablet. I did have the problems discussed on this threat with TWRP not reading encryption, missing Play Store, Device not certified, etc. But once I got the Nik Gapps installed properly using the correctly modified and placed nikgapps.config file, things went well. I will note I decided to use Basic instead of Omni. No issue with Omni, but I simply didn't need some of those features to satisfy my needs. IF you follow the directions, it will work! Brightness slider works. I haven't used Magisk yet, so haven't tested that fix. But no reboots in two hours since I did the fix.

I do have a few issues however. They are:
    1. Unable to do TWRP backups. (Addressed on this thread.)
    2. Cannot connect to my PC via USB, in order to do file transfers via USB. But it does connect to the PC to allow ADB commands to function.
    3. With the tablet turned off and connected to the charger, I get the screen to show the charge level, but the charge level never appears. And the charge screen does not go off like on other Lineage ROM's I use. I will note that it does charge.
    4. Once I disconnect the charge cable, the charge screen with the circle where the charge screen should be does not go off. I have to hold the charge button for about 10 seconds to turn off the screen.
    I have just started using the modified tablet. There may be other issues I have not found yet. Play Store works fine and stopped giving the certified warning once registered, and a reboot after 5 minutes. (The Device ID app from Play Store will give you the number you need for registration (I had to sideload it), after you convert the HEX number to decimal with an online converter.)

Overall I would say this build is not as polished as other Lineage ROM's I have used, but if you really want to get rid of Google and Samsung bloatware, this ROM is worth it, quirks and all. My thanks to the OP for all of his work.
    What version ROM? 'm on T500XXU3AUC6 and I can force allow apps option from within Dev option but it still won't allow me to move any apps across via Storage or Apps menu.
    t500xxu3buh3 is the current build i am on
    Great rom, altough, i got a few questions:

I installed the rom but the orientation doesnt work, it stays at portrait mode.

Also has somebody tested if GSI Roms are working on the device? i didnt manage to install one.
    You have to go to /Settings/Display and enable rotation.
    Update 9:46am EST July 15 2021: new builds of TWRP and LineageOS with TWRP touch fixed and LOS w/ space for Gapps is now live.

WARNING: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have successfully ported TWRP and Lineage OS 18.1 to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020), aka SM-T500. This is my first time porting TWRP or LOS, so there may be issues unknown about at this time. Thus far, the only known issue is that the touchscreen in TWRP does not work. This can be worked around by using a USB mouse and/or accessing the device via ADB.

Here are the steps to follow:
    1. Update your device to the latest stock ROM (as of this writing) either using the built-in system updater or via Odin. You want the build that ends with "3BUF3".
    2. Unlock device bootloader using instructions from other threads. This will wipe your device.
    3. Boot into download mode and flash "vbmeta_disabled_R.tar" via Odin in the "Userdata" slot to disable verified boot. This will wipe your device again.
    4. Boot device back into download mode and flash TWRP via Odin in the "AP" slot. If you boot up into the stock ROM rather than booting directly back into download mode then go through the initial setup process of the stock ROM and enable developer tools and ensure OEM Unlocking is still enabled (VaultKeeper can possibly undo OEM Unlocking if you get to the ROM but don't go into Developer Tools and view OEM Unlocking is enabled, so make sure to do this).
    5. Boot device into TWRP (recovery mode) and format (not wipe) your data partition. Then reboot back into TWRP.
    6. Push LineageOS (super.new.ext4.img) to device. Ideally push it to an SD card formatted with ExFat or EXT2/3/4 (FAT/FAT16/FAT32/VFAT won't work due to file-size limitations).
    7. Install LineageOS image to "Super" partition. Make sure to select "Install from Image" in order to show .img files in the install selector screen.
    8. (Optional) Push NikGapps Omni to your device and install the zip. Make sure you include a "nikgapps.config" file in your "/tmp" folder that is configured to install to "system" rather than "product" or "default".
    9. Reboot to system. You should now be in LOS with Gapps.
    10. (Optional, but recommended): Install Magisk via TWRP
    11. (Optional, but recommended): Run fix script to fix brightness slider not working and to make Magisk work. If you didn't install Magisk but only want the brightness fix, just enter "n" when prompted in the script. To run the script:
      1. NOTE: Script has .txt file extension to allow hosting on AFH. Remove that so it's just .sh to match the instructions below.
      2. Download and push to device when booted into TWRP
        1. adb push sm-t500_fixes.sh /tmp
      3. Enter an adb shell
        1. adb shell
      4. Change directories and set permissions
        1. cd /tmp
        2. chmod +x /tmp/sm-t500_fixes.sh
      5. Run script
        1. /tmp/sm-t500_fixes.sh

Tips:
    • If you are not seeing all of your storage space in the OS on the internal flash, boot to TWRP and format data.
    • Flash TWRP via "AP" slot and flash VBMeta_Disabler via "Userdata" slot in Odin.
    • Flash LineageOS as an Image, not as a Zip.
    • For Gapps, use the latest NikGapps for ARM64 and Android 11/R.
    • For Gapps, make sure you install to the System partition and not Product. To do this you need to slightly modify a nikgapps.config file. Instructions on that can be found on the NikGapps site.

Downloads:
    Known Issues:
    • OS-encrypted storage (Internal Data) not able to be decrypted in TWRP.
    • Brightness controls don't work: Fixed via "sm-t500_fixes.sh script.
    • TWRP touch screen doesn't work (use USB keyboard or adb). Should be fixed with TWRP Beta 3.
    • TWRP formatting external SD card may hardbrick device. Do not do this! Fixed with TWRP Beta 2.

Source (device tree for TWRP from my Github): https://github.com/agreenbhm/android_device_samsung_gta4lwifi
    Source (kernel sources from Samsung): https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=Sm-t500#
    Good news, my tablet should be back on Tuesday and I will be looking at continuing my dev work then.
    I have successfully ported TWRP and Lineage OS 18.1 to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020), aka SM-T500. This is my first time porting TWRP or LOS, so there may be issues unknown about at this time. Thus far, the only known issue is that the touchscreen in TWRP does not work. This can be worked around by using a USB mouse and/or accessing the device via ADB.

Here are the rough steps to follow:
    1. Unlock device bootloader using instructions from other threads.
    2. Patch stock ROM (AP) using Magisk, then flash rooted ROM. Will likely need to wipe device after this.
    3. Boot into rooted ROM and ensure "OEM Unlocking" is still enabled in "Developer Tools".
    4. Boot back into download mode and flash "vbmeta_disabled_R.tar" to disable verified boot.
    5. Boot device back into rooted stock ROM to ensure things are still functional (may require a device wipe at this step).
    6. Boot device into download mode and use ODIN to flash TWRP recovery.tar file via "AP" slot.
    7. Boot device into TWRP to verify functionality (hold Vol-Up + Power during boot).
    8. Access TWRP via adb using "adb shell" or with USB mouse (touch functionality currently not working).
    9. Format data partition on device.
      • Via ADB shell: twrp format data
      • Via USB mouse: Wipe -> Advanced -> Format Data
    10. Boot device into download mode.
      • Via ADB shell: twrp reboot download
      • Via USB mouse: Reboot -> Download
    11. Flash LineageOS tar file via ODIN using the "AP" slot.
    12. If device boots into TWRP after flashing LineageOS, use USB mouse to select: Reboot -> System
    13. Device should boot and stall for ~1m at the Samsung logo screen with red text below, then should go blank and then display LineageOS boot image.

Downloads:
    Great news!! But I think you need to post it in the ROMs, Kernels, Recover thread.
    Any new release of twrp
    I made a new build yesterday however I can't test it yet since my device is not back to me yet. If you want a copy to try dm me and I will share it. But be warned, I don't even know if it boots (though you could always reflash the old one if that's the case). The goal of the new build was to fix the SD card bug and make the touchscreen work.
    Just tested your Beta2 of twrp (something that I usually don't do) and touch is working. MTP is not working; as I have a "working" (no decryption) twrp from quite some time if you share your source I may can help you (if you're interested).
    I have no intention on sharing builds or getting too much involved here on xda.. I own this device from a week before lockdown ended, I've managed to make a "working"ish twrp-3.5.1 and lineage-17.1 recovery (with fastbootd). Then I've started again to work so I've dropped the project to port LineageOS.. but if you're willing to share your source I may can help iron some bugs when I have time.
    Didn't test your Lineage build (maybe I will), I still have to update to official 11 firmware.
    Thanks for the reply. The sources can be found on the Github repo I made, which is here: https://github.com/agreenbhm/android_device_samsung_gta4lwifi.

My Lineage build consists of the 18.1 Lineage GSI as the system partition along with stock vendor, odm, and product partitions within the super image.