[ROM][SM-T500] Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020) - LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

agreenbhm

Jun 14, 2010
USA
Samsung Galaxy S21
Update: March 24 2022: This ROM has been retired and a new one based on LOS 19.1 (and TWRP based on Android 11) have taken its place. New thread here: https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-sm-t500...4-2020-lineageos-19-1-and-twrp-3-6-1.4421365/
---
Update 9:46am EST July 15 2021: new builds of TWRP and LineageOS with TWRP touch fixed and LOS w/ space for Gapps is now live.

WARNING: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have successfully ported TWRP and Lineage OS 18.1 to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020), aka SM-T500. This is my first time porting TWRP or LOS, so there may be issues unknown about at this time. Thus far, the only known issue is that the touchscreen in TWRP does not work. This can be worked around by using a USB mouse and/or accessing the device via ADB.

Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Update your device to the latest stock ROM (as of this writing) either using the built-in system updater or via Odin. You want the build that ends with "3BUF3".
  2. Unlock device bootloader using instructions from other threads. This will wipe your device.
  3. Boot into download mode and flash "vbmeta_disabled_R.tar" via Odin in the "Userdata" slot to disable verified boot. This will wipe your device again.
  4. Boot device back into download mode and flash TWRP via Odin in the "AP" slot. If you boot up into the stock ROM rather than booting directly back into download mode then go through the initial setup process of the stock ROM and enable developer tools and ensure OEM Unlocking is still enabled (VaultKeeper can possibly undo OEM Unlocking if you get to the ROM but don't go into Developer Tools and view OEM Unlocking is enabled, so make sure to do this).
  5. Boot device into TWRP (recovery mode) and format (not wipe) your data partition. Then reboot back into TWRP.
  6. Push LineageOS (super.new.ext4.img) to device. Ideally push it to an SD card formatted with ExFat or EXT2/3/4 (FAT/FAT16/FAT32/VFAT won't work due to file-size limitations).
  7. Install LineageOS image to "Super" partition. Make sure to select "Install from Image" in order to show .img files in the install selector screen.
  8. (Optional) Push NikGapps Omni to your device and install the zip. Make sure you include a "nikgapps.config" file in your "/tmp" folder that is configured to install to "system" rather than "product" or "default".
  9. Reboot to system. You should now be in LOS with Gapps.
  10. (Optional, but recommended): Install Magisk via TWRP
  11. (Optional, but recommended): Run fix script to fix brightness slider not working and to make Magisk work. If you didn't install Magisk but only want the brightness fix, just enter "n" when prompted in the script. To run the script:
    1. NOTE: Script has .txt file extension to allow hosting on AFH. Remove that so it's just .sh to match the instructions below.
    2. Download and push to device when booted into TWRP
      1. adb push sm-t500_fixes.sh /tmp
    3. Enter an adb shell
      1. adb shell
    4. Change directories and set permissions
      1. cd /tmp
      2. chmod +x /tmp/sm-t500_fixes.sh
    5. Run script
      1. /tmp/sm-t500_fixes.sh

Tips:
  • If you are not seeing all of your storage space in the OS on the internal flash, boot to TWRP and format data.
  • Flash TWRP via "AP" slot and flash VBMeta_Disabler via "Userdata" slot in Odin.
  • Flash LineageOS as an Image, not as a Zip.
  • For Gapps, use the latest NikGapps for ARM64 and Android 11/R.
  • For Gapps, make sure you install to the System partition and not Product. To do this you need to slightly modify a nikgapps.config file. Instructions on that can be found on the NikGapps site.

Downloads:
Known Issues:
  • OS-encrypted storage (Internal Data) not able to be decrypted in TWRP.
  • Brightness controls don't work: Fixed via "sm-t500_fixes.sh script.
  • TWRP touch screen doesn't work (use USB keyboard or adb). Should be fixed with TWRP Beta 3.
  • TWRP formatting external SD card may hardbrick device. Do not do this! Fixed with TWRP Beta 2.

Source (device tree for TWRP from my Github): https://github.com/agreenbhm/android_device_samsung_gta4lwifi
Source (kernel sources from Samsung): https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=Sm-t500#

Last edited:

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I have successfully ported TWRP and Lineage OS 18.1 to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 (2020), aka SM-T500. This is my first time porting TWRP or LOS, so there may be issues unknown about at this time. Thus far, the only known issue is that the touchscreen in TWRP does not work. This can be worked around by using a USB mouse and/or accessing the device via ADB.

Here are the rough steps to follow:
  1. Unlock device bootloader using instructions from other threads.
  2. Patch stock ROM (AP) using Magisk, then flash rooted ROM. Will likely need to wipe device after this.
  3. Boot into rooted ROM and ensure "OEM Unlocking" is still enabled in "Developer Tools".
  4. Boot back into download mode and flash "vbmeta_disabled_R.tar" to disable verified boot.
  5. Boot device back into rooted stock ROM to ensure things are still functional (may require a device wipe at this step).
  6. Boot device into download mode and use ODIN to flash TWRP recovery.tar file via "AP" slot.
  7. Boot device into TWRP to verify functionality (hold Vol-Up + Power during boot).
  8. Access TWRP via adb using "adb shell" or with USB mouse (touch functionality currently not working).
  9. Format data partition on device.
    • Via ADB shell: twrp format data
    • Via USB mouse: Wipe -> Advanced -> Format Data
  10. Boot device into download mode.
    • Via ADB shell: twrp reboot download
    • Via USB mouse: Reboot -> Download
  11. Flash LineageOS tar file via ODIN using the "AP" slot.
  12. If device boots into TWRP after flashing LineageOS, use USB mouse to select: Reboot -> System
  13. Device should boot and stall for ~1m at the Samsung logo screen with red text below, then should go blank and then display LineageOS boot image.

Downloads:
Great news!! But I think you need to post it in the ROMs, Kernels, Recover thread.

wizzdome

Jan 10, 2012
Denver
Thanks,

After flashing the vbmeta it booted into recovery automatically after what looked like a bootloop in progress, so I wiped with factory reset and then it rebooted fine. (still not sure exactly what the vbmeta does I was hoping it would make it so i didnt get that stupid pop up asking me to hit power button to continue booting due to it having the patched os) anyhow booted fine and twrp installed as you stated without touch screen but mouse with otg works fine. (great job so far) On to LOS... I think I should have checked oem lock before flashing LOS as when I installed I get stuck at boot screen that says oem lock is on... must have been from my factory reset... (facepalm)
Nope... Still sticking on boot with the following showing on the screen...

RPMB fuse not set
RPMB Provisioned
Current BInary: Custom (0x30f)
FRP Lock : OFF
OEM Lock : ON (U) {this was off verified before flash}
KG Status : Checking
Waranty Void : 0x1 (0xE02)
Quallcomm Secureboot : Enable
RP SWREV : B3 (1,1,1,3,1,1) k3 s3
secure download : enable
grdm status : normal (d0000501)
did : 041ce2d22dba

this is displayed in the corner on the bootscreen and looks like it belongs on the download screen, anyhow booting into twrp from this point works however factory reset fails with unable to mount key(something and key(something else) i figure i will let it sit a while as I know sometimes it just takes first boot a while to go through however it doesnt seem to be the problem. Have you had a positive install of the LOS? I am wondering if I had maybe gotten a bad copy of the file. When i go to install I get a pass in odin so not quite sure where to go from here other than back to the factory image any help to get this going would be great... I took on this task cause i needed someting to take my mind off the severely crappy week I have had... so looking forward to anything you can share here...

Last edited:

agreenbhm

Jun 14, 2010
USA
Samsung Galaxy S21
Something to mention: there is not enough space on the /system partition to flash Gapps. I created a build that supports it (with a resized /system partition) but I couldn't get it to flash via Odin. The only way I got it to work was by flashing it via TWRP as an img file. I will be posting that soon. Unfortunately that will be the end of development for now as I hard-bricked the device and need to wait for a repair or replacement. Should be back developing in 2 weeks.

jayzarry84

Dec 28, 2020
Rom is fast and snappy. Brightness control does not work. I haven’t played too much because of work but that’s what I’ve found so far

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Something to mention: there is not enough space on the /system partition to flash Gapps. I created a build that supports it (with a resized /system partition) but I couldn't get it to flash via Odin. The only way I got it to work was by flashing it via TWRP as an img file. I will be posting that soon. Unfortunately that will be the end of development for now as I hard-bricked the device and need to wait for a repair or replacement. Should be back developing in 2 weeks.
I've not been able to flash this yet but I know that the latest TWRP versions have a way to fix the system partition to accept gapps. /Wipe/Advanced check system then resize. Sometimes you have to do it more than once if it is a large gapps.

agreenbhm

Jun 14, 2010
USA
Samsung Galaxy S21
I've not been able to flash this yet but I know that the latest TWRP versions have a way to fix the system partition to accept gapps. /Wipe/Advanced check system then resize. Sometimes you have to do it more than once if it is a large gapps.
I will look into that, but I'm not optimistic it will work. This device does not separately present the system partition, rather it uses a super partition which contains system, vendor, product, and odm. TWRP only shows me the super partition for working with. I was able to resize the system partition by expanding the Lineage image and file system on my pc to match the original stock system partition, then rebuilt the super image with the other partitions it needs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: March 24 2022: This ROM has been retired and a new one based on LOS 19.1 (and TWRP based on Android 11) have taken its place. New thread here: https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-sm-t500...4-2020-lineageos-19-1-and-twrp-3-6-1.4421365/
    ---
    Update 9:46am EST July 15 2021: new builds of TWRP and LineageOS with TWRP touch fixed and LOS w/ space for Gapps is now live.

WARNING: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Here are the steps to follow:
    1. Update your device to the latest stock ROM (as of this writing) either using the built-in system updater or via Odin. You want the build that ends with "3BUF3".
    2. Unlock device bootloader using instructions from other threads. This will wipe your device.
    3. Boot into download mode and flash "vbmeta_disabled_R.tar" via Odin in the "Userdata" slot to disable verified boot. This will wipe your device again.
    4. Boot device back into download mode and flash TWRP via Odin in the "AP" slot. If you boot up into the stock ROM rather than booting directly back into download mode then go through the initial setup process of the stock ROM and enable developer tools and ensure OEM Unlocking is still enabled (VaultKeeper can possibly undo OEM Unlocking if you get to the ROM but don't go into Developer Tools and view OEM Unlocking is enabled, so make sure to do this).
    5. Boot device into TWRP (recovery mode) and format (not wipe) your data partition. Then reboot back into TWRP.
    6. Push LineageOS (super.new.ext4.img) to device. Ideally push it to an SD card formatted with ExFat or EXT2/3/4 (FAT/FAT16/FAT32/VFAT won't work due to file-size limitations).
    7. Install LineageOS image to "Super" partition. Make sure to select "Install from Image" in order to show .img files in the install selector screen.
    8. (Optional) Push NikGapps Omni to your device and install the zip. Make sure you include a "nikgapps.config" file in your "/tmp" folder that is configured to install to "system" rather than "product" or "default".
    9. Reboot to system. You should now be in LOS with Gapps.
    10. (Optional, but recommended): Install Magisk via TWRP
    11. (Optional, but recommended): Run fix script to fix brightness slider not working and to make Magisk work. If you didn't install Magisk but only want the brightness fix, just enter "n" when prompted in the script. To run the script:
      1. NOTE: Script has .txt file extension to allow hosting on AFH. Remove that so it's just .sh to match the instructions below.
      2. Download and push to device when booted into TWRP
        1. adb push sm-t500_fixes.sh /tmp
      3. Enter an adb shell
        1. adb shell
      4. Change directories and set permissions
        1. cd /tmp
        2. chmod +x /tmp/sm-t500_fixes.sh
      5. Run script
        1. /tmp/sm-t500_fixes.sh

Tips:
    • If you are not seeing all of your storage space in the OS on the internal flash, boot to TWRP and format data.
    • Flash TWRP via "AP" slot and flash VBMeta_Disabler via "Userdata" slot in Odin.
    • Flash LineageOS as an Image, not as a Zip.
    • For Gapps, use the latest NikGapps for ARM64 and Android 11/R.
    • For Gapps, make sure you install to the System partition and not Product. To do this you need to slightly modify a nikgapps.config file. Instructions on that can be found on the NikGapps site.

Downloads:
    Known Issues:
    • OS-encrypted storage (Internal Data) not able to be decrypted in TWRP.
    • Brightness controls don't work: Fixed via "sm-t500_fixes.sh script.
    • TWRP touch screen doesn't work (use USB keyboard or adb). Should be fixed with TWRP Beta 3.
    • TWRP formatting external SD card may hardbrick device. Do not do this! Fixed with TWRP Beta 2.

Source (device tree for TWRP from my Github): https://github.com/agreenbhm/android_device_samsung_gta4lwifi
    Source (kernel sources from Samsung): https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=Sm-t500#
    Good news, my tablet should be back on Tuesday and I will be looking at continuing my dev work then.

Here are the rough steps to follow:
    1. Unlock device bootloader using instructions from other threads.
    2. Patch stock ROM (AP) using Magisk, then flash rooted ROM. Will likely need to wipe device after this.
    3. Boot into rooted ROM and ensure "OEM Unlocking" is still enabled in "Developer Tools".
    4. Boot back into download mode and flash "vbmeta_disabled_R.tar" to disable verified boot.
    5. Boot device back into rooted stock ROM to ensure things are still functional (may require a device wipe at this step).
    6. Boot device into download mode and use ODIN to flash TWRP recovery.tar file via "AP" slot.
    7. Boot device into TWRP to verify functionality (hold Vol-Up + Power during boot).
    8. Access TWRP via adb using "adb shell" or with USB mouse (touch functionality currently not working).
    9. Format data partition on device.
      • Via ADB shell: twrp format data
      • Via USB mouse: Wipe -> Advanced -> Format Data
    10. Boot device into download mode.
      • Via ADB shell: twrp reboot download
      • Via USB mouse: Reboot -> Download
    11. Flash LineageOS tar file via ODIN using the "AP" slot.
    12. If device boots into TWRP after flashing LineageOS, use USB mouse to select: Reboot -> System
    13. Device should boot and stall for ~1m at the Samsung logo screen with red text below, then should go blank and then display LineageOS boot image.

Downloads:
    Great news!! But I think you need to post it in the ROMs, Kernels, Recover thread.
    Hello all, I have released a version of LineageOS 19.1 for the SM-T500. You can find it here: https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-sm-t500...4-2020-lineageos-19-1-and-twrp-3-6-1.4421365/

And a quick note since I see the discussion here: the ROM from this thread and the new one are both from GSIs. All you need to do to update is technically flash your system partition with a GSI of your choosing. Easier said than done, but the easiest approach I've found for this device is to build a new super partition with lpmake consisting of odm, product, vendor, and system (with system being the GSI).
    Any new release of twrp
    I made a new build yesterday however I can't test it yet since my device is not back to me yet. If you want a copy to try dm me and I will share it. But be warned, I don't even know if it boots (though you could always reflash the old one if that's the case). The goal of the new build was to fix the SD card bug and make the touchscreen work.