[ROM][SM-T510][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 16.0 for Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019)

Search This thread

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Any plans to create a ROM for the SM-T515?
No, since I don't have the device to test it. I released Nexus Stock builds for the T515 relying on beta testers to vet the builds, and it was a mistake. It's just incredibly awkward to troubleshoot that way.

The only thing I'm building for the T515 now is TWRP, and that probably won't last much longer.

And now there's also the SM-T517...

coolgoose1

Feb 15, 2018
The instructions do not say that multi_disabler should be installed. Hence I am assuming multi_disabler is built into the /vendor and /system image this tar provides. A post on multi_disabler original thread says that it is not needed if installing Magisk. And documentation on Magisk's site says that for system-as-root, the device could be running in system mode without Magisk. Should I be concerned about VaultKeeper coming back when not running system with Magisk enabled (but installed in recovery partition)

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
The instructions do not say that multi_disabler should be installed. Hence I am assuming multi_disabler is built into the /vendor and /system image this tar provides. A post on multi_disabler original thread says that it is not needed if installing Magisk. And documentation on Magisk's site says that for system-as-root, the device could be running in system mode without Magisk. Should I be concerned about VaultKeeper coming back when not running system with Magisk enabled (but installed in recovery partition)
Yes, Multidisabler is only required if you're running an OEM release. It's already been run on this LineageOS build to make the necessary modifications to the vendor partition, and features like VaultKeeper are specific to Samsung's system partition...which is completely replaced by LineageOS.

Reactions: coolgoose1
May 24, 2015
Its possible to compile a twrp file to sm-t515 with your last version md5 released on september 19.?

Im lineage absoluty fan and i cant install using odin.

Im prefer LOS Rom without update with troubles before samsung OS ROM.

No, since I don't have the device to test it. I released Nexus Stock builds for the T515 relying on beta testers to vet the builds, and it was a mistake. It's just incredibly awkward to troubleshoot that way.

The only thing I'm building for the T515 now is TWRP, and that probably won't last much longer.

And now there's also the SM-T517...

Andy1767

Sep 8, 2014
Alps
My SM-T585 died recently and I had to buy a new Tab.
I was considering to buy a SM-T585 once again since the Lineage ROM was working well and I could keep my case also.
A new SM-T585 currently sells more expensive than a SM-T510/515 where I live. The SM-T510 has newer hardware and I found this Lineage build also.
So I went for a SM-T510. Installed this Lineage ROM and it works.

What I found out afterwards is that this ROM neither supports the f2fs file system nor exFAT. While the first is not that tragic, the latter one is quite bad for me. I wanted to use the 512GByte SDcard I’ve been using in the SM-T585 exFAT formatted without any problem, but it does not work. It’s possible to format it with VFAT/FAT32 but that file system is quite crippled since it does not support files bigger than 4 GByte. exFAT OTG USB sticks also do not work. I use these to exchange files with other devices.

It’s 2020 and even my old Galaxy Tab 2 from 2012 running Lineage 7.1 supports f2fs and exFat…
I did not even realize that nowadays there are ROMs that do not support these file systems.
So is there any chance for this ROM getting at least exFAT support so that SDcards can be decently used? Or someone knows a way to add exFAT support with an additional app/software?

Anyway: Thanks a lot to the developer for providing this ROM and all the hard work! With the exception of file system support, the ROM seems to be solid and working well.

One more thing I'm curious about is the message "! your bootloader is unlocked - blabla..." Is this normal now? My older Samsung devices do not have this. And there is probably no way to get rid of this, is there?

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
My SM-T585 died recently and I had to buy a new Tab.

One more thing I'm curious about is the message "! your bootloader is unlocked - blabla..." Is this normal now? My older Samsung devices do not have this. And there is probably no way to get rid of this, is there?
My SD card is only 32gb, so the format support isn't a problem. But I can say that new Samsung tablets all have a locked boot loader and that unlocking it will produce that message. But you can skip right by it by pressing the power button as soon as it appears. On my T720 I also get another nag screen saying my custom ROM may be dangerous. And you have to wait for that one.

simon002

Sep 28, 2010
Thank you so much for this. My Galaxy Tab A had lousy battery life. This ROM not only extended it to what can be expected of a 6000mA battery but went way beyond! Installation was a breeze and it is very snappy in use. I started out downgrading to the compatible stock ROM and unlocked the bootloader. Then Odin did the flash and twrp did the data formation.

Possibility the best experience I've had going from stock to custom ROM on any device.

Edit: I did read another guide on how to do all the above which in my opinion only muddied the process. I probably didn't have to downgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magendanz

DKzVeNgEnS

Jul 14, 2016
I've tried installing V4A without luck.. I uninstalled audiofx but that didn't help, any solution?
When I start playing music it just goes to abnormal and not supported

Last edited:

ibayibay1

Feb 2, 2020
Filesystem read only?

I have followed the instructions. Thanks for your work. It seems that internal storage is mounted as read only? I cannot download anything except to the sd card, or make new folders. This is from inside the tablet, as well as from adb push on the command line. I have unchecked "mount read only" in TWRP. Any advice?

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I have followed the instructions. Thanks for your work. It seems that internal storage is mounted as read only? I cannot download anything except to the sd card, or make new folders. This is from inside the tablet, as well as from adb push on the command line. I have unchecked "mount read only" in TWRP. Any advice?
Did you format the data partition? Not just wipe, but format it?

Dec 31, 2019
Downgrade for T510XXU2ASK5 update?

I just bough a refurbished 2019 Tab A that has the latest update ( December 2019 ) T510XXU2ASK5 on it. I want to install this version of lineage on my tab A, but I'm not sure if I need to downgrade since your version is based on ( September 2019 ) T510XXU2ASI4.

Should I downgrade to the September 2019 version? If so, could someone shoot me a link that points me in the right direction on how to downgrade?

If I don't need to downgrade, can I flash this version of lineage on the December update?

Thanks

CCivale

Apr 25, 2011
I just bough a refurbished 2019 Tab A that has the latest update ( December 2019 ) T510XXU2ASK5 on it. I want to install this version of lineage on my tab A, but I'm not sure if I need to downgrade since your version is based on ( September 2019 ) T510XXU2ASI4.

Should I downgrade to the September 2019 version? If so, could someone shoot me a link that points me in the right direction on how to downgrade?

If I don't need to downgrade, can I flash this version of lineage on the December update?

Thanks
Yup, I have the same question. Just received my T510 today and I'm on the December update as well.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
I was holding out for Samsung to post the T510XXU2ASK5 kernel source, but I'll probably build an update based on T510XXS2ASK1 this weekend just because they're taking so long. You should still always downgrade to the OEM release for that kernel version, though, since it's risky to run mismatched kernel/vendor combinations.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

In the spirit of moving custom ROM development along for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510], here's a build of LineageOS 16.0 I just created based on the latest OEM firmware and @AndyYan's latest LineageOS 16.0 GSI. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even better work.

Notes:
    • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and this one is based on the February 2020 Update (T510XXS3ATB4).
    • Stock recovery will be replaced with my latest TWRP build for the SM-T510..
    • This is built with root support (enabled in Developer Options). To remove (and enable vendor spoofing), just run "/system/bin/phh-securize.sh" with root access.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:

Change Log:
    20200422:
    • New private build of LineageOS GSI with April 2020 Security Patch.
    • Updated to the OEM T510XXS3ATB4 kernel and vendor partition.
    20200405:
    • Fixed Double Tap to Wake feature (enabled in Phh Treble Settings).
    • Fixed crash on first two attempts to launch Phh Treble Settings.
    • New private build of LineageOS GSI with the above fixes (#663 & #1228).
    20200324:
    • New LineageOS GSI build of treble_a64_bvN target with March 2020 Security Update.
    • Switched to ext2simg for sparse image conversion to improve Odin compatibility and reduce download size.
    • Updated to T510XXS2ASK5 kernel (November 2019 Update)
    20200308:
    • MTP file transfers should now work even with USB Debugging disabled.
    • Charging after full shutdown will no longer hang during level-of-charge animation.
    • Updated to T510XXS2ASK1 kernel (November 2019 Update)
    20191019:

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
    • If TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data and reboot to system. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    From existing TWRP install:
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    • Tap Install, select your update (.zip file), and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @AndyYan and @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show them some love here and here!
    New release today, and I'm now building LineageOS GSI myself and so can ensure we get the latest security updates.

Change Log:
    20200324:
    • New LineageOS GSI build of treble_a64_bvN target with March 2020 Security Update.
    • Switched to ext2simg for sparse image conversion to improve Odin compatibility and reduce download size.
    • Updated to T510XXS2ASK5 kernel (November 2019 Update)
    Leaving my own donation link here if anyone's feeling like it: https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan

One thing to note: LineageOS includes LiveDisplay and Night Light which affect the tone of the display (I like colder displays), but on this device both features lag the UI horribly, probably due to lack of HW acceleration. In this case, try the build.prop trick here to make things perceptibly smooth.
    Is this version of Lineage OS you're using here 64bit?
    No, since all the OEM firmware released for this device so far has been ARM32 with 64-bit binder. This makes sense for the 2GB config (since 32-bit has a smaller memory and disk footprint), but we miss out on a few Google apps (like Recorder) that have only been released in 64-bit. If we want to build ARM64 for this device, we'll need to adapt the vendor partition from another Exynos 7904 device like the Galaxy A40.

Also love your Nexus 9 variant, which one of these two roms should I go for in your opinion? I basically just want the most decluttered/smoothest/lightest OS and am pretty much only going to play TFT on this tablet (which takes quite some juice)
    My favorite right now is the Nexus Stock for Android Pie, which is based on LineageOS 16.0 (LP) that I now build myself and find at this point is more stable and smooth than custom ROMs built on LineageOS 17.1 (LQ). If you want to further debloat, you can just reboot to TWRP and delete the LineageOS or Google apps you feel you don't need. (Look in /system_root/system/app.)
    Is this ROM still being updated or worked on? Just curious been 2 months and nothing from the OP. Thanks.
    I'll update it with the latest kernel source when I get back from holiday, but I wouldn't expect much because there haven't been any GSI updates from @AndyYan.