[ROM][SM-T510][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 19.1 for Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019)

Search This thread

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

In the spirit of moving custom ROM development along for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510], here's a build of LineageOS 19.1 I just created based on the latest OEM stock firmware and @AndyYan's latest LineageOS 19.1 GSI. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even more custom ROMs for this tablet.

Notes:
  • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
  • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and this one is based on the latest Android 11 release (T510XXU5CVG2).
  • Stock recovery will be replaced with my latest TWRP build for the SM-T510.
  • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
  • Support for file-based encryption
Downloads:
Build archives:
Change Log:

20220918:
  • Initial release based on LineageOS 19.1 GSI (20220912) with Sept. 2022 security patch and GApps.
  • Based on the latest Android 11 OEM kernel and vendor partition (T510XXU5CVG2).
  • Includes TWRP v3.6.2 custom recovery built on AOSP 11.

Instructions:
From OEM stock firmware:
  • Unlock bootloader
  • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
  • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
  • If TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data and reboot to system. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
From existing TWRP install:
  • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
  • Tap Install, Install Image, select your update (.img file), and then swipe to install
  • Factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
  • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
  • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
  • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @AndyYan and @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show them some love here and here!

Last edited:

NJey90

Sep 19, 2022
Germany, Bavaria
Good evening Mr. Magendanz,
i installed this ROM on my Samsung SM-T510 and my tab/back/home buttons are not in the middle/bottom position they are in the right corner (i had this issue also with another unffocial lineage Os 19.1 Rom for SM-T510)
How can i solve this ?

Kenaz Rune

Mar 29, 2019
Google Pixel 6
Good evening Mr. Magendanz,
i installed this ROM on my Samsung SM-T510 and my tab/back/home buttons are not in the middle/bottom position they are in the right corner (i had this issue also with another unffocial lineage Os 19.1 Rom for SM-T510)
How can i solve this ?
Is the task bare active? I have the same layout when it is. You can turn it off in settings, but research the bar, you might want to use it.

Kenaz Rune

Mar 29, 2019
Google Pixel 6
@Magendanz , I dirty installed it over my lineageos gsi, and it works great so far. One problem I see, and had with the gsi is that I have a notification to finish installation, but there is no way to get past the network selection. There is no button to either skip or continue. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you for this - I know how hard it is given your other responsibilities!

galoneta

Nov 15, 2010
Thanks Magendanz for this news!

Coming from LineageOS 17.1 (lineage-17.1-20200812-UNOFFICIAL-T510XXU3BTFN), what would be the sequence of steps for updating to this rom ?

Thanks.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Coming from LineageOS 17.1 (lineage-17.1-20200812-UNOFFICIAL-T510XXU3BTFN), what would be the sequence of steps for updating to this rom ?
I recommend you download and install the T510XXU5CVG2 firmware, do a clean install with Odin...but intercept the restart by holding Vol Up & Down so that you reenter Download mode. Then, install this custom ROM with Odin and intercept the restart by holding Power + Vol Up to enter TWRP. From there, do a factory reset and reboot to system.

If you inadvertently miss the restart intercept and have to run through OEM setup, make sure to connect to the Internet and then enter Developer options to disarm Vaultkeeper. Don't try to flash anything else until you've verified the OEM Unlock is still on (but disabled).

Reactions: galoneta

galoneta

Nov 15, 2010
I recommend you download and install the T510XXU5CVG2 firmware, do a clean install with Odin...but intercept the restart by holding Vol Up & Down so that you reenter Download mode. Then, install this custom ROM with Odin and intercept the restart by holding Power + Vol Up to enter TWRP. From there, do a factory reset and reboot to system.

If you inadvertently miss the restart intercept and have to run through OEM setup, make sure to connect to the Internet and then enter Developer options to disarm Vaultkeeper. Don't try to flash anything else until you've verified the OEM Unlock is still on (but disabled).

Thanks Magendanz for this clarifying tutorial!

So you must first always update \ have the samsung base AND the custom recovery to a MINIMUM combination set? In this case the minimum "combo" set would be a samsung rom with android 11 as base (and recovery 3.6) right ?

Will try this sequence and give feedback as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magendanz

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Can you also make a variant for sm-t515?
Cheers and thanks
In the ten or so years I've been dealing with Samsung tablets and XDA, I must have seen this question asked at least a hundred times. "Can you make the wifi ROM work on the LTE version?" of whatever tablet or vice versa. And the answer is always "No." They are two different animals and normally the dev has one or the other. And it is very difficult to make a ROM for a device you don't have. And the same thing goes for tablets with the S Pen. They are NOT the same.

dissidius

Nov 9, 2009
TIRANA
In the ten or so years I've been dealing with Samsung tablets and XDA, I must have seen this question asked at least a hundred times. "Can you make the wifi ROM work on the LTE version?" of whatever tablet or vice versa. And the answer is always "No." They are two different animals and normally the dev has one or the other. And it is very difficult to make a ROM for a device you don't have. And the same thing goes for tablets with the S Pen. They are NOT the same.
of course mate i like your passion in explaining such things but i belive *i can be wrong of course* that i wasn't asking on a Xiaomi Poco thread..... this two devices are very much similar, smt510 twrp works correcly on smt515 for example. Just maybe the rom could also work with some little tweaks. Thanks

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
of course mate i like your passion in explaining such things but i belive *i can be wrong of course* that i wasn't asking on a Xiaomi Poco thread..... this two devices are very much similar, smt510 twrp works correcly on smt515 for example. Just maybe the rom could also work with some little tweaks. Thanks
Yes, TWRP can work on both but recovery doesn't access the LTE modem. And, again, I'm stating MY experience from over ten years of having people ask the question about many, many SAMSUNG tablets only.

waeking

Nov 18, 2009
Has anyone successfully installed MindTheGApps on lineageos19? did you use an sdcard or adb or some other method? I don't have access to an sdcard but I am curious if this is the only way. I have not been successful in using adb..... yet!

doctorsk

Mar 7, 2021
Gold Coast, Australia
This version of Lineage 19 already has Gapps installed. So MindtheGapps is not needed. Installing it using the tar ball and Odin means you don't need an SD card. Or have I missed something?

sakui23

Dec 5, 2014
20221008_194732.jpg

This is the 2019 version. I can't get this to install. Bootloader is unlocked and tablet is rooted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

In the spirit of moving custom ROM development along for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510], here's a build of LineageOS 19.1 I just created based on the latest OEM stock firmware and @AndyYan's latest LineageOS 19.1 GSI. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even more custom ROMs for this tablet.

Notes:
    • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and this one is based on the latest Android 11 release (T510XXU5CVG2).
    • Stock recovery will be replaced with my latest TWRP build for the SM-T510.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption
    Downloads:
    Build archives:
    Change Log:

20220918:
    • Initial release based on LineageOS 19.1 GSI (20220912) with Sept. 2022 security patch and GApps.
    • Based on the latest Android 11 OEM kernel and vendor partition (T510XXU5CVG2).
    • Includes TWRP v3.6.2 custom recovery built on AOSP 11.

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
    • If TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data and reboot to system. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    From existing TWRP install:
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install, Install Image, select your update (.img file), and then swipe to install
    • Factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @AndyYan and @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show them some love here and here!
    Regardless of the complaints and nitpicks, your work here is valuable to us all and I hope you keep updating this tablet as long as you have one and that you do the same for the next one you own (hopefully the S8 or an as yet unreleased version in the near future) .
    That's kind of you to say, Kenaz. I just wish I had more time to dedicate to these Android tablet (and Android TV) projects, but I'm in the final two weeks of a reelection campaign to the WA state legislature while also holding down a full-time job and a side hustle developing mobile campaign tools. Things will be better after November 8th.
    Can you also make a variant for sm-t515?
    Cheers and thanks
    @Magendanz , I know you get lots of people like me picking nits or sometimes outright complaining, and I feel it is important to tell you that despite all that, we'd be screwed without what you already did for this device. Thank you.

I want to upgrade to a newer, faster tablet but I can't right now. Why? Because nobody but Samsung is making a decent tablet now, and unfortunately, nobody is doing the work you do for those tablets.

I am not buying a TAB S8 because there is zero evidence of any ROM or Kernel work on that forum, and nobody is willing or able to confirm for me that Andy's GSI (or any other) works on that device. The same is true for the S7, S7Lite, or A7 or A8. It's sad.

The upcoming Pixel tablet looks like it's going to be specialized for home use, so it will lack basic features I want in a tablet, so even that is probably out of reach. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many others agree.

Regardless of the complaints and nitpicks, your work here is valuable to us all and I hope you keep updating this tablet as long as you have one and that you do the same for the next one you own (hopefully the S8 or an as yet unreleased version in the near future) .