[ROM][SM-T510][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 19.1 for Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019)

Search This thread

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Just a question, to be sure to well understand.

What are the differences between Magendanz builds and GSI builds provided by Andy?

Is this rom completed with Samsung sm-t510 specific codes / modifications ? Other things?

Thanks for your "lights" :)
Magendanz builds custom ROMs that include Google Services and are meant to mimic something like the Pixel ROMs while Andy's have no Google. So if you want Google Play Store and other google services with Andy's, you need to also flash a gapps package.

Reactions: draxx31

draxx31

Jan 16, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Last edited:

62688tesen

Jan 29, 2023
Hi everyone, glad to have found this thread😀
Running smoothly on my T510 except sd card can't be set as portable storage.

Also, Netflix can't seemed to be installed.

Thanks very much @Magendanz 🙏

jacomail95

Nov 11, 2012
Fondi, LT
Can run 64 bit appps?
System is 32 bit, even if our chipset supports 64 bit environment, so you can only run 32 bit apps, typical Samsung behavior.

On another Samsung tablet anyway they achieved 64 bit system, but I don't know if the same can be done on our model, technically it's still possible

bardmaster

Mar 6, 2013
Apologies for N00B question but I am a long-standing novice: How do I flash from TWRP? I unzipped the file provided and it has boot.img, recovery.img, and vbmeta.img. I don't see any img file for a system image?

Background: I started with the Odin tarball and it flashed perfectly and installed both TWRP 3.6.2 and Lineaage 19.1 OS for the T510 (thank you so much @Magendanz), but the OS was buggy and no performance improvement (perhaps even worse). So I flashed CAOS (
) from TWRP and it actually works great and already a tremendous performance boost over stock (note: very barebones).

BUT, out of curiosity more than anything (though I do like the Lineage look and feel better), I thought I'd try flashing this Lineage build from the ZIP provided for TWRP install to see if something went wrong during the Odin flashing.

Thanks for anybody who can advise!

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
How do I flash from TWRP? I unzipped the file provided and it has boot.img, recovery.img, and vbmeta.img. I don't see any img file for a system image?
The zip file is the sparse Android data image (SDAT) format used in OTA updates, where the system image is split into system.transfer.list, system.patch.dat & system.new.dat files. Just use the Install command in TWRP on the .zip file directly.

bardmaster

Mar 6, 2013
The zip file is the sparse Android data image (SDAT) format used in OTA updates, where the system image is split into system.transfer.list, system.patch.dat & system.new.dat files. Just use the Install command in TWRP on the .zip file directly.
Thanks...but now I may have bricked my tablet :( I found another Youtube feed for the T510 about using TWRP 3.7 to flash Andy's rom directly. 3.7 updated just fine, so I plowed forward. The tutorial was for 19.1 but I noticed 20 was out there so grabbed lineage-20.0-20230115-UNOFFICIAL-a64_bgN-vndklite.img.xz and flashed it. Now it's stuck looping on the Lineage startup graphic (the curved line with the circle going only right to left - appropriately looks like a frown to me now!). I cannot seem to get back into TWRP! The only thing that temporarily stops it is hitting power+voldn for 5 seconds, but that just reboots back into the looping. Trying to hit power+volup doesn't invoke TWRP - which I think is correct since you're supposed to do this from a powered-down state. But pushing the power button for 2+ minutes does nothing.

So...right now I'm stuck waiting for my battery to die down so that hopefully I can boot into TWRP from a powered-down state...

Last edited:

elwhiteboy01

Apr 1, 2016
Miami
So, I have been having this problem, and I guess it will be unsupported, so I will have to search for another rom, but just in case.

I'm having problems with the Micro SD (Samsung 128GB). It's the same one I was using before I installed it, and it said it was corrupted and needed to format... I made a backup on my PC, and then selected to use internally, and it seemed fine, until I tried to eject, and it warned me I wouldn't be able to use it in other devices... So if I ever had to migrate stuff, that would be a problem.

So I went back, and formatted as portable, so it formatted again, and didn't recognize it... I ejected, moved it to my PC to check which format type it had done, and sure enough, it was exFAT, just like I originally had, but it doesn't recognize anyway.

I tried formatting as internal, ejected to check on PC, and sure enough, Windows doesn't recognize, so I'm guessing it must be ext3 or 4, I have no Linux right now to be able to check on it.

I even tried formatting to NTFS, but it didn't work. Since I'm unable to format it into FAT32, and exFAT doesn't work, seems like I would be unable to use LineageOS in any way with my SD
format it thru twrp and it will work

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Thanks...but now I may have bricked my tablet :( I found another Youtube feed for the T510 about using TWRP 3.7 to flash Andy's rom directly. 3.7 updated just fine, so I plowed forward. The tutorial was for 19.1 but I noticed 20 was out there so grabbed lineage-20.0-20230115-UNOFFICIAL-a64_bgN-vndklite.img.xz and flashed it. Now it's stuck looping on the Lineage startup graphic (the curved line with the circle going only right to left - appropriately looks like a frown to me now!). I cannot seem to get back into TWRP! The only thing that temporarily stops it is hitting power+voldn for 5 seconds, but that just reboots back into the looping. Trying to hit power+volup doesn't invoke TWRP - which I think is correct since you're supposed to do this from a powered-down state. But pushing the power button for 2+ minutes does nothing.

So...right now I'm stuck waiting for my battery to die down so that hopefully I can boot into TWRP from a powered-down state...
This takes practice, but once you get the timing you'll never have to wait again for the battery to die. Hold Power + Vol Down for exactly 7 seconds, then release and hold Power + Vol Up to enter recovery. Will probably take a few tries, but it's much better than waiting.

bardmaster

Mar 6, 2013
This takes practice, but once you get the timing you'll never have to wait again for the battery to die. Hold Power + Vol Down for exactly 7 seconds, then release and hold Power + Vol Up to enter recovery. Will probably take a few tries, but it's much better than waiting.
Thanks so much! I was trying that but clearly didn't have the timing down. Got it on the first try (after your tip) and flashed your Lineage zip. Sadly I didn't get too far as I got stuck on the white install screen after setting up wifi. After no activity for 5 min I gave up and went back to CAOS. It works and works well, so I'll stick with it. But thanks again!

elwhiteboy01

Apr 1, 2016
Miami
And to get the navbar right, go to settings/system/buttons/taskbar/disable just do that and that mini navbar with the overlay goes away

bardmaster

Mar 6, 2013
@Magendanz are you planning on doing any work with LineageOS 20 for the SM-T510? Yes, I've got the bug. CAOS works great but is Spartan and boring.

For some reason this version doesn't work for me, from setup problems to shutting down & restarting taking 20-30 seconds. So if I'm going once more into the breach I would want the latest version based on Android 13.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
@Magendanz are you planning on doing any work with LineageOS 20 for the SM-T510? Yes, I've got the bug. CAOS works great but is Spartan and boring.

For some reason this version doesn't work for me, from setup problems to shutting down & restarting taking 20-30 seconds. So if I'm going once more into the breach I would want the latest version based on Android 13.
I've not had any luck running Andy's "Light" GSI builds of LineageOS 20 on my older Samsung tablets, but I'll be trying the new "TD" (TrebleDroid) ones soon. Also, it can be a bit of a challenge to get 32-bit GApps these days, but there are still a few options left.

Reactions: AfiqAffandi

jaladhjin

Jul 13, 2013
Dear omfgthisisalaborofovehobbynoonewesyouanythingragers,

This isn't for you, if yo ufeel the need to rage anyway I'm sorry someonesomewherehurt you this much that you find yourself here trying torip me to shreds for having a chatt with this hap.

Anyway @MagendanzI I want you to hear me say it before the internet comes for me what little this is left on XDA anyway 😂🤣

So I've always loved your releases always even with TWERP somethin 'about stock rooted just doesn't do it for me.

But anyway your willingness tonot only champion these specific projects in your own way now I totally understand theree other other contributors don't come for me inteernet c'mon I'm not ryin' to be out here like that.

So anyway i'm fairly confident this is he ROM I I asked you said this was ndrodi 12 despite the old kenel I believ itwas? which was till technically an Android 11 kernal yes.. azzBut currrently I'm on like bizzaro 12 since Aboutreports it but some prtsre stll 11 if I'm ndstading perhaps in an extreeeeeeemly oversimpliefied way gbuuuut yeah?

So anyway onto the trouble, ever sine I fashed this I've hda bad time. again interne haters it awas my choice ot flash it, this kidn soul was generous enouh to provide it yup yup got it mmhm can we moveon pleases? No one's ungratef here.

I'm atually kinda shockedwhat seems to have happened. My Storafge & SD Stroage tested kown good other drevices fgot wrecked too

Weirdestthin of all wsther thant earchign throughfile mangers I saw no sign ofissues there was just nothin' there until the day finally came Offical Storage in Official Sysem was crasjomg/: No reports of internal or exterrnal prior to he crashes.

I noticed too my like emulated0Download was gone toio messsed rounda bit & notied itwas on again

So I decied okay lets hava bit ore funf or sience i fI'd wager a majority of us use Braveor Vivaldi I'm nodifferent. thing downloaded small thing don't rmember what it as..

Apps weren'tdownloading aanythingl.

Well I could ramblef orever but the short of itiis my storage is de to the stroyed which unfortunately mean Ican't just dlan old verion & flash back tooo what honestly I'md bad enough @ that too when you folk @ liekjust ensures it includes this that or the other kernels,, biidsn gl I'm ntoa smart guy hahar

OKaaaa8yyy I mean on the hand I aaammm smart enoug ht hve gotten mysefl

So I mean I know a biiiiiit maybe not a lotta bits but a bit.

Still have agic. Still hae TWRP nut with all the storage acting up somc that'ps another reason I'm reachin' out I figured oif WP_W ould maybe point out osme isues with the system strucutures/diretores & whoknwos I can on lyrah fix'm

I'm sorry I'm gettin' really tired that's why someof thisis jiggerish

I'd be prepared to go down= a rabit hole with you & maybesee hath appenedhere unless you already know & a reminder for all the haters not blll.

So then I thought well if yourenot much intrrigued on the potential steps going forward.

I'm assuming that whole kernel kernel & firmwre rthing again huh purdy much any 18.1 especialloy hen ewest 1.81 gbetwen the 19.2? 2.00 weas even ganworse

Uhm anyway I had couple simpler questiosn toio.

Let's say for no good reason it made me feel better to run multidialewr every uhh y'i

I do absolutely, totally, 110% know that is not necessary & tbh kinda ridicuosu to do I know that but what if I did?L Any impact at all?

Or does flashing it twice/ 4/6/8/10 etc cancel oee another out like 2 hadoukens? Haha

Well unless you want to go down the rabbit hole testing I'm guesing via TWRP ADB even though the tablet itself shockingly still boots. Nuts right? Right

So yeah what's the consensus on that mutidisabler go crazy flash ti every tiem you're in TWRP if it makes you fel ertter it ha iltlei mpact? LoL Or will a 2nd time cancel its efffects out?

And not to seem completely ignorant I know its value i when you just root a new tablet oooor I believe ugraebuilds oficial witi Odin or is Heimdalls till in the gameee or all Odinnow?L

And just so you can hear it said 'cause I knot you know butno one says it enough & it's always nice o hear. I know you didnt do his to me. I'm super rateful for your rerleaes thank you so hekn much for keepmy my hobby tablet my hobby tablet. & I've been looooooovin' it.

For my own clarity 19.xwashwen you stoppedd or started depending which side of that fence you're on including GApps yeah?

And one other question for everyody whatyou's your fave 510 ROM?

Are tthere many/any serious custom kernels like Franco/ElementalXfrom ack in the day?

nd wht are your fav Magisk moddulese en if from fox's mnanager & yf'eel mroe comfortable PM'n'm do what'cha gota doto get yourself to seel tonight haha.

Anybody recomend any other ROMs for the 510 just ccheck out ngl I find this whole section a didaster at best & I donto say that to be hestile I just mean it'd benice if there wer setions organized by the most heavily focused version of the product in quuestion.

Like even know I'm not super looking forward to lookin' for 510 stuff but I've also noticed in my travels I've got a TWRP update which I Just love keeping up to date as well.

And speaking of TWRP for as long as it has ben now. As long as it ha existed is Landscapoe mode really not possible?

And some rispy themes like lacked out modes 🤘😎🤘

Regardlkess people don't say it enougjh, I don't say it enough..

All oyu devs are the greatest keeppoing oru devices sooooooo much freakin' fun!

/salutre

guyderam

Nov 5, 2008
OnePlus Nord
Xiaomi 11T Pro
@Magendanz thank you very much for this bro. I have tried your tutorial as mention on the first page, flash latest firmware on odin and intercept the reboot and then flash this from.

Unfortunately, even without me intercepting the reboot in went back into download mode. And when I tried to flash your rom, it went into bootloop.

I have managed to flash back the latest firmware and my bootloader is unlocked still.

How do I flash your firmware now? Can I use odin to flash your rom over this stock firmware?

mucusmachine

Feb 25, 2023
@Magendanz thank you for providing all the instructions and the rom. This is my 1st time doing any software modification to a device, and i encountered an error that i couldn't solve with googling.

I got the error "ui_print(): Failed to parse the argument(s)" and the Error: 7 message at the .zip installation stage. Prior to this, i have formatted data and advance wiped on all the available options before copying the zip file onto the device.

Did i missed a step after flashing the firmware on Odin? Any help is greatly appreciated.
IMG_0391 (1).jpg

elwhiteboy01

Apr 1, 2016
Miami
try formatting the data, by typing (yes) before installing thru twrp. since i had downloaded the nexus rom as well, i would switch to that rom until this rom worked, and each time formatting data (yes) the settings reminds me of kitkat settings for the sm-t230nu/// Update /// Back to the 18.1 (No Google)! I feel the hardcoded google on the 19.1 rom has made it laggy/buggy. With F-Droid, Aptoide and the Aurora store...who needs google anyway lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

In the spirit of moving custom ROM development along for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510], here's a build of LineageOS 19.1 I just created based on the latest OEM stock firmware and @AndyYan's latest LineageOS 19.1 GSI. It's very much a work in progress, but it should hopefully help blaze the trail for even more custom ROMs for this tablet.

Notes:
    • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and this one is based on the latest Android 11 release (T510XXU5CVG2).
    • Stock recovery will be replaced with my latest TWRP build for the SM-T510.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption
    Downloads:
    Build archives:
    Change Log:

20220918:
    • Initial release based on LineageOS 19.1 GSI (20220912) with Sept. 2022 security patch and GApps.
    • Based on the latest Android 11 OEM kernel and vendor partition (T510XXU5CVG2).
    • Includes TWRP v3.6.2 custom recovery built on AOSP 11.

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install custom ROM tarball (.tar.md5 file) to AP with Odin
    • If TWRP launches, factory reset with Wipe->Format Data and reboot to system. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    From existing TWRP install:
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install, Install Image, select your update (.img file), and then swipe to install
    • Factory reset with Wipe->Format Data. (Not necessary for incremental upgrades.)
    • Reboot to system

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    • I'm leveraging a ton of work done by @AndyYan and @phhusson for Treble GSIs, so please show them some love here and here!
    Regardless of the complaints and nitpicks, your work here is valuable to us all and I hope you keep updating this tablet as long as you have one and that you do the same for the next one you own (hopefully the S8 or an as yet unreleased version in the near future) .
    That's kind of you to say, Kenaz. I just wish I had more time to dedicate to these Android tablet (and Android TV) projects, but I'm in the final two weeks of a reelection campaign to the WA state legislature while also holding down a full-time job and a side hustle developing mobile campaign tools. Things will be better after November 8th.
    so is the Android 12 "a lie" for lack of a better term?

Is the tablet running this rom still on Android 11?
    Nope, it's really running Android 12, just on an Android 11 kernel. Project Treble allows framework-only updates like this through the Vendor Native Development Kit (VNDK).
    Are there any nifty apps I can use while booted into Android itself to show me all this firmware & bootloader type info in a cleaner format than the About > System section does?

I know most of it is contained in there too but it seems like it kinda mashes some of that info together in places.

I believe I can also view that info in Download mode right but I was hoping for a clean view in Android too via some system summary app even if it requires root I've got it truthfully thanks to you ha😁👍
    Check out Treble Check.
    Can you also make a variant for sm-t515?
    Cheers and thanks
    In the ten or so years I've been dealing with Samsung tablets and XDA, I must have seen this question asked at least a hundred times. "Can you make the wifi ROM work on the LTE version?" of whatever tablet or vice versa. And the answer is always "No." They are two different animals and normally the dev has one or the other. And it is very difficult to make a ROM for a device you don't have. And the same thing goes for tablets with the S Pen. They are NOT the same.
    @Magendanz , I know you get lots of people like me picking nits or sometimes outright complaining, and I feel it is important to tell you that despite all that, we'd be screwed without what you already did for this device. Thank you.

I want to upgrade to a newer, faster tablet but I can't right now. Why? Because nobody but Samsung is making a decent tablet now, and unfortunately, nobody is doing the work you do for those tablets.

I am not buying a TAB S8 because there is zero evidence of any ROM or Kernel work on that forum, and nobody is willing or able to confirm for me that Andy's GSI (or any other) works on that device. The same is true for the S7, S7Lite, or A7 or A8. It's sad.

The upcoming Pixel tablet looks like it's going to be specialized for home use, so it will lack basic features I want in a tablet, so even that is probably out of reach. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect many others agree.

Regardless of the complaints and nitpicks, your work here is valuable to us all and I hope you keep updating this tablet as long as you have one and that you do the same for the next one you own (hopefully the S8 or an as yet unreleased version in the near future) .