• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM]|SM-T520|SM-T900|[UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 | Android 10

Search This thread

xfiver

Dec 20, 2007
Hi,
Having seen kb8no and others install this rom with success, I just installed it, its looking good.

Did have the 'Hello Google' to Pin screen loop, but thanks to Larision post and tip
I managed to find set of headphones with mic and got past that loop.

Did flash straight from LOS 14 to LOS 17 , so not from a Samsung build, so not sure if that was the cause of the loop.

Will post any issues I experience.

Thanks for ROM.

xIntenso

Dec 19, 2010
Hi!

After all the positive experiences, I also installed this ROM on my SM-T900.

Unfortunately, my experience is less positive.
The tablet randomly crashes and reboots when I use any browser, particularly Firefox.
Also, when the tablet is on, it charges very slowly, to the point where it actually drains the battery when I'm using it with the charger plugged in.

When I'm not using any apps or on the home screen, the tablet works properly though.

I upgraded from 14.1, although I did a full wipe in between, but not internal storage. I also upgraded to the latest TWRP before flashing. I flashed the ROM + Gapps nano.

Also, USB connectivity is broken, so getting old ROM files back on the tablet is kind of a pain, since I want to revert back to 14.1 now. Should have backed up in hindsight T.T .

Still, I want to thank you for your work on keeping this tablet alive. If the ROM becomes more mature and stable, I will for sure come back and try again!

xIntenso

Dec 19, 2010
Damn!! Just installed and working.
Really good work! Thanks!!!!
i found a bit problem, starting android it loops between voice assistant and set lock for tablet. i needed connect earphones with microphone to finish voice assistant configuration and then it continued.

Thanks for rom!
By the way, the voice assistant loop only happened for me when I set the language to US English.
When I set it to Dutch (my native language), the loop does not occur at all!

xIntenso

Dec 19, 2010
Hi!

After all the positive experiences, I also installed this ROM on my SM-T900.

Unfortunately, my experience is less positive.
The tablet randomly crashes and reboots when I use any browser, particularly Firefox.
Also, when the tablet is on, it charges very slowly, to the point where it actually drains the battery when I'm using it with the charger plugged in.

When I'm not using any apps or on the home screen, the tablet works properly though.

I upgraded from 14.1, although I did a full wipe in between, but not internal storage. I also upgraded to the latest TWRP before flashing. I flashed the ROM + Gapps nano.

Also, USB connectivity is broken, so getting old ROM files back on the tablet is kind of a pain, since I want to revert back to 14.1 now. Should have backed up in hindsight T.T .

Still, I want to thank you for your work on keeping this tablet alive. If the ROM becomes more mature and stable, I will for sure come back and try again!
I tried reverting the device completely to stock, and then following the installation instructions again, and this time, no crashes!

Reactions: pjotrski1000

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
I tried reverting the device completely to stock, and then following the installation instructions again, and this time, no crashes!
Ah ha! I was thinking about this and planning to try it. And after you flashed back to stock and then flashed LOS 17.1 again did it fix other things? Did the PIN unlock on first boot start working? Can you install purchased apps directly from Google Play app? Did the lagginess improve? Did the Google Assistant issue on first Google login disappear?

TechDriver

Aug 4, 2018
Podolie
Ah ha! I was thinking about this and planning to try it. And after you flashed back to stock and then flashed LOS 17.1 again did it fix other things? Did the PIN unlock on first boot start working? Can you install purchased apps directly from Google Play app? Did the lagginess improve? Did the Google Assistant issue on first Google login disappear?
Lagginess won't improve, its probably fault in kernel and the same lagginess is in lineageos-14.1 deathly edition so it's up to devs to fix it however theese tablets aren't really developed further, so I don't expect this to be fixed. Also installing purchased apps will be able from browser version of google play store because of missing google play protect certification.

Last edited:
Reactions: stanl56

TechDriver

Aug 4, 2018
Podolie
I am currently working on building lineageos-15.1 and 16.0. I see theese versions as more stable because of more developed code. I had successfully built los 16.0 multiple times but always run into bootloop. Los 15.1 is even more tricky. I run into multiple problems building it but if I will succesfully complete it and it will be stable enough I will give you link to download.

TechDriver

Aug 4, 2018
Podolie
To make selinux enforcing, devs have to write device specific selinux policies. It's set to permissive because these policies are missing. To get device certified device must pass safetynet chceck. This is also related to device code but magisk safetynet fix module might do the trick. If safetynet check is successfull, it's necessary to sign rom with google service framework id here: https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/?pli=1 Haven't tested it myself yet but it should be right direction.

xIntenso

Dec 19, 2010
By the way, the voice assistant loop only happened for me when I set the language to US English.
When I set it to Dutch (my native language), the loop does not occur at all!
Another trick: Simply do not set up wifi and your Google account on first-time setup.
Then, when you arrive on the home screen, you can connect to wifi and set up your account.
Once the loop happens, you can now simply go back to the home screen because the setup can no longer prevent you from doing that.

Reactions: Larision and xfiver

xIntenso

Dec 19, 2010
Can't comment on the PIN problem because I used the workaround I explained in my previous post. I can install purchased apps completely fine. SafetyNet also passes after flashing Magisk and enabling MagiskHide. No safetynet fix module flash needed.
General lagginess is still there sometimes, but I just blame the crappy Exynos SoC for that. It's not a very powerful chip. As TechDriver mentioned, it is about the same as on LOS 14.1.

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
@xIntenso Thanks for these posts. Indeed, not logging into WiFi allows you to boot into LOS17 without the headset being plugged in. Then log into WiFi and "Finish Setup" and log into Google. I got no boot loop and was able to click through Assistant screens . I then installed Magisk and MagiskHide and passed SafteyNet. This is progress.

However, PIN screen on first login after boot still fails intermittently. PlayStore still does not recognized purchased apps. I want to get there. What am I doing wrong / different that you. You flashed back to stock, do you think that might have been the difference?

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
@xIntenso I tried to go back to stock. I flashed my last OTA LMY47X.T900UEUBOJ1 using latest Odin3_v3.13.1. Got a PASS but it boot looped between startup screen and Samsung screen and I could never get it to load. (PANIC). But the stock was flashed and present, just wouldn't boot. It would be interesting if someone can make it complete the boot.

Apparently the bootloader is unlocked. After flashing a stock that can't complete a boot, I was able to Odin flash twrp-3.5.1_9-0. However, you need to uncheck auto reboot and manually use Power - Up Vol to boot directly in to the new recovery without the booting the ROM so a to get twrp to stick, otherwise stock ROM will overwrite with stock recovery. So I was able to twrp flash 17.1 and Gapps with zero problems. I cannot prove that flashing stock helped anything but I think it did.

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
There is the noted problem with the lock screen. The PIN entry fails at the first lock screen after boot. The tablet then becomes unresponsive and the lock screen times out. Usually the second try works but sometimes it may take several attempts. I have discovered on my tablet that if you allow the first lock screen to time out without touching (only takes 15 or 20 seconds), and give it a couple extra seconds of black screen, then the following attempt works every time.

xfiver

Dec 20, 2007
Hi,

Been using this ROM some 5 days, I use it mainly for reading news/tech websites and playing games like Freecell etc. So a quick report as I see bugs are now being collected

The ROM is relatively fast but I get the occasional lag/audio stutter but not too bad.

Main issues:
1) Regular crashes to Home Screen when using Chrome or Samsung Internet ( specially where the website have large content and adverts e.g. wccftech.com),
I have also had 2 crashes to reboot again when in Chrome.
2) My wallpaper (2560x1600 pixels ) always takes about a second to load, so when I switch to home screen the background is black then a second later wallpaper appears.

Plusses:
1) One game that used to crash almost everytime a video type advert was played in LOS14 now crashes slightly less often.
2) Battery life seems slightly improved (at least for me).

Thanks

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
@xfiver Thanks for your post. I too have periods of brilliance with this ROM working great. I am having a freeze - crash - reboot issue as well. Trying to isolate it. I have suspects. Lock screen is where I have had issues and it will freeze-crash-reboot right after screen time out and I can never get back to the lock screen. At least once it started shortly after I applied a wallpaper so I am suspect that this contributes.

I suspect the freeze and time out of first lock screen after boot is related. If you have the inclination, do a clean flash. Then always let the first lock screen time out before entering the ROM. Then do not touch the wall paper. See if that helps. I am thinking so.

I am also suspecting the mouse so I un-paired it and now finger only. If you are using a mouse, shelf it for awhile. I suspect Magisk so I am refraining from that as a trial. I am suspecting an app called Menu Button which puts buttons on the screen but also is the best thing yet for preventing portrait view when you want everything landscape and I am refraining from that too.

I am suspecting Nova and abandoned version 7 beta and went back to Google Play version. I am trialing this now.

It is premature but I think it is doing much better now. I think it is a graphics problem of some sort perhaps in the kernel but apparently not likely that any dev's will work on this.

xIntenso

Dec 19, 2010
@xIntenso I tried to go back to stock. I flashed my last OTA LMY47X.T900UEUBOJ1 using latest Odin3_v3.13.1. Got a PASS but it boot looped between startup screen and Samsung screen and I could never get it to load. (PANIC). But the stock was flashed and present, just wouldn't boot. It would be interesting if someone can make it complete the boot.

Apparently the bootloader is unlocked. After flashing a stock that can't complete a boot, I was able to Odin flash twrp-3.5.1_9-0. However, you need to uncheck auto reboot and manually use Power - Up Vol to boot directly in to the new recovery without the booting the ROM so a to get twrp to stick, otherwise stock ROM will overwrite with stock recovery. So I was able to twrp flash 17.1 and Gapps with zero problems. I cannot prove that flashing stock helped anything but I think it did.
For me, I needed to do a reset using the recovery that comes with the stock ROM. After that, first boot will take LONG, so don't panic if it doesn't boot quickly.
IDK how long exactly, because I flashed with Odin, rebooted into recovery, reset, and then went to cook dinner. When I came back half an hour later, I was greeted with the stock setup screen.

xIntenso

Dec 19, 2010
There is the noted problem with the lock screen. The PIN entry fails at the first lock screen after boot. The tablet then becomes unresponsive and the lock screen times out. Usually the second try works but sometimes it may take several attempts. I have discovered on my tablet that if you allow the first lock screen to time out without touching (only takes 15 or 20 seconds), and give it a couple extra seconds of black screen, then the following attempt works every time.
I can't help you with this one, since I do not use any PIN at all.
Lock screen can indeed take a second to load my wallpaper, but the desktop always has it loaded. I'm using the Microsoft Launcher by the way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not responsible for any damage to your device of any sort.
    By flashing this you take responsibility of anything that happens.
    Process at your own risk!

Special thanks to Exynos5420 team and LineageOS for all the sources.

Use SM-T900 build at your own risk. I can't guarantee you it will work, because I have no device to test it on.

Work
    Almost everything
    It has pretty much the same functionality as Lineage 14.1

Known Issues
    Built in mic not working
    USB problems
    You tell me...

Installation:
    1. Flash latest official Samsung Firmware with ODIN
    2. Flash latest TWRP Recovery: SM-T520 - SM-T900
    3. Backup all partitions
    4. Wipe Cache and Data
    5. Install ROM.ZIP
    6. Install latest GApps (ARM/Android10) https://opengapps.org/
    7. Reboot and Enjoy
    8. Optional: Install Magisk

For SM-T520 TWRP recoveries 3.1.1.0 and older will not flash this rom ending up with error 7: incompatible device.
    Make sure to flash TWRP mentioned above.

Download:
    SM-T520

SM-T900

I ll probably create builds with updated security and device code patches occasionally.

Enjoy fresh new Android!

Sources:
    https://github.com/LineageOS (LineageOS 17.1)
    https://github.com/exynos5420/ (Kernel, Device, Vendor)
    I am currently working on building lineageos-15.1 and 16.0. I see theese versions as more stable because of more developed code. I had successfully built los 16.0 multiple times but always run into bootloop. Los 15.1 is even more tricky. I run into multiple problems building it but if I will succesfully complete it and it will be stable enough I will give you link to download.
    Just to make things clear, I am not developer of code and not skilled enough to make changes in it. For this job, there is team exynos5420 and other cool contributors to make device sources. I use their device sources from exynos5420 and LineageOS github to build together final product... Rom.zip you install on device. I can't fix bugs, i only can wait until some contributor fixes it and I will build rom with fixes and updated security patches included.
    Damn!! Just installed and working.
    Really good work! Thanks!!!!
    i found a bit problem, starting android it loops between voice assistant and set lock for tablet. i needed connect earphones with microphone to finish voice assistant configuration and then it continued.

Thanks for rom!
    @TechDriver Clean flashed 17.1 over 14.1 without flashing stock on T900 using twrp-3.5.1_9-0 and it flashed great. I plugged in a headset but my Hey Google was already recorded and didn't give me any trouble. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't plugged in the headset. Play Store does not recognize my already purchased apps. This usually means something is not right and I wonder if not flashing stock first is related to this? Can be very smooth but can be a little glitchy as well. Still experimenting and trying things. Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse work great. Thank you for this.