• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][SM-T580][SM-T585][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 | Android 7.1.2 20171231+TWRP 3.2

Search This thread

Greeny4711

Mar 25, 2018
While I greatly appreciate another dev such as cschsz adding their efforts to enhance the Tab A, it gets very confusing when what is essentially a new ROM, is added to the thread of an existing one. Which one has the problem? To which one is a given post referring?
If it is going to be a continuing effort, then perhaps a new thread should be started. Or if it just an attempt to keep the existing ROM up to date, then maybe consulting with the original dev to get them to add the changes to the existing ROM and updating the links in the OP?
This is NOT meant to criticize anyone. Just a suggestion to clarify the situation.

I iam happy also about these roms. But it is very confusig to read about two roms within one tread. Shouldt this not devided in more than one thraed?

cschsz

Mar 4, 2018
Ingelheim
While I greatly appreciate another dev such as cschsz adding their efforts to enhance the Tab A, it gets very confusing when what is essentially a new ROM, is added to the thread of an existing one. Which one has the problem? To which one is a given post referring?

I iam happy also about these roms. But it is very confusig to read about two roms within one tread. Shouldt this not devided in more than one thraed?

I wouldn't call it "new rom" or "two roms". It is the rom build from @Valera1978 sources from post #1 with "repo sync", what means it includes all the security updates and features from lineageos till the last build from him - nothing else. If you search on xda for T580 or T585 you will find this thread, so I don't think it would be a good idea to start a new thread just for an updated rom.
@Valera1978: What do you think about it. Should I post the links to the new build of the rom here in this thread, in another thread or pm it to you, so u can change it in post #1?

Reactions: Franktdf

Greeny4711

Mar 25, 2018
I wouldn't call it "new rom" or "two roms". It is the rom build from @Valera1978 sources from post #1 with "repo sync", what means it includes all the security updates and features from lineageos till the last build from him - nothing else. If you search on xda for T580 or T585 you will find this thread, so I don't think it would be a good idea to start a new thread just for an updated rom.

@Valera1978: What do you think about it. Should I post the links to the new build of the rom here in this thread, in another thread or pm it to you, so u can change it in post #1?
Ok, now i understood, but nevertheless the two roms are different and made from two different top programmers. For me its not clear whether those two programmers have talked abaout the future capabilitys of the versions.so i mean the division in two thheads wouldt be the best. Maybe wait for other meaning of other fans of your fine work and make a decision together!?

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011

I don't give a hearty what you call it. If it isn't linked in the OP, then it is NOT the ROM referred to in the title of the thread. The OP is ALWAYS assumed to be the where the links can be found.

cschsz

Mar 4, 2018
Ingelheim
I don't give a hearty what you call it. If it isn't linked in the OP, then it is NOT the ROM referred to in the title of the thread. The OP is ALWAYS assumed to be the where the links can be found.
Ok, sorry for initiating this discussion by posting the information about an updated build.

I will stop posting until we know the statement from @Valera1978 as maintainer of the sources.

Franktdf

Mar 9, 2010
I do not see why this ROM should not be mentioned here, because it works nicely as some people have told in this forum.
To me it seems that @Valera1978 is putting his efford in the new Android version and stopped this ROM version. That is why I do appreciate cschsz efford to keep maintaining this version.
Yes, cschsz should proceed to list his new ROM versions in here, so the the users can find the latest security fixes for this ROM. I just do not assume that @Valera1978 has a problem with that. If he has, then let him say that here himself. The same time he could also let us know whether he wants to proceed himselv with this version.

Ok, sorry for initiating this discussion by posting the information about an updated build.
I will stop posting until we know the statement from @Valera1978 as maintainer of the sources.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

To me it seems obvious that Valera1978 stoipped developing the new Android version 8 for these tablets. Many are thankful that somebody took overs.

If it is going to be a continuing effort, then perhaps a new thread should be started. Or if it just an attempt to keep the existing ROM up to date, then maybe consulting with the original dev to get them to add the changes to the existing ROM and updating the links in the OP?
This is NOT meant to criticize anyone. Just a suggestion to clarify the situation.

Reactions: Greeny4711

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I do not see why this ROM should not be mentioned here, because it works nicely as some people have told in this forum.
To me it seems that @Valera1978 is putting his efford in the new Android version and stopped this ROM version. That is why I do appreciate cschsz efford to keep maintaining this version.
Yes, cschsz should proceed to list his new ROM versions in here, so the the users can find the latest security fixes for this ROM. I just do not assume that @Valera1978 has a problem with that. If he has, then let him say that here himself. The same time he could also let us know whether he wants to proceed himselv with this version.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

To me it seems obvious that Valera1978 stoipped developing the new Android version 8 for these tablets. Many are thankful that somebody took overs.
I tried to make it clear in my original post that I was HAPPY to see another dev working on the ROM. I also stated the I wasn't criticizing anyone. But there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. Either get the original dev's permission to take over this thread or start a new one. Otherwise dumb people like me don't know where to go to download the latest version.

JoostA

Jan 9, 2015
Houten
Redmi 9C
Well IMHO it is true that Valera1978 is putting all his effort in Lineage 15, and specifically for a tablet I do not own (the LTE version, T-585). However Tank 0412 is putting an effort to get the T850 (the Wifi version I own myself) running and both - although co-operating in a joint effort - have not yet succeeded in getting things going to the full.
For somebody like me, adhering to working bluetooth / camera video etc , it is not yet the time to switch to Lineage 15 / RR 15. I rather prefer to adhering to a ROM that is completely functional and that has its security issues fixed.
In that case you have to stick to this thread (and the resurrection remix (Android N version, by Followmsi). Admittedly: the opening post now *is* referring to a different version than the version built by cschsz. However that could be solved easily and in a way that is better than opening a second thread on something that is essentially the same ROM (as cschsz explained). As Valera1978 and Tank01412 re now dividing their efforts in getting Lineage 15 to work with both the T580 and T585 tablet (which is good), so it would be a good thing too if another developer could try to keep this thread updated. However I think it would require - if it were only for the sake of politeness - the permission of Valera1978. But in that case we would all benefit from it.

Another new thread ion Lineage 14.1 for the T580/T585 is *really* confusing. I am almost losing count on the ROMS we have now already :
- (1) Lineage 14 (for both T580 /585, one thread)
- (2) Lineage 15.1 (two separate threads for T580 / T585).
- (3) We do have the Resurrection Remix, one separate thread for Nougat (working great) and a second thread for Oreo (suffering from the problems Lineage is coping with) .
- (4) The "ultralean Rom" by IAM_TheFlash - that started it all.
- (5) And the last one which is: NexusOS by J0SH1X (which han't seen much of development lately).

So that is why I think is is not a good idea to split up things further.

baerenbisch

Feb 8, 2013
So that is why I think is is not a good idea to split up things further.

I agree to this point of view. Otherwise it has to be secured that there are no changes to the threadstarters work than
adding the new security updates.
Btw, is it really as simple as to compile the "old" devicesources with actual repo to get running rom with actual security fixes ??
:confused:

cschsz

Mar 4, 2018
Ingelheim
Otherwise it has to be secured that there are no changes to the threadstarters work than
adding the new security updates.
I think this is the main problem of all unofficial builds, that you have to trust in a zip-file build by someone. Actually I don't see a solution for this problem, but if someone know how to - I'm open for suggestions. The only way seems to build it by your own or not to use it.

I started compiling LOS for all my daily used devices to get the latest security updates. In all threads I've found, I see that the developers don't build their old sources regularly. The main reason could be that they on the next development. My intention to post the information about a new uploaded build on afh.com was, that maybe some want to get an security update, but can't build the ROM by his own.

Btw, is it really as simple as to compile the "old" devicesources with actual repo to get running rom with actual security fixes ??
I would say for this tablet it's really easy, but for some devices you have to merge from android-base, apply patches, etc ... S3 mini with LOS14 is going to make me :crying:

But all you need is a virtual machine with linux and ~120 GB space and - dependent on your hardware - some time to build. I'm running the vms with 4 of my 8 cores (i7-3770k) and with 8 of my 16 GB ram. The first build took about 2 hours, the build afterwards about 20min. There are a millions of build guides online. I've also uploaded my personal settings for the vms on github, so I only have to copy and paste for a new machine - if you are interested, have a look https://github.com/cschsz/lineageos_vm

REAL6

Sep 9, 2010
Copenhagen
I found out the problem. I had to use (20171202) and another Gapps and it worked...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone else have the problem of it stalling/being stuck when you try and install LineageOS? It just stays stuck in TWRP like its loading. It's been an hour now. I've tried two other times. Even changed the Gapps to no avail.

Last edited:

baerenbisch

Feb 8, 2013
But all you need is a virtual machine with linux and ~120 GB space and - dependent on your hardware - some time to build. I'm running the vms with 4 of my 8 cores (i7-3770k) and with 8 of my 16 GB ram. The first build took about 2 hours, the build afterwards about 20min. There are a millions of build guides online. I've also uploaded my personal settings for the vms on github, so I only have to copy and paste for a new machine - if you are interested, have a look https://github.com/cschsz/lineageos_vm

Thanx! Very interesting. I will make a try in the future.

cschsz

Mar 4, 2018
Ingelheim
To the developers and security experts:

I always only thought about the monthly security patches - but what about the unfixed kernel vulnerabilities? I think @Valera1978 has copied the 3.18.14 kernel at one point. On cvedetails.com I can see this kernel has theoretical 55 vulnerabilities (https://goo.gl/6EY9sa).

So I have looked up all the CVE and in my opinion 12 of them could have an impact. 9 of them are able to get cherry-picked, 3 have to been merge manually. I forked android_kernel_samsung_exynos7870 and added these 12 patches to see if it would work. The compare can be looked up here: https://github.com/Valera1978/andro...70/compare/cm-14.1_perm...cschsz:cm-14.1_perm

What do you think about it - is this too exaggerated or is this right? Are some patches unnecessary or have I missed some?

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013
To the developers and security experts:

I always only thought about the monthly security patches - but what about the unfixed kernel vulnerabilities? I think @Valera1978 has copied the 3.18.14 kernel at one point. On cvedetails.com I can see this kernel has theoretical 55 vulnerabilities (https://goo.gl/6EY9sa).

So I have looked up all the CVE and in my opinion 12 of them could have an impact. 9 of them are able to get cherry-picked, 3 have to been merge manually. I forked android_kernel_samsung_exynos7870 and added these 12 patches to see if it would work. The compare can be looked up here: https://github.com/Valera1978/andro...70/compare/cm-14.1_perm...cschsz:cm-14.1_perm

What do you think about it - is this too exaggerated or is this right? Are some patches unnecessary or have I missed some?
Well done.. Will use the patches for RR as well.

Did you build and test the kernel with all your changes..all OK?
WiFi module still loading? :)

Cheers

EDIT:
Made a quick Nougat and Oreo test kernel .. build error.

Need to revert .. https://github.com/cschsz/android_k...mmit/97ff3d0be6a11d36a7b66b803c10e85467494472
Now it's comiling fine ..

Thanks again for your work !

Last edited:
Reactions: cschsz

cschsz

Mar 4, 2018
Ingelheim
Well done.. Will use the patches for RR as well.
I thought we all first discuss this approach before we use any of it ;) As the actual goal I would set up pullup requests for the original sources.

Did you build and test the kernel with all your changes..all OK?
WiFi module still loading? :)
Like you I got an build error with this commit https://github.com/cschsz/android_k...mmit/97ff3d0be6a11d36a7b66b803c10e85467494472.
Without this commit it compiled and I flashed it over my last build from 2018-03-14. At the first look all seems working. No idea how to get this CVE working...

Edit:
rebased and force pushed without this commit

Last edited:

followmsi

Oct 10, 2013
I thought we all first discuss this approach before we use any of it ;) As the actual goal I would set up pullup requests for the original sources.

Don't make it too complicated.. :)

We just pull from you.. There are not much Rom developer anyway..

I believe Valera is happy that you take over the monthly cm-14.1 builds.
Just continue your work and the Tab A community will be happy too.

Cheers

cal002

Jun 6, 2016

FWIW there is https://cve.lineageos.org/ showing CVE status for devices officially supported by LineageOS.

Reactions: cschsz

cschsz

Mar 4, 2018
Ingelheim
We just pull from you.. There are not much Rom developer anyway..
I think the problem is, that nobody will see the link to the forked repository, because it is not in the first post. And the most people won't read every single post. We will see if @Valera1978 accept the pullup-request...

I believe Valera is happy that you take over the monthly cm-14.1 builds.
Just continue your work and the Tab A community will be happy too.
I would like to know what @Valera1978 is thinking, but he never told us his opinion ;)
And the community here is split - some are happy about the updates and the others want only builds from @Valera1978 in post #1 which I can not provide...

Top Liked Posts