[ROM] SM-T820 TWEAKED....................[rom] sm-t820 tweaked

Search This thread

Breathh

Oct 15, 2013
I bought my daughter a used SM-T820 and was unhappy with the performance with the latest firmware so I embarked on a 6-hour journey to get this debloated ROM to work. Through many trials and tribulations, I finally got it all done and working so I thought I would come back here and save the next person some pain. Here are the steps I followed to install this ROM, paying specific attention to steps 13A/B and 19A/B:

* NOTE: Formatting Data WILL wipe everything [including the internal storage]. So remember to make proper backups!

(1.) Enter Download Mode (Hold Power+Vol.Down+Home)
(2.) Flash BL, AP and CSC from stock ROM of choice with Odin v3.14.1_PatcheD
(3.) Go through startup configuration, skip everything
(4.) Turn on WiFi and connect, then go to System Update and click "Download and Install". You may need to do this multiple times if it fails, eventually it will succeed. Don't update or anything, just go back to settings.
(5.) Set time from automatic to manual then set date back more than 7 days prior.
(6.) Activate Developer Mode. Developer options should show OEM Unlocking option. Be sure to confirm it is showing and allowed.
(7.) Turn on USB debugging, allow PC to connect, accept the connection (check always allow)
(8.) Put tablet into Download Mode again
(9.) Flash TWRP with Odin (AP slot) but make sure Auto-Reboot is unchecked.
(10.) Restart with Power+Vol.Down+Home but quickly switch to Power+Vol.Up+Home to go right into TWRP
(11.) Allow Modifications
(12.) Click Wipe -> Format Data, type yes and let it complete
(13A.) Install Magisk and then oreo encryption disabler (for Oreo)
(13B.) Install Magisk, then RMM V3 bypass and then Dmverity & Encryption Patch (for Pie and newer)
(14.) Restart system and let it boot (may take a while)
(15.) Skip through all the startup stuff, set time to manual and set back a month or more
(16.) Turn on WiFi and connect, then go to System Update and click "Download and Install". You may need to do this multiple times if it fails. Eventually it will succeed.
(17.) Developer options should again show OEM Unlocking option. Confirm then turn on USB Debugging and allow connection.
(18.) Reboot into TWRP and Format Data again
(19A.) Install the ROM (Magisk is already included, no need to install again) then oreo encryption disabler (for Oreo)
(19B.) Install the ROM (Magisk is already included, no need to install again), then RMM V3 bypass and then Dmverity & Encryption Patch (for Pie and newer)
(20.) Wipe Dalvik and cache then reboot, no need to confirm OEM unlocking or turn on developer apps again (unless you want them)

Very helpful thread, though some steps were confusing: https://xdaforums.com/t/newbie-friendly-twrp-and-root-for-samsung-s3-tablet.3885114/
Best Samsung firmware site, no slow download b.s.: https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-T820/

12/23/2020 - Original Version
1/25/2021 - Update with corrections from forum feedback

Thanks to @NullCode, @BenG7 and of course @rorymc928 for creating the ROM!
Hi guys,

where can I find RMM V3 bypass and then Dmverity & Encryption Patch (for Pie and newer? Many thanks!

seanbaggey

Dec 3, 2020
Does anyone know how to override the dumb Samsung power menu and instead get an advanced power menu to pop up (reboot to recovery/bootloader) when holding the power button??

No matter what app or mod I install, including the ones that require root, I cannot replace that stupid Samsung restart menu that consists of two buttons - power off, restart.

LedgendaryEpics

Jun 14, 2018
Rom is lighting fast, a little jittery battery life is fantastic, chrome is just abysmal and absolutely dog scat. All in all not bad. Qemu.hwkeys=0 doesn't work though...

Reactions: rorymc928

CAL7

Jun 1, 2010
I've been out of the game for a couple of years, so please excuse my ignorance. I rooted my S3T/T820 several years ago with SuperSU (never have used Magisk) and it's still on Nougat. I'd like to wipe it clean and do a fresh upgrade to this ROM.

Can I just flash the ROM from TWRP? Or do I need to re-familiarize myself with Odin and begin at that step?

Since this ROM has Magisk built-in, will flashing the ROM overwrite (i.e. disable SuperSU) and make Magisk my rooting scheme?

Thanks in advance for bringing me up-to-speed!

P.S. If it matters, current TWRP is 3.1.0-1.

Last edited:
I've been out of the game for a couple of years, so please excuse my ignorance. I rooted my S3T/T820 several years ago with SuperSU (never have used Magisk) and it's still on Nougat. I'd like to wipe it clean and do a fresh upgrade to this ROM.

Can I just flash the ROM from TWRP? Or do I need to re-familiarize myself with Odin and begin at that step?

Since this ROM has Magisk built-in, will flashing the ROM overwrite (i.e. disable SuperSU) and make Magisk my rooting scheme?

Just saw your post by accident as I own T825 with this tweaked ROM but procedure would be the same.
Update to TWRP 3.2.1-1.
I recommend a totally clean flash which includes "Format Data".
TWRP is sufficient no need to use Odin.
When wiping SU will be wiped as well so Magisk will take care of root.

BUT as said in #1:
Can be dirty flashed over Tweaked 5.0 (recommended) , or factory reset all will work.
bootloader update, only required if coming from a ROM or firmware prior to either PIE or Tweaked 5. 0
(it will work without, but experience shows the bootloader update is required for the fingerprint reader to function )

Magisk will ask you to update after installation.

samsuffit

Dec 12, 2017
Well.. Is this a soft lock or a soft brick ? "Only official released binaries are allowed to be boot" and when I try to flash TWRP with the bootloader "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed"...

Tried your last custom rom SM-T820_CTD5_TWEAKED_5.1b_DB4_by_rorymc928.zip with the last booloader update BL_T820XXU3CTD5_CL17010817_QB30464690_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

I untar then unlz4 BL...CERT.tar.md5 and flashed with Heimdall
Code:
heimdall flash --APDP apdp.mbn --CMNLIB cmnlib.mbn --CMNLIB64 cmnlib64.mbn --DEVCFG devcfg.mbn --ABOOT emmc_appsboot.mbn --HYP hyp.mbn --KEYMASTER keymaster.mbn --LKSECAPP lksecapp.mbn --MSADP msadp.mbn --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin --PMIC pmic.elf --RPM rpm.mbn --SEC sec.dat --TZ tz.mbn --XBL xbl.elf

I was with Lineage and TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 and everything was OK. Then... I did a full wipe, flashed the CTD5 Tweaked rom and then I soft locked or soft bricked this damned tablet.

I think I know how to do. Flash the full and legit CTD5 stock rom, do the trick with the date and flash TWRP again, wipe everything and go back with Lineage. I'm not sure anymore.

That's right... https://xdaforums.com/t/tab-s3-frp-...ange-oem-unlock-setting.3989773/post-80668717 I know what to do. If it doesn't work I'll tell you.

XolYnrac

Mar 1, 2016
Well.. Is this a soft lock or a soft brick ? "Only official released binaries are allowed to be boot" and when I try to flash TWRP with the bootloader "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed"...

Tried your last custom rom SM-T820_CTD5_TWEAKED_5.1b_DB4_by_rorymc928.zip with the last booloader update BL_T820XXU3CTD5_CL17010817_QB30464690_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

I untar then unlz4 BL...CERT.tar.md5 and flashed with Heimdall
Code:
heimdall flash --APDP apdp.mbn --CMNLIB cmnlib.mbn --CMNLIB64 cmnlib64.mbn --DEVCFG devcfg.mbn --ABOOT emmc_appsboot.mbn --HYP hyp.mbn --KEYMASTER keymaster.mbn --LKSECAPP lksecapp.mbn --MSADP msadp.mbn --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin --PMIC pmic.elf --RPM rpm.mbn --SEC sec.dat --TZ tz.mbn --XBL xbl.elf

I was with Lineage and TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 and everything was OK. Then... I did a full wipe, flashed the CTD5 Tweaked rom and then I soft locked or soft bricked this damned tablet.

I think I know how to do. Flash the full and legit CTD5 stock rom, do the trick with the date and flash TWRP again, wipe everything and go back with Lineage. I'm not sure anymore.

That's right... https://xdaforums.com/t/tab-s3-frp-...ange-oem-unlock-setting.3989773/post-80668717 I know what to do. If it doesn't work I'll tell you.
1) Flash stock rom
2) start stock, enable and conect wifi, enable develop menu, enable "unlock OEM"
3) Flash twrp with Odin (disable auto reboot)
4) Reboot and enter recovery.
5) format and wipe all, flash tweaked rom.
6) restart and start tweaked
7) enable and conect wifi, configure, enable develop menu, enable "unlock OEM".

If you don't do the 7 step, next Reboot You Will have the error that you Say.

Last edited:
Reactions: samsuffit

XolYnrac

Mar 1, 2016
Does anyone know how to override the dumb Samsung power menu and instead get an advanced power menu to pop up (reboot to recovery/bootloader) when holding the power button??

No matter what app or mod I install, including the ones that require root, I cannot replace that stupid Samsung restart menu that consists of two buttons - power off, restart.
Firefds kit. A module of edxposed

XolYnrac

Mar 1, 2016

I recomment You don't move to Pie version because Nougat is more fast than Pie

Last edited:

grvhack

Dec 23, 2012
Does anyone have Kodi working mine is crashing on startup on T820_CTD5_TWEAKED_5.1b_DB4_by_rorymc928.

BenG7

Jun 24, 2009
Hi
2 issues have appeared with this rom :
- When starting Magisk, i now get a message that says "abnormal state - running this app as a systrm app is not supported. Please revert the app to a user app." "OK" is the only option; if i did antything this was unintentional
- Camera won't start (black screen)
Anyone else experienced this / can help?
Thanks

DartGerion

Dec 8, 2018
OnePlus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hi
2 issues have appeared with this rom :
- When starting Magisk, i now get a message that says "abnormal state - running this app as a systrm app is not supported. Please revert the app to a user app." "OK" is the only option; if i did antything this was unintentional
- Camera won't start (black screen)
Anyone else experienced this / can help?
Thanks
Yeah, magisk can't be installed as a system app, that's why the message. To undo it, uninstall magisk via TWRP (there's an instructions online) and reinstall again with 23 version of Magisk (the newest one) and voila, message is gone.
For me camera started showing normally after the galaxy store updated the camera app. After that i just deleted the galaxy store

OneOnline

May 26, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah, magisk can't be installed as a system app, that's why the message. To undo it, uninstall magisk via TWRP (there's an instructions online) and reinstall again with 23 version of Magisk (the newest one) and voila, message is gone.
For me camera started showing normally after the galaxy store updated the camera app. After that i just deleted the galaxy store
Or just remove magisk folder from system/app folder :)
I have one strange thing... in main settings menu I see fake tabs like t-roaming, wifi, bluetooth.. they should be inside networking tab. Same for location, battery,maybe something else. Is there a fix for it? I tried to clean "settings app" storage memory, it didn't help.

Reactions: DartGerion

OneOnline

May 26, 2017
Brooklyn
3. Debloat/Deodex performance and CSC files:

In the beginning I used to get extreme performance issues when deodexing or debloating too much, but seems that was related to lacking CSC data. Fixed the CSC issues (such as messed up menus) by simply extracting and including the files from the cache img.... (Deodexing is also mainly interesting when you wish to modify the files right? Other
That's what I'm talking about, but I don't get it, how to fix this issue?

OneOnline

May 26, 2017
Brooklyn
Looks like I found the problem with fake menu tabs. Between 2nd and 3rd step should be one more "boot to stock recovery (it will install CSC into system folder)". I'll try it tomorrow with method that don't require reflashing everything from the start and losing all data.

OneOnline

May 26, 2017
Brooklyn
I bought my daughter a used SM-T820 and was unhappy with the performance with the latest firmware so I embarked on a 6-hour journey to get this debloated ROM to work. Through many trials and tribulations, I finally got it all done and working so I thought I would come back here and save the next person some pain. Here are the steps I followed to install this ROM, paying specific attention to steps 13A/B and 19A/B:

* NOTE: Formatting Data WILL wipe everything [including the internal storage]. So remember to make proper backups!

(1.) Enter Download Mode (Hold Power+Vol.Down+Home)
(4.) Turn on WiFi and connect, then go to System Update and click "Download and Install". You may need to do this multiple times if it fails, eventually it will succeed. Don't update or anything, just go back to settings.
(5.) Set time from automatic to manual then set date back more than 7 days prior.
(6.) Activate Developer Mode. Developer options should show OEM Unlocking option. Be sure to confirm it is showing and allowed.
(7.) Turn on USB debugging, allow PC to connect, accept the connection (check always allow)
(8.) Put tablet into Download Mode again
(9.) Flash TWRP with Odin (AP slot) but make sure Auto-Reboot is unchecked.
(10.) Restart with Power+Vol.Down+Home but quickly switch to Power+Vol.Up+Home to go right into TWRP
(11.) Allow Modifications
(12.) Click Wipe -> Format Data, type yes and let it complete
(13A.) Install Magisk and then oreo encryption disabler (for Oreo)
(13B.) Install Magisk, then RMM V3 bypass and then Dmverity & Encryption Patch (for Pie and newer)
(14.) Restart system and let it boot (may take a while)
(15.) Skip through all the startup stuff, set time to manual and set back a month or more
(16.) Turn on WiFi and connect, then go to System Update and click "Download and Install". You may need to do this multiple times if it fails. Eventually it will succeed.
(17.) Developer options should again show OEM Unlocking option. Confirm then turn on USB Debugging and allow connection.
(18.) Reboot into TWRP and Format Data again
(19A.) Install the ROM (Magisk is already included, no need to install again) then oreo encryption disabler (for Oreo)
(19B.) Install the ROM (Magisk is already included, no need to install again), then RMM V3 bypass and then Dmverity & Encryption Patch (for Pie and newer)
(20.) Wipe Dalvik and cache then reboot, no need to confirm OEM unlocking or turn on developer apps again (unless you want them)

Very helpful thread, though some steps were confusing: https://xdaforums.com/t/newbie-friendly-twrp-and-root-for-samsung-s3-tablet.3885114/
Best Samsung firmware site, no slow download b.s.: https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-T820/

12/23/2020 - Original Version
1/25/2021 - Update with corrections from forum feedback

Thanks to @NullCode, @BenG7 and of course @rorymc928 for creating the ROM!

So, an addition to this excellent instruction:

Don't install RMM V3 bypass, it breaks menu items and maybe something else. As far as I understand, this is only needed for owners of LTE devices. You may ask if it is possible to fix this problem in THIS thread.

Latest TWRP - TWRP 3.5.2_9.0 for Galaxy Tab S3
Latest GPU drivers for 9.0 Pie - Adreno 500 Series OpenGL & Vulkan Drivers (download [R]TeamDrivers_OpenGL-Vulkan_SD820-SD821_v4.2.zip for Android P/Q (opengl=474.0, vulkan=1.1.128) and install via TWRP) - Tested on T820, working!
Latest DM-Verity - Universal DM-Verity, ForceEncrypt, Disk Quota Disabler
Latest Magisk V23.0 - Github (Download Magisk-v23.0.apk, rename it to Magisk-v23.0.zip and install via TWRP. Then remove Magisk Manager.ver.7.5.1.build.267 folder from system/app using any root explorer)

About bugged menu:
I found out that it is RMM V3 bypass that breaks the menu, or rather, some changes in the files:
ui_print "- Applying Bypass/Fix..."
sed -i 's/vaultkeeper\.feature\=1/vaultkeeper\.feature\=0/' /system/build.prop 2>/dev/null
sed -i 's/vaultkeeper\.feature\=1/vaultkeeper\.feature\=0/' /vendor/build.prop 2>/dev/null
sed -i 's/vaultkeeper\.feature\=1/vaultkeeper\.feature\=0/' /system/vendor/build.prop 2>/dev/null
rm -rf /system/lib*/libvk* 2>/dev/null
rm -rf /system/vendor/lib*/libvk* 2>/dev/null
rm -rf /vendor/lib*/libvk* 2>/dev/null
rm -rf /system/priv-app/Rlc 2>/dev/null
rm -rf /system/priv-app/KnoxGuard 2>/dev/null

As stated HERE, installing the firmware via Odin does not install the correct CSC (if we skip booting into stock recovery), which ultimately breaks the settings menu and possibly something else.
The problem was not with CSC as we successfully installed it in step 2 (without skipping stock recovery).
For those who have already installed the firmware, fixing this will be more difficult, but still possible.
It looks like it only works for Oreo... Nevertheless, this instruction may help someone.
HOW TO UNPACK .LZ4 .EXT4 .IMG SEC_CSC.ZIP

1) Download THIS and THIS for windows (for linux google how to unpack *.img.ext4.lz4)
2) Rename HOME_CSC_XAR....tar.md5 to csc.tar and extract the cache.img.ext4.lz4 file with any archiver (7zip, winrar etc)
3) Drag the file cache.img.ext4.lz4 over lz4.exe, the unpacked file cache.img.ext4 will appear on the desktop
4) Drag the cache.img.ext4 file over ImgExtractor.exe, the "cache.img_" folder will appear next to it, we need the recovery/sec_csc.zip file
5) Transfer this file to Tab and boot into TWRP
6) Go to the Settings menu and uncheck Unmount System before installing a ZIP
7) Go to the Mount menu and check System
8) Go to the Install menu and select sec_csc.zip. After installation, most likely you need to clear the Dalvik cache

Last edited:

BenG7

Jun 24, 2009
Hi @DartGerion
hmmm, thanks but I did just that, following the method here:

Uninstall Magisk Using TWRP Uninstall Recovery

and my s3 will not boot anymore (bootloop)...
will try to reflash the rom...

[EDIT] and still boot looping after reflashing the rom...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts