[ROM][SNOWCONE][mata][12] StatiXOS v5.0

Search This thread

malerocks

Mar 6, 2018
Been using this rom for a while, excellent job!

However, I'm not sure whether it's the rom's bug but I'm having some problem. Every time I plug the charging cable, it won't charge. In Settings > Battery it shows "connected, not charging". A restart with the phone plugged in will temporarily solve it until the next charge. I tested with multiple combination of cables and chargers but had no luck.
I used to have it occasionally on the official ROM as well. Typically used to happen if during the previous charge, I didn't let the phone fully charge before removing the cable.

mhamzas

Feb 18, 2013
Karachi
Getting the error:

> fastboot -w
wiping userdata...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type not supported.
erasing 'userdata'...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.002s
> fastboot format:f2fs userdata

Getting the error:

> fastboot -w
wiping userdata...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type not supported.
erasing 'userdata'...
finished. total time: 0.002s
> fastboot format:f2fs userdata
I had the same issue. I did a factory reset from recovery, back to the bootloader and then format f2fs CMD worked for me.

malerocks

Mar 6, 2018
Does anyone have the last 2 updates that Essential released i.e. Jan 2020 and Feb 2020. Planning to try this rom and comments show some people preferring flashing over Jan and some over Feb. Sorry for asking here but I never saved them. Would be handy to have both to experiment and to roll back if I mess something up.

Thanks!

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
Does anyone have the last 2 updates that Essential released i.e. Jan 2020 and Feb 2020. Planning to try this rom and comments show some people preferring flashing over Jan and some over Feb. Sorry for asking here but I never saved them. Would be handy to have both to experiment and to roll back if I mess something up.

Thanks!
You can get them from here....

Reactions: malerocks

r0b2

Jan 3, 2019
Hi all, okay I have PH1-Images-QQ1A.200105.032 installed, but I can't figure out how to install statix_mata-special-20211127.

I am on windows, I am in the bootloader, I use cmd to:

fastboot -w
fastboot update statix_mata-special-20211127.zip

and get:

C:\Users\*****\Desktop\essential images>fastboot update statix_mata-special-20211127.zip
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'boot_other.img'
archive does not contain 'recovery.img'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'system_other.img'
archive does not contain 'vendor.sig'
archive does not contain 'vendor_other.img'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: mata-b9326aa
Baseband Version.....: 2.0.c4-M2.0.10
Serial Number........: *********************
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.003s]
sending 'boot_a' (30325 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.794s]
writing 'boot_a'...
OKAY [ 0.182s]
erasing 'system_a'...
OKAY [ 0.033s]
sending sparse 'system_a' 1/7 (517660 KB)...
OKAY [ 12.537s]
writing 'system_a' 1/7...
FAILED (remote: Flash Write Failure)
finished. total time: 21.048s

:(

Assistance?

Thank you. I think I have read everything about how to do this, and am just not getting it to work.

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
Hi all, okay I have PH1-Images-QQ1A.200105.032 installed, but I can't figure out how to install statix_mata-special-20211127.

I am on windows, I am in the bootloader, I use cmd to:

fastboot -w
fastboot update statix_mata-special-20211127.zip

and get:

C:\Users\*****\Desktop\essential images>fastboot update statix_mata-special-20211127.zip
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'boot_other.img'
archive does not contain 'recovery.img'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'system_other.img'
archive does not contain 'vendor.sig'
archive does not contain 'vendor_other.img'
Bootloader Version...: mata-b9326aa
Baseband Version.....: 2.0.c4-M2.0.10
Serial Number........: *********************
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.003s]
sending 'boot_a' (30325 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.794s]
writing 'boot_a'...
OKAY [ 0.182s]
erasing 'system_a'...
OKAY [ 0.033s]
sending sparse 'system_a' 1/7 (517660 KB)...
OKAY [ 12.537s]
writing 'system_a' 1/7...
FAILED (remote: Flash Write Failure)
finished. total time: 21.048s

:(

Assistance?

Thank you. I think I have read everything about how to do this, and am just not getting it to work.
Did you try the SNOWCONE-20211220 version?

mcp007

Jan 16, 2022
Noob question, Do I need to run the fastboot -w and fastboot format:f2fs userdata every time I do the update?
I have the statix_mata-SNOWCONE-20211220.zip image running which seems to be running fine except the wifi is very slow (getting only 15-20Mbps on 1Gbps Wifi6 router) but I can live with it.

Last edited:

Codster314

Nov 5, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Been using this rom for a while, excellent job!

However, I'm not sure whether it's the rom's bug but I'm having some problem. Every time I plug the charging cable, it won't charge. In Settings > Battery it shows "connected, not charging". A restart with the phone plugged in will temporarily solve it until the next charge. I tested with multiple combination of cables and chargers but had no luck.
I love the ROM. I upgraded my phone and gave my mom this phone with this ROM on it. Not many problems so far, but there are a couple... The charging is the most annoying.

1) Won't charge happens to her as well. Never happened to me on stock. But after a day or so, it won't charge from the charging cable, until you reboot the phone then it works. Happens every 2 days'ish.

2) Notification LED? Are they working, she says she doesn't get a light for SMS, Gmail, and Signal msg... But maybe they aren't enabled, I'll have to check out next time I am over there.

3) Sometimes she will get a call, and unlock the phone, but the "answer" call popup will not be there. Opening phone app (Google Phone App), and it just shows recent calls, and still no way to answer. However I haven't seen it yet, and when she tells me, I call her and she can answer it fine then (phone is usually awake and unlocked).

Other than those 3 bugs, ROM has been very stable for her. I've been impressed. Thanks for maintaining this!

locky8353

Oct 23, 2017
I love the ROM. I upgraded my phone and gave my mom this phone with this ROM on it. Not many problems so far, but there are a couple... The charging is the most annoying.

1) Won't charge happens to her as well. Never happened to me on stock. But after a day or so, it won't charge from the charging cable, until you reboot the phone then it works. Happens every 2 days'ish.

2) Notification LED? Are they working, she says she doesn't get a light for SMS, Gmail, and Signal msg... But maybe they aren't enabled, I'll have to check out next time I am over there.

3) Sometimes she will get a call, and unlock the phone, but the "answer" call popup will not be there. Opening phone app (Google Phone App), and it just shows recent calls, and still no way to answer. However I haven't seen it yet, and when she tells me, I call her and she can answer it fine then (phone is usually awake and unlocked).

Other than those 3 bugs, ROM has been very stable for her. I've been impressed. Thanks for maintaining this!
The charging problem seems to appear more often to me, nearly everyday. Currently I haven't found any solution (including the battery charging limit app someone mentioned).
The LED notification light doesn't seem to work on my device as well, but compared to the charging bug it's a minor issue.
The phone call bug does not seem to happen on my device. I don't know whether because it's random and I don't get called often or not.
Anyway, just hope the developer can keep maintaining and improving this ROM.

robsonline

Aug 29, 2007
The charging problem seems to appear more often to me, nearly everyday. Currently I haven't found any solution (including the battery charging limit app someone mentioned).
The LED notification light doesn't seem to work on my device as well, but compared to the charging bug it's a minor issue.
The phone call bug does not seem to happen on my device. I don't know whether because it's random and I don't get called often or not.
Anyway, just hope the developer can keep maintaining and improving this ROM.
TL;DR: Has anyone tried the Magisk Model Advanced Charging Controller (ACC) successfully with this version?

I want to try this update; however, I use the Magisk Module Advanced Charging Controller (ACC) to limit the charge to 80%. I had to go back to a June release StatixOS (I think) due to some incompatibilities with ACC and StatixOS (or most likely AOSP). I love StatixOS; however, I am still using the OEM battery, and in large part because I only charged it to 80% (Accubattery still shows it at 89% after nearly 5 years). I know I should go ahead and swap it out as I still use my Essential Phone daily, but the battery still works good. I have used the Charge Limit app in the past as well, but I prefer ACC. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Essential Phone
LG G8
Just a note about the stock build you want to start from... You have the latest Feb 2020 update which is known to have problems. Install the previous Jan 2020 update (QQ1A.200105.007) instead. I am not positive it will resolve your issue, but it will give you a good clean start. This was also a recommendation for A11 Statix installs.

locky8353

Oct 23, 2017
TL;DR: Has anyone tried the Magisk Model Advanced Charging Controller (ACC) successfully with this version?

I want to try this update; however, I use the Magisk Module Advanced Charging Controller (ACC) to limit the charge to 80%. I had to go back to a June release StatixOS (I think) due to some incompatibilities with ACC and StatixOS (or most likely AOSP). I love StatixOS; however, I am still using the OEM battery, and in large part because I only charged it to 80% (Accubattery still shows it at 89% after nearly 5 years). I know I should go ahead and swap it out as I still use my Essential Phone daily, but the battery still works good. I have used the Charge Limit app in the past as well, but I prefer ACC. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rob
I installed ACC with both the magisk module and the front end app. It looks like it's working as expected. It limits the maximum capacity while charging, but it does not solve the battery "not charging" problem. I still need to reboot after plugging in for the battery to actually be charged.

robsonline

Aug 29, 2007
I installed ACC with both the magisk module and the front end app. It looks like it's working as expected. It limits the maximum capacity while charging, but it does not solve the battery "not charging" problem. I still need to reboot after plugging in for the battery to actually be charged.
Thanks for the update! I may stick with the version I am on until the charging issue is fixed, but I will keep monitoring the thread as I would defiantly like to move to Android 12.

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Essential Phone
LG G8
OK, I took the plunge and installed the December build (changed the slot before installing to preserve the previous OS just in case). Installation was a snap, following the steps. No issues at all. So far, very nice and silky smooth ROM. Didn't have a chance to test extensively, but haven't found any issues yet. Essential 360 camera works, which is great. Haven't seen the charging issue a couple of other ppl reported. ACC Magisk module works properly.

Very excited to see A12 on my PH-1! Huge thanks and shout out to the Dev team! 👍🤝👏 Looking forward to future updates.

Update: found an issue with the latest Google Photos update - trying to edit a photo, I am getting a spinning wheel that never goes away until swiping back. So, the Edit function is not accessible at all. The version of Google Photos included with the build (5.48.0.381899534) doesn't have that issue - after uninstalling the update from Play Store the editing works perfectly. The same latest app update on A11 doesn't have this issue.

Update 2: found another issue with one of the "privacy indicators" (green activity dots). The Location indicator sometimes gets stuck for no good reason, even when the location service is turned off completely. Trying to tap on it does nothing. After some time it just goes away on its own. I couldn't quite figure out a pattern to it - seems to activate after reboot, then goes away, and sporadically turns on and off from time to time. On the other hand, the "Access Dots" app with the same functionality works correctly and only shows the actual activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: robsonline

Darkside1984

Aug 28, 2014
Madrid
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Hi!

I've just installed this ROM with the procedure of this thread (flash stock ROM, format and change filesystem, flash ROM, root with magisk canary) and I 'm having a weird bug. When I connect any headset (wired or bluetooth) the screen goes black, as if the system process failed suddenly. Any suggestion?

xxKONAxx

Feb 27, 2011
Chicago
www.konaskorner.com
Screenshot 2022-01-22 180756.png

Can anyone help me here? Not sure why i am getting the "android-info.txt" error

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Essential Phone
LG G8
Can anyone help me here? Not sure why i am getting the "android-info.txt" error
First thing that comes to mind: are you sure your "rom.zip" archive is in the c:\adb folder? If not, then you need to either put it there, or type the full path to the file, or run the fastboot command from the actual location of your zip. You can also try to rename the file to "update.zip" and simply run "fastboot update" (without the filename) - that's what I did.

I also strongly suggest using fastboot and adb binaries that come bundled with the Essential driver. Looks like you are using some other adb package (Minimal ADB or whatever?). I had several problems with other adb/fastboot versions in the past, but never with the Essential version...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

stx-2021.png

StatiXOS for Essential PH-1 (mata)

What is StatiXOS?

StatiXOS is a custom ROM based on the Android Open Source Project aiming to be minimal while providing quality of life improvements and up to date security patches.

Some minor Launcher bugs (thanks AOSP)
    SElinux Permissive

1. Download the image
    2. Reboot your Essential Phone to bootloader and plug it in to your computer
    3. Now open up your Terminal (macOS and Linux) or Command Prompt (Windows) and download the firmware from the links below.
    4. Once downloaded, type in fastboot -w to make sure your /data is formatted
    5. Now type in fastboot update <location of the firmware>, things will be automated from this point on.
    6. Profit!

Note: Please keep in mind that this is an beta release and is being actively worked on. Updates would arrive as things are fixed so please be patient and if you report a bug, please be sure to explain what caused it and a logcat.

Note: MAGISK NOT SUPPORTED. Fixed B-)

Prerequisite firmware: Latest stock Android 10
    Android version: 12.0.0
    Linux Kernel Version: 4.4.205
    Source code: GitHub
    Code Review: Gerrit
    As promised here: The StatiXOS build for mata with all the Pixel goodies is here! This build is a proof-of-concept build which demonstrates how optimized software (and basically 5 year old flagship hardware) can keep a phone going long after a manufacturer (Essential in this case) abandons them.

This build contains most if not all the latest and greatest Pixel features that you would come to expect from say a Pixel 5. A lot of optimizations I made to the kernel over the months has led you all to this smooth experience and I hope you all like it! Cheers :)

Download: Nope.

You would need a full wipe to boot this up and have things work correctly so make sure you backup your device.

P.S. I apologize for the late release. Had uni finals to deal with 😁
    Oh and by the way, December SPL with Pixel feature drop build is now up and is compatible with Magisk!

Note: I highly recommend you switch to F2FS; support for which has been included in this build. To migrate userdata to F2FS, simply type the following in a shell prompt:

Code:
    fastboot format:f2fs userdata

Download: https://downloads.statixos.com/12-SNOWCONE/mata/fastbootimages/statix_mata-SNOWCONE-20211220.zip
    I love this ROM and am very appreciative of the work you've done to keep my favorite phone off all time going. Magisk compatibility would be a nice addition. And maybe a pixel launcher version that allows the 2X2 grid pattern and super large icon folders on the desktop. Old people approved. Good work.
    Magisk request fulfilled. Builds soon :D
    i'm on bliss rom android 10 custom rom. what is the whole process include magisk to switch and install this rom?how do i know about F2FS?
    I basically followed "How to Flash" instructions at OP, but before I started the upgrade process I patched the boot image from the 2021-12-20 build with Magisk and then I created a new StatiXOS zip with it. This way, the installation of the ROM gave me root access since first boot.

In order to switch to F2FS, I just used the fastboot command posted here, right after the fastboot -w command at "How to Flash".