[ROM][SP:r35] LineageOS 17.1 for MicroG - Unofficial [last update: 20/05/2020]

Search This thread

vince31fr

Dec 18, 2016
Toulouse
*** Please read this : https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82949289&postcount=212 ***

I maintain for my own use an unofficial build of LineageOS for MicroG, that I decided to share here.
What's included:
  • GmsCore, GsfProxy, FakeStore, maps API (MicroG core apps)
  • F-Droid Privileged Extension and FDroid
  • Aurora Store
  • Etar-Calendar instead of los Calendar (completely useless with MicroG).
  • QKSMS instead of los SMS app
  • Pdf Viewer Plus
  • Several NLP backends for MicroG : DejaVuNLPBackend, MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, NominatimNLPBackend
  • Magic Earth GPS & Navigation: the only exception to my open-source policy for preinstalled apps
  • Carnet (notes app, can sync with NextCloud)
  • Several new search engines in Lineage's browser (Ecosia, Qwant, Searx, Startpage)
I also kanged some features from other ROMs that I really miss in los:
  • Smart charging (disables charging when a given level is reached)
  • Fingerprint vibration toggle
  • Swipe down to clear all in recent apps
I used @Cozzmy13 device tree and kernel, all credits go to him (and to all los contributors, of course):
Downloads:
  • 20/05/2020 build:
    • Many improvements in the device tree : see here. Among the most prominent ones are double tap to wake (DT2W), and fixes for ANX camera.
    • True black theme (can be enabled in theme picker when dark mode is toggled, by setting the 'primary color'). Not yet in official lineage sources, but submitted to lineage by Cosmin.
    • More de-googling : default DNS have been changed to quad9's 'unblocked' servers.
  • 16/05/2020 build:
    • Synced latest lineage sources (security patch 35)
    • Synced device tree, some improvements under the hood
    • Kanged a new feature from other custom roms: swipe down to clear all in recent apps. It must be enabled in the launcher settings
    • Updated apps to their latest versions, and in particular Aurora Store which fixes many problems due to changes in play API
    • Fought a bit more against data leak to google: completely removed all references to google's captive portal that were still remaining, and changed default option for phone number lookup from google to OpenStreetMap.
  • 27/04/2020 build:
    • Merged latest DT improvements, see here: wfi hotspot, IR, FOD...
    • Synced latest Lineage sources, up to security patch r33.
    • MicroG: enabled GCM registration by default, as well as DéjàVu NLP provider and Nominatim Geocoder. The goal is to make google-free beginner's life easier: there's now no need for an initial setup of microG. Advanced users can of course change this default behavior.
  • 09/04/2020 build:
    • Merged latest DT improvements (see here and here). Most notably, NFC support added, FOD improvements, battery savings in AOD.
    • Synced latest Lineage sources.
  • 25/03/2020 build:
    • Hopefully, camera and video playback issues are solved.
  • 23/03/2020 build:
    • Synchronized to latest Lineage sources and device tree.
    • Camera problem solved thanks to latest additions to dt.
  • 09/03/2020 build:
    • Synchronized to latest Lineage sources, including March security update (r31).
    • Synchronized to latest device tree and kernel. Many improvements, including one very important: Selinux is now enforced.
    • Removed DuckduckGo, and re-added Jelly (Lineageos' browser). I added plenty of search engines: Ecosia, Qwant, Qwant Lite (default on fresh install), several Searx instances among the ones that are regularly on top at searx.space (searx.info, searx.xyz, search.galactica.cat), and Startpage. I also added Qwant as suggestion provider.
    • Removed Aurora Services: useless when Aurora Store is installed as system app.
    • Replaced AOSP keyboard by OpenBoard from F-Droid.
    • Added Carnet from F-Droid, a notes app which can synchronize with a NextCloud account.
  • 04/02/2020 build:
    • Updated a few apps to their latest FDroid version (Etar, QKSMS)
    • Merged latest lineage tree (this is done at each release...). Among other things, localization (language translations) has been a lot improved
    • Prepared the rom for OTA releases. Next updates will be proposed by the lineage updater (can be opened in Settings -> System -> Updater). By default, the presence of new versions is checked once a week (this can be modified), and a notification should be thrown. I'll carefully check each release, but maybe in some cases, your device won't boot and only a data wipe or flashing a previous build could recover it... But this is the same for manually downloaded updates... Use at your own risk! For information, downloaded OTA files are stored in /data/lineageos_updates, but downloaded builds can be deleted through the updater app.
  • 24/01/2020 build: A clean flash is mandatory. You've been warned! Backup your phone before flashing...
    • Replaced stock SMS app by QKSMS
    • Replaced stock browser by DuckDuckGo
    • Preinstalled FDroid and MicroG FDroid repo
    • Preinstalled Aurora Store
    • Preinstalled NLP backends: DejaVuNLPBackend, MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, NominatimNLPBackend
    • Preinstalled Pdf Viewer Plus
    The APKs of all these apps come from FDroid and can thus be updated by FDroid.
    What has also been done:
    • Reworked the launcher home screen: clock widget, desktop icons...
    • Preinstalled Magic Earth GPS navigation app. Although not free software, it has a strict privacy-friendly policy, and I am not aware of any alternative open-source GPS navigation app providing traffic information.
    • Fixed NLP backends random deconnecting, by a quick and dirty hack, in the hope a better solution to be eventually found.
    • Replaced supl.google.com by supl.vodafone.com for A-GPS. something went wrong with that, it will be for the next release
    • Replaced connectivity check for captive portal login (default is connectivitycheck.gstatic.com) by http://captiveportal.kuketz.de.
    I will pursue, step by step, the ungoogling of that rom. Any clue or advice in that goal will be appreciated. My next step for a future release will be to replace default google DNS 8.8.8.8 by something else, maybe by Quad9 DNS.
  • 16/01/2020 build: Clock FC fixed
  • 14/01/2020 build: Initial build with minimal preinstalled apps. Added many ones in next builds.
Bugs:

Last edited:

P3RCII

Jan 14, 2020
HELP

I don´t understand what I am doing wrong
Bootloader unlocked.
TWRP installed
Wiped Data, Cache and
Installed zip
And then I get a bootloop.

Not only this rom. I cant install any rom
Only reset to miui version thanks MiFlash tool.

Can you help me?

vince31fr

Dec 18, 2016
Toulouse
Bootloader unlocked.
TWRP installed
Wiped Data, Cache and
Installed zip

Can you help me?
It ils probably due to encryption. You must format data, not just wipe: in twrp, go to wipe, select format data, answer yes. Beware: you will loose *everything* on your phone. Do that after flashing a ROM..

BigsyBiggins

Dec 15, 2009
Dodgy bluetooth and no NFC seems to be a common issue on current roms, are they working here (like latest PE)?

Any experience with Fingerprint Sensors? During the initial setup wizard, I was able to add three fingers with no issue at all. But now, i can never unlock my device with my fingerprint. It fails every time.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Any experience with Fingerprint Sensors? During the initial setup wizard, I was able to add three fingers with no issue at all. But now, i can never unlock my device with my fingerprint. It fails every time.

Thanks!

Update: I was also able to go into the Security settings and add a fourth fingerprint just now. It seems it's just the not working when trying to use a fingerprint to unlock the device or authorize other applications that use the fingerprint lock.

P3RCII

Jan 14, 2020
First he does is "E: Unable to decrypt FBE device"
What does that mean?

I tried it before and after installing zip but both times I get into a bootloop.

Last edited:
First he does is "E: Unable to decrypt FBE device"
What does that mean?

I tried it before and after installing zip but both times I get into a bootloop.

One thing I learned the hard way after fighting another LineageOS ROM install...
AFTER you flash the LineageOS with TWRP and BEFORE you reboot the device, in TWRP go to "Wipe" then click the Format Data button on the bottom-right and when prompted type "yes" to confirm.

This WILL wipe your internal storage as well.

Try that and see if it boots for you.

P3RCII

Jan 14, 2020
https:// postimg.cc/gallery/2zi1jhlky
pictures

1.Unlocked
2.TWRP
3.Factory Reset
4.Zip installed
5. Data Format
6. Reboot/Bootloop

I can´t explain why this happens.:confused:

Ok, I've been using this ROM for about half a day now. So far it is really snappy and light-feeling. I'm guessing all that Google "bloat" slows us down more than we would ever realize.

So far, the only issues I've come across:
FPS - The Fingerprint sensor will let you enroll new prints all day long. But when trying to unlock the device, I'm lucky if it works once out of 10 tries. More often, it give me the "Too many failures. Try again later" message and I have to revert to entering my PIN.
Clock App - Launches Fine, but when trying to enable an Alarm or Modify an Alarm, it FC's every single time. I'm trying out a Third-party Clock App now as a workaround
Tap to Wake feather is not working whether the Always On display is enabled or not. Once you "Wake" the device with the power button, Tap to Sleep does work. But I cannot get Tap to Wake to work at all.

All in all, good stuff! The few issues above, especially the Fingerprint Sensor, may be the only things keeping me from running this as my daily driver.

I was running a slightly older LineageOS with GApps prior to this, and the Fingerprint sensor worked just fine. So it may be that Google Services tie into the Fingerprint/Security frameworks, causing the issues I'm seeing on this Google-free build.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

https:// postimg.cc/gallery/2zi1jhlky
pictures

1.Unlocked
2.TWRP
3.Factory Reset
4.Zip installed
5. Data Format
6. Reboot/Bootloop

Just to be clear, you are FORMATTING Data, not WIPING Data, correct?

toscha42

Nov 13, 2011
Jerez de la Frontera
Probably your underlying Miui version is too old. Current AOSP builds need 11.06.0 minimum. I assume it's the same for MicroG.

Cheers
Toscha

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

I was running a slightly older LineageOS with GApps prior to this, and the Fingerprint sensor worked just fine. So it may be that Google Services tie into the Fingerprint/Security frameworks, causing the issues I'm seeing on this Google-free build.

I don't think so. I'm currently on LineageOS w/o GAPPS (Koen build) and fingerprint works seamlessly.

Cheers
Toscha

neroes

Jul 11, 2013
Braunschweig
www.soundcloud.de
Bootloader unlocked.
TWRP installed
Wiped Data, Cache and
Installed zip

Can you help me?

Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

This is ROM have Bugs?

A few I've found so far.

See my post #14 above.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

I don't think so. I'm currently on LineageOS w/o GAPPS (Koen build) and fingerprint works seamlessly.

Cheers
Toscha

I can confirm that the Koen build referenced here does indeed have a properly functioning Fingerprint Sensor and Double-Tap to Wake is working.

The thing this ROM from vince31fr has over the Koen build is that it has the base MicroG solution pre-installed and is already configured to allow Signature Spoofing.

With the Koen build, that will take some manual processes to get MicroG fully up and running for the folks looking for that functionality.

vince31fr

Dec 18, 2016
Toulouse
A few I've found so far.

See my post #14 above.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

I can confirm that the Koen build referenced here does indeed have a properly functioning Fingerprint Sensor and Double-Tap to Wake is working.

The thing this ROM from vince31fr has over the Koen build is that it has the base MicroG solution pre-installed and is already configured to allow Signature Spoofing.

With the Koen build, that will take some manual processes to get MicroG fully up and running for the folks looking for that functionality.
Clock force-close will be fixed in next update, thanks for pointing that out.
About fingerprint, I have no problem on my device: may be your firmware is too old ? You should be at least on 11.06, or a recent xiaomi.eu dev.
About dt2w, as I use @Cozzmy13 device tree, kernel and vendor and he did not fix it yet, it does not work in my build either. Koen uses @markakash device tree, where dt2w has been fixed.
Acutally I prefer using Cozzmy device tree, as it is specifically tailored for lineage, and does not need to be adapted.

Reactions: photonmedia
Clock force-close will be fixed in next update, thanks for pointing that out.
About fingerprint, I have no problem on my device: may be your firmware is too old ? You should be at least on 11.06, or a recent xiaomi.eu dev.
About dt2w, as I use @Cozzmy13 device tree, kernel and vendor and he did not fix it yet, it does not work in my build either. Koen uses @markakash device tree, where dt2w has been fixed.
Acutally I prefer using Cozzmy device tree, as it is specifically tailored for lineage, and does not need to be adapted.

Great news on the Clock FC fix!

I'll do a clean flash of your latest release and see how it goes. Not sure it's a underlying firmware issue, because flashing that Koen build the FPS works fine.

Fingers Crossed!

vince31fr

Dec 18, 2016
Toulouse
:highfive: Hi neighbor :D

Thx for your work, will give a try to your build :)

Which fw / vendor recommended ?
The world i is small ;)

If I remember well, I'm on xiaomi.eu 9.12.26... As I use Cozzmi13 device tree and he recommends global stable 11.06, I suppose that any firmware equal or more recent than these two should be ok.

Reactions: Minux31

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** Please read this : https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82949289&postcount=212 ***

I maintain for my own use an unofficial build of LineageOS for MicroG, that I decided to share here.
    What's included:
    • GmsCore, GsfProxy, FakeStore, maps API (MicroG core apps)
    • F-Droid Privileged Extension and FDroid
    • Aurora Store
    • Etar-Calendar instead of los Calendar (completely useless with MicroG).
    • QKSMS instead of los SMS app
    • Pdf Viewer Plus
    • Several NLP backends for MicroG : DejaVuNLPBackend, MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, NominatimNLPBackend
    • Magic Earth GPS & Navigation: the only exception to my open-source policy for preinstalled apps
    • Carnet (notes app, can sync with NextCloud)
    • Several new search engines in Lineage's browser (Ecosia, Qwant, Searx, Startpage)
    I also kanged some features from other ROMs that I really miss in los:
    • Smart charging (disables charging when a given level is reached)
    • Fingerprint vibration toggle
    • Swipe down to clear all in recent apps
    I used @Cozzmy13 device tree and kernel, all credits go to him (and to all los contributors, of course):
    Downloads:
    • 20/05/2020 build:
      • Many improvements in the device tree : see here. Among the most prominent ones are double tap to wake (DT2W), and fixes for ANX camera.
      • True black theme (can be enabled in theme picker when dark mode is toggled, by setting the 'primary color'). Not yet in official lineage sources, but submitted to lineage by Cosmin.
      • More de-googling : default DNS have been changed to quad9's 'unblocked' servers.
    • 16/05/2020 build:
      • Kanged a new feature from other custom roms: swipe down to clear all in recent apps. It must be enabled in the launcher settings
      • Updated apps to their latest versions, and in particular Aurora Store which fixes many problems due to changes in play API
      • Fought a bit more against data leak to google: completely removed all references to google's captive portal that were still remaining, and changed default option for phone number lookup from google to OpenStreetMap.
    • 27/04/2020 build:
      • Merged latest DT improvements, see here: wfi hotspot, IR, FOD...
      • Synced latest Lineage sources, up to security patch r33.
      • MicroG: enabled GCM registration by default, as well as DéjàVu NLP provider and Nominatim Geocoder. The goal is to make google-free beginner's life easier: there's now no need for an initial setup of microG. Advanced users can of course change this default behavior.
    • 09/04/2020 build:
      • Merged latest DT improvements (see here and here). Most notably, NFC support added, FOD improvements, battery savings in AOD.
      • Synced latest Lineage sources.
    • 25/03/2020 build:
      • Hopefully, camera and video playback issues are solved.
    • 23/03/2020 build:
      • Synchronized to latest Lineage sources and device tree.
      • Camera problem solved thanks to latest additions to dt.
    • 09/03/2020 build:
      • Synchronized to latest Lineage sources, including March security update (r31).
      • Synchronized to latest device tree and kernel. Many improvements, including one very important: Selinux is now enforced.
      • Removed DuckduckGo, and re-added Jelly (Lineageos' browser). I added plenty of search engines: Ecosia, Qwant, Qwant Lite (default on fresh install), several Searx instances among the ones that are regularly on top at searx.space (searx.info, searx.xyz, search.galactica.cat), and Startpage. I also added Qwant as suggestion provider.
      • Removed Aurora Services: useless when Aurora Store is installed as system app.
      • Replaced AOSP keyboard by OpenBoard from F-Droid.
      • Added Carnet from F-Droid, a notes app which can synchronize with a NextCloud account.
    • 04/02/2020 build:
      • Updated a few apps to their latest FDroid version (Etar, QKSMS)
      • Merged latest lineage tree (this is done at each release...). Among other things, localization (language translations) has been a lot improved
      • Prepared the rom for OTA releases. Next updates will be proposed by the lineage updater (can be opened in Settings -> System -> Updater). By default, the presence of new versions is checked once a week (this can be modified), and a notification should be thrown. I'll carefully check each release, but maybe in some cases, your device won't boot and only a data wipe or flashing a previous build could recover it... But this is the same for manually downloaded updates... Use at your own risk! For information, downloaded OTA files are stored in /data/lineageos_updates, but downloaded builds can be deleted through the updater app.
    • 24/01/2020 build: A clean flash is mandatory. You've been warned! Backup your phone before flashing...
      • Replaced stock SMS app by QKSMS
      • Replaced stock browser by DuckDuckGo
      • Preinstalled FDroid and MicroG FDroid repo
      • Preinstalled Aurora Store
      • Preinstalled NLP backends: DejaVuNLPBackend, MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, NominatimNLPBackend
      • Preinstalled Pdf Viewer Plus
      The APKs of all these apps come from FDroid and can thus be updated by FDroid.
      What has also been done:
      • Reworked the launcher home screen: clock widget, desktop icons...
      • Preinstalled Magic Earth GPS navigation app. Although not free software, it has a strict privacy-friendly policy, and I am not aware of any alternative open-source GPS navigation app providing traffic information.
      • Fixed NLP backends random deconnecting, by a quick and dirty hack, in the hope a better solution to be eventually found.
      • Replaced supl.google.com by supl.vodafone.com for A-GPS. something went wrong with that, it will be for the next release
      • Replaced connectivity check for captive portal login (default is connectivitycheck.gstatic.com) by http://captiveportal.kuketz.de.
      I will pursue, step by step, the ungoogling of that rom. Any clue or advice in that goal will be appreciated. My next step for a future release will be to replace default google DNS 8.8.8.8 by something else, maybe by Quad9 DNS.
    • 16/01/2020 build: Clock FC fixed
    • 14/01/2020 build: Initial build with minimal preinstalled apps. Added many ones in next builds.
    Bugs:
    \\\ NEW UPDATE : 20/05/2020 ///
    • True black theme (can be enabled in theme picker when dark mode is toggled, by setting the 'primary color'). Not yet in official lineage sources, but submitted to lineage by Cosmin (the author of the DT...).

There are not much activity on this forum, but updates are downloaded a decent number of times... People tend to be more verbose when things go wrong, so I suppose most users are happy -- or quickly switch to another rom! Don't hesitate to drop comments, suggestions, ...
    +++ NEW UPDATE: 16/05/2020 +++
    Thanks to everyone that participated in the discussion, this is very interesting and I finally changed my mind about default and preinstalled apps.
    I will make a number of changes for the next release, the goal being to make a build more user/beginner-friendly.

I actually plan to:
    - replace stock SMS by QKSMS
    - replace stock browser by DuckDuckGo
    - preinstall fdroid and aurora store
    - preinstall MicroG FDroid repository, so that all MicroG apps will appear in FDroid
    - preinstall Nominatim Geocoder and several NLP backends for easier setup of location stuff through microG
    - preinstall PdfViewerPlus

About the other apps, I think there is plenty of choice and finally no clear "winner" in my opinion. Even for DuckDuckGo I hesitate, but I really want to propose a google-free browser and search engine and it's a reasonably good candidate. For example also, K9 mail is very good, but I prefer the simplicity of the stock Email app.

All these apps will be included in their FDroid version: they thus can be updated through FDroid. Furthermore, they can be deactivated directly in the ROM (the other option being of course to remove them in e.g. TWRP).

I will also include MagicEarth for GPS navigation. Although it's not (yet ?) free software, this is the choice made in /e/, and not a so bad one. They have a strict privacy-friendly policy, and I really would like to make it a possible choice to have a relatively complete experience with the rom.

About the other future modifications, there will be a better default home screen, with a clock widget, DuckDuckGo search bar, and more default app icons on the desktop.

One nice thing too: as I explain in the OP, there's a problem with NLP backends being deactivated at each reboot and randomly when running. I implemented a quick and very very dirty fix, with the hope that this problem be solved eventually. Network location works now perfectly well.

Last but not least: I'm sorry, but a clean flash will be required for the next version. No way to avoid that due to some internal changes (particularly, the origin of MicroG apk, which is now signed by FDroid).

I will upload a new release within a few days, everything is mostly ready. If some of you have interesting remarks by the meantime, don't hesitate.
    Bootloader unlocked.
    TWRP installed
    Wiped Data, Cache and
    Installed zip

Can you help me?

Code:
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img