[ROM][STOCK][DEBLOATED][5.1.1] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 LTE 2016 (SM-T285)

Search This thread

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
This is a custom Rom I made for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 LTE (SM-T285), which suits my tastes.
If you have suggestions, send me a PM.

UPDATE 09/07/2016
================

A newer version that runs "root" (sepolicy constrained) scripts can be found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/rom-samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-lte-2016-sm-t3455788

Use the above version instead if you want to experiment with features like apps 2 sdcard.
Modifications:

* Based on LMY47V.T285XXU0APCN
* Stock Boot and Recovery (Not much choice since the bootloader is locked)
* Removed Touchwiz launcher and redundant samsung apps (Hancom office, Kidzone), replaced with Trebuchet
* Enabled r/w to the external SD Card

Installation Instructions:

Odin or Heimdall Required.

--FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK--

1. Make sure to backup of your data and have a copy of your stock Rom in case something goes wrong.
2. Make sure your device is OEM unlocked. (Enable Developer settings and Enable the OEM unlock settings)
3. Extract ZIP file below and flash the tar.md5 file using ODIN, for details on this kindly look for instructions in the xda site.
4. For Heimdall you can use 7zip to extract the system.img from the tar.md5 and just flash the system.img itself.

Link:
Download from Mega

Last edited:

TopTongueBarry

Nov 15, 2012
This is a custom Rom I made for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 LTE (SM-T285), which suits my tastes.

Modifications:

* Removed Touchwiz launcher and redundant samsung apps (Hancom office, Kidzone), replaced with Trebuchet

1. Make sure to backup of your data and have a copy of your stock Rom in case something goes wrong.
2. Make sure your device is OEM unlocked. (Enable Developer settings and Enable the OEM unlock settings)
3. Extract ZIP file below and flash the tar.md5 file using ODIN, for details on this kindly look for instructions in the xda site.
4. For Heimdall you can use 7zip to extract the system.img from the tar.md5 and just flash the system.img itself.

Link:
Download from Mega

Says I need the encryption key and if I do not have it to contact the developer ......

venomrat

Oct 27, 2010
Hi,

Anyone tried Pokemon Go update 0.37 with this ROM? The update fails to start for me. It prompts device/os version is incompatible.
I reverted back to version 0.35 and it works fine.

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
Hi,

Anyone tried Pokemon Go update 0.37 with this ROM? The update fails to start for me. It prompts device/os version is incompatible.
I reverted back to version 0.35 and it works fine.
Yeah the newest version checks for xposed and a bunch of other things. Actually a lot of people were pissed that they did this. You'd probably need to revert back to stock if you want to play. Only systemless root and xposed with magisk works for Pokemon go now.

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
Yeah the newest version checks for xposed and a bunch of other things. Actually a lot of people were pissed that they did this. You'd probably need to revert back to stock if you want to play. Only systemless root and xposed with magisk works for Pokemon go now.

Also if you want more details on what is going on search google for "pokemon go safetynet". Basically most custom roms and not just this device should fail the test.

Aug 31, 2016

UPDATE 09/07/2016
================

A newer version that runs "root" (sepolicy constrained) scripts can be found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/rom-samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-lte-2016-sm-t3455788

Use the above version instead if you want to experiment with features like apps 2 sdcard.
Modifications:

Link:
Download from Mega
Hello and thank you for your work with this device. Currently I am looking for a bypass for the factory reset protection on my sm t280. I have flashed the stock md5 file 3+ times attempting to do a complete data wipe and reset, and this doesnt remove the lock. Any ideas?

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
Hello and thank you for your work with this device. Currently I am looking for a bypass for the factory reset protection on my sm t280. I have flashed the stock md5 file 3+ times attempting to do a complete data wipe and reset, and this doesnt remove the lock. Any ideas?
To FRP unlock you have to go to developer settings and switch oem unlock to false. The stock rom should have it unless you are using a carrier locked version that I a! not aware of.

Aug 31, 2016
To FRP unlock you have to go to developer settings and switch oem unlock to false. The stock rom should have it unless you are using a carrier locked version that I a! not aware of.
please excuse my ignorance, but am i able to do this with out being able to login? the person i purchased it from doesnt have the original owners gmail and pw.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

please excuse my ignorance, but am i able to do this with out being able to login? the person i purchased it from doesnt have the original owners gmail and pw.
I just downloaded a stock recovery for a sm t285, and was going to attempt to flash to the 280. havent yet, do you feel that would be a safe thing to attempt? not looking to brick.

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

I just downloaded a stock recovery for a sm t285, and was going to attempt to flash to the 280. havent yet, do you feel that would be a safe thing to attempt? not looking to brick.
FRP is specifically designed to prevent flashing if you can't login to the device. You won't be able to flash unless the person has turned off oem unlock beforehand. I am not aware of any method to bypass this on this device.

Also the T280 and T285 have slightly different hardware so using a different recovery image is not recommended. Also since both devices have a locked bootloader, I highly doubt you can even change the recoveries from stock as I would imagine samsung using different keys for both. At the worst case it still always possible to reflash them back to stock if you do want to try

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
AARGH! If I had only waited and not sold my so difficult to get SM-T285M (to TTB)....sheesh never thought there would be this much progress

bang head live and keep learning

TopTongueBarry

Nov 15, 2012
AARGH! If I had only waited and not sold my so difficult to get SM-T285M (to TTB)....sheesh never thought there would be this much progress

And thank you so much for selling it. I don't speak enough Spanish to make the ordeal of getting one of the T285M's from so america worthwhile. I was planning on sticking with my T239M for awhile, then I saw your T285M on ebay.

I've dirty flashed jedld's T285 debloated rom, then dirty flashed his T285 tinker rom on top of that. Both onto my T285M. Working flawlessly. Wished he'd kept the mail app, but without touchwiz I guess that wasn't possible.

Something else they blocked in the kernel or with SElinux on the T285M is screen mirroring. Can only cast directly from apps.
Still I am happy overall. Now looking for a castrated version of daemonsu!

TTB :)

Reactions: mac231us

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
And thank you so much for selling it. I don't speak enough Spanish to make the ordeal of getting one of the T285M's from so america worthwhile. I was planning on sticking with my T239M for awhile, then I saw your T285M on ebay.

I've dirty flashed jedld's T285 debloated rom, then dirty flashed his T285 tinker rom on top of that. Both onto my T285M. Working flawlessly. Wished he'd kept the mail app, but without touchwiz I guess that wasn't possible.

Something else they blocked in the kernel or with SElinux on the T285M is screen mirroring. Can only cast directly from apps.

no need for a castrated version. Full ROOT is available soon now.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68777842&postcount=27

Last edited:
Reactions: mac231us

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Double Aargh...salt on my wounds ttb

Now my contact in S. America will not even reply to me

Contemplating on getting the Samsung J max 7.0 dual sim...yes no U.S lte but has an 8mp camera and a flash...similar to the T285 otherwise...can't say how many times I needed the flash for photos or even if for looking at labels peering into dim areas behind a monitor or tv..maybe end up in same pickle of no root...will see (number is SM-T285YD so it is based off the T285 it seems-maybe a Latin American version soon?)

Also trying to get the T705M from another source but taking forever...low hopes think it will come through

Last edited:

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010

got another one - white color ...as a gift...God Bless - great device battery life is just incredible - nothing fancy but does its job...keeping this one (had it since early November) gave up on the 705m

amenadiel

Mar 28, 2012
Santiago
www.chw.net
Is the root part contained in boot.img or in system.img? In other words, when using Heimdall I should flash both system.img and boot.img, isn't it?

I'm getting bootloops with CM13, Omni and I don't know how I got Tinker working, I kind of remember flashing boot.img, then wiping, then flashing system.img, then wiping again.

EDIT: got this one working too by flashing boot.img (Heimdall complains it cannot receive confirmation msg) reboot into download again, then flashing system.img (this time heimdall does reboot the phone). however, pokemon go still wont connect due to google's safetynet compliance.

I'll try flashing recovery in case it is TWRP the one clashing with Safetynet.

PD: I didn't backup stock at the beggining of the process so I'm pretty much screwed with Pokemon until I can afford a new phone. But if someone has a stock ROM for T285MUBU0API2, please ping me.

EDIT2 Got pokemon working. I reinstalled TWRP (this ROM's recovery is the stock one, of course), then flashed unSU. It removed SuperSU binary and Google SafeNet got working again. I can't believe that, after so much hours I've put into finding the best custom ROM for this crappy phone, 95% of the time was spent in trying to get Pokemon GO running. I'm close to 40, FML.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE 09/07/2016
    ================

Modifications:

Link:
    Download from Mega
    thanks, but what does after download zip? recovery mode or download mode? and how got it? this root t285?
    Thanks, but what does after download zip? recovery mode or download mode? and how got it? this root t285?

You have to go to download mode and then use Odin to flash. Unfortunately this does not root the T285.
    Says I need the encryption key and if I do not have it to contact the developer ......
    Sorry, updated links, try again and see if it works.

no need for a castrated version. Full ROOT is available soon now.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68777842&postcount=27
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone