• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] [Stock] J320A/J320AZ/J320AG deodex'd

Search This thread

DamienMc

May 11, 2012
Today i bring you the very first rom for our device.
It's only stock, but the installer includes enough options to keep us happy for a while.

The core installation includes a stripped down system menu with Google play and contacts. I also added, by default, the WiFi fix and hotspot mod. The rest of what you install is your choice.

Aroma options:
Choose which J320 you own
Debloat (fully customizable)
Deknox
Install root
Install busybox
Install Init.d
Install Xposed

Bugs:
None
If you find any let me know, but if you do not wipe, please don't even report bugs.

Link:
Download

Installation:
Flashfire

Enjoy
-D

Attachments

• J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-1.jpg
    J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3,931
  • J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-2.jpg
    J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 3,997
  • J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-3.jpg
    J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 3,866
  • J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-4.jpg
    J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-4.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 3,606
  • J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-5.jpg
    J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,365
  • J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-7.jpg
    J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-7.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3,310
  • J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-8.jpg
    J320A_Deodex_20170811.zip.screenshoot-8.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 3,315
Last edited:

DamienMc

May 11, 2012
This uses the same base files for each room, AQG1. So even tho the highest firmware for J320AG is only AQB1 you still get the July security update :) (minus the new sboot)

All devices are interchangable for me, on Cricket. Depending on your carrier maybe they'll all work for you too.

Last edited:

danny8

Feb 14, 2012
Houston
I have AT&T Samsung Galaxy Express Prime GoPhone, J320A. Owned it for one week. It has been carrier-unlocked. I'm now using T-Mobile SIM. Seems to work OK. Only issue I can find is where the SIM status page does not show my phone number.
I would appreciate pointers or maybe a place to look for installation steps. I assume I'll to need to root via Kingroot then replace with SuperSU (if possible). Then install FlashFire.​
I have rooted and installed ROMs on other devices (Galaxy Exhibit, 2012 Nexus tablet, Moto G), but seemingly devices are more locked-down these days. I understand that TWRP is not available for this device and likely will not be.

Last year, I bought a couple of inexpensive T-Mobile phones and "rooted" them with KingRoot which is still installed on those phones. (Not really thrilled about that.) I put rooted in quotes because it doesn't quite behave like a fully-rooted phone, IMO. I'm not very expert in these things, but I know how to follow steps and have used ODIN, TWRP, et cetera.

I'm leery of working with these more locked-down phones. Am I being paranoid and/or incorrect about these matters?

BTW, thanks for the ROM! I'm surprised there aren't more replies.

Maybe this phone is not as popular as I think it should be. Maybe it's too low-spec for the tech-savvy crowd. I got mine for just $64 at Walmart online, but they've since raised the price to $79. Seems like a good deal, even at that price.

I paid $15 to carrier-unlock it. I had to flash firmware (modem file?) before unlocking, then flash another file (restored modem?) after unlocking. I was following emailed instructions after the initial unlock procedure failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: weebeejammin

DamienMc

May 11, 2012
Here's the root thread
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j3-2016/how-to/root-samsung-sm-j320a-galaxy-express-t3573628
There's a xposed module that does just that, never tried it tho, and of course it's not permanent.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...pp-sim-changer-change-registered-sim-t2106490

I definitely like the phone and yeah, it's a good price.
Being locked does hurt it tho. No easy recovery and no roms from source. The only thing we might get will be ported. And with no kernel, porting is a pain to track down problems... but i like a challenge ;)

Reactions: danny8

somelk9

Jul 20, 2015
Irrigon
My J3 was unlocked out of the box? Still don't quite get the different names for it though. Rooted with infixremix method and worked fi e until its download caused the dialer to crash whenever it was opened. Still trying to sort out the mess I made of this one.

zentiba69

Aug 18, 2016
original stock

hey do any of you guys know where I can get the original firmware to restore this device? mine is the S/W: j320aueu1ape9
on the box it says j320x UD

danny8

Feb 14, 2012
Houston
How is this ROM working out?

Can anyone -- or DamienMc, the creator -- post a review of how this ROM is working out? Brief or long; any type of review would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of trying this ROM and I haven't rooted my phone yet.

Although I did unlock the carrier via a paid unlocker site. I'm using it on T-Mobile with no apparent issues. My phone is stock, of course, except for being carrier-unlocked. …Several questions, if I might:
  • Are those "extra" AT&T and Samsung accounts present? (ref. screenshot)
  • Are Samsung factory (i.e.: theme-able) dialer, messaging, and contacts apps installed?
  • Is it still possible to theme the UI with the Samsung theme installer?
  • Finally, which bloat icons have been purged? (ref. screenshot) I realize one's idea of bloat may vary from individual.
Any feedback or commentary is welcome. Thank you for your consideration.

DamienMc

May 11, 2012
Can anyone -- or DamienMc, the creator -- post a review of how this ROM is working out? Brief or long; any type of review would be appreciated.

I'm not going to review it (someone else can)
But I used it heavily before I started work on something new.
It's as stable as stock... cause it is stock ;) Nothing tweaked just the few add-ons to let you tweak it easier.

About the bloat.
I did notice I should have left Samsung account (and maybe billing) with the standard install. Because you can't use the theme store without them. But they're in 'bloat'.

You can always install all the debloat options and have 100% deodex stock and edit to your liking.

could it work on J320H?
i know it's for 320A/Az but i want to try it:D

Sorry bud, different chipset

iiFir3z

Jun 7, 2017
How do we flash this to our device mainly because twrp and cwm ain't a thing for the j320a. Also I'm using kingroot and I cannot go to su I've tried also flashify does not work either does flashfire how would you go about rooting with su cause I've tried the mrw method and contanstaly it would pop up kinguser has stopped working so do you have another method of rooting the J320A. I just followed the first post about rooting it.

Last edited:

gus8347

May 11, 2017
How do we flash this to our device mainly because twrp and cwm ain't a thing for the j320a. Also I'm using kingroot and I cannot go to su I've tried also flashify does not work either does flashfire how would you go about rooting with su cause I've tried the mrw method and contanstaly it would pop up kinguser has stopped working so do you have another method of rooting the J320A. I just followed the first post about rooting it.

I just rooted my phone with Kingroot and used the mrw method to remove it well keeping my root. after got Su in my terminal emulator, I deleted the kingroot apk not the app itself. then just installed SuperSu thru my play store and been working just fine for me.

iiFir3z

Jun 7, 2017
I just rooted my phone with Kingroot and used the mrw method to remove it well keeping my root. after got Su in my terminal emulator, I deleted the kingroot apk not the app itself. then just installed SuperSu thru my play store and been working just fine for me.
I've tried that it would just constantly spam me with kinguser has stopped working and that message would constantly spam me so I'm not ever using that way again.

gus8347

May 11, 2017
I've tried that it would just constantly spam me with kinguser has stopped working and that message would constantly spam me so I'm not ever using that way again.

Yeah i guess i never had kinguser app or apk i had to delete. Was just kingroot apk that i downloaded and used.

DamienMc

May 11, 2012

After mrc and kinguser crashes you should have supersu. You need to run that first, let it update the files and then reboot.
If su doesn't even get installed, have the apk ready and install.
Another thing you should make sure your really rooted, reboot after king and recheck.
Also what versions of kingroot and mrw are you using?

Reactions: danny8

danny8

Feb 14, 2012
Houston
I'm using Kingroot and I cannot go to SU. I've tried also Flashify does not work. Either does Flashfire. How would you go about rooting with SU…
I followed the rooting thread OP directions carefully and had many problems. My initial Kingroot was really ugly and heated the phone. I then attempted to use SuperSU-Me Pro (paid version). It was never able to complete, even after several tries. I struggled using various techniques over many hours. (I did have root with Kingroot.) Nothing would remove Kingroot 5.0.5, and as you probably know, Kingroot won't allow for many apps such as Flashfire. Very frustrating. I probably shortened the life of my phone and battery with all the crap I tried. Many pulls of my battery were needed.

I finally wrested control from Kingroot by uninstalling version 5.0.5 and installing Kingroot 4.5 instead. Then SuperSU-Me Pro did its work. Had I used Kingroot 4.5 from the outset, would things would have gone better? I don't know. The rooting process for this phone is a one-way trip with a dubious outcome. I know the Express Prime is not costly, but if you're risk adverse think twice before trying to root. I suppose you can undo the whole thing, but I haven't tried and likely will not.

Despite the problems I had, I believe using SuperSU-Me Pro was worth the cost and ultimately saved time. I'm glad I rooted my phone, but -- damn, it was a lot of effort compared to previous phones and my tablet.

I have not tried the de-odexed ROM posted in this thread's OP, but it's on my to-do list. I'm kind of afraid of messing with my phone for the time being. I'll post a review if and when I try it out.

For what it's worth, I wasn't able to get my built-in flashlight toggle to work. I ran the fix script via flashfire with no success. Update: Fixed after installing Busybox. Thanks, DamienMc! :)

Last edited:

Mikizio

Jul 7, 2016
I have AT&T Samsung Galaxy Express Prime GoPhone, J320A. Owned it for one week. It has been carrier-unlocked. I'm now using T-Mobile SIM. Seems to work OK. Only issue I can find is where the SIM status page does not show my phone number.
I would appreciate pointers or maybe a place to look for installation steps. I assume I'll to need to root via Kingroot then replace with SuperSU (if possible). Then install FlashFire.​
I have rooted and installed ROMs on other devices (Galaxy Exhibit, 2012 Nexus tablet, Moto G), but seemingly devices are more locked-down these days. I understand that TWRP is not available for this device and likely will not be.

Last year, I bought a couple of inexpensive T-Mobile phones and "rooted" them with KingRoot which is still installed on those phones. (Not really thrilled about that.) I put rooted in quotes because it doesn't quite behave like a fully-rooted phone, IMO. I'm not very expert in these things, but I know how to follow steps and have used ODIN, TWRP, et cetera.

I'm leery of working with these more locked-down phones. Am I being paranoid and/or incorrect about these matters?

Maybe this phone is not as popular as I think it should be. Maybe it's too low-spec for the tech-savvy crowd. I got mine for just $64 at Walmart online, but they've since raised the price to $79. Seems like a good deal, even at that price.

I paid $15 to carrier-unlock it. I had to flash firmware (modem file?) before unlocking, then flash another file (restored modem?) after unlocking. I was following emailed instructions after the initial unlock procedure failed.

Could you please tell the name of the service/company you used to carrier-unlock it ? (I'm in the same situation) Thanks! @danny8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today i bring you the very first rom for our device.
    It's only stock, but the installer includes enough options to keep us happy for a while.

The core installation includes a stripped down system menu with Google play and contacts. I also added, by default, the WiFi fix and hotspot mod. The rest of what you install is your choice.

Aroma options:
    Choose which J320 you own
    Debloat (fully customizable)
    Deknox
    Install root
    Install busybox
    Install Init.d
    Install Xposed

Bugs:
    None
    If you find any let me know, but if you do not wipe, please don't even report bugs.

Link:
    Download

Installation:
    Flashfire

Enjoy
    -D

I'm not going to review it (someone else can)
    But I used it heavily before I started work on something new.
    It's as stable as stock... cause it is stock ;) Nothing tweaked just the few add-ons to let you tweak it easier.

About the bloat.
    I did notice I should have left Samsung account (and maybe billing) with the standard install. Because you can't use the theme store without them. But they're in 'bloat'.

You can always install all the debloat options and have 100% deodex stock and edit to your liking.

could it work on J320H?
    i know it's for 320A/Az but i want to try it:D

Sorry bud, different chipset

Here's the root thread
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j3-2016/how-to/root-samsung-sm-j320a-galaxy-express-t3573628
    There's a xposed module that does just that, never tried it tho, and of course it's not permanent.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...pp-sim-changer-change-registered-sim-t2106490

I definitely like the phone and yeah, it's a good price.
    Being locked does hurt it tho. No easy recovery and no roms from source. The only thing we might get will be ported. And with no kernel, porting is a pain to track down problems... but i like a challenge ;)