Search This thread
Moto-Lite Stock Nougat ROM
Android 7.0 / NPHS25.200-23-1
Moto X Pure Edition XT1575
TWRP Flashable Installer
Rooted, Debloated, Optimized
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

What's Moto-Lite?
Moto-Lite is an entirely stock-based Motorola ROM, with performance optimizations, systemless root, and some moderate debloating. This ROM is intended to give users a clean, slimmed down stock experience -- via a TWRP flashable installer.

DISCLAIMER:
By proceeding further, you are assuming full responsibility for your device. Although this ROM has been thoroughly tested, I assume no liability in the event you damage your device or otherwise render it inoperable. Follow the simple instructions and things should go smoothly.

BUILD INFO:
•Android Version: 7.0 Nougat
•Build No. NPHS25.200-23-1
•System Version: 25.211.1
•API Level: 24
•Build Date: October 30, 2017
•Security Patch Level: October 1, 2017
•Kernel Version: 3.10.84-perf
•Bootloader Version: AO.52

FEATURES:
•Rooted with Magisk 20.4-Stable
•Static BusyBox Binaries: v1.31.1
•Moderately Debloated
•Safety Net Pass (ctsProfile/basicintegrity)
•Force Encrypt Disabled (Opt Encrypt)
•dm-verity/AVB 2.0 Disabled
•Custom Moto Boot Logo
•Optimized for RAM Efficiency
•su.d Support
•Fully Odexed per Stock Config

Official Motorola Firmware for XT1575:
This firmware repo encompasses official firmware packages that originated from Motorola's servers. This link includes Android 5.1.1, Android 6. anc Android 7.0 based firmware builds, including the NPHS25.200-23-1 build upon which mthus Moto-Lite ROM is based.

Kernel Source Code:
https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/releases/tag/MMI-NPH25.200-15

PREREQUISITES:
Per the general rule of thumb, you will need an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery such as TWRP. I recommend using the most current official TWRP build from here: https://dl.twrp.me/clark/
In order to circumvent force encryption during installation, you will need external storage such as a microSD card or an OTG USB storage device. (The /userdata partition must be formatted prior to installation; hence, all files and data stored on your device will be erased.) If you do not have, or do not wish to use, an external storage medium, alternative install instructions have been provided, for which you will need a PC or laptop computer and a good quality micro USB to USB syncing/charging cabke
NOTE: The below instructions assume that your device's firmware has been updated to the NPHS25.200-23 firmware build. It is also assumed that your device's modem/baseband version is M8992_1255331.29.01.88.09R SUPER_NA (the most current version).

Instructions for installation are outlined under two separate headings: A. INSTRUCTIONS - STANDARD INSTALL, which apply to users who have an external micro SD card or an OTG supported external storage medium; and B. INSTRUCTIONS - NO EXTERNAL STORAGE, which should be used by those who do not have, or do not wish to use, a micro SD card or an OTG supported external storage device. For the latter you will need a laptop or computer and a good quality micro USB to USB syncing cable, for transferring the ROM zip file to your phone during the process

A. INSTRUCTIONS - STANDARD INSTALL:
1. Download the ROM zip from the below link and save it to external storage;
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode;
3. On the TWRP home screen, select WIPE and choose the option to format data. Select WIPE again, then ADVANCED WIPE, and wipe System and Cache;
4. Select INSTALL, select the ROM zip, and commence installation;
5. Once the ROM is installed, the installation script will patch the stock boot image via Magisk v20.4-Stable to enable systemless root. BusyBox v1.31.1 static binaries will also be installed;
6. Reboot your system once the installer indicates finished. During the first boot, it is completely normal for a single boot loop to occur. This will not occur on subsequent boot-ups;
7. Once you complete initial device setup, open the Magisk Manager app and install any updates or any additional runtime steps that may be required. The app will display prompts for any necessary actions on your part;
8. Enjoy & profit...

B. INSTRUCTIONS - NO EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICE
1. Download the ROM zip from the below link and save it to your computer;
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode;
3. On the TWRP home screen, select WIPE and choose the option to format data. Select WIPE again, then ADVANCED WIPE, and wipe System and Cache;
4. Transfer the ROM.zip the file from its saved location on your computer to the now-formatted internal storage directory on your phone (via a micro USB to USB syncing/charging cable);
5. Reboot Recovery;
6. Select INSTALL, select the ROM zip, and commence installation ;
7. Reboot your system once the installer indicates finished. During the first boot, it is completely normal for a single boot loop to occur. This will not occur on subsequent boot-ups;
8. Once you complete initial device setup, open the Magisk Manager app and install any updates or any additional runtime steps that may be required. The app will display prompts for any necessary actions;
8. Enjoy & profit...

At the time I cooked up this ROM, the latest stable Magisk version was v20.4, so my systemless root installer encompassed within the ROM installer employs Magisk v20.4 stable. After installing the ROM, booting up and completing initial setup, open the Magisk Manager app to update Magisk to the most current version.

THANK YOU:
Thanks to the amazing @osm0sis for his static BusyBox binary installer. And many thanks to @topjohnwu, the genius developer and creator of Magisk. Huge thanks to @pitflyer, who gave feedback and input on methods of install, and who revisited and outlined the steps for an alternative installation without using a micro SD or OTG supported storage device.
Thanks to @sd_shadow for his input and guidance on installation.

BUGS:
Since this ROM is based entirely on an official Motorola stock firmware build, no significant bugs or instabilities should be expected. I have tested this ROM thoroughly after performing some optimizations (RAM, I/O Schedule tweaks. Entropy tweaks, etc.), moderate debloating and Magisk installation. I have noted no remarkable bugs, instabilities or performance flaws. However, please leave a comment in the event you discover flaws or bugs. I will look into the issue and try to resolve it. If possible, submit a bug report. Otherwise, list as much detail and specifics as possible regarding the issue.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
Android 7.0 / NPHS25.200-23-1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-SCJd3SqI4h01RpR2fsJ6N4BsRMzHaT1/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:

bronkish

Been running this for a week or so. It's fine - love what you took out. An issue exists with moto voice. I cannot get past the setup as I cannot record my phrase. The continual response is that the environment in which I am recording is too loud. I live in the forest - I can hear dew evaporate(/s), it's not too loud .

I run Xposed with Gravity, removed google account after I set some apps up, freeze with SDMaid, block most net action with Afwall - only hiccup on the phone is moto voice, which, I can live without. Thanks for doing your thing.

Been running this for a week or so. It's fine - love what you took out. An issue exists with moto voice. I cannot get past the setup as I cannot record my phrase. The continual response is that the environment in which I am recording is too loud. I live in the forest - I can hear dew evaporate(/s), it's not too loud .

I run Xposed with Gravity, removed google account after I set some apps up, freeze with SDMaid, block most net action with Afwall - only hiccup on the phone is moto voice, which, I can live without. Thanks for doing your thing.
Thanks for your input on this. I'll take a look at the Moto Voice service and see if I have debloated a system app or process that is Moto Voice dependent. Did you notice the Moto Voice issue before installing Xposed & GravityBox? Yeah I absolutely love SD Maid Pro. A great system-level tweaking tool with many uses.

bronkish

Gravitybox, yessir. I typically get my dumps in order, reboot to twrp, wipe it all, flash a ROM, reboot, initial setup, dev mode and those settings, airplane mode, reboot, flash xposed, reboot, set up my phone. You know, if I do it that way.

Lol, I got no time to see if your kung-fu works right before I fuk it up with xposed. I can't answer the only and perfect question that you asked me. What's even more perfect than that failure is that I bought a g power the other day and haven't used my Xpure since last week. This g power has a burn't pixel though. WTF. I had it 8 days to replace the phone I used 5 years.....sigh.

THanks for responding, sorry I can't help you help me. Probably going to return the g power and use the x pure again and wait for a sweet-ass black-friday deal to replace it. There's a 7T on craigslist winking at me, though... I probably won't reset anything on the Xpure though, runs sweet. Hard phone to replace.

Edit - yeah - been using SD maid for years - love it, use the hsit out of it. ONly realized yesterday that I can dump apks of all installed apps at one go. It just keeps on giving.

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Another report this works great. For those like me who don't like to read the directions, if you copy the file to the internal storage as you would expect it gets wiped. If you don't have external storage, you can recopy the file in TWRP afterwards -- you just have to reboot recovery to see the files. After that all is well and this ROM is working great.

• Love
Reactions: virginwidow
Another report this works great. For those like me who don't like to read the directions, if you copy the file to the internal storage as you would expect it gets wiped. If you don't have external storage, you can recopy the file in TWRP afterwards -- you just have to reboot recovery to see the files. After that all is well and this ROM is working great.
Thanks for your feedback. In fact, you make a very valid point regarding external storage devices -- although the /userdata partition needs to be formated in order to disable force-encrypt, some device owners simply may not have external storage mediums or, like many users, may want to expedite the installation process. I will edit the instructions to include installation of the ROM from internal storage, for users who do not own, or have access to, an OTG based external.storage device.

Since you installed from intternal storage, and thus could not format the data partition prior to install, I am assuming your /userdata partition was force encrypted during the initial boot up. Please clarify on this. Thank you.

Last edited:

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for your feedback. In fact, you make a very valid point regarding external storage devices -- although the /userdata partition needs to be formated in order to disable force-encrypt, some device owners simply may not own an OTG based external storage device. I will edit the instructions to include installation of the ROM from internal storage, for users who do not own, or have access to, an OTG based external.storage device.

Since you installed from intternal storage, and thus could not format the data partition prior to install, I am assuming your /userdata partition was force encrypted during the initial boot up. Please clarify on this. Thank you.

I'm not sure what happened, I just know that after I realized formatting user data would delete the zip file, I copied the file through TWRP back to the now empty internal storage. TWRP still did not see it, so I rebooted recovery and then it saw it (which as you expect was the only file on internal storage). And it just worked...

I'm not using this phone heavily but it seemed to work fine afterwards and I definitely like having the 'stock' experience w/ root built in and the moderate debloat. Here are my edited steps that worked w/o external storage for me:

NEW: 1. Download the ROM zip from the below link and save it to <<computer>>
SAME: 2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode;
SAME: 3. On TWRP, select WIPE and choose the option to format data. Select WIPE again, then ADVANCED WIPE, and wipe System and Cache;
NEW: 4. Copy the file from <<computer>> to the now empty internal storage (via USB cable in TWRP recovery)
NEW: 5. Reboot Recovery
6. Select INSTALL, select the ROM zip, and commence installation -- the rest is the same

I'm not sure what happened, I just know that after I realized formatting user data would delete the zip file, I copied the file through TWRP back to the now empty internal storage. TWRP still did not see it, so I rebooted recovery and then it saw it (which as you expect was the only file on internal storage). And it just worked...

I'm not using this phone heavily but it seemed to work fine afterwards and I definitely like having the 'stock' experience w/ root built in and the moderate debloat. Here are my edited steps that worked w/o external storage for me:

NEW: 1. Download the ROM zip from the below link and save it to <<computer>>
SAME: 2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode;
SAME: 3. On TWRP, select WIPE and choose the option to format data. Select WIPE again, then ADVANCED WIPE, and wipe System and Cache;
NEW: 4. Copy the file from <<computer>> to the now empty internal storage (via USB cable in TWRP recovery)
NEW: 5. Reboot Recovery
6. Select INSTALL, select the ROM zip, and commence installation -- the rest is the same
Thank you for clarifying and taking the time to detail your steps. I will edit my existing instructions and add the installation method you outlined, as an alternative for members who do not have an OTG based external storage device. I will credit you with outlining the steps. Thanks again.

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
Thank you for clarifying and taking the time to detail your steps. I will edit my existing instructions and add the installation method you outlined, as an alternative for members who do not have an OTG based external storage device. I will credit you with outlining the steps. Thanks again.

No problem and thank you for sharing the updated ROM!

Reactions: Viva La Android

virginwidow

Mar 6, 2013
Knoxvegas TN
Moto X Pure
LG V20
This looks like the solution I need ...

Could y'all PLEASE define exactly which TWRP yer using to get this from the SDcard into the phone?

Essentially, I UL my BL via moto, fastbooted TWRP (3.1? I'd heard going past 3.2 invited a.b partition foibles) however this still gives me the "Unlocked Bootloader" BSOD, ergo cannot USE twrp - it simply reboots into a functional fone (but obviously NOT secure)

The XT1575 came (used) with stock Nougat ... can supply logcat etc if that's of any use to removing this stupid VIBRATOR screen that won't let me get into TWRP at all

TYVM
VW
aaab.jpg

You may use any version of TWRP you wish for installing this ROM. I would personally recommend the latest official TWRP v3.5.2-9.0, released just last month. TWRP for the xt1575 Clark was built using device-specific kernel source code. Thus, no matter which version of TWRP you encounter, A/B partitioning will not be a factor because the Clark does not now, nor has it ever, used the A/B partitioning scheme.
So try these steps exactly: download TWRP v3.5.2-9.0 from here https://dl.twrp.me/clark/ , rename it to twrp.img and store the image in your ADB/Fastboot directory on your PC. Also, save a copy of this renamed TWRP image on your xt1575. Boot your Moto into fastboot mode and connect the device to your PC using an adequate data sync cable. Open a command window on your PC in the path of your ADB/Fastboot directory. After confirming.a proper sync, flash TWRP by executing this command:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Now boot to TWRP using:

fastboot boot twrp.img

Once booted into TWRP, select Install, tap the Install Image option in the lower-right of the display, navigate to the saved location of twrp.img you saved earlier and select it. Now, select Recovery from the partition options presented. Commence installation. When finished, TWRP should be installed properly on your /recovery partition. To ensure its persistence as properly installed, choose Reboot and Recovery.
Now you may install the ROM by the instructions outlined in this thread.
NOTE: There have been reports for years of xt1575 owners encountering difficulty with "making TWRP stick" while using the stock Android OS; i.e., TWRP being overwritten or replaced by stock recovery upon the first reboot to the Android OS following TWRP installation via fastboot. This is a common occurrence on many Motorola devices when TWRP is installed alongside the stock OS. (The best I can recall, this glitch is related to a "recovery.p" script present in the stock Android ROM.) The instructions I outlined above can be used as a workaround to this issue to prevent custom recovery from being replaced or overwritten by stock recovery.

Last edited:
  • Love
For what it is worth, I appear to be using 3.0.2-0. I see that's pretty old, but I don't seem to have any issues.
Yeah it's an older version, but other than the upstream codebase, the newer versions for the Clark (built on the Android 9 Pie tree) are not remarkably different in terms of the GUI. For purposes of what we are doing here --installing a stock ROM archived package --pretty well any TWRP or OrangeFox custom recovery build will suffice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for making this! I've been running for a week with no issues. Phone feels snappy. This is a great option to flash stock without going the ADB route. Cheers!!
    Thanks for your feedback. In fact, you make a very valid point regarding external storage devices -- although the /userdata partition needs to be formated in order to disable force-encrypt, some device owners simply may not have external storage mediums or, like many users, may want to expedite the installation process. I will edit the instructions to include installation of the ROM from internal storage, for users who do not own, or have access to, an OTG based external.storage device.

No problem and thank you for sharing the updated ROM!
    You may use any version of TWRP you wish for installing this ROM. I would personally recommend the latest official TWRP v3.5.2-9.0, released just last month. TWRP for the xt1575 Clark was built using device-specific kernel source code. Thus, no matter which version of TWRP you encounter, A/B partitioning will not be a factor because the Clark does not now, nor has it ever, used the A/B partitioning scheme.
    So try these steps exactly: download TWRP v3.5.2-9.0 from here https://dl.twrp.me/clark/ , rename it to twrp.img and store the image in your ADB/Fastboot directory on your PC. Also, save a copy of this renamed TWRP image on your xt1575. Boot your Moto into fastboot mode and connect the device to your PC using an adequate data sync cable. Open a command window on your PC in the path of your ADB/Fastboot directory. After confirming.a proper sync, flash TWRP by executing this command:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Now boot to TWRP using:

fastboot boot twrp.img

Once booted into TWRP, select Install, tap the Install Image option in the lower-right of the display, navigate to the saved location of twrp.img you saved earlier and select it. Now, select Recovery from the partition options presented. Commence installation. When finished, TWRP should be installed properly on your /recovery partition. To ensure its persistence as properly installed, choose Reboot and Recovery.
    Now you may install the ROM by the instructions outlined in this thread.
    NOTE: There have been reports for years of xt1575 owners encountering difficulty with "making TWRP stick" while using the stock Android OS; i.e., TWRP being overwritten or replaced by stock recovery upon the first reboot to the Android OS following TWRP installation via fastboot. This is a common occurrence on many Motorola devices when TWRP is installed alongside the stock OS. (The best I can recall, this glitch is related to a "recovery.p" script present in the stock Android ROM.) The instructions I outlined above can be used as a workaround to this issue to prevent custom recovery from being replaced or overwritten by stock recovery.