[ROM] StreakDroid 2.3 (gingerstreaks much nicer younger sister)

Search This thread

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
HTML:
]This is a pretty major overhaul of Gingerbread for Streak 5

This is collaboration between myself and DjSteve, with some huge contributions from ADW_Maniac and others, you know who you are

****NEW INFO*****
I've been given a present today from someone in the East. so I think its fair that I pass it on...
a kernel from a gb rom, with some appropriate files to go with it.
****NEW INFO*****

YOU must flash these AMSS & DSP to go with it..

If you don't know how to flash AMSS & dsp then DO NOT TRY THIS
I'm not responsible for USER ERROR

there is no overclock or extra governers, but tbh you don't need them at the moment,
this is quick and stable staggeringly so. it will do for a few weeks!

now onto the nice stuff

this is a 2.3.3 rom, its pretty quick overall, and fairly stable.
it has EXT4 fs (tweaked till its nipples bleed)
it has some very funky memory hacks
OLD INFO -out of date-
the kernel is based on Dells alpha kernel code, (which is why some stuff doesn't work too well)
its a mix of lots of different things from AOSP code, to dell binaries (we're changing what we can as we go, but frankly its not easy reverse engineering these)

3d scores, IO scores are pretty quick
Overall its very responsive rom
Linpack scores > 41
Fingerprint is set to 2.3.3 CRESPO to allow all market apps to be shown
Its not themed at all, so native gingerbread stylee
It has a modified HOSTS file to block adverts

I've included the following key functional FREE apps (support their devs please)
VTL launcher, its a launcher designed for landscape and very configurable, also uses ADW themes
total commander rc1
volume Plus (from the mighty meltus),its gingerbread so we can have a proper equalizer!
Clocksync (helps with the timedrift)
Hackers Keyboard (stock keyboard but better!)

YOU MAY NEED TO FACTORY RESET, especially if you flash it over a 2.2 rom

If you're flashing over 2.3 build then at least delete dalvik cache.
but factory reset is recommended

BACK UP YOUR SDCARD BEFORE FLASHING (at least the any photos!) failure to do so may see them eaten by the phantom photo fancier.

thoroughly recommend the following apps to go with this
from market
setdns
setcpu
getjar
market 313
droidiris
lgCamera (very tweakable 720p camcorder!)
Locales2
Appbrain Market
Fastweb install (works fully here)

GET YOUR COUNTRIES GPS.conf from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1233359
extract it and copy it (with total commander) to etc/gps.conf

if wifi doesn't work then you may need to change the number of channels in the wifi advanced menu

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Please note this is still a WORK IN PROGRESS >>>>>>>>>>
Please do not complain!

Get the complete updated fully functional rom from

StreakDroid_2_3Beta2

md5sum a7a713881e5d294432e2010d1d81e0b2 GS2_3beta2.zip

Kernel Source is available from https://github.com/fards/DellStreak5-GingerBread please get involved with development :D2_3

Last edited:

tungsifu

Aug 24, 2010
Hellyeah, thanks for bringing a little cheer to my day fellas...backing up n more backing up so I can do this as soon as I can...yippy!!!

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

vanemburghj

Dec 17, 2010
Fards, et'al, Again thank you for all that you do and have done. Quick question in the original GB had "THIS BASEBAND UPDATE IS REQUIRED FOR GPS AND SOME OTHER THINGS TO FUNCTION PROPERLY
its an engineering modified baseband that works better for 2.3
Baseband File Download:
Primary Download Site: http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/amss.mbn (now disabled due to bricking issues, never bricked mine, but removed when I heard about the issue)

THIS DSP FILE MUST ALSO BE UPDATED DUE TO CHANGED LIBRARIES IN 2.3
http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/dsp1.mbn
flash this using the fastboot command fastboot -i 0x413c flash dsp1 dsp1.mbn"

Have installed the dsp1, but has the amss.mbn file ever been fixed or am I ok running 353 (am on ATT so just went with their latest BB)?:D

nickshertzer

Dec 13, 2006
www.nickshertzer.com
StreakDroid2_3Beta2 is a MUST have! The lEaK3d "Asian" kernel does not overclock nor VPN (yet). LeAked drivers work and can be tweaked / themed. Thank you Dell (I guess). But it is a proper GB build. There is no more Mic /Sensors/Headset/power drain issues! Fantastic!

Please DONT post about themes or theme related issues here. Instead, join us in the themes forum GB_Streak5 Theme

The mic/sensors/headset doesn't work on my streak and the power drain is quite high...

j/k :D

@fards Thank you so much for all of the hard work and effort that went into this. Sometimes it's easy to forget that there is still a whole lot of people working on developing for the Streak, especially when it seems like Dell forgot about us. Big props on this new release!

Last edited:

cellopoly

Apr 12, 2009
This is a great rom. Donation coming your way on payday (BTW way is the donate link :) ).

I noticed the CRT screen off animation didnt work so I tried this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12515089. That was a big mistake. So I was wondering how hard it would be to include with the ROM? Not a big deal just a neat little feature of gingerbread.

Also just wanted to note that both my headsets with a mic/control work perfectly. The only one that doesn't is my plain jane ear buds.

Thanks again. This ROM is great thus far.

Last edited:

sgood1971

Jan 31, 2011
Parkersburg, WV
Wont be installing yet as I need stability, but I appreciate the effort more than I can express. Looking forward to future builds. Thank you for your time, will drop a donation your way soon as I can.

dsnreddy

Apr 1, 2009
KADAPA
vtl launcher not working properly

fire the rom twice--

first time deleted dalvik cache battery stats cache factory resetted and loaded the rom--factory reset again- the rom loaded but the home screen does not show full vtl launcher.

loaded the crt animation off also but no improvement

tried the honeycomb them 1.4 but the rom struck at android them and began recycling at this point and after few minutes put up a message that launcher not responding

second time---

deleted dalvik cache battery stats cache and factory resetted and loaded second time--the rom loaded but the home screen does not show full vtl launcher

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
I tried it out for a few hours and I have to say its very quick. Compared to what we started with fards has come a long way. I went back to 1.9.1 cause I need my Netflix. Thanks fards and keep up the great work!

Sent from my Dell Streak using xda premium

vanemburghj

Dec 17, 2010
Netflix does work

I tried it out for a few hours and I have to say its very quick. Compared to what we started with fards has come a long way. I went back to 1.9.1 cause I need my Netflix. Thanks fards and keep up the great work!

Sent from my Dell Streak using xda premium

borijess, netflix working like a champ on my Streak, running GS2-3beta1, dsp1 from DJ_Steve's thread and BB 353. Netflix version 1.3.0 build 246

jitin02

Mar 17, 2009
Unknown
www.safaribikes.com
Here's an alternative kernel in an update.zip
its just boot.img nothing else! dont flash it without flashing the main zip first.

Only use this if you find the original kernel a bit flakey, some people find it more stable (tbh I prefer the one in the main zip)

so this dont affects battery life?
Only smooths it?

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

aSquard

Jan 26, 2009
DF-Dub
Is it just me or did the download link disappear?

Nvm... I see what happened - Last edited by fards; Today at 01:08 PM.

Last edited:

albireox

Nov 25, 2009
Timisoara
Flashed it about an hour ago. After first boot I got the first "freeze" when defining my google account. But since then, it seems to work better than expected. Installed Launcherpro since the VT Launcher seems a little on the slow side. Keep up the great work Fards, thank you for this release.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTML:
    ]This is a pretty major overhaul of Gingerbread for Streak 5

This is collaboration between myself and DjSteve, with some huge contributions from ADW_Maniac and others, you know who you are

****NEW INFO*****
    I've been given a present today from someone in the East. so I think its fair that I pass it on...
    a kernel from a gb rom, with some appropriate files to go with it.
    ****NEW INFO*****

YOU must flash these AMSS & DSP to go with it..

If you don't know how to flash AMSS & dsp then DO NOT TRY THIS
    I'm not responsible for USER ERROR

there is no overclock or extra governers, but tbh you don't need them at the moment,
    this is quick and stable staggeringly so. it will do for a few weeks!

now onto the nice stuff

this is a 2.3.3 rom, its pretty quick overall, and fairly stable.
    it has EXT4 fs (tweaked till its nipples bleed)
    it has some very funky memory hacks
    OLD INFO -out of date-
    the kernel is based on Dells alpha kernel code, (which is why some stuff doesn't work too well)
    its a mix of lots of different things from AOSP code, to dell binaries (we're changing what we can as we go, but frankly its not easy reverse engineering these)

3d scores, IO scores are pretty quick
    Overall its very responsive rom
    Linpack scores > 41
    Fingerprint is set to 2.3.3 CRESPO to allow all market apps to be shown
    Its not themed at all, so native gingerbread stylee
    It has a modified HOSTS file to block adverts

I've included the following key functional FREE apps (support their devs please)
    VTL launcher, its a launcher designed for landscape and very configurable, also uses ADW themes
    total commander rc1
    volume Plus (from the mighty meltus),its gingerbread so we can have a proper equalizer!
    Clocksync (helps with the timedrift)
    Hackers Keyboard (stock keyboard but better!)

YOU MAY NEED TO FACTORY RESET, especially if you flash it over a 2.2 rom

If you're flashing over 2.3 build then at least delete dalvik cache.
    but factory reset is recommended

BACK UP YOUR SDCARD BEFORE FLASHING (at least the any photos!) failure to do so may see them eaten by the phantom photo fancier.

thoroughly recommend the following apps to go with this
    from market
    setdns
    setcpu
    getjar
    market 313
    droidiris
    lgCamera (very tweakable 720p camcorder!)
    Locales2
    Appbrain Market
    Fastweb install (works fully here)

GET YOUR COUNTRIES GPS.conf from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1233359
    extract it and copy it (with total commander) to etc/gps.conf

if wifi doesn't work then you may need to change the number of channels in the wifi advanced menu

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Please note this is still a WORK IN PROGRESS >>>>>>>>>>
    Please do not complain!

Get the complete updated fully functional rom from

StreakDroid_2_3Beta2

md5sum a7a713881e5d294432e2010d1d81e0b2 GS2_3beta2.zip

Kernel Source is available from https://github.com/fards/DellStreak5-GingerBread please get involved with development :D2_3
    cheers for posting fards:) im nominating fards as official maintainer for the sd 2.3 builds although i am still working on them also :) nice having a team of devs :D
    With the original dell streak rom Froyo it was perfect...

Well there is the answer to your question... YOU and the rest of the whiners here need to go back to STOCK ROMs and stop crying about the little problems custom ROMs bring.

Come on mods, a little help here... if you don't have time to police the threads you were appointed or volunteered for then turn it over to someone else
    List of known outstanding and fixed issues

I've compiled this list of reported issues. I think it will encourage people to use this ROM if we are methodical about recording, finding and fixing problems and get them marked as fixed on this list

Executive Summary:)

Most people report that this is a very stable ROM but some users have experienced some unexplained reboots. Out of 43 reported issues, only one is serious and confirmed still occurring in beta 2 with no known workaround (issue #1). The remaining issues fall into the following categories:
    - fixed in beta-2
    - fixed by reflashing, factory reset and or clearing dalvik cache
    - user errors (usually due to a theme or customization problem)
    - known Android issues not specific to this ROM
    - reported pre beta-2 and assumed fixed or user error
    - open but not reproducible by other users

A number of people have reported problems getting the ROM to install properly. It seems to be quite sensitive to the exact order the baseband, DSP and ROM itself are flashed in.

If flashing results in a boot loop or hang try this install procedure:
    1. flash amss and dsp1
    1a. let phone reboot (still stock 2.2)
    2. flash streakmod
    3. boot directly into streakmod, factory reset, clear cache and dalvik cache
    4. flash gingerstreak
    (i rebooted here and got 100 FCs at boot)
    5. do a dell recovery factory reset
    (advised by Coxeroni42 in post #234)

Maintaining this list

It would be really helpful if anyone who reported a problem listed below could let me know in a PM if the issue is fixed or still occurring and I will update the list. Also, please let me know:
    - if you customized anything manually or installed any other update.zip
    - if clearing the dalvik cache and/or performing a factory reset fixes a problem

@Fards: please don't take this list as a criticism, I'm very grateful for the work you're putting in and this ROM is looking really good already. I'm hoping that if we can get an accurate list of known problems this will help you make this ROM even better.

Issues confirmed by Fards:

Issue number,Post number,User,Description,Status,Resolution
    1,1,fards,jpg file deletion,,open
    24,104,AWD_maniac,APNs messed up,,workaround: manually edit APNs
    30,134,geo.samuel,unable run any USSD,,known Android bug not specific to this ROM
    40,162,cdzo72,applications on SD card still say 'move to SD card' in Options>Applications,,user error: theme issue.

Other issues reported in beta 2 but not confirmed by Fards:

Issue number,Post number,User,Description,Status,Resolution
    25,106,ste52653,Wifi tether/hotspot option missing (hotspot apparently working but UI missing),,other users cannot reproduce
    26,110,greekunit690 ,various processes force closing,,maybe user error: fixed by clear dalvik cache or factory reset (second method tested)
    27,113,maxicet,phone will not boot,,maybe user error: flashed in incorrect order?
    28,118,borijess,phone powered off overnight,"maybe caused by bug in essential update, see #122",fixed in beta 2
    29,125,kidrock23,CRT animation slow,,maybe user error: theme issue
    31,135,tungsifu,problems flashing,don't understand description,
    32,136,borijess,audio glitch,,maybe caused by Volume+?,fixed with reflash and factory reset
    33,138,aaronv89,phone stops sending text messages ('message could not be sent'),,other users cannot reproduce
    34,143,MokujinX5,button lights flashing,,maybe user error: incorrect baseband version
    35,146,Lucifer4obg,Settings>Display>Brightness Force Closes,,user error: caused by incompatible settings.apk
    36,158,cdzo72,occasional hangs accessing app drawer,,other users cannot reproduce
    37,160,cdzo72,dialer incorrect size,,known Android bug not specific to this ROM
    38,160,cdzo72,changing lcd_density in build.prop has no effect,,user error: appropriate line is commented out in build.prop - remove the '#' to enable
    39,162,cdzo72,no overclock support,,expected behavior: dell kernel doesn't support overclock
    41,193,kidrock23,multiple entries for google contacts,Issue not with contacts imported from a vcf file,workaround: merge/delete contacts in google account
    42,221,tungsifu,video chat in Google Talk not working,,maybe expected behavior (is video chat supported in Android 2.3.3?)
    43,khoacoi,widgets fail to load after reboot and unexpected reboot,symptoms simlar to issue #20,open

Issues reported before beta2 release.

Unless I receive confirmation from original posters that these issues definitely still occur in the latest version, I will remove and archive them presumed fixed or user error. If they re-occur, I'll reinstate them:
    2,8,borijess,wifi connection problem,,fixed
    3,11,dnsreddy,vtl launcher problem,,
    4,13,borijess,netflix issue (implied in post),maybe duplicate with 12 and 14,still occurring in beta2 but workaround: use net q to play Netflix movies
    5,20,albireox ,freeze defining google account,,
    6,22,Mike's Aria ,lost ADW desktop configuration backup,non standard dpi,
    7,23,jitin02,phone hangs,alternate kernel,
    8,30,tungsifu,no video chat,,
    9,30,tungsifu,browser lags,need more detailed description,
    10,30,tungsifu,can't install GB google apps,,
    11,31,edrill,random reboots,,
    12,32,borijess,netflix with rotation causes reboot,workaround suggested: use standard netflix, still occuring in beta2 but workaround: use net q to play Netflix movies
    13,43,fards,GPS becomes permenantly disabled,,requires reflash to reset
    14,45,borijess,netflix random reboots,,still occurring beta2 but workaround: use net q to play Netflix movies
    15,46,vanemburghj,lockup then reboot with embedded video in Dolphin,,other users cannot reproduce
    16,47,kidrock23,phone won't charge from laptop,,fixed in beta 2
    17,73,jitin02,audio problems over bluetooth,,
    18,76,be_vigilant,lockup with HD wallpaper app + beautiful widgets ,,maybe caused by /etc/hosts
    19,77,edrill,data not working,,fixed after 2 reboots
    20,81,borijess,widgets fail to load after reboot,,works in beta2
    22,90,be_vigilant,rotate doesn't work,,fixed in beta 2 (delete the sensors.qsd8k and sensors.8x50)
    23,92,nickshertzer,rotate doesn't work,,fixed in beta 2 (delete the sensors.qsd8k and sensors.8x50)

Issue list change log

update resolution for issue 26 (thanks Lucifer4obg!)
    update resolution for issues 2, 4, 12, 14, 20, 32 (thanks borijess!)
    update resolution for issues 24, 30 and 40 and split out confirmed issues(thanks fards!)
    updated resolution for issues 16, 29. added issue 41 (thanks kidrock23!)
    ask people to make clear if they've applied any customizations and whether they've tried a reset
    updated resolution for issues 22, 23 (checked contents of current .zip, problem sensors files not present)
    updated resolution for issues 15, 25, 33, 36 (thanks Johnnynho!)
    rearranged list to make clearer that issues reported before beta-2 are likely either now fixed or due to user error. These issues will be removed unless original posters confirm they still occur in beta-2
    added summary to make it clear that there is only one confirmed major outstanding issue
    added issues 41 and 42 (thanks tungsifu+khoacoi!)

BTW: if anyone knows how I can format this list as a neat table within this forum, please let me know! Also, if you think this list would be more useful in a separate post and/or in a Google Docs spreadsheet please tell me.
    OK I've updated the first post with some major news...

:eek:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone