• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] T217S - Anyone Interested

Search This thread

tgamble160

Jan 19, 2012
Tarentum
I am having trouble even finding threads for this device. If you know of a specific kernel thread or 2 and can link me I would appreciate it. I am right with you though. I am fairly certain it is kernel related. Thanks cerj!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

There aren't any kernels for the sprint version. Been searching for over a month. Have actually been thinking about learning to build kernels just so I can have over clock on my tablet.

Caution! My note 3 may eat your s5

Reactions: cerj and graffix31

mijjah74

Dec 13, 2010
Raymore
Sorry guys..been mia life is just to busy. But wanted to point out that this ROM is based on old firmware. Issues such as WiFi are likely related to flashing over new firmware. I currently use the old firmware as it works flawless for me and haven't had reason to update. If I can find time I'll try to update but just don't know when that will be. I've changed a lot on my personal setup as far as ui etc...I'll see what I can do as soon as I can do it.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

mijjah74

Dec 13, 2010
Raymore
This what most of the ui looks like now
gate3a3y.jpg

cxifenton11

Apr 22, 2014
sm t217s

So I would like to try to compress this thread into one message. If im wrong please correct me. Sprint uploaded to Nb8 firmeware on the sm t217s galaxy 3 tab. When the tab originally came out it was running a stock firmware call mh9. This custom rom has to be flashed on the old firmware MH9 only. You can find the link for mh9 on xda. Just search for it. My one and only question to everybody is... can you guys send me a link for a solid working root for the nb8. thanks. im working on something over here as far as themes. im new to this site and am learning that everyone on here is pretty solid so im gonna stick around.

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Sorry guys..been mia life is just to busy. But wanted to point out that this ROM is based on old firmware. Issues such as WiFi are likely related to flashing over new firmware. I currently use the old firmware as it works flawless for me and haven't had reason to update. If I can find time I'll try to update but just don't know when that will be. I've changed a lot on my personal setup as far as ui etc...I'll see what I can do as soon as I can do it.

Yeah I am Knox blocked because I didn't know the firmware version was different....my own fault. Mijj, if someone posts a full stock system dump and you can de-knox and deodexed I would be forever thankful:D

I am not completely FUBAR though. I did get 7 hours of screen time all watching Netflix on the Carbon Alpha on WiFi. If I want multi window I can go the Xposed and XWindow route and my IR works but I did plan on keeping the Tab dark themed and TW believe it or not. I wanted to see how well some of the TW specific features worked.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

Reactions: cerj

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
So I would like to try to compress this thread into one message. If im wrong please correct me. Sprint uploaded to Nb8 firmeware on the sm t217s galaxy 3 tab. When the tab originally came out it was running a stock firmware call mh9. This custom rom has to be flashed on the old firmware MH9 only. You can find the link for mh9 on xda. Just search for it. My one and only question to everybody is... can you guys send me a link for a solid working root for the nb8. thanks. im working on something over here as far as themes. im new to this site and am learning that everyone on here is pretty solid so im gonna stick around.

There's a video on YouTube where I found an "all in one root" zip that contained an Odin flashable CWM and once flashed (with auto reboot unchecked) I went directly from download mode to recovery and flashed SuperSU 1.94 which deactivated a portion of Knox so I was safely rooted and able to to get an extended power menu with screenshot, and a few other things via Xposed and made a backup and restored etc. If you don't find it, PM me because I had all of my gapps inverted etc....and this was just in the first few hours just rooted stock

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398645065612.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398645065612.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 99

cerj

Recognized Themer
Nov 1, 2012
NOLA
One of the reasons I haven't done anything as of yet, is this specific reason.. I wasn't sure what firmware this was and didn't want to update until I knew... Big thank you mijjah for jumping in and telling us, and for possible update..... I will eventually get us some themes going so for the people that already took the update I will try to get it going soon..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
One of the reasons I haven't done anything as of yet, is this specific reason.. I wasn't sure what firmware this was and didn't want to update until I knew... Big thank you mijjah for jumping in and telling us, and for possible update..... I will eventually get us some themes going so for the people that already took the update I will try to get it going soon..

Yeah I know what I am doing and I screwed up. Don't push things too far. I wouldn't go beyond experimenting with Xposed, swapping in inverted Gapps (all of the Gapps are deodexed in system/app) and I recommend flashing the Crossbreeder zip. It feels much faster and smoother. Either that or get Seeder app from Play Store and set to aggressive and your Entropy will be maxed and lag greatly reduced

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

cerj

Recognized Themer
Nov 1, 2012
NOLA
Yeah I know what I am doing and I screwed up. Don't push things too far. I wouldn't go beyond experimenting with Xposed, swapping in inverted Gapps (all of the Gapps are deodexed in system/app) and I recommend flashing the Crossbreeder zip. It feels much faster and smoother. Either that or get Seeder app from Play Store and set to aggressive and your Entropy will be maxed and lag greatly reduced

Thanks for the info... I will check all that out... Man Mijjah's screen shot has me wanting to get this rom on my tab so bad... I'm theming the new Hangouts but as soon as I'm done, I'm all over this... Thank you Mijjah for sharing this...

Reactions: mijjah74

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Thanks for the info... I will check all that out... Man Mijjah's screen shot has me wanting to get this rom on my tab so bad... I'm theming the new Hangouts but as soon as I'm done, I'm all over this... Thank you Mijjah for sharing this...

The screenshots I saw were exactly why I flashed it myself...lol. I am trying to think if there's a way you can pull a copy of your kernel because then I may be able to get my phone booting again on stock

Reactions: mijjah74

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
The screenshots I saw were exactly why I flashed it myself...lol. I am trying to think if there's a way you can pull a copy of your kernel because then I may be able to get my phone booting again on stock

Well, SamMobile Forums has the new firmware posted so it looks like I can get back to what came when I first powered on this device....hopefully:D

Mijjah, do you know how to De-Knox everything from the stock ROM? I had a S4 for about a week before I nuked that device but there was a deodexed and de-knoxed stock ROM I was using. Anyhow, I am going to extract and Odin flash this and see if all is well and if so I will upload it to my Dropbox or DevHost and shoot a link to you Mijjah...I think on the S4 they kept the original bootloader and stripped the Knox elements from the kernel...maybe we can get it done for this device. The GPS was outstanding and strangely the gapps were all deodexed on first boot so it was quick to swap those out. Also when I tethered to my T-Mobile HTC One it was a joy to use. This was my rooted stock setup with Xposed and GravityBox but the framework makes me want to vomit....lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398732341261.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398732341261.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 186
  • uploadfromtaptalk1398732360309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398732360309.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 184
  • uploadfromtaptalk1398732375878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398732375878.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 182

mijjah74

Dec 13, 2010
Raymore
Well, SamMobile Forums has the new firmware posted so it looks like I can get back to what came when I first powered on this device....hopefully:D

Mijjah, do you know how to De-Knox everything from the stock ROM? I had a S4 for about a week before I nuked that device but there was a deodexed and de-knoxed stock ROM I was using. Anyhow, I am going to extract and Odin flash this and see if all is well and if so I will upload it to my Dropbox or DevHost and shoot a link to you Mijjah...I think on the S4 they kept the original bootloader and stripped the Knox elements from the kernel...maybe we can get it done for this device. The GPS was outstanding and strangely the gapps were all deodexed on first boot so it was quick to swap those out. Also when I tethered to my T-Mobile HTC One it was a joy to use. This was my rooted stock setup with Xposed and GravityBox but the framework makes me want to vomit....lol

Benny has a Knox remove zip in his thread I think. You might try that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Benny has a Knox remove zip in his thread I think. You might try that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am going to search for that now because I got ahold of the newer firmware from SamMobile and it didn't work when I Odin flashed it. I am going to have to try the original firmware version because my bootloader is locked on the MH9 version now

cerj

Recognized Themer
Nov 1, 2012
NOLA
Im searching now.. I will PM you if I find what you are looking for.. But a quick google search as well may yield what you need

HaHa, I just realized I have what you are looking for.. I downloaded a bunch of stuff last month, this was one of the things I downloaded.. Pm me Ill link you

Last edited:

cxifenton11

Apr 22, 2014
sm t 217s ROOT!!! NB8

NB8 STOCK FIRMWARE...TWRP2700...SUPERSU 1.97...

Ok so for a couple weeks Ive been trying to find a working root for this device. Ive finally come thru. The update by sprint to the NB8 has twisted and turned a lot of files for this device as for a lot of them were wrote during the mh9 firmware short lived era. And yes.... your wifi will work after this flash.

Tons of credit to everyone on this thread as you all have been a huge help. MDiaz Mija and Tone especially. If you just search XDA...NB8... you will find that stock firmware. Stay chill with the download because it runs off a few mirrors and it took me a couple tries to get a good DL. Run the NB8 thru Odin 3.09. Then go to MDiaz DL site. The link is in profile under his name in his post. Download twrp2700 run thru Odin. DL SuperSu 1.97. Flash the recovery(twrp) first then unzip the SuperSu1.97 to a External SD card. Flash that SuperSu with the TWRP. BOOM. I ran root checker and it worked. WITH WIFI.

If the SD card wont mount while in TWRP just go to Reboot in TWRP and it should automatically ask you to run SuperSU 1.97. Slide the toggle to run and it will root. Did I mention that the WiFi will work.... haha. Goodluck guys.

Last edited:

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
NB8 STOCK FIRMWARE...TWRP2700...SUPERSU 1.97...

Ok so for a couple weeks Ive been trying to find a working root for this device. Ive finally come thru. The update by sprint to the NB8 has twisted and turned a lot of files for this device as for a lot of them were wrote during the mh9 firmware short lived era. And yes.... your wifi will work after this flash.

Tons of credit to everyone on this thread as you all have been a huge help. MDiaz Mija and Tone especially. If you just search XDA...NB8... you will find that stock firmware. Stay chill with the download because it runs off a few mirrors and it took me a couple tries to get a good DL. Run the NB8 thru Odin 3.09. Then go to MDiaz DL site. The link is in profile under his name in his post. Download twrp2700 run thru Odin. DL SuperSu 1.97. Flash the recovery(twrp) first then unzip the SuperSu1.97 to a External SD card. Flash that SuperSu with the TWRP. BOOM. I ran root checker and it worked. WITH WIFI.

If the SD card wont mount while in TWRP just go to Reboot in TWRP and it should automatically ask you to run SuperSU 1.97. Slide the toggle to run and it will root. Did I mention that the WiFi will work.... haha. Goodluck guys.

The problem that hasn't been solved is for dummies like me who didn't realize that the Goodness ROM was on older framework. Knox got tripped and when I Odin flashed the NB8 firmware my bootloader didn't reset. In the pics above I was rooted on NB8 and everything worked great but stock TW color is just nasty after years of orange and green. Maybe I can try Triangle Away or something because I find it hard to believe that its impossible to reset the bootloader. This was when I was rooted stock NB8 tethered to my T-Mobile HTC One with Xposed Gravity Box and I just got bored. I can still flash the CM and Carbon Alpha ROMs which saved me but there's a screen flicker issue otherwise its great

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399022296149.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399022296149.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 140

cerj

Recognized Themer
Nov 1, 2012
NOLA
I wish there was a way, Unfortunately, we have this issue on the Note3 as well.. once we update we are locked in... The S4 however had a few evil geniuses that figured this out... problem is, you need to stay on the old boatloader, and flash modded firmware to update... once on these new bootloaders we are stuck... I'm hoping someone will get us a deodexed Rom on the new firmware..

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I wish there was a way, Unfortunately, we have this issue on the Note3 as well.. once we update we are locked in... The S4 however had a few evil geniuses that figured this out... problem is, you need to stay on the old boatloader, and flash modded firmware to update... once on these new bootloaders we are stuck... I'm hoping someone will get us a deodexed Rom on the new firmware..

No I just figured out why I was stuck at the Splash screen after flashing the stock firmware. I tried to take the modified bootloader/CWM/SuperSU zip and rename it update.zip and adb sideload it but the signature failed. So just for the heck of it while in stock recovery I did a factory reset and cache wipe.....and it booted! I was certain Odin wiped everything. So next dilemma..... I am on the UANB8 firmware and I have another OTA waiting already..... Have you heard about 4.3 or 4.4.2 making it to this device? I just posted this in another thread but now that I know I can officially get back, maybe I should see if its at least 4.3:eek::D

Edit perfect timing too. Since I ruined my S4 in less than a week, I reactivated the 'ol NS4G and went back to 4.1 so I can tether on 4G wiMax.......but the Harmon/Kardon Sprint exclusive M8...I think I am pulling the trigger it also has 6 months free Spotify and a Clari-Fi tuned chip that allegedly sounds much improved

Edit....well so much for that. Does Triangle Away clear any count B.S.? I am still stock and it says device modified so update not available to me....and HTC actually emails each person the bootloader unlock key code. Anyone know if Triangle Away is compatible? I have honestly never used it ...lol

Last edited:

cxifenton11

Apr 22, 2014
Found out this is compatible. Actually kind of comvienant

Sent from my SM-T217S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1399231013437.jpg
    1399231013437.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 113

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Found out this is compatible. Actually kind of comvienant

Sent from my SM-T217S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wait what ROM and what kernel are you on? I went through some de-knox steps and I can't get adb remount to show and I was wondering if a kernel from the WiFi only Tab 3 will let me mount to this script with adb remount available so I can try and do some stuff here. By the way there's more Knox elements in this Tab update than the S4 update. Maybe a read/write script will run in init.d since debugging has to be off for adb to mount, This is crazy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've pretty much retired from ROM development, but I recently built a rom based off of StockT217S for personal use. Not much in regards to mods as Xposed handles all of that, but it is fully themed with most stock removed. Darker and more colorful than stock. With Wanams's xposed module, it make for a nice looking fully functionally rom. Just wanted to post this to see if there is any interest. I'll post some screenies this evening. Any sprint users that have run my Goodness series of roms for Evo, Epic Touch, S3, Note2 and Nexus5 know what to expect visually. Thanks to team blackout and gunthermic for some inverted gapps and images as well as others across xda. Lots themed.

Follow the rom HERE or catch us on the Hangout by requesting to be added in the thread HERE.
    I will try and get something up this evening...very busy time if year.
    This what most of the ui looks like now
    gate3a3y.jpg

Does this mean we'll get a Chrome X theme too? How's it going cerj?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

You know it brother... as soon as I get the S4 updated... I'm on this bad boy right here...

I'm good my Fren..Good to see you here