[ROM] Telus SGH-T989D Stock, Rooted, Lightly Tweaked, 100% [CIQ Free]

Search This thread

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
This ROM is one I have been running for some time now, I threw it together because I was not in need of the T-Moble junk, nor was I wanting to run a ROM that has Carrier IQ (CIQ)

Telus does not include any junk other then the default background so its a pretty clean build.

Rom Features:

- Updated all apps that were out of date except the market (I hate the new market lol)
- Deodexed
- Zipaligned
- All apk's are MX0 compression to use less ram
and open faster
- Services.jar has been modified to include CRT off
and i have removed signature checking, so theemers and users
using widgets and stuff from other devices don't get a sig-missmatch on boot
and boot loop.
- Recompiled Stock Kernel to remove CIQ bits
- BLN support patched into services.jar (Note: you need to flash a bln supported kernel)
- Will work on T-Mobile or Telus Devices
- Carrier IQ (CIQ) is not existent in this rom so it wont be using your battery
spying on you, and using your data to transmit said data its collecting.

CWM Flashable zip

Get Torrent Here

Call Recording APP by skvalex ( If you use my custom kernel )
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44644505/CallRecorder_v.1.0.27_alpha_build05.apk
The app is offered on XDA for free but you can promote his work by Buying it in the MARKET

I am open for suggestions on this ROM but understand it was uploaded to be a stock rooted ROM for those who wanted it. I am also sharing this in hopes that other chefs may use it as a base so CIQ does not run ramped in the custom Roms here (I have not seen the removal on CIQ in any change logs)

Attachments

• Telus_SGH-T989D_Stock_Rooted_Signed.zip.torrent
    43.5 KB · Views: 4,655
Last edited:

volkly

Sep 2, 2010
Mr. X

Loaded up this rom and i can't seem to select Swype as my keyboard of choice! the apk and lib are in sys/app

any suggestions?

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario

volkly

Sep 2, 2010
Thats an interesting one, i hate swype so i never noticed, ill fix that and re-upload by tomorrow am.

Thanks for letting me know. It probably doesn't like the fact i optimized that apk.

That might be it, i tried using the swype and lib from the Tmo version and it said license mismatch and will operate in limited mode. Will you be able to upload the telus original swype apk from telus?

ijaved

Nov 6, 2011
Milton, ON
Nicee thank god there's telus users here as well lol..i just flashed juggernaut 3.5 so i will give it 4 more days before i reflash it wit this :))

just wondering is there controls for brightness? sometimes i get text in night (dark) and i hate replying to it cause of brightness... even when its at its lowest ? anyway to go more lower than the defaults?

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Nicee thank god there's telus users here as well lol..i just flashed juggernaut 3.5 so i will give it 4 more days before i reflash it wit this :))

just wondering is there controls for brightness? sometimes i get text in night (dark) and i hate replying to it cause of brightness... even when its at its lowest ? anyway to go more lower than the defaults?

The brightness controls are as they were on the stock rom.

Reactions: Chandalen

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Wait wait wait..i just googled CIQ

Are you saying the T-Mo rom is tracking us such as Juggernaut/beastmod, and the Telus based ones arent? Wouldnt ROM developers have removed that?

Also, since this is Deodexed, can i apply the Lightning theme?

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Wait wait wait..i just googled CIQ

Are you saying the T-Mo rom is tracking us such as Juggernaut/beastmod, and the Telus based ones arent? Wouldnt ROM developers have removed that?

Also, since this is Deodexed, can i apply the Lightning theme?

See here: http://androidsecuritytest.com/features/logs-and-services/loggers/carrieriq/

According to my research 99% of US devices deploy Carrier IQ to some extent to collect data form your device, this can include but not limited too, keystrokes, device usage and app usage and what not, its pretty nasty stuff, and untill recently from the research from a XDA member by the name of TrevE, no one knew just how much data they were collecting and or are capable of collecting, IMO its a HUGE privacy concern, a security risk and it uses your battery and data to transmit usage stats over your 3/4G and wifi to a server on a regular basis.

The stock tmobile rom has carrier IQ in it have looked, as for the custom roms i do not know for sure but according to change logs i don't see they have removed it, the best way it so ask the chef.

Teluss roms, canadian devices to be specific do not have Carrier IQ (CIQ) in them as this technique of datamining/spying on the users is not deployed at all in canada.

Last time i checked to custom roms i have downloaded they still have the carrier iq stuff in them, its riddled in every apk and system libs, framework and the kernel. its very intrusive and a lot of work has to be done to remove it, but it cannot be removed fully, just crippled to a non working state 9not transmitting data at least).

And to answer your second question, yes you can apply a theme to this. its deodexed.

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
See here: http://androidsecuritytest.com/features/logs-and-services/loggers/carrieriq/

According to my research 99% of US devices deploy Carrier IQ to some extent to collect data form your device, this can include but not limited too, keystrokes, device usage and app usage and what not, its pretty nasty stuff, and untill recently from the research from a XDA member by the name of TrevE, no one knew just how much data they were collecting and or are capable of collecting, IMO its a HUGE privacy concern, a security risk and it uses your battery and data to transmit usage stats over your 3/4G and wifi to a server on a regular basis.

The stock tmobile rom has carrier IQ in it have looked, as for the custom roms i do not know for sure but according to change logs i don't see they have removed it, the best way it so ask the chef.

Teluss roms, canadian devices to be specific do not have Carrier IQ (CIQ) in them as this technique of datamining/spying on the users is not deployed at all in canada.

Last time i checked to custom roms i have downloaded they still have the carrier iq stuff in them, its riddled in every apk and system libs, framework and the kernel. its very intrusive and a lot of work has to be done to remove it, but it cannot be removed fully, just crippled to a non working state 9not transmitting data at least).

And to answer your second question, yes you can apply a theme to this. its deodexed.

Holy crap, im switching...would the kernels have such tracking methods also or can i load bullet with this?

Edit: This is probably why id see my battery drop 0-1% overnight on stock, and like 10% on any other rom with the exact same apps installed!

Last edited:

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Holy crap, im switching...would the kernels have such tracking methods also or can i load bullet with this?

Edit: This is probably why id see my battery drop 0-1% overnight on stock, and like 10% on any other rom with the exact same apps installed!

With my experience with the HTC kernels they imbedded CIQ stuff in them, it was a config option to turn it on and off.

They also hide stuff in the ram disk, since i have not used the tmobile source i cannot verify this first hand, only from previous experience.

Also check this out

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/carrieriq-censor-research-baseless-legal-threat

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
With my experience with the HTC kernels they imbedded CIQ stuff in them, it was a config option to turn it on and off.

They also hide stuff in the ram disk, since i have not used the tmobile source i cannot verify this first hand, only from previous experience.

Also check this out

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/carrieriq-censor-research-baseless-legal-threat

Well damn, so ive wiped data/flashed your stuff/left stock kernel. This 'ram disk', does this mean that its possible its still hanging around?

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Well damn, so ive wiped data/flashed your stuff/left stock kernel. This 'ram disk', does this mean that its possible its still hanging around?

each kernel has there own ramdisk.

Any kernel based off the telus source, AND the telus ramdisk (initramfs) will be guaranteed CIQ free, i know my custom kernel is based off these and i *think* team kangs are as well, but i'd ask if you are concerned, they know there stuff and will be more then able to answer.

just found this as a reference

Chad Goodman <http://forum.androidcustomcreations.com/> said in reply to Andy @ Carrier IQ <http://www.carrieriq.com>... So....
as a kernel developer i learned a lot about CIQ recently... CIQ has ROOT access to a TTY session
CIQ has ROOT promiscuous mode access to the WIFI adapter
CIQ has ROOT access to ALL the file systems on the device
CIQ has access to realtime clock, alarm data, and the ability to remotely wake up my phone AFTER i turned it off.
...all of this at the kernel level
.......... and thats just a short list - i removed over 400 lines of code related to CIQ so far in the kernel I run on my phone ROOT access to a TTY session and to the file system can allow CIQ to access logcat logs, and these logs contain phone numbers, email addresses in clear text.. I would like Andy @ CIQ to respond to this please...

Kernel devs will want to check if CIQ_SUPPORT=y is enabled in the make config and if so, set to #CIQ_SUPPORT is not set and CONFIG_BUILD_CIQ=y to #CONFIG_BUILD_CIQ is not set

Last edited:
Reactions: kbekois

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROM is one I have been running for some time now, I threw it together because I was not in need of the T-Moble junk, nor was I wanting to run a ROM that has Carrier IQ (CIQ)

Telus does not include any junk other then the default background so its a pretty clean build.

Rom Features:

- Updated all apps that were out of date except the market (I hate the new market lol)
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - All apk's are MX0 compression to use less ram
    and open faster
    - Services.jar has been modified to include CRT off
    and i have removed signature checking, so theemers and users
    using widgets and stuff from other devices don't get a sig-missmatch on boot
    and boot loop.
    - Recompiled Stock Kernel to remove CIQ bits
    - BLN support patched into services.jar (Note: you need to flash a bln supported kernel)
    - Will work on T-Mobile or Telus Devices
    - Carrier IQ (CIQ) is not existent in this rom so it wont be using your battery
    spying on you, and using your data to transmit said data its collecting.

CWM Flashable zip

Get Torrent Here

Call Recording APP by skvalex ( If you use my custom kernel )
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44644505/CallRecorder_v.1.0.27_alpha_build05.apk
    The app is offered on XDA for free but you can promote his work by Buying it in the MARKET

I am open for suggestions on this ROM but understand it was uploaded to be a stock rooted ROM for those who wanted it. I am also sharing this in hopes that other chefs may use it as a base so CIQ does not run ramped in the custom Roms here (I have not seen the removal on CIQ in any change logs)
    I've created a torrent for the ROM zip file lying on my hard drive that I downloaded on Dec 26.

Unless Mr. X requests that I take it down, I'll keep seeding it.
    I've created a torrent for the ROM zip file lying on my hard drive that I downloaded on Dec 26.

Unless Mr. X requests that I take it down, I'll keep seeding it.

Thank you for the torrent, I am seeding it too.

However, here is an http mirror for this file as well.
    http://d-h.st/GK5
    Is anyone else having trouble accessing the links in the OP? Won't load on my phone or laptop.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using xda premium

Someone posted this mirror a few pages back

http://d-h.st/GK5
    Those of you asking for a tmoble version of ciq free, it will be here in about an hour im testing it now.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1395670