• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][testing][mustang] Lineage-16.0 [12 Mar 2021]

Search This thread

Nazo

Jan 7, 2008
Two things: it's best when flashing an OS to wipe the system partition too, not just data and cache. Factory reset won't wipe the system partition. Basically that would be an upgrade in the form of a "dirty flash" but without any data, so kind of pointless anyway. In an ideal world it's probably best to never dirty flash except when it's a stable line of updates with very few changes though of course we all have to do it so we don't have to redo everything from time to time anyway, but regardless if you're not saving data then there's no point. Basically you can just do an advanced wipe and erase everything but internal storage and external storage if you have a memory card in.

Don't flash Magisk until after you boot it for the first time or it can get stuck on boot. Go ahead and flash gapps before you boot that first time though. You can keep things simpler if you want though. Up to Lineage 16.0 you could simply flash a su binary directly into the ROM: https://download.lineageos.org/extras (ARM, not ARM64.) This adds considerably less complexity, but doesn't have any of the extras of Magisk, so it depends on what your needs are, but this ROM doesn't pass SafetyNet or anything like that anyway, so many of the benefits of Magisk are wasted on it. There are some things Magisk can do that you can't do via root alone much like the Xposed Framework, so depending on your needs you have either option with this one, but if you don't do any of those things it might be good to keep the ROM just that much cleaner.

BTW, I have no idea why you wouldn't have a backup button at all. I think the latest version for Mustang is 3.3.1-0 (at least the highest I could find) if that helps narrow down among which ones are available. Make sure there is a storage available. You may have to do a reformat (advance "wipe") of the storage partition if all else fails perhaps (bear in mind this erases everything in the internal "sdcard" storage, so back it up via mtp or adb first if you want to do that.) Internal storage should be formatted as ext4. You should also be able to use an external sdcard for backup. Make sure one of them is actually mounted. Also, if it does that whole thing with the swipe bar to enable modifications obviously you want to swipe to allow them (I forget if this one even does that.)

Oct 2, 2020
Thanks, that's really helpful.

I'm really interested in doing the minimum, I only use su rights for termux from time to time, and maybe tasker.

Yes, no backup on this version of TWRP.

The attached picture is what my TWRP looks like

Attachments

• 20210813_210928.jpg
    20210813_210928.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

Nazo

Jan 7, 2008
Yeah, there is a lot to be said for keeping things minimal. Magisk can do a lot of powerful things, but on a Fire 7 a lot of those things are less applicable to the way most of us probably use such a device. After all, this is no high end machine and most of us are using them for simple things like reading. I recommend Magisk for a lot of things, but most of what at least I personally do with my Fire 7 benefits more from keeping everything as minimal as possible for maximum battery life. In fact, next time I flash mine I'm going to a MicroG setup, but YMMV of course.

And yeah, that's an older TWRP build with fewer options from earlier on in this model's hacking timeline. Here's a newer build with more features and compatibility: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/recovery-mustang-twrp-touch-recovery-fire-7-2019-9th-gen.3949114/ You should be able to just flash the img from TWRP itself I think.

Oct 2, 2020
Thanks for the link, my limited google-fu didn't turn that up

My F7 predominantly gets used these days as a way to distract the little one on the changing mat, though am interested in some heavier use. Surprisingly it runs Zoom (Amazon version?) more reliably than anything else I have, so Zoom with a split termux / emacs window for notes will be a prime use-case

So, to recap for my own benefit, actually now I need to:

- Ti Backup [done]
- Termux / emacs backup
- nandroid backup (in case I want to go back to stock)
- flash latest Mustang Twrp
- full wipe
- flash lineage16
- flash su and gapps before rebooting
- profit!

Forgive my noob-ness but when you say a micro-g build, do you mean microg rather than gapps, or the lineage micro-g fork? I find the idea of a microg build attractive of its lighter

Nazo

Jan 7, 2008
Yes those are the right steps except, just to be 100% clear, you don't have to format internal storage or the external SD of course in that full wipe.

As for MicroG, the LineageOS fork is just the normal LineageOS with MicroG stuff already installed, configured, and conveniences around it (like F-Droid given the privileges it needs to automatically update) just already setup for you. There is no true difference from manually doing those same things yourself, just a convenience. Unfortunately, as the Fire 7 lacks any official LineageOS builds, you won't find official MicroG convenience builds already available either. There may be some build with it available around here somewhere, but it's probably behind this one and with a device like this you definitely want the latest builds you can find. In the end though it's no different from just doing it yourself. The only key difference is just you don't flash the gapps package and then after initial setup you install and configure the MicroG apps yourself.

Oct 2, 2020
Thanks @Nazo and @ggow for your help and development. Everything went smoothly.

I flashed 16 and it looks lovely. For now I've hopped over to 14 for working cameras and YT support.

I'm just re-flashing 14 because the play store won't get past "pending" and I've tried everything else (clearing data, cache, rebooting etc) hopefully that'll work out fine

Thanks again

slacka123

Jun 2, 2012
I've tried to use this 16.0 image as my daily driver, but the lack of video playback is a deal breaker. Any hacks or work arounds? Media consumption is my primary use, so I had to go back to 14.1.

I had a question about using Nano GApps and other ideas to free memory on 14.1. Is it OK to post about 14.1 here? @ggow I'm sure you got real-world to focus on now. Until your life has recovered from the flood, could you re-open that thread, if you don't want it discussed here?

Last edited:

detesto

I decided to give this a try since I had to hand down my daily driver tablet to my daughter and this was just collecting dust in a drawer.

Since my main use is media consumption, mostly on YouTube, I tried that first and it wasn't working (black screen), so I loaded Newpipe and changed the video format to webm. After that, for some reason the main YouTube app started working, so I now can watch videos there instead. This will hold out until I catch a deal on another tablet.

Sep 17, 2021
Disclaimer
Code:
/*
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
* or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
* in the products you find here before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
*/

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: This ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required). This will be fixed in a later update.

Rules
- Please search the thread before asking questions
- Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
- Please report bugs here
- Report only one issue per bug report
- When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg where possible
- Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Downloads
- Lineage-16.0 for Amazon Fire 7 (mustang)

Source Code

Thanks
- @k4y0z and @xyz` for the bootloader hack
- LineageOS
Just wondering, in terms of privacy how does flashing this rom differ from using the latest version of fire Toolbox (v.23) since you can stop telementary and freeze apps

Oct 2, 2020
Just a quick bit of info on the video issue if it helps:

(1) the failure to play back is also present in BBC iplayer app;
(2) choosing webm in newpipe (latest 0.21.9) works for most, but not all videos there are some videos, mostly from less popular channels, which just error out with "Unrecoverable player error occured";
(3) youtube Vanced doesn't play at all; and
(4) as detesto has noted, for some reason the main YT app (with all its ads and annoyances) works just fine
**EDIT**(5) when wind down is set to greyscale, the screen goes predominantly green

Last edited:

donk165

Dec 11, 2012
West Midlands
OnePlus Nord
Thank you for this new build, I have flashed it onto one of our work tablets, I will be updating the remaining 39 tablets in the next week. All appears to work great, its nice that the black screen issues from the old LOS14 build are gone now :)

Thanks again @ggow !

donk165

Dec 11, 2012
West Midlands
OnePlus Nord
@donk I'm curious about the black screen issues. Was that where there was a freeze which needed a soft reset?
TBH, this was a year ago or so, back on the LOS14.1 builds from another thread, yeah the screen used to go black and the device didnt respond, you had to hold the power button to power cycle it back into life. It didnt always happen, and there were some patches made by @Ziona to address the issue.

Are you experiencing this on the LOS16 builds?

Oct 2, 2020
I'm still not moved back into our house yet (since beginning of June) after the flood we had. Will continue with mustang development when possible.
That's sad to hear man, hope everything is going as well as it can for you. Thanks so much for your work with this device. Even the current version of 16 with no cameras etc is fantastic compared with the OEM OS.

Crigges

Dec 6, 2019
I did a full wipe and a fresh install on my 9th Gen. Fire 7 (M8S26G) with the Version from the Mar 12, 2021.
However, Bluetooth keeps crashing even when turned off, see attached tombstones.
Anything I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm still not moved back into our house yet (since beginning of June) after the flood we had. Will continue with mustang development when possible.
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: This ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required). This will be fixed in a later update.

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg where possible
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Downloads
    - Lineage-16.0 for Amazon Fire 7 (mustang)

Source Code

Thanks
    - @k4y0z and @xyz` for the bootloader hack
    - LineageOS
    Got this working on my fire 7. Pretty amazing!
    Having issues with YouTube playback with new pipe though. Setting default video format to WebM seems to fix it. Playback also doesn't work in Firefox.

I'm having the same issue. I can't play YouTube in the app, on Firefox, or in NewPipe. I also can't play videos on cnn.com in Firefox. Setting the format to webp in NewPipe does fix it though.
    Added video playback to the todo list
    ⏱ Change log / Release Notes

TBA

- [fixed] Cameras not working at all

12 March 2021
    - [fixed] Can't sign into google
    - [fixed] Built in browser does not work

15 February 2021
    - Initial Release
    🛠 Worklist / Tasks

- [fixed] Bluetooth works
    - [fixed] WiFi working
    - [fixed] Audio works
    - [done] Sensors working
    - [fixed] Touch sounds are working
    - [done] Test audio format playback - mp3 working
    - [done] Tested video playback with NewPipe which is working
    - [fixed] No adb during boot
    - [done] Wired headphones working
    - [fixed] Built in browser does not work
    - [fixed] Can't sign into google

- [todo] Magisk update by app
    - [todo] Support aptX-HD encoder for bluetooth

- [todo] Cameras not working at all
    - [todo] Youtube, NewPipe, video playback
    @ggow , can we expect a similar ROM for the older FIRE devices, like Ford?

I think it's possible, been looking into it. However it may result in loss of cameras and other functionality at least in the short term.

I'm wanting to get all the amazon devices I work on onto lineage-16.0, easier to work on one rom for all.