[ROM][testing][mustang] Lineage-16.0 [25 Jan 2022]

Search This thread

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
@ggow , can we expect a similar ROM for the older FIRE devices, like Ford?

I think it's possible, been looking into it. However it may result in loss of cameras and other functionality at least in the short term.

I'm wanting to get all the amazon devices I work on onto lineage-16.0, easier to work on one rom for all.

Last edited:

Sooperphone

Jun 7, 2019
Got this working on my fire 7. Pretty amazing!
Having issues with YouTube playback with new pipe though. Setting default video format to WebM seems to fix it. Playback also doesn't work in Firefox.

Reactions: wjcroft

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Having issues with YouTube playback with new pipe though. Setting default video format to WebM seems to fix it. Playback also doesn't work in Firefox.

I'm having the same issue. I can't play YouTube in the app, on Firefox, or in NewPipe. I also can't play videos on cnn.com in Firefox. Setting the format to webp in NewPipe does fix it though.
Added video playback to the todo list

G01

Mar 28, 2011
Got this working on my fire 7. Mostly great so far.

A couple of things I noticed:
- after sign in it hangs checking for updates and fails. Hitting cancel works though.
- Tried to setup 2nd user account fort my daughter managed through Google Family Link and it failed (tried multiple things with no success).
- installed YouTube and YouTube kids, no video just audio.
- installed Chrome browser through Google Play. YouTube.com works there.

Love the Rom and the updates. Thank you.

klamation

Apr 28, 2011
Nokia Lumia 820
Nokia Lumia 920
I just wanted to add that I tested this on my Fire 7 (sage colour) as well. I got this device well over a year ago, around black friday in 2019, and I never connected it to wifi, so it was on whatever FireOS version it was on. Took me a while to remember how to install it, but with the XDA forum post (https://xdaforums.com/t/fire-7-2019-mustang-unbrick-downgrade-unlock-root.3944365/) I was successful.

I simply upgraded it the first try, which ended up consuming close to 8GB of space, so I went through TWRP and did a format on the storage and reinstalled, which put it down to about 6GB of used space. Not bad, got 10GB free.

Performance is really nice. I haven't fully tested everything yet, and I'm willing to go without a camera (they aren't great anyway), but I love what you did, ggow. Thanks for knowing more than I ever expect to!

Reactions: wjcroft and wiichoo
Jun 3, 2021
Do you have a lk.bin handy for this? Looking into fbtool, for flashing this directly through modified fastboot, need a lk.bin which has secureboot disabled and fastboot enabled, is it possible to compile lineage like this?

wjcroft

Feb 2, 2018
Mount Shasta
lightfield.com
Thanks again @ggow, very impressed. Working great.

[Skip to update below.] Here's one oddity for those with knowledge of different charger compatibility with this Fire. Previously when using FireOS, I could plug into either the Amazon charger (rated 1 amp at 5 volts), or my Motorola charger (rated 2 amp at 5 volts); both worked fine.

Now with Lineage 16 running, it does not like the 2 amp charger, it constantly beeps at me. (Same one-time beep sound as when attaching to a charger, but repeats every second or so.) But if I plug into the Amazon 1 amp charger, no beeps; it likes it. Weird. Neither of these clunky chargers would be considered a modern 'fast' charger. I attached an mp4 showing the Settings / Battery screen when it was beeping.

[Update on August 8, 2021: I figured out the source of the beeping. It was my long USB cord from the charger to the Fire. Replaced that with a one meter cord, and now all is fine, no beeps with either the 2 amp or 1 amp charger. My guess is that the Lineage charge monitor code is doing more current monitoring than FireOS did. And is trying to alert in the case of anomalies detected, such as unexpectedly low amperage. With the short cord and the 2 amp charger, I indeed am getting about 8 to 9 watts charge power (by my usb meter) with Lineage. No issues.]

Attachments

• constant beeps during charging.mp4
    10.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: astrononix3000

wjcroft

Feb 2, 2018
Mount Shasta
lightfield.com
re: question on safety of flashing latest Magisk zip over @ggow 's Lineage 16

I followed the unlock, TWRP and install process that @ggow described on an earlier post:

However that specific thread above was related to a FireOS downgrade (Android 7.1) and TWRP / Magisk install. Since the Magisk linked there was targeted at Nougat, I skipped the Magisk install and just flashed the Lineage 16 instead.

Is it safe to download and flash the latest Magisk zip and have TWRP flash that on top of my existing Lineage 16?

I do understand that this particular TWRP has a patch specific to Fire 7, and so any future upgrades of Magisk need to happen from TWRP and not the Magisk Manager.

Is anyone on this thread successfully using Magisk with Fire 7 [mustang] Lineage 16?

Regards, William

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
re: question on safety of flashing latest Magisk zip over @ggow 's Lineage 16

I followed the unlock, TWRP and install process that @ggow described on an earlier post:

However that specific thread above was related to a FireOS downgrade (Android 7.1) and TWRP / Magisk install. Since the Magisk linked there was targeted at Nougat, I skipped the Magisk install and just flashed the Lineage 16 instead.

Is it safe to download and flash the latest Magisk zip and have TWRP flash that on top of my existing Lineage 16?

I do understand that this particular TWRP has a patch specific to Fire 7, and so any future upgrades of Magisk need to happen from TWRP and not the Magisk Manager.

Is anyone on this thread successfully using Magisk with Fire 7 [mustang] Lineage 16?

Regards, William
yes, just dont update from magisk.

Reactions: wjcroft

Nazo

Jan 7, 2008
So I just decided to do a clean install because I want to do a MicroG only build this time around and I grabbed the most current version (dated March 12.) I think this is the same one I had installed before actually. After installing, the only difference from the previous install would, therefore, be that I did not flash OpenGapps. (I haven't attempted installing any MicroG stuff yet.) When I boot it up for the first time, after doing the initial setup stuff (LAN and etc) I get a warning that SELinux is not enforcing. I really don't remember it being off before and certainly I received no warnings about it being such, so I'm wondering if I just somehow missed it being off before or if something somehow went wrong during this specific installation. I know it was signed with testing keys, but shouldn't SELinux still be able to function?

Was it just always disabled and I just simply never saw it before? I get that it's signed with test keys, but does that mean SELinux can't be set to enforcing at all?

Thanks again @ggow, very impressed. Working great.

Here's one oddity for those with knowledge of different charger compatibility with this Fire. Previously when using FireOS, I could plug into either the Amazon charger (rated 1 amp at 5 volts), or my Motorola charger (rated 2 amp at 5 volts); both worked fine.

Now with Lineage 16 running, it does not like the 2 amp charger, it constantly beeps at me. (Same one-time beep sound as when attaching to a charger, but repeats every second or so.) But if I plug into the Amazon 1 amp charger, no beeps; it likes it. Weird. Neither of these clunky chargers would be considered a modern 'fast' charger. I attached an mp4 showing the Settings / Battery screen when it was beeping.
Have you checked the voltage output? In many cases with a power supply, if it's not at all under load (and below 50% can potentially qualify -- especially if it is not well made) its voltage will be higher versus when it is under load. The Fire 7 isn't really designed to make heavy usage of fast charging functions nor heavy current usage, so even under full load likely doesn't push a 2 amp power supply very hard. It occurs to me that it may be exceeding the amount of tolerance and it might be activating voltage protection, cutting off the charge. I haven't measured its actual current usages, but I suspect it's actually well below 1a really.

PS. Sorry to hear about the flood. I hope everything has worked out ok.

Last edited:

wjcroft

Feb 2, 2018
Mount Shasta
lightfield.com

Have you checked the voltage output? In many cases with a power supply, if it's not at all under load (and below 50% can potentially qualify -- especially if it is not well made) its voltage will be higher versus when it is under load. The Fire 7 isn't really designed to make heavy usage of fast charging functions nor heavy current usage, so even under full load likely doesn't push a 2 amp power supply very hard. It occurs to me that it may be exceeding the amount of tolerance and it might be activating voltage protection, cutting off the charge. I haven't measured its actual current usages, but I suspect it's actually well below 1a really.

[see my edited original post with the beep video above, original date July 12. Issue was solved.]

Hi Nazo, thanks for the thoughtful reply. However my 5V 2A charger is a quality unit. OEM charger from Motorola / Lenovo. It charged the Fire 7 just fine when it was running the original Fire OS from Amazon. Only started beeping like this when the Fire 7 was converted to Lineage OS 16. So I very much doubt is an issue with voltage. May be that the newer OS does not limit current, whereas Fire OS did.

I also have a duplicate of this charger, same exact specs. It causes beeping similarly now. Whereas before it did not with FireOS.

As soon as I use the original Amazon 5V 1A charger, beeping stops.

William

Last edited:

Nazo

Jan 7, 2008
I didn't mean to imply (and tried very hard not to) that quality was the only determining factor in voltage output of a power supply, though things like brand/etc aren't actually a guarantee of quality either. (It's about how it's actually built. I've seen some very reputable brands produce some not very good power supplies including one that literally smelled like something burning when I used it by Samsung.) It's worth noting they generally don't even have the means to make their own power supplies and they actually rebrand something made by another company for them. Anyway, I was merely hypothesizing a possible explanation. You can check the actual voltage output to see what it's doing if you're curious -- or not as you will. It may not be that at all, just it is a common thing in power supplies as a whole. As for the ROMs, it may be the stock ROM manages voltage via QC or etc better, whereas this just gets the default generic USB output (which isn't even guaranteed to be accurate above 500mA by original standards) without any management.

EDIT: I got curious and tested it. It seems with the screen on and battery charging (but without pushing things hard in other ways) the current was only about 400mA. That definitely could be a fair bit lower than a power supply intended for fast charging would expect.

Last edited:

hoppi05

Mar 14, 2010
Hi all, I am new to the frustrations of this fire tablet HD7 we have bought but not to Andriod and rooting etc. all be it this seems to be the most complicated root process yet... I am wanting to know if my assumption is right and save myself a lot of time, my version details are below and i am assuming this is one of the newer generation ones that cannot be rooted and stock android flashed?

Tablet Codename: mustang
FireOS Version: 7.3.1.9
Android Version: 9.0
Security Patch: 2018-10-05
Chipset: MT8163

If anyone knows if it is possible to root and flash a new rom on this spec device i will start to read up and do so.

thanks in advance all.

Nazo

Jan 7, 2008
This isn't really the thread for that, but in a worst case the Mustang model is vulnerable to a hardware exploit, so it should be moddable one way or another.

Oct 2, 2020
So, and I'm probably being a total nOOb, because its been like 3 years since I got / rooted my Mustang F7, but I just need to:

- titanium and nandroid backup (though there is no backup button in my version of TWRP for some reason);
- factory reset;
- flash los16 via TWRP (from a USB OTG card)
- then re flash magisk (via twrp) to keep root;
- then flash gapps via twrp?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: This ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required). This will be fixed in a later update.

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg where possible
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Downloads
    - Lineage-16.0 for Amazon Fire 7 (mustang)

Source Code

Thanks
    - @k4y0z and @xyz` for the bootloader hack
    - LineageOS

I'm having the same issue. I can't play YouTube in the app, on Firefox, or in NewPipe. I also can't play videos on cnn.com in Firefox. Setting the format to webp in NewPipe does fix it though.
    Added video playback to the todo list
    ⏱ Change log / Release Notes

29 January 2022

- [Build] Dated 25 January 2022
    - [fixed] Cameras not working at all

12 March 2021
    - [fixed] Can't sign into google
    - [fixed] Built in browser does not work

15 February 2021
    - Initial Release
    🛠 Worklist / Tasks

- [fixed] Bluetooth works