[ROM][testing][mustang] Lineage-16.0 [25 Jan 2022]

Search This thread

douginoz

Jan 18, 2007
Melbourne
For those wondering if they can install this on their latest tablet, I had the latest stock Fire OS rom, 7.3.2.1 installed on a Fire 7 version 9, M8S26G model.
I used the hw method to unlock the tablet, then installed twrp 3.3.1-0, lineage-16.0-20210312-UNOFFICIAL-mustang.zip, and gapps.

The latest (as of this writing) gapps, namely
open_gapps-arm-9.0-nano-20211028.zip
open_gapps-arm-9.0-mini-20211028.zip
open_gapps-arm-9.0-stock-20211028.zip

Don't work with this ROM, but the previous one from 20211021 (at least, the nano (speed good), stock (unusably slow), and mini ones) do.
I'll continue testing but so far, the setup app is working ok.

Last edited:

douginoz

Jan 18, 2007
Melbourne
A couple of things I noticed missing from the Settings app. When you enable developer mode, the developer menu item doesn't appear. Also, the Multiple Users menu item isn't there. Both can be searched for within Settings.
I also tried installing Plex but no videos play even though I used that other app to enable WebM as default. I suspect Plex ignores that anyway. I also tried configuring Plex to use an external video player and installed vlc. Nothing played.
This is on Lineage-16.0 12 Mar 2021 version.

Reactions: astrononix3000

dathappy

Feb 8, 2009
Thanks for making LineageOS work on the Fire 7. It's so much faster now.
@ggow
Since you already fixed the cameras, I was wondering if there's any chance to get a release with this fix?
I'd love to use it with the motion detection feature of the fully kiosk browser.

Reactions: astrononix3000

illfell58

Jul 23, 2019
For those wondering if they can install this on their latest tablet, I had the latest stock Fire OS rom, 7.3.2.1 installed on a Fire 7 version 9, M8S26G model.
I used the hw method to unlock the tablet, then installed twrp 3.3.1-0, lineage-16.0-20210312-UNOFFICIAL-mustang.zip, and gapps.

The latest (as of this writing) gapps, namely
open_gapps-arm-9.0-nano-20211028.zip
open_gapps-arm-9.0-mini-20211028.zip
open_gapps-arm-9.0-stock-20211028.zip

Don't work with this ROM, but the previous one from 20211021 (at least, the nano (speed good), stock (unusably slow), and mini ones) do.
I'll continue testing but so far, the setup app is working ok.
Hi, I also have the same tablet hardware version as you with fire os 7.3.2.1. I've been trying to perform the hardware unlock method with the contact point suggested in the main post but the script gives me an error every time. Did you use one of the other three pads?

The full terminal message I get is:

sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
[2021-11-25 00:15:12.317302] Waiting for bootrom
[2021-11-25 00:15:22.883141] Found port = /dev/ttyACM0
[2021-11-25 00:15:22.922628] Handshake

* * * If you have a short attached, remove it now * * *
* * * Press Enter to continue * * *

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 161, in <module>
main()
File "main.py", line 82, in main
load_payload(dev, "../brom-payload/build/payload.bin")
File "/mnt/SEAGATE2000/Android Files/Android Custom ROMs/Fire 7 2019 Unlock/amonet-mustang/modules/load_payload.py", line 99, in load_payload
dev.write32(0x10007008, 0x1971) # low-level watchdog kick
File "/mnt/SEAGATE2000/Android Files/Android Custom ROMs/Fire 7 2019 Unlock/amonet-mustang/modules/common.py", line 147, in write32
self.check(self.dev.read(2), b'\x00\x01') # arg check
File "/mnt/SEAGATE2000/Android Files/Android Custom ROMs/Fire 7 2019 Unlock/amonet-mustang/modules/common.py", line 84, in check
raise RuntimeError("ERROR: Serial protocol mismatch")
RuntimeError: ERROR: Serial protocol mismatch

It seems to work for a second after the "Press Enter to continue" message but then it spits out an error once I press the key.

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Hi, I also have the same tablet hardware version as you with fire os 7.3.2.1. I've been trying to perform the hardware unlock method with the contact point suggested in the main post but the script gives me an error every time. Did you use one of the other three pads?

The full terminal message I get is:

sudo ./bootrom-step.sh
[2021-11-25 00:15:12.317302] Waiting for bootrom
[2021-11-25 00:15:22.883141] Found port = /dev/ttyACM0
[2021-11-25 00:15:22.922628] Handshake

* * * If you have a short attached, remove it now * * *
* * * Press Enter to continue * * *

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 161, in <module>
main()
File "main.py", line 82, in main
load_payload(dev, "../brom-payload/build/payload.bin")
File "/mnt/SEAGATE2000/Android Files/Android Custom ROMs/Fire 7 2019 Unlock/amonet-mustang/modules/load_payload.py", line 99, in load_payload
dev.write32(0x10007008, 0x1971) # low-level watchdog kick
File "/mnt/SEAGATE2000/Android Files/Android Custom ROMs/Fire 7 2019 Unlock/amonet-mustang/modules/common.py", line 147, in write32
self.check(self.dev.read(2), b'\x00\x01') # arg check
File "/mnt/SEAGATE2000/Android Files/Android Custom ROMs/Fire 7 2019 Unlock/amonet-mustang/modules/common.py", line 84, in check
raise RuntimeError("ERROR: Serial protocol mismatch")

It seems to work for a second after the "Press Enter to continue" message but then it spits out an error once I press the key.
This isn't the correct place to discuss about the unlock. You should ask for help here.
Code:
Means the tablet was in Preloader Mode (08ed:2000) when you tried the script so probably you have a patched (HW) revision which prevents you from triggering bootROM mode.

illfell58

Jul 23, 2019
This isn't the correct place to discuss about the unlock. You should ask for help here.
Directly asking the person who seemed to have hands on experience sounded like the fastest option, my bad. Since I imagined that the hardware method wouldn't work I was surprised to see another person with seemingly the same device having gotten the exploit to work. I'll ask there too.
Means the tablet was in Preloader Mode (08ed:2000) when you tried the script so probably you have a patched (HW) revision which prevents you from triggering bootROM mode.
Do I have any other option? From your post it sounds like I'm out of luck. Any guesses as to how douginoz managed to get it to work if the devices have the same model number though? Or is the model number kept even after the hardware undergoes a revision?

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Directly asking the person who seemed to have hands on experience sounded like the fastest option, my bad. Since I imagined that the hardware method wouldn't work I was surprised to see another person with seemingly the same device having gotten the exploit to work. I'll ask there too.

Do I have any other option? From your post it sounds like I'm out of luck. Any guesses as to how douginoz managed to get it to work if the devices have the same model number though? Or is the model number kept even after the hardware undergoes a revision?
Im not sure if model number has something to do actually. But yeah, if it's a patched HW revision nothing can be done (at the moment). If it's not a patched HW unit, all I can say is keep trying and make sure you're shorting the correct pin + you're using something conductive.

illfell58

Jul 23, 2019
Im not sure if model number has something to do actually. But yeah, if it's a patched HW revision nothing can be done (at the moment). If it's not a patched HW unit, all I can say is keep trying and make sure you're shorting the correct pin + you're using something conductive.
I see. Any way to definitively identify which hardware revision I have? The only information the PCB has on it says "A1926_MB_PCB_V7" on top of the battery connector.

dathappy

Feb 8, 2009
I had issue with notifications being delayed. Since I don't use messaging on the tablet I can't say if the messaging app would be affected too. For me it was Home Assistant and my Doorbell.

I tried disabling the battery saving feature for those two apps as well as some other system apps which sounded like it could help. I also checked via ADB to make sure the apps are whitelisted.
Unfortunately it did not work, so I disabled deep sleep altogether (adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable).
Now notifications come in as expected and battery drain did not increase noticeably.

Sep 14, 2020
In a post on another topic you said that meanwhile you just concentrate on 14.1 development. So would you recommend to install the discontinued version of 14.1 from now on as you will update it sooner or later again? Or did you mean it any different?

keeepinitgansta

May 15, 2007
I've got youtube (vanced) working fine on this lineage 16 build but am having issues with Wifi staying connected and the constant wifi searching is draining the battery fast.

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Hello, hope everyone is well.
I haven't got a mustang tablet at the moment. They were damaged in the flood that happened.

I have done a build which should fix the cameras, would someone be willing to test it for me before releasing it?
Let me know if you're willing to test and I'll message you with the link on PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: wjcroft

Graysters

Dec 2, 2013
Hi ggow! Great to see you back!

I'm assuming this Is this just for mustang, or could it work on austin?

(I can help on austin, but sadly no mustang unit here either!)

Cheers,

Graham

Oct 2, 2020
I have a mustang unit (well my daughter does) in a pretty minimally set-up state after leaving L14 because of the black screen issue - presumably its just a case of flashing the rom and gapps via twrp?

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
I have a mustang unit (well my daughter does) in a pretty minimally set-up state after leaving L14 because of the black screen issue - presumably its just a case of flashing the rom and gapps via twrp?
Should be able to just dirty flash the rom if you previously flashed opengapps. I'll PM you the link.

keeepinitgansta

May 15, 2007
Hello, hope everyone is well.
I haven't got a mustang tablet at the moment. They were damaged in the flood that happened.

I have done a build which should fix the cameras, would someone be willing to test it for me before releasing it?
Let me know if you're willing to test and I'll message you with the link on PM.
I can test the camera build as well if you'd like.

Would you be able to look at the unstable wifi issue by any chance?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: This ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required). This will be fixed in a later update.

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg where possible
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Downloads
    - Lineage-16.0 for Amazon Fire 7 (mustang)

Source Code

Thanks
    - @k4y0z and @xyz` for the bootloader hack
    - LineageOS
    Got this working on my fire 7. Pretty amazing!
    Having issues with YouTube playback with new pipe though. Setting default video format to WebM seems to fix it. Playback also doesn't work in Firefox.

I'm having the same issue. I can't play YouTube in the app, on Firefox, or in NewPipe. I also can't play videos on cnn.com in Firefox. Setting the format to webp in NewPipe does fix it though.
    Added video playback to the todo list
    ⏱ Change log / Release Notes

29 January 2022

- [Build] Dated 25 January 2022
    - [fixed] Cameras not working at all

12 March 2021
    - [fixed] Can't sign into google
    - [fixed] Built in browser does not work

15 February 2021
    - Initial Release
    🛠 Worklist / Tasks

- [fixed] Bluetooth works
    - [fixed] WiFi working
    - [fixed] Audio works
    - [done] Sensors working
    - [fixed] Touch sounds are working
    - [done] Test audio format playback - mp3 working
    - [done] Tested video playback with NewPipe which is working
    - [fixed] No adb during boot
    - [done] Wired headphones working
    - [fixed] Built in browser does not work
    - [fixed] Can't sign into google

- [todo] Magisk update by app
    - [todo] Support aptX-HD encoder for bluetooth

- [todo] Cameras not working at all
    - [todo] Youtube, NewPipe, video playback
    @ggow , can we expect a similar ROM for the older FIRE devices, like Ford?

I think it's possible, been looking into it. However it may result in loss of cameras and other functionality at least in the short term.

I'm wanting to get all the amazon devices I work on onto lineage-16.0, easier to work on one rom for all.