[ROM][testing][suez] Lineage-16.0 [05 JULY 2022]

Search This thread

FirstEver

Jul 18, 2013
London
www.firstever.eu
1. I think both ways work,
2. but for a clean install i've made the best experiences with wiping all partitions (besides micro sd card) and formatting data partition from TWRP first.
If you wanna be extra sure the install works fine, also use the repair partition function in TWRP for every partition possible.
From ADB the risk of accidentially erasing a partition or getting mount problems during the installation is a bit higher in my experience, when you clean up partitions (unless you know exactly what you're doing).
If you wanna use an encrypted data partition, i think updating TWRP first is the way.

To 3.: Up to TWRP version 3.6.1-9.0 Magisk should work fine. If you install Magisk with TWRP 3.6.1-9.2, it leads to a bootloop. It's possible to make it work, but more complicated. AFAIK TWRP 3.6.1-9.2 supports usb-otg and MTP, so if you don't need that and are installing the ROM just from an external sd card, you could stay on TWRP 3.6.1-9.0.
If you only need root access and no magisk modules (or wanna post logcats which ggow accepts ;-) ), alternatively you could use the ROM's built in su (i think it's the LineageOS su addon).

4. opengapps 9 arm64 pico is fail safest.
Just Netflix and Disney+ installation is a bit more complicated then (either magisk safetynet mod and using props way or direct download from apkmirror.com)
If you need more space on system partition you could use my script to delete system apps: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-0-05-july-2022.4232785/page-34#post-87282103
I also tried bitgapps and bitgapps microg before, which also work if you do a clean install of the ROM each time. But in case you wanna do dirty ROM updates later, other guys here have reported problems with bitgapps after doing a dirty flash of a new ROM version, which seem to have to do with some boot scripts of bitgapps.
Aurora store and pure microg setup also kind of works as a basic setup for using apps from playstore (this rom has the possibility of enabling signature spoofing which you need for microg to work properly).
Thank you it works.

Can you do a script to extend system partition in TWRP? I used something similar for my Nexus 5, but that probably required a modified TWRP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...rtition-hammerhead-16gb-32gb-ua-twrp.3844395/

UPDATE
After using your cleaning script then installing GApps Pico, then installing other missing Google apps like Pixel Launcher (only 5MB), Gboard, Clock etc and moving them to System partition (still 100MB free space) - I loaded it with tons of educational games for my 3 years old child - here's a summary:
  • Google Family Link - works well with more options available than on Android 5.1 [GOOD]
  • Disney Colouring World - works well [GOOD]
  • LEGO DUPLO WORLD - works well [GOOD]
  • LEGO SUPER MARIO - 3D works well but video playback is choppy/buggy [NEED A SMALL FIX]
  • Khan Academy Kids - works well [GOOD]
  • Colouring book: games for kids - some glitches when the screen wakes up [NEED A SMALL FIX]
  • PAW Patrol Rescue World - lower FPS than on previous ROM, occasional small glitches and crashes [NEED A FIX]
  • Endless Alphabet/Numbers/Reader/Spanish/Wordplay- all works well [GOOD]
  • YT Kids - works well [GOOD]
I installed this ROM because the LEGO Super Mario App required a newer Android to run - the kid is happy and I will test future builds. Thank you for your work!

Last edited:

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Error report for current ROM 20220705 and Netflix app:
Netflix stops playing videos after like 23 minutes and reports an error. Closing the Netflix app and restarting it doesn't help, no more videos are played. Only fix is reboot of LOS.
Logcat shows OMX errors or something like that. See attached logs.

Tested this on one setup with opengapps and current Netflix app from Google playstore, and a second time with clean install of the ROM with direct install of latest netflix beta apk 8.37 from apkmirror.com, no gapps, no magisk, just f-droid, matlog libre, CPU info and Netflix app (and in LOS quick settings Power Saving enabled, Sync off, LiveDisplay off, and developer options on and su for apps enabled because of matlog). Logs were recorded with that clean install setup.

Edit:
Also tested this with previous ROM version 20220506
and Netflix app versions 8.37, 8.34, 7.120.3
Same error there after like 23mins playing a video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220823-203915_MatLog_Libre.png
    Screenshot_20220823-203915_MatLog_Libre.png
    313.6 KB · Views: 42
  • logs-2022-08-23-20-36-54.zip
    123.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: ggow

Mlinko6

Apr 10, 2020
Hi all,

Thank you for all the effort! The build ist just amazing and the tablet works like a charm!

Is there any information about when the overheating problem will be fixed or what can I do to try to avoid it?

The tablet is mainly used for my son to play the cartoons over plex :).

What I also noticed, when playing youtube videos the video starts to “shake” does anybody has the same issue?
I also have an issue playing videos over chrome - they are good for a while but then they zoom to like 200% and I can only see one part of it. (Imagine that a screen is devided to four equal parts (2 - top und 2 - down) then I only see the top left part) does someone has the same issue?

Thank you!! Keep up the awesome work!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ggow

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Hi all,

Thank you for all the effort! The build ist just amazing and the tablet works like a charm!

Is there any information about when the overheating problem will be fixed or what can I do to try to avoid it?

The tablet is mainly used for my son to play the cartoons over plex :).

What I also noticed, when playing youtube videos the video starts to “shake” does anybody has the same issue?
I also have an issue playing videos over chrome - they are good for a while but then they zoom to like 200% and I can only see one part of it. (Imagine that a screen is devided to four equal parts (2 - top und 2 - down) then I only see the top left part) does someone has the same issue?

Thank you!! Keep up the awesome work!!
See in my posting here (after the installation steps) to reduce the overheating problems/probability:

Reactions: ggow and Mlinko6

droidjunkie

See in my posting here (after the installation steps) to reduce the overheating problems/probability:
The easiest way to “solve” the over heating issue, which is two of the cpu cores being pegged at 100% for some reason, is to reboot the device.

Every time I boot my tablet I open up a terminal emulator and run “htop” to check if any of the cores are being pegged at 100% if they are I reboot and it seems to “fix” the issue.

Also if you go back to page 32, I think, I have a post that lists steps on how to install magisk, have it work fine AND have the latest twrp recovery. There is also a post about using bitgapps instead of opengapps and not running into the “not enough space” issue without having to delete system apps or repartitioning the tablet.

Last edited:

Mlinko6

Apr 10, 2020
The easiest way to “solve” the over heating issue, which is two of the cpu cores being pegged at 100% for some reason, is to reboot the device.

Every time I boot my tablet I open up a terminal emulator and run “htop” to check if any of the cores are being pegged at 100% if they are I reboot and it seems to “fix” the issue.

Also if you go back to page 32, I think, I have a post that lists steps on how to install magisk, have it work fine AND have the latest twrp recovery. There is also a post about using bitgapps instead of opengapps and not running into the “not enough space” issue without having to delete system apps or repartitioning the tablet.
Thx for the Info!

I figured that out already but it’s a bit annoying if you need to do that every 15-20min (reboot) if you’re watching a movie over Plex.

It is also an issue with Plex (I don’t know if it’s heat related) but it shows an error and the tablet needs to be rebooted after that - to be able to continue.

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
Thx for the Info!

I figured that out already but it’s a bit annoying if you need to do that every 15-20min (reboot) if you’re watching a movie over Plex.

It is also an issue with Plex (I don’t know if it’s heat related) but it shows an error and the tablet needs to be rebooted after that - to be able to continue.
ive been using 12.1 and plex seems to work fine on that build fyi.
are you using the app or web interface?

droidjunkie

Thx for the Info!

You should only need to reboot once to get rid of the CPU cores stuck at 100% issue. Sounds like you are having an issue with plex

blue-screen

Nov 19, 2013
Hi,
I am using the older LineageOS 12.1-20200505-UNOFFICIAL-suez on my FIre 10 with some older TWRP version.
What is the easiest way to upgrade it to LineageOS 16, without bricking this tablet?

1. Flash new TWRP image using old TWRP? [DONE]
2. Wipe Data, Cache, System partitions in TWRP and install new ROM? [DONE]
3. Does the latest Magisk works with this ROM? [DONE]
4. What GApps version I can use? (probably the system partition is very small). [ERROR 70]

Is is possible to install GApps on this ROM without changing the size of System partition size?
I tested PICO, NANO and MICRO and always see ERROR 70.

Thanks!
I ended up resizing the partition to make it big enough for gapps as shown by @Kate6 , or you can debloat the image with the scripts provided by @psi78.

See this post for relevant links.

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
You should only need to reboot once to get rid of the CPU cores stuck at 100% issue. Sounds like you are having an issue with plex
could be a similar issue to the netflix issue i posted logs to some days ago.
Netflix stops playing videos after 23 mins, logcat showing OMX errors for this ROM, only fix is reboot. CPU cores are in a normal state then, powering down normally, and CPU temperatures also normal.
So @Mlinko6 try to post logcat here (use matlog app for example, makes it easier)

Last edited:

blue-screen

Nov 19, 2013
I have successfully installed this.

Since I had a very updated HD10 (5.7.8.2, I think), the bundled amonet root and mtksu failed, and I had to use kingoroot, after which the amonet scripts worked.

I had to repartition the system partition (13) to get a version of gapps installed.

I also didn't realize that using TWRP to unpack the Lineage image sets formats the partition to the image size, so I had to use resize2fs to expand the filesystem to the full partition size before I could install gapps. Any time you use TWRP to install the image again, you will need to run resizee2fs.

Mindthegapps did not install for some reason, I ended up using opengapps.

So the sequence:
  • Repartition 13 14 and 15
  • Wipe cache and userdata (14 and 15)
  • Install Lineage 16
  • resize2fs partition 13 to expand to the partition boundary
  • Install gapps
  • Reboot, and go through the setup.
I may wipe and restart again, and make the system partition even larger than @Kate6 's example.

Good times, good times.

Weirdly, Google reports the device as a Galaxy S9.

Last edited:

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Error report for current ROM 20220705 and Netflix app:
Netflix stops playing videos after like 23 minutes and reports an error. Closing the Netflix app and restarting it doesn't help, no more videos are played. Only fix is reboot of LOS.
Logcat shows OMX errors or something like that. See attached logs.

Tested this on one setup with opengapps and current Netflix app from Google playstore, and a second time with clean install of the ROM with direct install of latest netflix beta apk 8.37 from apkmirror.com, no gapps, no magisk, just f-droid, matlog libre, CPU info and Netflix app (and in LOS quick settings Power Saving enabled, Sync off, LiveDisplay off, and developer options on and su for apps enabled because of matlog). Logs were recorded with that clean install setup.

Edit:
Also tested this with previous ROM version 20220506
and Netflix app versions 8.37, 8.34, 7.120.3
Same error there after like 23mins playing a video.
I just noted that in the Disney+ app the Video stops playing after 23 minutes too (sound still playing). However restarting the Video or closing the app helps there (in contrast to when this happens in Netflix app). Tested this with a clean install of the ROM, Disney+ app from apkmirror.com, no magisk, no gapps (but happened also with a opengapps installation and Disney+ installed from playstore)
CPU cores and temperatures where normal.

Last edited:

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
I will be trying this ROM this weekend after I get my root and TWRP installed and working on my new suez I just ordered from work for only $35! Stoked to finally have a fire tablet again! Thanks OP for the restarted work on this! Much appreciated, haven't done any modding for years! Fingers crossed 🤞🙏

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
I have successfully installed this.

Since I had a very updated HD10, the bundled amonet root and mtksu failed, and I had to use kingoroot, after which the amonet scripts worked.

I had to repartition the system parition (13) to get a version of gapps installed.

I also didn't realize that using TWRP to unpack the Lineage image sets formats the parition to the image size, so I had to use resize2fs to expand the filesystem to the full parition size before I could install gapps.

Mindthegapps did not install for some reason, I ended up using opengapps.

So the sequence:
  • Repartition 13 14 and 15
  • Wipe cache and userdata (14 and 15)
  • Install Lineage 16
  • resize2fs partition 13 to expand to the partition boundary
  • Install gapps
  • Reboot, and go through the setup.
I may wipe and restart again, and make the system partition even larger than @Kate6 's example.

Good times, good times.

Weirdly, Google reports the device as a Galaxy S9.
Very updated HD10 meaning stock FireOS out of box? Or what? I just got mine out of box and have 5.6.9.0 and it's trying to update to 5.7.0.0

Did you have to downgrade to install this?
Just wondering the first steps...

blue-screen

Nov 19, 2013
Very updated HD10 meaning stock FireOS out of box? Or what? I just got mine out of box and have 5.6.9.0 and it's trying to update to 5.7.0.0

I didn't take note of the version, but it is whatever the latest version was at that date of the posting. I had used the HD10 regularly until I noticed it no longer supported the current version of Alexa.

I did not downgrade. So presumably it was 5.7.8.2 released in 2019.

Any any rate, looks like 5.6.4.0 is the last version that can do mtksu, according to

I had to resort to

IIRC, I used the Kingo method.

Reactions: PowSniffer0110

rlowens

Dec 1, 2016
I had my HD 10 updated to the current FireOS as-of Sep 4th when I gave up on getting the last version of Vanced to install ("Parse Error : There is a problem parsing the package") because the one-step-older version stopped working with YouTube.

Here's the steps I used:

1. I used these instructions up to step 8 to get temporary root (since I didn't want to use Kingo which looked like the only other method I could see) https://github.com/3ch01c/3ch01c.gi...-to-setup-amazon-fire-hd10.md#root-the-tablet

2. Then used https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-fire-hd-10-2017-suez.3913639/ to get twrp installed

3. I used the steps at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-testing-suez-lineage-16-0-05-july-2022.4232785/post-87282103 to get this ROM installed.

I still do have the known problems with this ROM (cores 3-4 not sleeping sometimes so you have to reboot and check with CPU Info, Wifi dies every ~20-40min so I have to toggle Wifi off/on and restart my video, Vanced/YouTube video image zooms into top-quarter of video after a few seconds so I have to try different resolutions to get it working).

Not great, but better than nothing.

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
I had my HD 10 updated to the current FireOS as-of Sep 4th when I gave up on getting the last version of Vanced to install ("Parse Error : There is a problem parsing the package") because the one-step-older version stopped working with YouTube.

Here's the steps I used:

1. I used these instructions up to step 8 to get temporary root (since I didn't want to use Kingo which looked like the only other method I could see) https://github.com/3ch01c/3ch01c.gi...-to-setup-amazon-fire-hd10.md#root-the-tablet

2. Then used https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-fire-hd-10-2017-suez.3913639/ to get twrp installed

3. I used the steps at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-testing-suez-lineage-16-0-05-july-2022.4232785/post-87282103 to get this ROM installed.

I still do have the known problems with this ROM (cores 3-4 not sleeping sometimes so you have to reboot and check with CPU Info, Wifi dies every ~20-40min so I have to toggle Wifi off/on and restart my video, Vanced/YouTube video image zooms into top-quarter of video after a few seconds so I have to try different resolutions to get it working).

Not great, but better than nothing.
I'm back on LOS 12 for Suez at the moment, no video playing and cpu core problems there (Netflix 7.x app and latest Disney app from Playstore work fine there).
For Youtube there are alternatives in fdroid store.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Netflix and Disney is playing at 1024p, can you confirm the widevine status ?
    Only L3 / Max. SD resolution stated in Netflix 7 App for LOS12.1 (like on LOS16). DRM Check - DRM Info app reports Widevine DRM Level1, but Security L3, so L3 in the end i guess. But Netflix on LOS12.1 at least playing longer than 23 mins without having to reboot. Hope ggow fixes it though in the times when the baby is sleeping😆

I didn't take note of the version, but it is whatever the latest version was at that date of the posting. I had used the HD10 regularly until I noticed it no longer supported the current version of Alexa.

I did not downgrade. So presumably it was 5.7.8.2 released in 2019.

Any any rate, looks like 5.6.4.0 is the last version that can do mtksu, according to

I had to resort to

IIRC, I used the Kingo method.
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: This ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack. See <<< HERE >>> to unlock your devices.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required). This will be fixed in a later update.

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg where possible

Lastest TWRP version
    - 3.6.1-9.2

Downloads

- Google Drive

Source Code

Thanks
    - @k4y0z and @xyz` for the bootloader hack
    - @k4y0z for the initial kernel
    - LineageOS
    🛠 Worklist / Tasks

- [fixed] Bluetooth works
    - [fixed] Audio works
    - [fixed] Internal storage isn't accessible from any app
    - [done] Sensors working
    - [fixed] Touch sounds are working
    - [done] Test audio format playback - mp3 working
    - [done] Tested video playback with NewPipe which is working
    - [fixed] WiFi signal strength not working
    - [done] Support aptX-HD encoder for bluetooth
    - [fixed] No adb during boot
    - [fixed] WiFi working
    - [fixed] Navbar icon corruption
    - [fixed] Wallpaper corruption
    - [fixed] Laggy graphics
    - [fixed] High cpu usage
    - [fixed] DRM not working
    - [fixed] Hardware OMX (for the most part)
    - [fixed] Wired headphones not working
    - [done] Enable OTG USB for ethernet
    - [fixed] Youtube black screen with audio
    - [fixed] MtkOmxCore crash
    - [fixed] Battery showing wrong capacity - reported here
    - [fixed] "There's an internal problem with your device." dialog
    - [fixed] SIM card prompt
    - [fixed] Chrome cannot access internal storage
    - [fixed] Poor WiFi throughput (potential cause of choppy video playback)
    - [fixed] Disney app crashing (more info here)
    - [fixed] Speakers continuing to play while headphones are plugged in
    - [fixed] Cannot switch wifi on after storage encryption enabled
    - [hold] Bluetooth not working properly - can't see issue here
    - [fixed] Magisk update by app
    - [fixed] Storage permission issues (cause of some apps crashing)
    - [done] Upstreamed kernel
    - [todo] TWRP: USB-OTG not working
    - [fixed] USB-OTG Ethernet
    - [fixed] TWRP: MTP access
    - [todo] Voice assist MIC not working
    - [done] Added android.hardware.opengles.aep.xml permissions
    - [fixed] LiveDisplay not working
    - [fixed] Backlight HAL Errors

- [todo] Shutdown after entering sleep mode (suspect cpu/gpu coming up in the wrong state -> overheating)
    - [todo] Gapps > pico causing not enough space error
    - [todo] Youtube black screen with audio
    - [todo] Mirrorcast not working
    - [todo] Multi-user not working
    - [todo] Navbar problem when keyboard is in horizontal mode
    - [todo] Playing videos over SMB failure after 30 min (more info here)
    - [todo] Can't connect to hidden WiFi networks
    - [todo] Lego app not working (more info here)
    - [todo] Cameras not working (more info here)
    - [todo] SELinux
    - [todo] Intermittent high idle cpu usage
    - [todo] Investigate L1 widevine support (L3 currently)
    - [todo] Pass safetynet
    - [todo] Device build fingerprinting
    - [todo] Enable zram?
    - [todo] Device encryption (TWRP)
    - [todo] Battery idle mode
    - [todo] Offline charging mode
    - [todo] Low speaker volume
    - [todo] Thermal Shutoff, overheating
    - [todo] System partition needs to be increased in size to accomodate gapps
    But why OP decided to go back to 14.1?

Never said for suez I was going back to 14.1.
    I will be continuing with lineage-16.0 for suez.
    ℹ️ New Build is Up

Dated: 16 March 2022

- [fixed] Better auto adjust on backlight
    - [fixed] Changed battery capacity to 6300mAh
    - [fixed] sdcard access for chrome and other apps
    - [info] Explicitly enable sdcardfs
    - [info] Refactor root init scripts
    - [info] Remove deprecated storage_list.xml
    - [info] Clean-up build.prop

Download from Google Drive link on OP.
    ⏱ Change log / Release Notes

05 July 2022

- [fixed] Backlight HAL Errors
    - [fixed] LiveDisplay not working

06 May 2022
    - [fixed] Voice assist MIC not working
    - [fixed] USB-OTG Ethernet
    - [fixed] TWRP: MTP access
    - [fixed] TWRP: Fixed USB-OTG
    - [info] Added android.hardware.opengles.aep.xml permissions

13 April 2022
    - [fixed] Terminal input via apps and adb shell

12 April 2022
    - [kernel] Up-streamed to 3.18.140
    - [kernel] Enable per user storage quota
    - [kernel] Optimized build flags for Cortex-a53
    - [kernel] Boeffla Wakelock Blocker Driver v1.1.0
    - [kernel] Enable some TCP congestion algorithms
    - [kernel] Westwood Default TCP congestion algorithm
    - [kernel] Sdcardfs v2.0
    - [info] Remove aptX bluetooth libraries for now
    - [info] Mount /system partition early-mount style
    - [info] Add vendor security patch

06 April 2022
    - [fixed] Fix KernelUidCpuTimeReader errors
    - [info] Revert audio HIDL from 2.0 to 4.0 back to 2.0 - our drivers aren't ready for this
    - [info] Put storage permissions force close on the todo list
    - [info] Chrome browser works
    - [info] Jelly browser works
    - [info] WeDo lego app works

Show Further History

03 April 2022
    - [fixed] Magisk update by app
    - [fixed] Storage permission issues (cause of some apps crashing)
    - [fixed] Lego app not working (more info here)
    - [fixed] Cannot switch wifi on after storage encryption enabled
    - [info] Update suez defconfig in kernel to be more inline with aosp
    - [info] TWRP 3.6.1-9.0 available from Google Drive (no encryption support)
    - [info] Up-rev audio HIDL from 2.0 to 4.0
    - [info] Disabled amazon logging functions in kernel
    - [info] Disabled unused squashfs in kernel
    - [info] Conditionally compile MTK_M4U in the ion kernel driver as our device doesn't use it

27 March 2022
    - [reverted] WiFi changes from previous build
    - [removed] 26 March Build

26 March 2022
    - [fixed] Speakers continuing to play while headphones are plugged in
    - [fixed] Disney+ crashing
    - [didn't work for everyone] Slow WiFi throughtput
    - [didn't work for everyone] 5GHz connectivity to AX-88U router and in general
    - [didn't work for everyone] 5GHz connectivity to across all channels
    - [info] Include Bromite Webview
    - [request] WiFi: Can someone test connecting to hidden SSID's and report back?
    - [request] Magisk: Can someone test whether updating through the application works and report back?

16 March 2022
    - [fixed] Better auto adjust on backlight
    - [fixed] Changed battery capacity to 6300mAh
    - [fixed] sdcard access for chrome and other apps
    - [info] Explicitly enable sdcardfs
    - [info] Refactor root init scripts
    - [info] Remove deprecated storage_list.xml
    - [info] Clean-up build.prop

01 March 2022
    - [info] Re-build of 28 February version

28 February 2022
    - [fixed] DRM Widevine L3 support
    - [new] Signature spoofing (enable and disable via developer options)
    - [fixed] Wired headphones not working
    - [fixed] Backlight HAL crashing
    - [fixed] Hardware OMX (MTK codecs now been used)
    - [info] Disable camera completely until fully investigated to stop logcat spam
    - [info] Enable OTG for ethernet in kernel

07 February 2022
    - [fixed] OMX regression was breaking NewPipe and local video file playback
    - [info] Clean-up amazon binaries - media playback should be better - config file mess

05 February 2022
    - [fixed] Navbar icon corruption
    - [fixed] Wallpaper corruption
    - [fixed] Laggy graphics
    - [fixed] High idle cpu usage
    - [info] Updated amazon binaries to fireos 5.6.9.0

12 February 2021
    - Initial Release