[ROM][testing][suez] Lineage-16.0 [06 MAY 2022]

Search This thread

Klaus R

Aug 25, 2018
Thank you for your excellent advice & suggestions.

One query though - the ROM is pre-rooted isn't it (System > Developer Options > Root Access) so presumably there's no need for Magisk if the only thing required is root access? (seemed to work okay when I installed SmartPack Kernel Manager)
Had magisk installed in the beginning and disabled it due to ggow's wish to have a clean Installation when reporting issues. But all my root needing apps, mainly afwall, are running with developer options

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
I just noted when i was in a terminal running from twrp that a process consumes a lot of cpu, when i did cd /system/xbin and executed ./htop

then with ps -ef| grep (process id)
it showed that a process named recovery is using a lot of cpu resources and it has subprocesses named like [pigz], apparently a variant of gzip.
Does anyone know more about this?
Or anyone with high idle cpu usage has similar processes running?

See screenshot

Edit: ok, apparently twrp has some kind of backup mechanism🤔🤔,
At least in twrp version 3.4.0.0 changelog under the section twrpTar there's pigz mentioned (https://twrp.me/site/update/2020/06/24/twrp-3.4.0-0-released.html)

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_163145.jpg
    IMG_20220512_163145.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Klaus R

Aug 25, 2018
Noticed that viewing any video in any app caused all 4 cores running high... and keeping that state even After stopping video. Maybe that is the reason for my shutdowns later, over heating. I set cpu governor in smart pack from interactive to ondemand. First impression, it helped.

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
I've no idea if turning on 'Battery Saver Mode' actually helps with the CPU overheating problem, but just in case it's useful to others, you can use MacroDroid (or Tasker I guess) to switch on 'Battery Saver Mode' if the temperature is above a certain level (see simple macro image attached).

I'm using 'battery temperature' because CPU temperature isn't available to MacroDroid directly. You could also have the macro power off the tablet (reboot obviously doesn't seem to fix the overheating issue).

The free version of MacroDroid allows upto 5 macros.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220512-161053_MacroDroid.png
    Screenshot_20220512-161053_MacroDroid.png
    92 KB · Views: 39

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
ok, i think my hypotheses regarding compiled code and cpu optimization may have been wrong:
when the cpu load is high on cores 2 and 3, and you enable in Smartpack "schedule workqueue on awake CPUs to save power" then cores 0 and 1 are running on full throttle instead of cpu cores 2 and 3. So probably it's just a part of the system, which is using cpu resources up

Edit: when i deactivated Battery Saver, reproduced high idle cpu usage (core 2 on full throttle and core 3 sometimes on full throttle in idle mode) and used htop from adb shell then it showed two processes of com.android.launcher3 (Trebuchet / the LineageOS launcher) hogging cpu (cpu cores 0 and 2 in that case, sometimes core 3), and sometimes also two processes of system_server

Edit: logcat attached

Edit2: I installed Nova Launcher as launcher and deleted Trebuchet out of /system/priv-app from twrp terminal, but cpu usage of core 2 was still kinda high, and cpu temperature goin up to like 53-55 degrees Celsius in idle mode (with Battery Saver off). With Battery saver on, CPU temp was like 33-35 degrees Celsius in idle mode.

Edit3: Well i guess it's not Trebuchet, but the ROMs opengl renderer causing the high idle cpu usage.
But the weird thing is, it doesn't happen at every boot (with Battery Saver off), sometimes CPU cores 2 and 3 are powering down normally in idle mode then.
Or maybe it's also the defective LiveDisplay / lights service, causing errors in logcat all the time
@ggow do you think it'possible to disable that?

Edit4: Reinstalled with current version of the rom (back on standard installed launcher Trebuchet), no magisk, no gapps, just fdroid, cpu info, duckduckgo browser, ffupdater and update of bromite webview.
Was writing this post, left the tablet for a minute, then not only the screen was off as it shoud be, but the tablet was completely off (or i couldn't turn on the screen anymore), this happened two times in a row. So the service shutting down the screen /possibly in conjunction with the renderer/ may be bugged too

Attachments

• logcat_suez_high_idle_cpu.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
I don't have much experience with these versions of getting root access like supersu or su but there are tools like Root Checker to see if root works properly. I think the root version you mentioned may stem from k4y0z amonet scripts, there's a minisu.img inside that zip, or twrp which maybe contain it's own su version, but i'm not sure about that. Magisk at least reports removing a previous su version when you install it.

Other apps like naptime or matlog also for example will complain if they don't have root permissions (or permissions granted by adb), and they do complain without magisk giving them root access or setting permissions per adb.
Thank you for your excellent advice & suggestions.

One query though - the ROM is pre-rooted isn't it (System > Developer Options > Root Access) so presumably there's no need for Magisk if the only thing required is root access? (seemed to work okay when I installed SmartPack Kernel Manager)
Yeah, you were right, the rom is pre-rooted (/system/xbin/su), activating it in developer options works for granting root to apps or adb

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014

I am looking into the high burn on the surfaceflinger process and thermal stuff in general.

psi78

Feb 22, 2020

I am looking into the high burn on the surfaceflinger process and thermal stuff in general.
The interesting thing is also though, that on another device, my Xperia Z5 with crDroid/Android 11 and MSM8994 chipset with 4x A53 and 4x A57 CPU the Smartpack Kernel Manager shows separate configuration options for the big and little CPUs. It doesn't do on this rom, so the kernel isn't configured/compiled to support the big little setup. I don't know what would be needed to make that work, and
i don't fully understand why you need to stick to gcc 4.9 but, as i wrote in an earlier post it supports at least a57.a53 big little setup. So if the gcc compiled stuff optimized for a53 works also on the a72 in the current state of the rom, then it could be worth a shot to enable the big little setup with the mcpu option, even if the big cpu configuration then is not directly a72.

quote from https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.9/changes.html:
  • Initial big.LITTLE tuning support for the combination of Cortex-A57 and Cortex-A53 was added through the -mcpu=cortex-a57.cortex-a53 option."

Reactions: ggow

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
I also noted btw that /etc/ld.config.txt is very minimal on this rom.
On Maverick with amazon stock rom/android 9 it looks much more complex. In newer versions of android the linker config file is auto generated, but not on android 9 as far as i know. So updating this file could maybe be worth something too🤔

Klaus R

Aug 25, 2018
Concerning my probs videos not shown in any browser... Is it possible this issue refers to bromite web view? All my other lineage devices are using Android Web view. Can I change? If yes, how? Or do I have to update bromite? But where to get it?

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Concerning my probs videos not shown in any browser... Is it possible this issue refers to bromite web view? All my other lineage devices are using Android Web view. Can I change? If yes, how? Or do I have to update bromite? But where to get it?
Easy way to update bromite webview is the app ffupdater (get it on github or fdroid), or download it directly here i guess: https://www.bromite.org/system_web_view

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Thanx. Updated to 10x anything, but it didn't help. Still no vids on some Websites. Any chance to switch to androidwebview?
Yes. It has to be installed as a system app and a user app. Download Android System Webview apk from apkmirror.com and copy the apk to /system/app/ (to do that in twrp: mount system partition first, then you can copy the file with twrp file manager from your internal download folder /sdcard/Download/ to /system/app/). Then after reboot also manually install the apk as a user app.

You could also test your app furthermore by disabling bromite webview in app settings (when it its the only webview), then restart the app you use. If the app doesn't crash then, then it doesn't use bromite webview and the cause is somewhere else.

Duckduckgo browser or german Rossmann app rely on the system's webview for example and will crash if you disable it. Whereas german DM app relies on the default browser (the browser set in settings/apps/standard apps, so lineageos browser Jelly as default on this rom). Some apps also have their own browser engine i think tho.

Last edited:

Klaus R

Aug 25, 2018
Yes. It has to be installed as a system app and a user app. Download Android System Webview apk from apkmirror.com and copy the apk to /system/app/ (to do that in twrp: mount system partition first, then you can copy the file with twrp file manager from your internal download folder /sdcard/Download/ to /system/app/). Then after reboot also manually install the apk as a user app.

You could also test your app furthermore by disabling bromite webview in app settings (when it its the only webview), then restart the app you use. If the app doesn't crash then, then it doesn't use bromite webview and the cause is somewhere else.

Duckduckgo browser or german Rossmann app rely on the system's webview for example and will crash if you disable it. Whereas german DM app relies on the default browser (the browser set in settings/apps/standard apps, so lineageos browser Jelly as default on this rom). Some apps also have their own browser engine i think tho.
Hmm, not a prob with other apps than browser. German webside n-tv.de, e.g.. Lots of videos there, but none is shown

Will give your advice a try... Thanx. Saw each system app has its own directory containing apk file. What name for the new one, "Android system webview"? Or just "Android webview"?

Last edited:

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Hmm, not a prob with other apps than browser. German webside n-tv.de, e.g.. Lots of videos there, but none is shown

Will give your advice a try... Thanx. Saw each system app has its own directory containing apk file. What name for the new one, "Android system webview"? Or just "Android webview"?
Doesn't really matter, you could just put the apk directly inside the folder /system/app, or give the subdirectory and the apk a name like GoogleWebView if you wanna follow the naming schemes. Permissions of the dir should be set to 755 with chmod and 644 for the apk

Klaus R

Aug 25, 2018
Succeeded finally, thanx a lot. Very helpful, your Informations. Changed from bromite to Android Web view in settings, rebooted. But i see it was not the cause for Videos on websites not being shown
Doesn't really matter, you could just put the apk directly inside the folder /system/app, or give the subdirectory and the apk a name like GoogleWebView if you wanna follow the naming schemes. Permissions of the dir should be set to 755 with chmod and 644 for the apk

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Doesn't really matter, you could just put the apk directly inside the folder /system/app, or give the subdirectory and the apk a name like GoogleWebView if you wanna follow the naming schemes
Which browser are you using then?

When i use DuckDuckGo Browser with bromite webview or Android System webview i can play videos on n-tv.de
The only other mainstream browser than Duckduckgo i know of which uses the systems webview is Via browser.
Most other mainstream browsers like Chrome, Brave, Opera, Firefox have their own browser engine and don't use webview. Even Google Playstore uses it's own browser.

So you could try another browser.
The thing what makes it more complex is that starting with android 10 there's the trichrome library which i think is used in conjunction with webview.
Edit: see https://hackanons.com/2021/06/com-google-android-trichromelibrary.html?amp
If you use playstore then it will automatically install and update this library in the background.

But as i said, Duckduckgo browser with webview works for me on this rom/LOS16 is Android 9 anyway/ so i guess the trichrome library isn't the culprit. Unless ( which i'm not sure of) there exists a constellation where a chromium based browser made for android 10+ depends on it.

If you use other browsers like Firefox then i guess videos not playing is a problem of the browser depending on the website and maybe also the omx codecs on this rom. In the latter case a logcat for ggow would be fitting;)
But more probable: n-tv.de is displaying ads with their videos too, so possibly the adblocking functions of the browser you use lead to a malfunctioning of playing videos on that website, and it doesn't have to do with the suez rom. So you'd have to whitelist the site in your adblocker.
I noted also that Fennec is behind in the versioning compared to Firefox, so maybe an update to Firefox would help in case you use Fennec.

Last edited:

Klaus R

Aug 25, 2018
Which browser are you using then?

When i use DuckDuckGo Browser with bromite webview or Android System webview i can play videos on n-tv.de
Hey, you were right. Duckduckgo shows and plays vids. So my browsers were the culprit
Using fennec, but also tried firefox and chrome. Other device with lineage 17 and Androidwebview has no probs with these browsers
If you use other browsers like Firefox then i guess videos not playing is a problem of the browser depending on the website and maybe also the omx codecs on this rom. In the latter case a logcat for ggow would be fitting
Never did one. Installed Catlog from fdroid and will have a look...

Last edited:

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Hey, you were right. Duckduckgo shows and plays vids. So my browsers were the culprit
Using fennec, but also tried firefox and chrome. Other device with lineage 17 and Androidwebview has no probs with these browsers

Never did one. Installed Catlog from fdroid and will have a look...
Hmm yes, installed current Firefox version with ffupdater, videos from n-tv.de played for me, but the graphics were distorted as in the attached screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-010731_Firefox.png
    Screenshot_20220526-010731_Firefox.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 17

psi78

Feb 22, 2020
Hmm yes, installed current Firefox version with ffupdater, videos from n-tv.de played for me, but the graphics were distorted as in the attached screenshot
Here's an interesting article from a Firefox Mobile developer about using buffers by egl and opengl to enhance performance.
So the problem with firefox not playing videos could be related to the other SurfaceFlinger problems on this rom, as it also uses EGL and Opengl to create buffers for displaying graphics

Edit: Here's a nice presentation about how android graphics system works, including SurfaceFlinger

Edit2: The possible AOSP build flags for SurfaceFlinger are listed here:
and here:

The SurfaceFlinger configuration of the current suez rom 20220506 can be seen with:
:/ # dumpsys SurfaceFlinger
Build configuration: [sf DISABLE_TRIPLE_BUFFERING PRESENT_TIME_OFFSET=0 FORCE_HWC_FOR_RBG_TO_YUV=1 MAX_VIRT_DISPLAY_DIM=0 RUNNING_WITHOUT_SYNC_FRAMEWORK=1 NUM_FRAMEBUFFER_SURFACE_BUFFERS=3] [libui] [libgui]

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: This ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack. See <<< HERE >>> to unlock your devices.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required). This will be fixed in a later update.

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg where possible

Lastest TWRP version
    - 3.6.1-9.2

Downloads

- Google Drive

Source Code

Thanks
    - @k4y0z and @xyz` for the bootloader hack
    - @k4y0z for the initial kernel
    - LineageOS
    🛠 Worklist / Tasks

- [fixed] Bluetooth works
    - [fixed] Audio works
    - [fixed] Internal storage isn't accessible from any app
    - [done] Sensors working
    - [fixed] Touch sounds are working
    - [done] Test audio format playback - mp3 working
    - [done] Tested video playback with NewPipe which is working
    - [fixed] WiFi signal strength not working
    - [done] Support aptX-HD encoder for bluetooth
    - [fixed] No adb during boot
    - [fixed] WiFi working
    - [fixed] Navbar icon corruption
    - [fixed] Wallpaper corruption
    - [fixed] Laggy graphics
    - [fixed] High cpu usage
    - [fixed] DRM not working
    - [fixed] Hardware OMX (for the most part)
    - [fixed] Wired headphones not working
    - [done] Enable OTG USB for ethernet
    - [fixed] Youtube black screen with audio
    - [fixed] MtkOmxCore crash
    - [fixed] Battery showing wrong capacity - reported here
    - [fixed] "There's an internal problem with your device." dialog
    - [fixed] SIM card prompt
    - [fixed] Chrome cannot access internal storage
    - [fixed] Poor WiFi throughput (potential cause of choppy video playback)
    - [fixed] Disney app crashing (more info here)
    - [fixed] Speakers continuing to play while headphones are plugged in
    - [fixed] Cannot switch wifi on after storage encryption enabled
    - [hold] Bluetooth not working properly - can't see issue here
    - [fixed] Magisk update by app
    - [fixed] Storage permission issues (cause of some apps crashing)
    - [done] Upstreamed kernel
    - [todo] TWRP: USB-OTG not working
    - [fixed] USB-OTG Ethernet
    - [fixed] TWRP: MTP access
    - [todo] Voice assist MIC not working
    - [done] Added android.hardware.opengles.aep.xml permissions

- [todo] Shutdown after entering sleep mode (suspect cpu/gpu coming up in the wrong state -> overheating)
    - [todo] Gapps > pico causing not enough space error
    - [todo] Youtube black screen with audio
    - [todo] LiveDisplay not working
    - [todo] Mirrorcast not working
    - [todo] Multi-user not working
    - [todo] Navbar problem when keyboard is in horizontal mode
    - [todo] Playing videos over SMB failure after 30 min (more info here)
    - [todo] Can't connect to hidden WiFi networks
    - [todo] Lego app not working (more info here)
    - [todo] Cameras not working (more info here)
    - [todo] SELinux
    - [todo] Intermittent high idle cpu usage
    - [todo] Investigate L1 widevine support (L3 currently)
    - [todo] Pass safetynet
    - [todo] Device build fingerprinting
    - [todo] Enable zram?
    - [todo] Device encryption (TWRP)
    - [todo] Battery idle mode
    - [todo] Offline charging mode
    - [todo] Low speaker volume
    - [todo] Thermal Shutoff, overheating
    ℹ️ New Build is Up

Dated: 16 March 2022

- [fixed] MtkOmxCore crash
    - [fixed] Better auto adjust on backlight
    - [fixed] SIM card prompt
    - [fixed] Changed battery capacity to 6300mAh
    - [fixed] sdcard access for chrome and other apps
    - [fixed] "There's an internal problem with your device." dialog
    - [info] Explicitly enable sdcardfs
    - [info] Refactor root init scripts
    - [info] Remove deprecated storage_list.xml
    - [info] Clean-up build.prop

Download from Google Drive link on OP.
    But why OP decided to go back to 14.1?

Never said for suez I was going back to 14.1.
    I will be continuing with lineage-16.0 for suez.
    ℹ️ New Build is Up
    Dated: 06 April 2022

- [fixed] Fix KernelUidCpuTimeReader errors
    - [info] Revert audio HIDL from 2.0 to 4.0 back to 2.0 - our drivers aren't ready for this
    - [info] Put storage permissions force close on the todo list
    - [info] Chrome browser works
    - [info] Jelly browser works
    - [info] WeDo lego app works