[ROM] Thor Gapps Rom ( 13.3.2.4 )

Search This thread

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Yep i noticed this bug too since the rom was made but i have no clue how to fix this. Like said before using the lock rotation item in the notification bar is a good work around.

Also noticed some problems connecting to new access point, and like said in the first post some non working settings menu.

I'll try to fix all that in a new rom version soon (could take a week or two) !

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

Reactions: davekaz

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
The screen flip only happens in landscape mode, not portrait.

Temporary work around is turn on the "lock orientation" in the notification area (left most button), then it won't flip.

A slightly better work around is smart-rotator app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xdevelop.rotator_t&hl=en

Turn on fix orientation for the apps you want to "fix".

To fix the orientation bug in the Launcher you can Replace Launcher2.apk in /system/app/ with http://goo.gl/SeiZWm

To do this do the following from a shell window:

adb push Launcher2.apk /sdcard/

adb shell
su (give permission on device screen)
/system/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /system/app/Launcher2.apk /system/app/Launcher2.bak
cp /sdcard/Launcher2.apk /system/app/
reboot

This should cure the flip flop issue in the launcher for you, it does for me :) You'll need to reset your Wallpaper most likely as well as your icon layout but you'll be able to use Landscape without it freaking out in the launcher.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Also noticed some problems connecting to new access point

I noticed that too, but didnt think it was this "ROM"'s problem because when I went back to my stock image it had the exact same issue. I thought it was either something I did when mucking about in the build.prop and system APK's or from an issue in SafeStap that messed up wifi a bit.

What happens to me now is that the wifi wont connect initially, then it will take about 30 seconds or a little more and suddenly say connected. But it wont actually be connected. Then I leave it for 5-10 minutes and it will all of a sudden be properly connected and working fine. I dont care that much because the wifi is far more reliable now then when the device was brand new. At least now it doesnt constantly crash my entire network the moment the tablet connects to wifi (19 out of 20 times) like the fully sdtock device did. Note that the network crashing is not a problem with the tablet, but a terrible bug in Android 4.2 itself. My old tablet did this when it updated to 4.2 (Samsung Galaxy tab 2) and even my Nexus 10 did this occasionally. Wifi is just broken beyond beliefe in Android 4.2 and simply does not work with certain router chipsets from Broadcom.

Last edited:

_Alex_

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 21, 2005
San Jose, CA
I noticed that too, but didnt think it was this "ROM"'s problem because when I went back to my stock image it had the exact same issue. I thought it was either something I did when mucking about in the build.prop and system APK's or from an issue in SafeStap that messed up wifi a bit.

What happens to me now is that the wifi wont connect initially, then it will take about 30 seconds or a little more and suddenly say connected. But it wont actually be connected. Then I leave it for 5-10 minutes and it will all of a sudden be properly connected and working fine. I dont care that much because the wifi is far more reliable now then when the device was brand new. At least now it doesnt constantly crash my entire network the moment the tablet connects to wifi (19 out of 20 times) like the fully sdtock device did. Note that the network crashing is not a problem with the tablet, but a terrible bug in Android 4.2 itself. My old tablet did this when it updated to 4.2 (Samsung Galaxy tab 2) and even my Nexus 10 did this occasionally. Wifi is just broken beyond beliefe in Android 4.2 and simply does not work with certain router chipsets from Broadcom.

Read hashcode's response to cpasjuste in the safestrap thread..... I haven't checked if this ROM is based on hashcode's vanilla, and but if it is, that explains why...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

Almost forgot that there is a similar thread about 7" wifi in Q/A on stock, and so your wifi issue may be hardware, software not rom related...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4

dcoig1

Dec 23, 2013
There definitely seems to be wifi issues. Apps working with wifi disabled and crashing on enable.

meks007

Jun 28, 2010
This is working so well its thrilling - real good work. Thank you.

EDIT:
Everything appears to be working, except for Facebook. When trying to install via Play Store it downloads then fails with Shared Library not found. Out of all apps Facebook is the only one having this error.

EDIT:
Sideloading Facebook doesn't work either.

EDIT:
For waht its worth, Logcat while installing Facebook from Market logs:
Library com.amazon.device.messaging not found for com.facebook.katana

EDIT:
I copied /system/app/com.amazon.device.messaging*.apk from Stock to the Rom Slot and Facebook is working fine now.
Might be some dependency in your cleaned rom still there. Maybe my workaround is dirty, but theres no ill effects as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: davekaz

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
[ROM] thor-gapps-rom

Interesting. What exactly was the change in this new patched "Launcher2"? I wasn't even using their Launcher, but my paid Nova Launcher Prime.

It has a patch in the source code which tells it that the Kindles use a reverse rotation system. The patch was created by a user called Wickets^. All I have done it compile the launcher using that patch :)

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Thanks for the launcher fix, i'll include it in next version !

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
It has a patch in the source code which tells it that the Kindles use a reverse rotation system. The patch was created by a user called Wickets^. All I have done it compile the launcher using that patch :)

Can you do the same to the "Google Experience Launcher" that's part of Kitkat, but can be retrofitted to JB builds? :)

I have some time this weekend I plan to try to retrofit GEL with its 3 files onto the HDX. :) I can live without that fix, but thought it'd be interesting to do it.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
I did find amazon sources a big mess isn't it ?

S_transform

Oct 12, 2012
So I don't know if its helpful or not, but I got bored and started trying different builds of gmail, and anything pre-4.0 works consistently for me with no force closes. Granted its not as pretty as newer versions, but just so everyone knows.

Epedemic

Apr 4, 2007
I am unable to download files through chrome on this (Chrome/Chrome Beta FC's when i try to download anything) Any ideas?

rccollins

Jun 29, 2007
downloading

I am unable to download files through chrome on this (Chrome/Chrome Beta FC's when i try to download anything) Any ideas?

i noticed the same thing for me, i installed ES file explorer and now if i goto download in chrome it asks me which id like to use- this seems to be a workaround for chromes downloader

its not clear if chrome is downloading the file i select or not, its just after i initiate a download i dont see any record of it in the notifications area :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

here is a light custom rom for the Kindle Fire HDX 7", with all amazon apps and services removed and almost aosp (including google apps). I'll try to fix remaining bugs as soon as i have the time to !

Features:
    • All amazon apps removed
    • All amazon background services removed (including OTA update)
    • Google services added (play store, gmail, gallery...)
    • AOSP launcher and apps
    • Rooted

Bugs/Todo:
    • Gmail is crashing
    • Some settings menu not working -> use stock settings app
    • No camera app -> use any other camera app from the market

Installation:
    • Install/update SafeStrap
    • Create a rom slot
    • Flash/restore stock rom DATA to rom slot (optional, but restore partition if problems)
    • Flash thor-gapps-13.3.0.0-v2.zip if you are on firmware 13.3.0.0 or thor-gapps-13.3.2.4-v1.zip for firmware 13.3.2.4 ...

Download:

Changelog:
    • 13.3.2.4-v1
      • built from amazon update 13.3.2.4
      • IF YOUR FIRMWARE IS NOT 13.3.2.4 DON'T UPDATE OR USE THIS ROM
    • 13.3.0.0-v2
      • removed xposed dependency (all changes are done in aosp sources)
      • improve gapps which now include working Google+, Photos ...
      • fix contacts from aosp sources
      • fix brightness menu in aosp settings (SeekBar)
      • fix facebook installation (library error)
      • removed stock settings
      • disabled amazon activity extender (?!)
    • 13.3.0.0-v1
      • fixed DownloadManager (gmail, chrome...)
      • fixed launcher orientation silliness (thanks to CelticWebSolutions !)
      • added chrome and gmail app
      • added aosp settings compiled from sources (com.android.thorsettings)
      • fixed almost all settings when using aosp settings (still problems with SeekBar's like volume and brightness)
      • added aosp keyboard compiled from sources with landscape width fix (removed stock swype)
      • changed bootanimation to aosp one

Credits:
    • Hashcode
    • CelticWebSolutions
    • All of you for your support

thor-gapps-rom-1 is uploading !

Here's the (good) news :

• fixed DownloadManager (gmail, chrome...)
    • fixed launcher orientation silliness (thanks to CelticWebSolutions !)
    • added chrome and gmail app
    • added aosp settings compiled from sources (com.android.thorsettings)
    • fixed almost all settings when using aosp settings (still problems with SeekBar's like volume and brightness)
    • added aosp keyboard compiled from sources with landscape width fix (removed stock swype)
    • changed bootanimation to aosp one
    Else I did start to work on the new update. I think all is OK except I still use the old kernel and since the GPU driver has changed in the kernel there is no rendering.
    I think we could just flash the updated kernel to my modded (updated) ROM but I'm very anxious to do so.

Maybe if there is someone with a non updated spare device we could test together ? (Worst cases is device updated and non rootable or bricked).

My other side project for the HDXs is getting the device into a usasble fastboot state without having a usable OS. To me this is absolutely critical for future development. Its just too risky atm to randomly test flash kernels, etc.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    I did update the rom with some great changes ! Here is the (summary) changelog :

Version 2
    • removed xposed dependency (all changes are done in aosp sources)
    • improve gapps which now include working Google+, Photos ...
    • fix contacts from aosp sources
    • fix brightness menu in aosp settings (SeekBar)
    • fix facebook installation (library error)
    • removed stock settings
    • disabled amazon activity extender (?!)
    New rom uploaded, be sure to read the installation procedure in first post as a few more steps are involved (xposed)