[ROM][Treble][microG]LineageOS 16.0 for HUAWEI P9

Search This thread
This thread is dedicated to provide Lineage-OS 16.0 builds with microG included for the HUAWEI P9 with current security patches.

It is a treble build, therefore it could also work on other devices, but I haven't tested. And yes, the camera works!

Features of this ROM
Download here
  • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
  • Pre-installed AuroraStore
  • Root included (switch on in dev. settings)
  • eSpeakTTS (FOSS TTS engine)
  • Additional security hardening features listed below
  • Access to /proc/net blocked for user apps
  • Bundled netmonitor app to allow network monitoring
  • Enhanced Privacy Guard: Switches for motion sensors and other sensors
  • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
  • Privacy-preferred default settings
  • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking
  • Optional disabling of captive portal detection
  • Firewall UI
  • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
  • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
  • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
  • Additional restrictions for secondary users
  • Increased password length
  • Hardened bionic lib and constified JNI method tables
  • Huawei Stock Camera

Current release levels
Security string: 2021-06-01
AOSP tag: 9.0.0_r46
Bromite System Webview: M91

Source-code and build instructions
Device config.: https://github.com/lin16-microg/device_phh_treble/tree/lin-16.0-eva-p9
Build manifest: https://github.com/lin16-microg/local_manifests/tree/lin-16.0-treble

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty of information available.

Pre-Requisites
  • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
  • An unlocked bootloader
  • EMUI 8.0 firmware

ONLY, If the above pre-requisites are met, download and unpack the linked ZIP file, and flash the .img file via fastboot.
The OpenKirin installation instructions describe this in a very good way, I could not really explain it better (please note, that I have no relation to them, but they are really doing an amazing job!)
Some hints:
  • If you come from an EMUI 8.0 stock ROM or a different treble build (which means, you are already on EMUI 8.0), don't forget the factory reset as described.
  • If you update one of my builds from this thread, you don't need to wipe anything
  • On some (but not all) PCs, you may have to run fastboot as Admin (Windows) or root/sudo (Linux)

If the above pre-requisites are NOT met, you will have some extra-rounds to perform, until you get there:
Unlocked Bootloader
Huawei has stopped providing unlock keys, so if you haven't got one, this thread and of course the search-engine of your choice may be helpful. I was lucky enough to obtain an official unlock key on the last day of HUAWEI's unlock page, so I have no experience with the unofficial unlock methods - good luck!

EMUI 8.0 firmware
Get back to Stock ROM, if you use a Custom ROM. On Stock, if not yet done, apply all updates offered to you by the Stock ROM updater, until you are on the latest officially offered Android 7 (Nougat) EMUI 5.x release.
Once you are on Android 7 (aka Nougat), please visit this thread, which really explains step-by-step, what needs to be done. Really carefully ready everything and follow ALL the steps, especially, don't forget at the very end to flash the Stock EMUI recovery!
IMPORTANT UPDATE:
The linked thread, as well as the Openkirin documentation point - via a Russian firmware site - to the domain 'hicloud.com' for the firmware download, which seems to be down. As suggested by @zgfg you can try either
his Mega link or e.g. https://androidhost.ru/search.html
Update: See this post to obtain the firmware!

You need your unlock key handy: During this process, the bootloader will be automatically locked several times, so you need the key a couple of times to unlock again!
A hint for Linux users: The HWOTA tool is in fact a windows wrapper around Linux shell scripts, so there is no real need to use Windows, if you have a working Linux installation (however, make sure to replace the 'mkdir' commands in hwota_eng.sh with 'mkdir -p').

Bug reports:
If you have a problem, please create a post with these informations:
Build Date:
And try to get log as described here
Please note that I can't and won't support issues with builds using a different kernel or Xposed.
In regards to microG, I will try my best to help when it is related to this ROM (I use it myself), but any questions of the type "the YXZ-app can't do <some sort of fancy xyz Google functionality> properly" are better asked in the respective microG forums.

Credits
AOSP project
LineageOS project
openkirin.net
phhusson
AndyYan
Tecalote
microG project
Graphene OS project
csagan5 (Bromite)
WhyOrean (Aurora)

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][Treble][microG]LineageOS 16.0 for HUAWEI P9, ROM for the Huawei P9

Contributors
MSe1969
Source Code: https://github.com/lin16-microg/device_phh_treble/tree/lin-16.0-eva-p9

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: EMUI 8 firmware
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
Stable
Stable Release Date: 2021-06-12

Created 2020-04-06
Last Updated 2021-06-13

Last edited:
Change Log

June, 13th

• ASB Security String 2021-06-01
  • Bromite Webview updated to 91.0.4472.102
  • microG 0.2.19211515-9

May, 8th
  • ASB Security string 2021-05-01
  • Replaced LineageOS/AOSP Camera with Huawei Stock Camera
  • Fixed image size of system.img, so flash issues with some devices should be fixed
  • Fixed Firmware display info in case of B552 (was still showing as B550 before)
  • AuroraServices updated to version 1.1.1
  • Bromite Webview updated to 90.0.4430.204

April, 10th
  • ASB Security string 2021-04-01
  • Bromite System Webview 90.0.4430.59
  • F-Droid 1.12
  • AuroraStore 4.0.4 with AuroraServices 1.1.0

March, 8th
  • ASB Security string 2021-03-01
  • Bromite Webview on 88.0.4324.207
  • Updated microG from upstream to 0.2.18.204714 (picked until 87465cd)
  • Updated F-Droid to 1.11
  • Updated phh treble app
  • Extended phone number blocking options (Dialer settings)

February, 5th
  • ASB Security string 2021-02-01
  • Bromite Webview on 88.0.4324.141
  • Updated microG from upstream to 0.2.17.204714-5 (picked until 3d2c7e9)
  • Updated F-Droid to 1.10-alpha-234

January 14th, 2021
  • ASB Security string 2021-01-01
  • Bromite Webview on 87.0.4280.131
  • Updated microG from upstream to 0.2.16.204713-10 (picked until 2f29b93)
  • Updated F-Droid to 1.10-alpha1-212
  • 'ADB backup' now works

December 13th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-12-01
  • Bromite Webview on 87.0.4280.106
  • Updated microG from upstream to 0.2.14.204215-15 (picked until 720b089)
  • Updated F-Droid to 1.10-alpha1-114
  • Removed AudioFX from build

November 07th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-11-01
  • Bromite Webview on 86.0.4240.181
  • Fix for CVE-2020-15999
  • Rework of Hotspot Fix
  • Fix of AOSP mail app widget
  • Updated microG (see "interim build")
  • Replaced weak F-Droid signatures with ROM's V2 signatures

October 29th, 2020
  • Interim build with updated microG (fixes GCM issues and exposure notification API issues)

October 07th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-10-01
  • Bromite Webview on 86.0.4240.73
  • microG 0.2.12.203315 - including "Exposure notification API" for use of Covid tracing apps
  • Additional hardening (bionic and constified JNI method tables)
  • Fixed: Hotspot is working now
  • Fixed: AuroraStore now finds all apps

September 12th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-09-01
  • Bromite Webview on 85.0.4183.86
  • Added eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
  • Added P9 overlay with proper power profile & battery stats

August 08th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-08-01
  • Bromite Webview on 84.0.4147.113
  • The location of the firewall functionality has moved to Network > Data usage in Settings (latest cherry-pick from here)

July 10th, 2020
  • ASB Security string 2020-07-01
  • microG: updated prebuilt GmsCore fom /e/ project (fixed FCM registration issues)
  • F-Droid updated to 1.8 / F-Droid privileged extension updated to 0.2.11
  • Aurorastore updated to 3.2.9 / AuroraServices updated to 1.0.6
  • Bromite Webview on 83.0.4103.101
  • Sepolicy: Netmonitor exception f. "Tracker Control" app

June 04th, 2020
  • The June ASB for Android 9 are already part of the May build, see this post for more info
  • Therefore no separate new build for June (in July, there will be a new build again)

May 08th, 2020
  • Sec. string 2020-05-01
  • Bromite Webview on 81.0.4044.127
  • AuroraStore updated to 3.2.8
  • Fix of bundled 'netmonitor' app not starting

April 12th, 2020
  • Sec. string 2020-04-01
  • Fix for CVE-2020-8597 (external/ppp)

April 6th, 2020
Sec. string 2020-03-01
Initial feature list:
  • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid same as the LineageOS for microG project
  • Pre-installed AuroraStore (Version 3.2.4) with AuroraServices 1.0.5
  • Optional disable captive portal detection
  • Firewall UI (Settings => Location & Security)
  • No submission of IMSI/IMEI to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
  • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView 81.0.4044.76

Last edited:
Reactions: Harris-io
Additional security features in detail

1. Pre-installed microG and F-Droid
same as the LineageOS for microG project

2. Pre-installed AuroraStore
works w/o having to enable the "unknown sources feature"

3. Restrict access to /proc/net for user apps
An adapted SELinux policy prevents user apps from accessing the /proc/net pseudo file system, which can be misused to monitor and track the phone's internet traffic. For technical backgrounds, see here. For the legitimate use case of the smart phone owner him/herself monitoring the network traffic to see, what the installed apps do, the app Privacy-Friendly Network Monitor has been bundled.

4. Enhanced Privacy Guard - Sensor permission switches
An own sensor template to control access to motion sensors ('ask' mode) and all other sensors (allowed by default, but can be restricted) has been implemented into the Privacy Guard.

5. Cloudflare (instead of Google) default DNS
Cloudflare DNS has a better privacy policy than Google Public DNS and has DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS. In the deafult DNS settings (as fallback) and network diagnostics, the Cloudflare DNS adresses 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are specified as defaults (instead of Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

6. Privacy-preferred default settings
When newly installed, the below settings are defaulted, different from standard LineageOS 16.0 (all settings can be changed at any time later):
  • Privacy Guard is enabled on install (proposal during Setup)
  • Anonymous LineageOS statistics disabled (proposal during Setup)
  • The standard browsing app does not get the location runtime permission automatically assigned
  • Sensitive information is hidden on the lock screen
  • Camera app: Location tagging disabled by default
Further, when a lock screen protection is set (PIN, pattern, password), the Nfc, Hotspot and airplane mode tiles require authentication and cannot be set without

7. Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking
Settings => Network & Internet (scroll down)
When activated, all outgoing connection attempts to Facebook servers will be suppressed.
Same applies to Google, but certain apps on an internal exception list will still be able to connect (AuroraStore, microG, or e.g. NewPipe, if installed)

8. Optional disable captive portal detection
Settings => Network & Internet (scroll down)
When activated, the system will not ping a specific Google server any longer when establishing a WiFi connection to determine, whether a captive portal is being used.

9. No submission of IMSI or phone number to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
GPS also works fine, if no SIM card is present, so there obviously is no benefit for the phone holder (different from other involved parties :rolleyes:) to provide this data . . .

10. Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
The system's hosts file redirects a comprehensive list of URLs known to be adware, tracking, etc. to 127.0.0.1 (ipv4) and ::1 (ipv6)

11. Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
Instead of the default Chromium System Webview component, the Bromite SystemWebView is used offering more privacy, more ad blocking and less Google tracking.

12. Firewall UI
Settings => Network & Internet - Data usage - Admin. data usage
Lists all apps and allows to restrict Internet access per app in regards to WiFi, mobile network or VPN
This per-app feature is a standard feature in LineageOS, but the UI to show all apps is an Extra (taken from a topic in LineageOS's Gerrit - it may, or may not, become part of the official LineageOS one day)

13. Maximum password length increased to 64

14. Additional restriction options for secondary users
- Disallow app installation option
- Disallow audio recording option

15. Misc. low level hardening
- Hardened bionic lib (see GrapheneOS)
- Constified JNI method tables

Last edited:

Further tips & tricks and open issues

microG initial configuration after 1st install

After the first installation of this ROM, you need to setup microG.
Please read the instructions given on the LineageOS for microG site, section "Post Install - UnifiedNlp"

Custom Kernel ?

A treble build is usually only a system.img file, and the stock kernel is continued to be used. Hence, the stock kernel is outdated.
If you would like to use a more recent upstreamed kernel with the respective sec. patches, e.g. the ECO Kernel thread might be interesting for you. This is what I personally use, but please keep in mind that I cannot support here, all kernel issues should be addressed in that thread!
- with newest firmware b550, kernel is brand-new

Reported to also work on other devices than HUAWEI P9 by forum participants

As I don't own those, I can't confirm - nevertheless, I will list them, when it is reported to me.
  • Honor 8
  • P9 Plus

Magisk

I myself do not use Magisk and the ROM comes with a shipped root solution. Acknowledging, that there are people, who want to use Magisk, I have collected a couple of feedbacks from forum posts:
  • Huawei devices aren't officially supported any longer by current Magisk versions, the latest working version for EMUI 8.0 builds (like this one) is 20.4 - so please only use that version and Magisk Manaer v7.5.1
  • You need the respective file RAMDISK.img from the Huwei Firmware of your device. When the Magisk instructions state 'boot.img', you take the file RAMDISK.img instead. The resulting 'patched_boot.img' file (whatever its real name will be, adapt the name accordingly for the following fastboot command) is to be used for the fastboot command fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img

Current Issues (reported by others and/or observed by myself)

Below a list of known issues and/or limitations. If possible, I try to fix those; however - I definitely welcome any hint on how to solve (or even pull requests). Please report anything you observe, while using this ROM.

1. No LineageOS boot animation after input of encryption password at startup
  • Observed by: myself
  • Well, this is nothing of importance to me, so unless somebody points me to a solution, I won't spend time on fixing this

2. Bluetooth issues - confirmed no issue

• Observed by: other thread participant(s)
  • Issue: No devices found to connect to.
  • I don't have any BT issues with my own device (other than the device initially pairing as "hello!", so you would have to manually change the device name as a one-time activity) - Can't therefore really do anything about it, but wil keep an eye on reports

3. AuroraStore does not find app 'xyz' - solved
In the AuroraStore support thread, this has been also mentioned; it seems that Google is right now altering the search API; the dev is working on it.
Different from a report here in this thread, I was able to search and find many popular apps - the only restriction, which I myself was confronted with, was Netflix. As a work-around, manually download the Netflix apk (older version) from a trustworthy source - the app itself runs fine.

4. Headphone issues (1)
(Physical, no BT) headphone put in headphone jack - solved via work-around

• Observed by: myself
  • Issue: Testing sound volumes in Settings app => all fine. But playing audio / video files or streams only plays good sound for less than 0,5 seconds, afterwards it seems that only the high frequency sounds (treble) are audible, whilst medium and bass is hardly audible.
  • Work-around: Switch off Audio-FX, when headset plugged in (the cool thing is, Audio-FX remembers this, so it switches off, when headset plugged in and switches on again if head-set unplugged)

5. Headphone issues (2)
(Physical, no BT) headphone put in headphone jack

• Observed by: other thread participant
  • Issue: Head-phone not recognized, sound continues to be output to speakers - workaround: "Lesser audioswitch" app
  • Could not reproduce this on my own device

6. WiFi Hotspot - solved

• Observed by: other thread participant and confirmed on my own device
  • Issue: WiFi Hotspot does not work

7. Detailled Battery stats not available - solved

• Observed by: other thread participant and confirmed on my own device
  • Issue: In Battery usage menu, no detail Battery use (per app) available

8. Battery drain - solved
A proper power profile has been added, so battery behavior is quite good now.
IMPORTANT:
Make sure that you make use of 'USB debugging' in the developer options only when you need it and directly turn it off again after use.
Turned on USB debugging is one major reason for battery drain for this device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crohny
it is safe to replace micro-g with opengapps and then install magisk?
Feel free to try, that's all I can say.
Not sure however, whether it'll work in regards to Gapps.
How do you want to flash them? There is AFAIK no TWRP available being able to decrypt the Huawei /data partitions ...
Regarding Magisk, where you definitely need to access the /data partition, there is some instruction on openkirin.net how to do that.
But as said, you're on your own when doing so!

Wattsensi

May 13, 2018
Talca
ROM doesn't route sound to headphones no matter what I do. I tried to force it to switch to headset in phh options and it's still playing sound only on speakers. Also Bluetooth doesn't work, but WLAN and RIL do work.

Stock kernel + stock ramdisk + this ROM
Magisk can be installed by flashing a modified Magisk 18 image that works with B540-02 kernels and then updating it to latest with the manager. But I am not using it for now.

EDIT: Using Lesser Audioswitch from Aurora Store avoids the problem by forcing the audio to be routed manually, but it should work out of the box automatically! Bluetooth still not working.
That aside, good ROM. It is more functional than a generic phh-treble flash and video recording works well. Thanks for your time and effort, this is a good alternative to OpenKirin and ironing out these little issues would make it sweeter. Try looking at other source trees for the necessary device driver definitions

EDIT 2: I misdiagnosed the issue. Bluetooth in fact DOES work, but it has some quirks: The device is initially named 'hello', the BT icon doesn't appear in the status bar and the device must be paired before any transfer, but that seems to be a universal Kirin quirk as well. Further testing pairing, sending, receiving and streaming audio confirm that the BT chip does work but perhaps needs some changes in the Android side.

WLAN, RIL, BT and NFC are all functional.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSe1969
ROM doesn't route sound to headphones no matter what I do. I tried to force it to switch to headset in phh options and it's still playing sound only on speakers. Also Bluetooth doesn't work, but WLAN and RIL do work.

Stock kernel + stock ramdisk + this ROM
Magisk can be installed by flashing a modified Magisk 18 image that works with B540-02 kernels and then updating it to latest with the manager. But I am not using it for now.

EDIT: Using Lesser Audioswitch from Aurora Store avoids the problem by forcing the audio to be routed manually, but it should work out of the box automatically! Bluetooth still not working.
That aside, good ROM. It is more functional than a generic phh-treble flash and video recording works well. Thanks for your time and effort, this is a good alternative to OpenKirin and ironing out these little issues would make it sweeter. Try looking at other source trees for the necessary device driver definitions
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback and the in general positive rating. On my P9, headphones work out of the box - but indeed, the headphone sound isn't that good, will try to have a look here.
Bluetooth works fine as well on my device - haven't tested however after latest tweak for a different area not related to BT. Will test again later today.
Are you using a different device than the P9 maybe?
What is the BT issue exactly on your device?
EDIT: BT works w/o issues, just tested again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wattsensi

Wattsensi

May 13, 2018
Talca
Are you using a different device than the P9 maybe?
It's an EVA-L09 rebranded to AL10, B540 Patch02 firmware. I'm pretty well sure it is indeed an original P9 with a HiSilicon hi3650 SoC.

What is the BT issue exactly on your device?
BT icon on status bar doesn't appear when I try to enable Bluetooth, and the menu cannot find any devices. Also the default device is named 'hello' for some reason it seems like the ROM cannot autodetect the BT chip. I'll try to logcat the issue

Again, thanks for the quick response :)

EDIT: Bluetooth works as intended, but it doesn't display anything.

Attachments

• dmesg-bluetooth.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 17
  • dmesg-headphone.txt
    15 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

dr4rzz

Nov 13, 2019
Yes, I do - April ASB is "already in the pipeline"...
Perfect, that's great! Thank you!

I installed the ROM today and most of it works very well so far.
However, some apps like 'Signal Messenger' or 'WhatsApp' are somehow missing in the Aurora Store, whereas some other apps (e.g. Titanium Backup) can be found and installed as usual.
Since the Aurora Store 3.2.4 works fine with OpenKirin OmniRom Pie (tried today) this seems to be an issue of this ROM.

It's an EVA-L09 rebranded to AL10, B540 Patch02 firmware. I'm pretty well sure it is indeed an original P9 with a HiSilicon hi3650 SoC.

BT icon on status bar doesn't appear when I try to enable Bluetooth, and the menu cannot find any devices. Also the default device is named 'hello' for some reason it seems like the ROM cannot autodetect the BT chip. I'll try to logcat the issue

I'm also using a P9 EVA-L09 rebranded to AL10.
On my phone the bluetooth connection works fine and if a device is connected, the BT icon also appears in the status bar.
But I can confirm, that there is no bluetooth icon in the status bar, when bluetooth is enabled, but no device is connected.

albelushi7

May 11, 2016
Most of things are works will , I have issue that can't find Netflix , Snapchat ...etc . In play store but installed Snapchat Manually and can't login. Try hide with magisk but not working , nice ROM.

Again, thanks for the quick response :)
I have the same device, thanks f. the logs, will have a look soon (after Easter).

Perfect, that's great! Thank you!

I installed the ROM today and most of it works very well so far.
However, some apps like 'Signal Messenger' or 'WhatsApp' are somehow missing in the Aurora Store, whereas some other apps (e.g. Titanium Backup) can be found and installed as usual.
Since the Aurora Store 3.2.4 works fine with OpenKirin OmniRom Pie (tried today) this seems to be an issue of this ROM.
I was able w/o issues to see WA and Signal, but not Netflix. As with Netflix, there are special checks, so looking for a solution. Regarding Signal and WA, I know there is currently still an open issue with Aurora and the changed search API by Google, which causes random issues for search results...

I'm also using a P9 EVA-L09 rebranded to AL10.
On my phone the bluetooth connection works fine and if a device is connected, the BT icon also appears in the status bar.
But I can confirm, that there is no bluetooth icon in the status bar, when bluetooth is enabled, but no device is connected.
Have same device, will have a closer look, thanks for the hint.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many thanks for this info - I have linked your post into the OP.
    Btw, there is also a method to force firmware updates by using HiSuite and Firm (for more info read the Complete Guide there):
    let me explain, I remember that when on emui 5, if you long press the vol - button when display's off, it does a sound, you say a name from your contacts and it calls it for you if the vocal search understood what you said,
    EMUI in general is a whole proprietary software on system level with UI and many features provided - seems that the feature you have described is or was part of it - however, not an AOSP / LineageOS feature. So I can't do anything about it.

another thing if you can put the stock music app, because it was very cooler than the music app on lineage.
    There are many good music apps out there, (e.g. I use VLC) - I don't see the benefit of trying to get the Huawei Stock Music app running, which is most probably deeply integrated into EMUI (which does not exist on the /system partition). . .
    I know that the LineageOS Eleven app has some issues in LineageOS 16.0, but e.g. VLC really works flawlessly for me.

Here's a problem with the songs of every type I have in my phone: when the phone restarts, my clock alarms set the song on the default alarm, overwriting the songs i set as alarm. Another strange thing is the ringtone, when someone calls me, even this if I set a song as my phone ringtone, it always plays the default one.
    I can't observe this behavior on my device. Can you produce some logs?

The strangest and the most annoying one is the music app, I don't know if it's a bad flash that does this thing but when I play some music with bluetooth earphones, everything works just fine, when I try with the speakers, it's a 75% that the song doesn't even play, the minute counter goes forward but I can't hear it, the other 25% works or it does work but it suddently stops and refuses to skip to the next song
    Whilst I was a happy user of the LineageOS Eleven app in LineageOS 15.1, I have stopped using it in LineageOS 16.0 due to various reasons, I could solve some by backporting commits from LineageOS 17.1, but eventually, I have started to use VLC and I really recommend it. One annoying thing I have recently detected is, that it won't play songs downloaded from NewPipe (maybe because of new codecs?); maybe a similar thing as you observed - VLC works fine for me, as mentioned already.
    EMUI in general is a whole proprietary software on system level with UI and many features provided - seems that the feature you have described is or was part of it - however, not an AOSP / LineageOS feature. So I can't do anything about it.

There are many good music apps out there, (e.g. I use VLC) - I don't see the benefit of trying to get the Huawei Stock Music app running, which is most probably deeply integrated into EMUI (which does not exist on the /system partition). . .
    I know that the LineageOS Eleven app has some issues in LineageOS 16.0, but e.g. VLC really works flawlessly for me.

I can't observe this behavior on my device. Can you produce some logs?

Whilst I was a happy user of the LineageOS Eleven app in LineageOS 15.1, I have stopped using it in LineageOS 16.0 due to various reasons, I could solve some by backporting commits from LineageOS 17.1, but eventually, I have started to use VLC and I really recommend it. One annoying thing I have recently detected is, that it won't play songs downloaded from NewPipe (maybe because of new codecs?); maybe a similar thing as you observed - VLC works fine for me, as mentioned already.
    infact it was Music Eleven the problem, VLC apparently fixed the problem, and i used that app to set my ringtone so... problem kinda solved, if anything else happens I'll let you know
    New build with June 2021 ASB patches available

Hi all,
    a new build is available for download (install instructions in OP):

• ASB Security String 2021-06-01
    • Bromite Webview updated to 91.0.4472.102
    • microG 0.2.19211515-9
    Happy flashing!
    Regards, M.
    This thread is dedicated to provide Lineage-OS 16.0 builds with microG included for the HUAWEI P9 with current security patches.

It is a treble build, therefore it could also work on other devices, but I haven't tested. And yes, the camera works!

Features of this ROM
    Download here
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Root included (switch on in dev. settings)
    • eSpeakTTS (FOSS TTS engine)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Optional disabling of captive portal detection
    • Firewall UI
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Hardened bionic lib and constified JNI method tables
    • Huawei Stock Camera

Current release levels
    Security string: 2021-06-01
    AOSP tag: 9.0.0_r46
    Bromite System Webview: M91

Source-code and build instructions
    Device config.: https://github.com/lin16-microg/device_phh_treble/tree/lin-16.0-eva-p9
    Build manifest: https://github.com/lin16-microg/local_manifests/tree/lin-16.0-treble

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty of information available.

Pre-Requisites
    • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
    • An unlocked bootloader
    • EMUI 8.0 firmware

ONLY, If the above pre-requisites are met, download and unpack the linked ZIP file, and flash the .img file via fastboot.
    The OpenKirin installation instructions describe this in a very good way, I could not really explain it better (please note, that I have no relation to them, but they are really doing an amazing job!)
    Some hints:
    • If you come from an EMUI 8.0 stock ROM or a different treble build (which means, you are already on EMUI 8.0), don't forget the factory reset as described.
    • If you update one of my builds from this thread, you don't need to wipe anything
    • On some (but not all) PCs, you may have to run fastboot as Admin (Windows) or root/sudo (Linux)

If the above pre-requisites are NOT met, you will have some extra-rounds to perform, until you get there:
    Unlocked Bootloader
    Huawei has stopped providing unlock keys, so if you haven't got one, this thread and of course the search-engine of your choice may be helpful. I was lucky enough to obtain an official unlock key on the last day of HUAWEI's unlock page, so I have no experience with the unofficial unlock methods - good luck!

EMUI 8.0 firmware
    Get back to Stock ROM, if you use a Custom ROM. On Stock, if not yet done, apply all updates offered to you by the Stock ROM updater, until you are on the latest officially offered Android 7 (Nougat) EMUI 5.x release.
    Once you are on Android 7 (aka Nougat), please visit this thread, which really explains step-by-step, what needs to be done. Really carefully ready everything and follow ALL the steps, especially, don't forget at the very end to flash the Stock EMUI recovery!
    IMPORTANT UPDATE:
    The linked thread, as well as the Openkirin documentation point - via a Russian firmware site - to the domain 'hicloud.com' for the firmware download, which seems to be down. As suggested by @zgfg you can try either
    his Mega link or e.g. https://androidhost.ru/search.html
    Update: See this post to obtain the firmware!

You need your unlock key handy: During this process, the bootloader will be automatically locked several times, so you need the key a couple of times to unlock again!
    A hint for Linux users: The HWOTA tool is in fact a windows wrapper around Linux shell scripts, so there is no real need to use Windows, if you have a working Linux installation (however, make sure to replace the 'mkdir' commands in hwota_eng.sh with 'mkdir -p').

Bug reports:
    If you have a problem, please create a post with these informations:
    Build Date:
    And try to get log as described here
    Please note that I can't and won't support issues with builds using a different kernel or Xposed.
    In regards to microG, I will try my best to help when it is related to this ROM (I use it myself), but any questions of the type "the YXZ-app can't do <some sort of fancy xyz Google functionality> properly" are better asked in the respective microG forums.

Credits
    AOSP project
    LineageOS project
    openkirin.net
    phhusson
    AndyYan
    Tecalote
    microG project
    Graphene OS project
    csagan5 (Bromite)
    WhyOrean (Aurora)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][Treble][microG]LineageOS 16.0 for HUAWEI P9, ROM for the Huawei P9

Contributors
    MSe1969
    Source Code: https://github.com/lin16-microg/device_phh_treble/tree/lin-16.0-eva-p9

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: EMUI 8 firmware
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2021-06-12

Created 2020-04-06
    Last Updated 2021-06-13
    New build with May 2020 ASB

Hi all, a new build is available for download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/li..._a_lineage16_20200508_system.img.zip/download

To install, download, unzip and follow instructions as outlined in OP.
    The build has the following features:
    • Sec. string 2020-05-01
    • Bromite Webview on 81.0.4044.127
    • AuroraStore updated to 3.2.8
    • Fix of bundled 'netmonitor' app not starting

Regards, M.
    New build with July ASB patches

Hi all,
    a new build is available for download (install instructions, see OP):
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/li..._a_lineage16_20200708_system.img.zip/download

• ASB Security string 2020-07-01
    • microG: updated prebuilt GmsCore fom /e/ project (fixed FCM registration issues)
    • F-Droid updated to 1.8 / F-Droid privileged extension updated to 0.2.11
    • Aurorastore updated to 3.2.9 / AuroraServices updated to 1.0.6
    • Bromite Webview on 83.0.4103.101
    • Sepolicy: Netmonitor exception f. "Tracker Control" app

Happy flashing - regards, M.
    Kernel

Just gave a try to the ECO Kernel, which seems to run really fine on the P9.
    Instructions in the linked thread (I flashed the "04.05.20 build with Linaro").

Advantages:
    - Up to date with current patches (Stock kernel is from December 2018)
    - Hopefully better battery behavior

I'll report my impressions soon, after using the device for some time.
    Do you plan to provide regular updates with the latest security patches in the future?
    Yes, I do - April ASB is "already in the pipeline"...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone