[ROM][Treble][microG]LineageOS 16.0 for HUAWEI P9

Search This thread
Thank you. I tried this operation and it showed "owner died".
Thanks for the info. Ok, so file ownership root:everyone and file permissions 660 are as expected, the SELinux context as well. However, the error "owner died" is really strange! Never saw that before.

Can you switch to root in your terminal app? (You would need to allow root for apps in the developer options, restart the terminal app and enter the command 'su'). If yes, try deleting the file as root and show me, what happens. If not, please show me the error.

Yes, Win10 PC. Now I think I made a big mess and even fastboot is not working anymore. I tried to reinstall any Android related drivers with no success. I had both (fastboot & adb) working already a while ago, kept the drivers and tools and thought I can easily re-install everything.

Is there any simple step-by-step list of which drivers I need to make the P9 work fine with windows? Best how to clean all old drivers and which new ones (also tools) are needed after.
I use Linux, which understands fastboot and adb protocols 'out of the box'. I do not use Windows any more on any private device since a couple of years (only Win10 on my work laptop, which belongs to my employer and where I don't have full admin rights).
Therefore: Really sorry, no good advice - maybe other people from the thread know more?

P.S.: Ok, just for completeness: The most important Windows advice after a driver install: REBOOT! (even if the system does not force you to do so)

NPS-2750X

Oct 17, 2021
Thanks for the info. Ok, so file ownership root:everyone and file permissions 660 are as expected, the SELinux context as well. However, the error "owner died" is really strange! Never saw that before.

Can you switch to root in your terminal app? (You would need to allow root for apps in the developer options, restart the terminal app and enter the command 'su'). If yes, try deleting the file as root and show me, what happens. If not, please show me the error.
If I switch to Root in the terminal , the file can be successfully deleted without any error . And I found some extra information about the /DCIM/Camera folder in the stock file manager app , as the pictures below show . I don't know if such items have something to do with the deleting failure.
Screenshot_20220814-104554_.png
Screenshot_20220814-104647_.png
Screenshot_20220814-104652_.png
Screenshot_20220814-104658_.png

If I switch to Root in the terminal , the file can be successfully deleted without any error . And I found some extra information about the /DCIM/Camera folder in the stock file manager app , as the pictures below show . I don't know if such items have something to do with the deleting failure.
To be honest, I have no idea about your issue. Only a last guess:
What you could still try, and what usually does not harm, is to wipe the cache partition in recovery. There should be an option to wipe the cache partition, when you boot to recovery (important: DO NOT wipe the data, aka 'factory reset', only wipe the cache partition! Should be the 3rd option). From what I have understood, when you described, how you had installed the ROM, it seems you have left out that step, so maybe some cache data from the previous Stock EMUI install may still be present any maybe disturb something...?

NPS-2750X

Oct 17, 2021
To be honest, I have no idea about your issue. Only a last guess:
What you could still try, and what usually does not harm, is to wipe the cache partition in recovery. There should be an option to wipe the cache partition, when you boot to recovery (important: DO NOT wipe the data, aka 'factory reset', only wipe the cache partition! Should be the 3rd option). From what I have understood, when you described, how you had installed the ROM, it seems you have left out that step, so maybe some cache data from the previous Stock EMUI install may still be present any maybe disturb something...?
I tried to wipe cache , but it seems that the problem still exists . Well , it doesn't matter because I can delete photos with Root , and this P9 is not my mainly-used device , so there's no need to think about it anymore . I'm sorry for taking you so much time to deal with such a strange problem , and thank you for your developments and answering the questions .
Screenshot_20220815_202057.jpg

P9_User

Oct 27, 2020
I use Linux, which understands fastboot and adb protocols 'out of the box'. I do not use Windows any more on any private device since a couple of years (only Win10 on my work laptop, which belongs to my employer and where I don't have full admin rights).
Therefore: Really sorry, no good advice - maybe other people from the thread know more?

P.S.: Ok, just for completeness: The most important Windows advice after a driver install: REBOOT! (even if the system does not force you to do so)

Hi. back at my workdesk I set up my sandbox raspi and installed adb & fastboot. How funnny, fastboot works but adb still does not show any device number. Anything else I can check to make it work?

P9_User

Oct 27, 2020
Correct, only that switch, and also "pull down" the silent messages and set your USB connection from "charge only" to "data transfer" (Dateiübertragung). It should then work (maybe kill and restart ADB in your PC)
I am working on the Rasperberry Pi now, no PC. Shure, forgot to connect to allowe raspberrys adress to connect. Did that, went to bootloader and adb still not working, killed and started server, does not help.

fastboot has no problems. So its the same thing going on, does not matter if I take my laptop, desktorp or raspi device.

I am working on the Rasperberry Pi now, no PC. Shure, forgot to connect to allowe raspberrys adress to connect. Did that, went to bootloader and adb still not working, killed and started server, does not help.

fastboot has no problems. So its the same thing going on, does not matter if I take my laptop, desktorp or raspi device.
OK, other thing to make sure:
When you are in bootloader mode, only fastboot works, that is normal. When you run your system, and you have enabled debugging, then you can connect via adb (and not via fastboot).
I have understood your last post, that you have tried to use adb, while your phone was in bootloader mode, that of course will never work.

Is the DynamicsProcessing library installed and configured with a commit (more info here)? If not, I kindly ask if you could do it, so that Wavelet can be used.

I enjoy the ROM. Gives new life to an older phone. I especially like that it already has root built in.
Okay, now I have found the time to create a test build here:

As the token dispenser server of AuroraStore is currently down, I can't install the Wavelet app to test myself, so please flash the test build and let me know, whether it's OK now. If yes, this will become part of the ROM.

The link provided by you did contain indeed the necessary information how to solve your issue, but the referred commit was at first misleading. This ROM is an Android 9.0 ROM, but uses the Android 8.0 vendor partition from EMUI 8. The Android 9.0 (LineageOS 16.0) ROM is already by default properly configured and expects the library to be present in the vendor partition, but the lib isn't there! So I had to "tweak" this a little, see here...

lo_ol

Mar 15, 2013
I used fastboot -w before flashing. In the end I ran factory reset in Recovery mode and it showed "Device is being encrypted" before booting into system.
I guess that’s where things went wrong. The problems you described, storage issues after fastboot -w and overheating, are caused by some ancient magisk versions. According to the hi6250 telegram channel, formatting /data via twrp is supposed to fix the mess and to fix overheating get rid off or update magisk. These old versions cause the big cluster to run constantly at its 2.5 ghz maximum frequency on any gsi that runs on top of emui8 vendor

@MSe1969
One small thing that might be worth including in your build is the openkirin signal strength icon fix to be placed in /system/framework. Alternatively there have also been open source patches committed to Phhusson’s A11/12 branches, however these files seem quite different to the A9 file versions. https://github.com/phhusson/platfor...mmit/64fa7c61a0a4b41b9e40a37b673699a45eb88b8c
In any case thanks a lot for the continued support. Very much appreciated(y)

Attachments

• qti-telephony-common.jar
    8.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: MSe1969
@MSe1969
One small thing that might be worth including in your build is the openkirin signal strength icon fix to be placed in /system/framework. Alternatively there have also been open source patches committed to Phhusson’s A11/12 branches, however these files seem quite different to the A9 file versions. https://github.com/phhusson/platfor...mmit/64fa7c61a0a4b41b9e40a37b673699a45eb88b8c
OK, it'll be part of my next build, I have extracted the file from an Openkirin build and made it part of it. However, I don't really see any difference... What exactly does it do?

Reactions: lo_ol

kundifon

Apr 16, 2019
I use this rom a little while. Instead of microG I relly need GApps. Prefered is Open GApps pico as allways.

(MicroG is great thing but don't suit my needs. It's not finish jet. So there is no contact sync, unreliable gmail notifications, google translate doesn't translate at all, google docks don't sync, you cannot buy apps in Aurora store)
I'm used to LineageOS, have it on my Galaxy S4, S8 for few years. Your rom is great to, preferred it from P9 eva stock rom.

How do I switch to GApps and clean up microG?
Whats about signature spoofing, have I to revert something? Will work if I simply patch over the GApps with twrp or Flashify?

Due the lack of info, can you @MSe1969 please direct me, where to start. Root is enabled already.

I use this rom a little while. Instead of microG I relly need GApps. Prefered is Open GApps pico as allways.

(MicroG is great thing but don't suit my needs. It's not finish jet. So there is no contact sync, unreliable gmail notifications, google translate doesn't translate at all, google docks don't sync, you cannot buy apps in Aurora store)
I'm used to LineageOS, have it on my Galaxy S4, S8 for few years. Your rom is great to, preferred it from P9 eva stock rom.
Thanks for the positive feedback about my ROM in general. You seem to feel comfortable in the "Googleverse", which is of course your choice. Hence I will try to give you a pure technical answer without further talking about the impacts on your device and your (then not any more existing) privacy.

First of all, I have no idea, whether this will really work or not - the ROM has some hardening features ported from GrapheneOS, which have privacy and security in mind and the ultimately very last topic, I was even considering, was the question, whether this could have any negative impact on Gapps not running properly. Therefore, I can give you some advice, what you *could* try, but I don't even know, whether this will work or at the end leave you stuck in an ugly boot loop - that is why I do not recommend this and you are on your own - "you have been warned !"

If you succeed, be happy - if not, this is not my problem and I simply cannot give you any further help. The "fix" for the boot loop would be to flash the system.img again via fastboot and then to wipe the /data partition in recovery.

If you still take the decision, that you would like to give this a try, this is, what you could do:
  • TWRP is a recipe for trouble for this device. Unless you have it already running AND your device is therefore unencrypted, I'd be very careful. If you have right now the EMUI recovery, your device is encrypted, and you would need to wipe the /data partition from TWRP after flashing it, which means you loose all your data on the phone.
  • If you by chance have already TWRP on your current setup (and hence an unencrypted device), make sure you will deactivate/freeze the following apps: GMS Core, GSF framework, FakeStore, before you reboot to TWRP (obviously, when you have to anyhow wipe your /data partition, this is not necessary) - I am however afraid, that even then, you may finally have to wipe your /data partition, but you may want to try first without...
  • In any case, having an unencrypted device with TWRP as recovery gives anybody with physical access to your device full access to everything on your phone, so make sure the device will not get stolen or contain any sensitive data
  • Assuming you have TWRP now and are able to flash things, keep in mind, that you will have to continue flashing the system.img of my ROM for each update and repeat all the steps listed below in TWRP, as flashing the system.img will remove the Gapps stuff:

• Get into a root shell and remove (via command rm -rf) the following directories and their content:
    /system/app/AuroraStore
    /system/app/GsfProxy
    /system/priv-app/AuroraServices
    /system/priv-app/FakeStore
    /system/priv-app/GmsCore
  • Afterwards, flash your preferred Gapps package (I can only advice you to use the pico flavor and nothing bigger)
  • The signature spoofing patch will not be an issue for you - if something goes wrong, it will be caused by the other hardening measures, but not the microG patch (if you look at its code, you'll know why)
Good luck !
Cheers, M.

Reactions: kundifon
So there is no contact sync, unreliable gmail notifications, google translate doesn't translate at all, google docks don't sync, you cannot buy apps in Aurora store
Besides my technical answer in the previous post - Please let me know, if you are interested in some more information about how to solve the above topics while using my ROM with microG.

EDIT: Thought it may be interesting also for others, hence some further input

Contact sync
Google (GMail account) is by far not the only service offering you contact / calendar sync. My recommendation would be to use other services in conjunction with the DAVx5 app - see e.g. here: https://www.davx5.com/tested-with/ - there are also free mailers amongst the services.
If you absolutely want to store your contacts in GMail, the below links may provide helpful:

GMail notifications
You don't need the genuine GMail app to access your GMail account - you can configure your GMail account to allow IMAP and use then any E-Mail program, like e.g. the shipped LineageOS EMail app, K9 or FairEmail to name some. In general, I don't understand, why people even use GMail, as every e-mail is scanned by some shady AI for "suspicious activities". There are other freemailers around, which do not perform full scans of your mails - and if you are willing to pay as little as 1€ / 1$ per month, you get a truly private mail account with calendar/contact sync, cloud space and other nice features. (I in general do not recommend freemailers at all, but that is off-topic here)

Buying apps from Aurora
Extract from AuroraStore FAQ: "How do I purchase paid apps ? Purchase the apps from the PlayStore website, and login using your own account in Aurora Store to download them."

Genuine G*Apps
In general, microG aims at providing a compatibility layer to apps having built-in G* dependencies. The genuine Google apps are usually deeply integrated with the 'original' play services, so best is to use alternative apps. And for many (admittedly not all) use cases, the ordinary mobile browser does its job as well.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New build with backported September '22 ASB patches available

Hi all,
    a new build is available for download (update instructions, see OP):

• Custom build release 2022-09-01
    • Bromite Webview 104.0.5112.91
    • microG 0.2.24.214816-30
    • Contacts app slightly 'de-Googled'
    Happy flashing!
    Regards, M.
    So there is no contact sync, unreliable gmail notifications, google translate doesn't translate at all, google docks don't sync, you cannot buy apps in Aurora store
    Besides my technical answer in the previous post - Please let me know, if you are interested in some more information about how to solve the above topics while using my ROM with microG.

EDIT: Thought it may be interesting also for others, hence some further input

Contact sync
    Google (GMail account) is by far not the only service offering you contact / calendar sync. My recommendation would be to use other services in conjunction with the DAVx5 app - see e.g. here: https://www.davx5.com/tested-with/ - there are also free mailers amongst the services.
    If you absolutely want to store your contacts in GMail, the below links may provide helpful:

GMail notifications
    You don't need the genuine GMail app to access your GMail account - you can configure your GMail account to allow IMAP and use then any E-Mail program, like e.g. the shipped LineageOS EMail app, K9 or FairEmail to name some. In general, I don't understand, why people even use GMail, as every e-mail is scanned by some shady AI for "suspicious activities". There are other freemailers around, which do not perform full scans of your mails - and if you are willing to pay as little as 1€ / 1$ per month, you get a truly private mail account with calendar/contact sync, cloud space and other nice features. (I in general do not recommend freemailers at all, but that is off-topic here)

Buying apps from Aurora
    Extract from AuroraStore FAQ: "How do I purchase paid apps ? Purchase the apps from the PlayStore website, and login using your own account in Aurora Store to download them."

Genuine G*Apps
    In general, microG aims at providing a compatibility layer to apps having built-in G* dependencies. The genuine Google apps are usually deeply integrated with the 'original' play services, so best is to use alternative apps. And for many (admittedly not all) use cases, the ordinary mobile browser does its job as well.
    I used fastboot -w before flashing. In the end I ran factory reset in Recovery mode and it showed "Device is being encrypted" before booting into system.
    I guess that’s where things went wrong. The problems you described, storage issues after fastboot -w and overheating, are caused by some ancient magisk versions. According to the hi6250 telegram channel, formatting /data via twrp is supposed to fix the mess and to fix overheating get rid off or update magisk. These old versions cause the big cluster to run constantly at its 2.5 ghz maximum frequency on any gsi that runs on top of emui8 vendor

@MSe1969
    @MSe1969
    OK, it'll be part of my next build, I have extracted the file from an Openkirin build and made it part of it. However, I don't really see any difference... What exactly does it do?
    Thanks! It brings the otherwise static mobile network signal indicator in the top notification bar to life
    This thread is dedicated to provide Lineage-OS 16.0 builds with microG included for the HUAWEI P9 with current security patches.

It is a treble build, therefore it could also work on other devices, but I haven't tested. And yes, the camera works!
    (Although it is based on the work of phhusson's GSI builds, some specific adaptations have been made, so I guess, it is worth a try for further Huawei devices based on EMUI 8, but that's it...)

Features of this ROM
    Download here
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Root included (switch on in dev. settings)
    • eSpeakTTS (FOSS TTS engine)
    • Backported Audio balance (accessibility settings) from Android 10
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Access to /proc/net blocked for user apps
    • Bundled netmonitor app to allow network monitoring
    • Enhanced Privacy Guard: Switches for motion sensors and other sensors
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking
    • Optional disabling of captive portal detection
    • Firewall UI
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Additional restrictions for secondary users
    • Increased password length
    • Hardened bionic lib and constified JNI method tables
    • Huawei Stock Camera

Current release levels
    Custom build release 2022-09-01
    Security string: 2022-01-01
    AOSP tag: 9.0.0_r46
    Bromite System Webview: M104

Source-code and build instructions
    Device config.: https://github.com/lin16-microg/device_phh_treble/tree/lin-16.0-eva-p9
    Build manifest: https://github.com/lin16-microg/local_manifests/tree/lin-16.0-treble

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty of information available.

Pre-Requisites
    • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
    • Know the key combinations to get your phone into fastboot mode and recovery mode
    • An unlocked bootloader
    • EMUI 8.0 firmware
    • Have the Huawei Stock recovery installed (not TWRP)

ONLY, If the above pre-requisites are met, download and unpack the linked ZIP file, and flash the .img file via fastboot (EMUI 8.0 is the tricky pre-requisite - see further below).
    • Get your device into fastboot mode and connect to your PC via USB - the screen should look like below, indicating "PHONE Unlocked"
      P9_fastboot.png
    • Flash the ROM with the command fastboot flash system <name of the rom img file>.img
      fastboot-flash.png
    • Afterwards, enter the command fastboot reboot
    • Hold Power+Vol.Up to get into the Stock recovery:
      p9_stockRecovery.png
    • Choose the option "wipe data/factory reset"
      Don't 'panic' if the operation stops at a percentage significantly lower than 100% and you see a red exclamation mark, all is fine
    • Next, choose "wipe cache partition"
    • Finally choose "reboot system now"

Some hints:
    • If you come from an EMUI 8.0 stock ROM or a different treble build (which means, you are already on EMUI 8.0), don't forget the factory reset as described.
    • If you update one of my builds from this thread, you don't need to wipe anything, so you can skip everything after the 'fastboot reboot' step!
    • On some (but not all) PCs, you may have to run fastboot as Admin (Windows) or root/sudo (Linux)

If the above pre-requisites are NOT met, you will have some extra-rounds to perform, until you get there:
    Unlocked Bootloader
    Huawei has stopped providing unlock keys, so if you haven't got one, this thread, this link and/or of course the search-engine of your choice may be helpful. I was lucky enough to obtain an official unlock key on the last day of HUAWEI's unlock page, so I have no experience with the unofficial unlock methods - good luck!

EMUI 8.0 firmware
    Get back to Stock ROM, if you use a Custom ROM. On Stock, if not yet done, apply all updates offered to you by the Stock ROM updater, until you are on the latest officially offered Android 7 (Nougat) EMUI 5.x release.
    Huawei has shut down however their update servers for older devices and older software releases, so this may become difficult, if you are e.g. still on Android 6 - I don't have a good advice for you in this case.
    Once you are on Android 7 (aka Nougat), please visit this thread, which really explains step-by-step, what needs to be done. Really carefully read everything and follow ALL the steps, especially, don't forget at the very end to flash the Stock EMUI recovery!
    IMPORTANT UPDATE:
    The linked thread, as well as the Openkirin documentation point - via a Russian firmware site - to the domain 'hicloud.com' for the firmware download, which seems to be down. As suggested by @zgfg you can try either
    his Mega link or e.g. https://androidhost.ru/search.html
    Update: See this post to obtain the firmware!
    Update 2: See also here

You need your unlock key handy: During this process, the bootloader will be automatically locked several times, so you need the key a couple of times to unlock again!
    A hint for Linux users: The HWOTA tool is in fact a windows wrapper around Linux shell scripts, so there is no real need to use Windows, if you have a working Linux installation (however, make sure to replace the 'mkdir' commands in hwota_eng.sh with 'mkdir -p').

Android 10, 11 or 12 builds?

Simple answer: There won't be any coming from my end (my aim is to provide daily-driver capable builds and not to boot an experimental GSI with lots of issues and a non-working camera) - so stop wasting everybody's time by repeatedly asking!

Bug reports:
    If you have a problem, please create a post with these informations:
    Build Date:
    And try to get log as described here
    Please note that I can't and won't support issues with builds using a different kernel or Xposed.
    In regards to microG, I will try my best to help when it is related to this ROM (I use it myself), but any questions of the type "the YXZ-app can't do <some sort of fancy xyz Google functionality> properly" are better asked in the respective microG forums.

Credits
    AOSP project
    LineageOS project
    openkirin.net
    phhusson
    AndyYan
    Tecalote
    microG project
    Graphene OS project
    csagan5 (Bromite)
    WhyOrean (Aurora)
    zgfg (for very helpful contributions in this thread)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][Treble][microG]LineageOS 16.0 for HUAWEI P9, ROM for the Huawei P9

Contributors
    MSe1969
    Source Code: https://github.com/lin16-microg/device_phh_treble/tree/lin-16.0-eva-p9

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: EMUI 8 firmware
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2022-09-10

Created 2020-04-06
    Last Updated 2022-09-10
    New build with backported July '22 ASB patches available

Hi all,
    • Custom build release 2022-07-01
    Happy flashing!
    Regards, M.
    New build with April ASB patches available

Hi all,
    • Custom build release 2022-04-01
    • Bromite Webview 100.0.4896.57
    Happy flashing!
    Regards, M.
    New build with May 2020 ASB

Hi all, a new build is available for download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/li..._a_lineage16_20200508_system.img.zip/download

To install, download, unzip and follow instructions as outlined in OP.
    The build has the following features:
    • Sec. string 2020-05-01
    • Bromite Webview on 81.0.4044.127
    • AuroraStore updated to 3.2.8
    • Fix of bundled 'netmonitor' app not starting

Regards, M.
    I will upload the original RAMDISK firmware images for B540, B550 and B552 after my return
    Still,all those AL10-c00 firmwares: b399SP17 (needed for HWOTA7 rebranding from c432 or another Nougat to Chinese Nougat), b528 (first Oreo that HWOTA7 thread was originally developped for), b535, b540 (OP posts were later adapted to), b550 and b552 are available for download from:
    https://www.firmfinder.ml/

Open the page, fill in Eva-Al10 c00 as on the screenshot 1. Scroll down and find the firmwares (not only for AL10 but also for AL00, CL00, DL00 and TL00 - all Chinese)

For any of them, scroll to the right to find File List button - screenshot 2. Open and copy the URL for that filelist.xml.

E.g., for b552 it will be:
    http://update.dbankcdn.com/download...d62a4ae400eaf8f451c81c2d32f/full/filelist.xml

Scroll through the opened xml to find the 3 filenames exactly as below - screenshots 3,4:
    update.zip
    update_full_EVA-AL10_all_cn.zip
    update_data_full_public.zip

Now, remove filelist.xml from its URL as above and combine with subpath= and package= values for those filenames

E.g., for b552:
    package="update_full_EVA-AL10_all_cn.zip"
    subpath="EVA-AL10_all_cn"/>
    it makes:
    http://update.dbankcdn.com/download...9/f6/v3/1afd1d62a4ae400eaf8f451c81c2d32f/full/
    +
    EVA-AL10_all_cn/
    +
    update_full_EVA-AL10_all_cn.zip
    =
    http://update.dbankcdn.com/download...A-AL10_all_cn/update_full_EVA-AL10_all_cn.zip

That way it gives all three URLs for the EVA-AL10 c00 b552 firmware:
    http://update.dbankcdn.com/download...d1d62a4ae400eaf8f451c81c2d32f/full/update.zip

http://update.dbankcdn.com/download...2d32f/full/public/update_data_full_public.zip

http://update.dbankcdn.com/download...A-AL10_all_cn/update_full_EVA-AL10_all_cn.zip