HOW TO INSTALL
LINEAGEOS 16 BETA 6 NO GAPPS
ON HUAWEI DEVICES
17th December 2020
HOW TO INSTALL
LINEAGEOS 16 BETA 6 NO GAPPS
ON HUAWEI DEVICES
17th December 2020
Authored by: RK aka Klorofill_YUM aka Purrrturbed
Tested on the following devices:
Mate 10 Lite (Kirin 659 SoC)
- SPECIAL NOTE #1: To unlock the bootloader the device must be on a firmware earlier than Android 8, thus Android 7, or Android 6, Android 5 will be fine, if using the DC-Unlocker method.
- Additionally, the device must be with a security patch earlier than 1 June 2018. Make sure device is supported by DC-Unlocker, check here (See link: https://www.dc-unlocker.com/supported_models_1/huawei_phones)
- SPECIAL CREDIT TO USER "Chaosdave34" *see comments: Unlocking the bootloader is possible on Android 8 using the PotatoNV method.
- SPECIAL NOTE #2: To install LineageOS the device must be on EMUI 8, therefore on Android 8 with an unlocked bootloader. Additionally, the device must be a supported device - please check OpenKirin’s devices list. All of this considered: in order to satisfy these 2 special requirements this may result in the need for both downgrading and upgrading firmware throughout the following steps. Also, keep in mind: TWRP and other custom recoveries are not supported! Please ensure that the device’s stock recovery installed. Please do not use TWRP or any custom recovery, the following install method will work perfectly fine with only the stock recovery installed. Make sure device is supported by OpenKirin, check here (See link: 4.https://openkirin.net/devices/)
- SPECIAL NOTE #3: It is required that the device being used in is supported by both DC-Unlocker and OpenKirin, if the device does not satisfy both of those requirements, this tutorial is not for that devices. Many files that are mentioned throughout this tutorial are included in the 'Packed by RK' folder. The method is this tutorial is not officially supported by OpenKirin. The Author has no affiliation with OpenKirin or DC-Unlocker. Try at your own risk, the author does not take responsibility for bricked devices.
- On the Android device: Turn on "Enable OEM unlock" & "USB Debugging" options, they are turned on from developer options.
- On the PC: Install HiSuite onto a PC via plugging in the Huawei phone to a PC - This will install all of the required drivers
- Backup any device data to be kept. Installing an OpenKirin ROM for the first time requires a factory reset!
- On the PC: Install ADB & Fastboot using 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3 (see link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979) Downloads: Version 1.4.3 (see link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4623157&d=1540039037)
- On the PC: Install process for adb: Run program (Require administrator privileges), then Press Y/Yes to install ADB and Fastboot or N/No to skip, then Press Y/Yes to install ADB system-wide or N/No for current user only, then Press Y/Yes to install Drivers or N/No to skip, and finally Continue Driver installation and 15 seconds passed - finished!
- Notes about adb installation: System-wide: ADB and Fastboot are installed to %SystemDrive%\adb directory, and added system-wide path. And, current user only: ADB and Fastboot are installed to %UserProfile%\adb directory, and added path for current user. CMD can use ADB and Fastboot from any directory. Drivers are installed to system - no need to install them from directories.
- Now that adb is installed, to continue, the Huawei device must have its bootloader unlocked. Do not skip this step. Do not attempt to load LineageOS ROM unless the bootloader is unlocked. In the follow steps, instructions will be provided for unlocking the bootloader. Please follow the next steps carefully
- SPECIAL WARNING: If the device runs Android 8 or later with latest security patch then this DC-unlock service won't work! (See “Special Note #1” mentioned earlier) - It is important downgrade and restore an earlier firmware if the device is on Android 8.
- With both the Android device and PC: It is strongly recommended to use HiSuite now to downgrade the Huawei phone to its earliest firmware. Plug in the Huawei Phone, open HiSuite > Updates > Other Versions > Earlier Version > Click Restore
- On the PC: Download and then install DC-Unlock from the homepage: (See link: https://www.dc-unlocker.com/), or install DC-Unlock from the Packed by RK folder (See filename: dc-unlocker2client_1.00.1431.zip)
- On the Android device: Connect phone to PC via USB. Then, enable "manufacturer mode" on the phone. This is done by entering the following code into the dial pad: code *#*#2846579#*#* (SPECIAL NOTE #4: On tablets without dial pad use in-built calculator in landscape mode to dial ()()2846579()()= )
- On the Android device: Now, Select "Project Menu" > "Background settings" > "USB ports settings" > "Manufacture mode".
- On the PC: Launch DC-unlocker software
- On the PC: Detect device by selecting Huawei phones from the manufacturers drop down menu list, "Select model" leave on Auto detect (recommended), then read the info on software for how to correctly prepare phone for detection. After phone is prepared, connected to PC and it's drivers installed, click magnifying glass button. Now, wait till program detects it
- On the PC: The information the software will display now will look like something more or less similar to the example below:
|DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1431|
Detecting phone :
manufacturer - Huawei phones
model - Huawei HiSilicon Kirin Android phone (new)
Selected Applications port COM6
Model : Huawei HiSilicon Kirin Android phone (new)
Serial NR. : 2VN5T17A29000000
Firmware : System 18.104.22.168(08SN)
- On the PC: Open Server tab, enter your username and password that you received after credits purchase. To purchase credits, this is can be done via paypal. (Buy credits here, see link: www.dc-unlocker.com/buy). Now, click "Check login" button.
- SPECIAL NOTE #5: Unfortunately there is no way to do this that doesn't require paying a company - this is not a shameless plug for DC-Unlocker. The author of this tutorial does not work for nor is paid buy DC-Unlocker. The unfortunate reality is that at the moment, this paid service is the easiest and fastest method that works for unlocking the bootloader. This does not require opening the device and using the testpoint. That being said, in the opinion off the author, this DC-Unlocker service is well worth the price. For more information on getting credit, username, and password with DC-Unlocker check this source. (See link: https://www.dc-unlocker.com/how-to-get-username-password) If a username and password exists, and this method is familiar, then just add credits to the existing account and login to DC-Unlocker program clicking the "Check login" button.
- On the PC: Open Unlocking tab, click “READ BOOTLOADER CODE” button. Then, wait for code to be provided. Now there is a bootloader code. This is needed for unlocking the bootloader. Save the bootloader code, this is the UNLOCK KEY.
- On the Android device: Return the phone now to its original mode by exiting manufacturing mode, otherwise it might not function properly.
- On the Android device: Please double check that USB debugging is enabled. Then, plug the phone into the PC.
- On the Android device: A popup will appear on the phone screen asking whether to allow the PC to access the phone. Authorize the request.
- On the PC: Open ADB by going to the directory where adb was installed and saved and open CMD/Terminal (Shift+Right-click > open Power Shell or Command Line).
- On the PC: In the command line: type the following command, only use what is written between the " " : "adb devices"
- Your devices should be listed in the adb window, if it isn't, either you didnt install the adb driver properly, or your usb port has problem
- On the PC: In the command line: the following code will reboot the phone to fastboot mode, now type the following command: "adb reboot bootloader"
- SPECIAL NOTE #6: There is another method to enter fastboot mode manually: Follow the next steps:
- On the PC: Keep ADB command prompt open
- On the Android device: disconnect it from the PC, unplug the USB, Shut down the phone, Press and hold Volume Down button and then connect the USB cable to your phone. Phone should now be in fastboot mode.
- On the PC: Once the phone is booted up to the fastboot mode screen, using the adb command line, now type the following command: "fastboot oem unlock [your UNLOCK KEY here]" - Enter this command without the brackets, for example like: fastboot oem unlock 12345678901234
- On the Android device: Confirmation dialog should appear on the phone screen, and give warning about unlocking the bootloader. Follow the instructions on screen, select Yes to unlock. The device will now unlock, please be aware all data on the phone will be wiped with a factory reset. Once the unlocking process is finished, the phone will boot up to the initial set up. At the start of every bootup, a warning screen mentioning unlocked bootloader will be displayed.
- On the Android device: Get past the initial setup. Set everything up through the initial setup, this doesn’t have to be a complete thorough set up. It is recommended to skip all the account settings, security settings, and other settings because later steps in this tutorial will require yet another factory reset again.
- On the Android device: Please update to Android 8 now. It is sufficient to update upto the first earliest Android 8 update, it is unnecessary to update to the latest update available. Now that the bootloader is unlocked, the device must be running EMUI 8.0 in order to install LineageOS 16 Beta 6 by OpenKirin - If the phone was downgraded in order to unlock the bootloader, the phone must now be upgraded via OTA in the phone's settings menu. Please update to Android 8 now - Other versions are not supported and will likely brick the device.
- On the Android device: Get past the initial setup again. Once finished with the initial setup, go to phone settings and re-enable USB Debugging option in developer options
- With both the Android device and PC: Plug the phone into the computer via USB, and from your adb command line, now type the following command: "adb reboot bootloader"
- On the PC: Go to the OpenKirin Downloads page and download the ROM to install. OpenKirin downloads can be found here: (see link: https://openkirin.net/download/) or alternatively, find LineageOS 16 Build 6 included in the 'Packed by RK' folder.
- On the PC: If the ROM downloaded is compressed (file ends with extension .xz), extract the ROM .img file from the compressed file. On Windows PC: either WinRAR or 7-Zip can be used to extract the file.
- On the PC: Once .img file is uncompressed , place the .img file in the same folder as the installed adb fastboot (credit: OpenKirin)
- On the Android device: Power off the device. Then enter fastboot mode. (See step 20 and special note #6 which mentions how to enter fastboot mode earlier in this tutorial)
- SPECIAL NOTE #7: The fastboot mode screen must show “PHONE Unlocked” and “FRP Unlock” - Do not continue if that is not shown.
- With both the Android device and PC: Once on the fastboot screen, keep the device connected to your PC
- On the PC: Open a command line terminal in the same directory as adb fastboot and the copied the ROM .img file. Then, in the command window, enter the following command: “fastboot flash system <name-of-rom-image-file>.” Press enter, and see the ROM flashed.
- On the PC: Once it’s completed, type the following command: “fastboot reboot”
- On the Android device: Unplug the phone now - The phone may reboot quickly and launch right into the new software ROM, but it is absolutely needed to turn off the device. Turn off the the device.
- Before booting up and using the ROM, it is needed to perform a factory reset in the stock recovery. Do not continue without performing a factory reset.
- On the Android device: Now that the device is off, to boot into recovery, hold down Power + VolUp at the same time, and keep them held until the Huawei/Honor logo appears on your screen. If done correctly, the recovery menu will be on screen.
- On the Android device: In the recovery menu, press the “Wipe data/factory reset” button.
- Reboot the device and begin enjoying the ROM!
Sources | Citations
**Planned testing on the following devices in the upcoming future:
P8 Lite 2017 (Kirin 655 SoC) - Test results: (so far) downgrade not possible. Further testing not possible at this time; no device.
Mate 10 (Kirin 970 SoC) - Test results: (so far) Not yet working, downgrade to Android 8 not possible. Further testing will be done in the future; device still on hand.
643.7 MB Views: 29